or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Johnstown, PA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 71

post #2101 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

So is WHVL actually broadcasting a digital signal at this time? I'd like to see if I can rig up something that'll get them OTA.

I know when I just checked it now to see, the quality of the reception has gotten a LOT better than it's been in the past, so I have to wonder if they've finally started broadcasting in digital. There have been times in the past when I've seen it so fuzzy that it looked like I was using rabbit ears connected to my HDTV to get it to come in (but that was several months ago). We do have digital service via cable, BTW.

You can give it a try and see how it comes in for you. I'm willing to bet it won't look half bad...

DGK
post #2102 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

A BIG grain of salt..

One of the posts that was eaten by the AVSforum database mishap was an email response from WJAC's manager saying they had no contract in place with DirecTV and hadn't even heard of any interest from DirecTV about negotiating. I'm not sure who posted it. PA_ManyYak maybe?

Someone doesn't have current information. Considering DirecTV generally does new channel adds on Weds/Thu, 9/15 seems a little hard to believe.

But, we'll see it when we see it.. I'm not a Steelers fan, so I have to eat the cost of ST either way.

I do like the production values of the news and other shows on the NY networks.. It's a lot better than the locals.. Less chance of missing a show due to local interruptions, too, since the O&O channels don't seem to run as much "Paid Advertisements" as the locals. It will be a sad day when DNS finally goes away.

It was not I who posted that information, however I remember the post. I thought it was the WTAJ GM (not important), and his comments were to the effect it's out of our hands. The stations in this market are ready, it's up to the satellite providers (quite important). I believe the post included a prediction of 2009.
post #2103 of 3311
Someone here had posted a question about WHVL's progress toward digital.
That reminded me that the FCC last week approved Peak Media's request to change the call letters of the Fox8 translator station to reflect the switch from the old analog repeater on ch 59 to the new digital one on ch 17. Those of you in the State College area might want to sharpen those tuners and keep an eye out for a ch 17 signal.
post #2104 of 3311
Found this morning:
"Actually last year the lease was extended until December 31, 2009 (and month by month thereafter) when DIRECTV 1R was drifted to 72.5 from 101. http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/servlet/i...ent_key=553806

That said, 16 months is not a long time, so its good to see DIRECTV is jolly on the spot.

Cheers,
Tom"
Credits to dbstalk and Tom Robertson
post #2105 of 3311
And some better news also from dbstalk:

"I work a 72.5 market so maybe I can help.
All 72.5 locals will be converted to mpeg4 from the 99 orbital slot. DirecTV will start Dual Illumination (locals on both the 99 and 72.5) this month. The official D* schedule is:
Lincoln/Hastings, Ne ------8/20/08
Augusta, Ga--------------8/27/08
Chattanooga, Tn---------8/27/08
Johnstown/Altoona, Pa---8/27/08

From what I understand only the mp4 advanced equipment will work until software issues are resolved on the D12's to make them pick up the 99. Locals will continue to come off of the 72.5 for at least 8 months after the scheduled date to accommodate the software issue on standard IRDs, and the impending dish/IRD upgrades.

In the Chattanooga area alone, we have roughly 80-90k new dishes to put up. We have put 5-LNB Ka/Ku's up on every install for over a year now and we are getting slimline3's which will make it slightly easier. But there are only about 50 of us working the area.

There is also a general consensus from the higher ups, that nobody has any idea what the hell will happen when locals are lit up on the 99. D12's may not work, may have to wait on D13s, b-bands? etc."

With credits to dbstalk and Johnnie5000!
No certain word as to whether it will be SD or HD, but I'd think (hope) HD.Enjoy, Directv subscribers
post #2106 of 3311
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhschellenberg View Post

Johnstown/Altoona, Pa---8/27/08

Such an event would bode *very* well for my tailgating plans. Will be nice to have locals, even if in SD, without having to screw around a lot.

I've found that the 5 LNB Slimline dish is not appreciably more difficult to aim than the Phase III was. Last year we had a single dish which I could just about point blind. (And funnily enough on one occasion just stuck it up then let someone else hook up the rest. When I asked if they were ready to point they said it was working already. Great success! ) I'm hoping the tailgating kit won't be very hard to get set up. The toughest part looks to be retrofitting the 5 LNB dish into a portable setup.
post #2107 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Such an event would bode *very* well for my tailgating plans. Will be nice to have locals, even if in SD, without having to screw around a lot.

I've found that the 5 LNB Slimline dish is not appreciably more difficult to aim than the Phase III was. Last year we had a single dish which I could just about point blind. (And funnily enough on one occasion just stuck it up then let someone else hook up the rest. When I asked if they were ready to point they said it was working already. Great success! ) I'm hoping the tailgating kit won't be very hard to get set up. The toughest part looks to be retrofitting the 5 LNB dish into a portable setup.

You might want to be on the lookout for the new Slimline 3 dish which only picks up 99, 101, and 103.
In other news: Latest word is 8/27 for SD and 9/15 for HD>
post #2108 of 3311
Off Topic, Can anyone recommend a good indoor antenna to get CBS in HD? As I understand it, these antennas need a line of sight signal. Would that be correct? In that case would an indoor antenna work?

This is where I live: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.038624&z=15
post #2109 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by awbling View Post

Off Topic, Can anyone recommend a good indoor antenna to get CBS in HD? As I understand it, these antennas need a line of sight signal. Would that be correct? In that case would an indoor antenna work?

This is where I live: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.038624&z=15

If you enter your address in the form at TV Fool, you'll get feedback that will help you with that decision. From what I can see, a lot will depend on whether or not you have a outdoor view toward the southwest (255°.)
If you do, there are several excellent choices. If not, it's a crap shoot.
Good luck.
post #2110 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

I know when I just checked it now to see, the quality of the reception has gotten a LOT better than it's been in the past, so I have to wonder if they've finally started broadcasting in digital. There have been times in the past when I've seen it so fuzzy that it looked like I was using rabbit ears connected to my HDTV to get it to come in (but that was several months ago). We do have digital service via cable, BTW.

You can give it a try and see how it comes in for you. I'm willing to bet it won't look half bad...

If it's a digital broadcast, isn't it usually "you get it or you don't"? I've never gotten a fuzzy digital signal, just maybe some choppy ones.
post #2111 of 3311
I have read through a ton of this and searched over and over, but I cannot find the answer to my question...Does D&E Analog Cable broadcast clearQAM so that I can pull my HD content off of the cable rather than getting an antenna? If so, which channels?
post #2112 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

If it's a digital broadcast, isn't it usually "you get it or you don't"? I've never gotten a fuzzy digital signal, just maybe some choppy ones.

Fuzzy, crummy, choppy...call it what you will, the PQ was awful, especially compared to ALL the other ABB channels (digital or not, HD or not). Now, it's better. That's what I meant. Is it digital now? I've no idea.

DGK
post #2113 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

Fuzzy, crummy, choppy...call it what you will, the PQ was awful, especially compared to ALL the other ABB channels (digital or not, HD or not). Now, it's better. That's what I meant. Is it digital now? I've no idea.

DGK

No it is not yet digital.
That ABB can even pick up the WHVL signal at all from their receive point is a small miracle. They (ABB) have continued to tweak their receive antenna, and have had to deal with the effects (good and bad) of atmospheric and other environmental variables that come with picking up fringe stations.
When the digital version of WHVL comes on the air, and ABB picks it up, the difference will be night and day (and very likely a new channel assignment in the 700 block).
post #2114 of 3311
I had DirecTV installed today in State College and my installer said that SD locals would be received via the 5-LNB dish starting 8/27. He said his boss was having them ask people whether they wanted the 72.5 dish installed or not. I opted to go without it since it seemed a waste to put it up for 4 days.

He said he wasn't sure about whether HD would be coming, but he was also an idiot (told me that HD came on 119, and that 99 and 103 "weren't used for anything", had never heard of SWM).

Bottom line, it sounds like a 99.99% sure thing that SD locals will be available without a side dish starting Wednesday. HD locals - who knows?
post #2115 of 3311
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...ssetId=1620002
Posted by TexasBrit over at DBSTALK!
post #2116 of 3311
Nice!!!!!!!!!!
post #2117 of 3311
Also a guy over at DBSTALK got a call from VP's office confirming local HD by the end of August!
post #2118 of 3311
post #2119 of 3311
Maybe someone here can help me. I have checked my TV to receive QAM Stations (10.1, 10.2...) through my cable, but I cannot get any stations when I plug my cable into my TV's Digital Tuner. Before I moved I was able to use an antenna to get all of my local HD content because I didn't have cable, but where the TV sits now makes it very hard to position an antenna...and I pay for cable which clearly broadcasts it. What's up?

My neighbor plugged his tv into their D&E cable (identical package) and got all of the local HD and extra stations mixed into his cable without any effort?

My TV is a ViewSonic N3252w - 32" LCD TV - widescreen - 720p - HDTV. It has dual tuners:

TV Tuner
Analog TV Tuner - NTSC
Multi-channel Preview - Picture-in-picture (PIP), POP
Stereo Reception System - MTS

Digital TV Tuner
Digital TV Tuner - ATSC

Video Features
HDTV Ready - Yes
Input Video Formats - 480p, 720p, 1080i, 480i
Supported Computer Resolutions - 1024 x 768 (XGA), 1280 x 768 (WXGA), 1360 x 768
Parental Channel Lock - Yes

With the cable plugged into the Analog TV tuner, I get all of the cable stations that I pay for. With the cable plugged into the Digital TV Tuner, I cannot pick up any stations. Am I doing it wrong?
post #2120 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprocket View Post

With the cable plugged into the Analog TV tuner, I get all of the cable stations that I pay for. With the cable plugged into the Digital TV Tuner, I cannot pick up any stations. Am I doing it wrong?

The Viewsonic web page doesn't explicitly list QAM as a tuner type for your TV. It does say NTSC and ATSC. Is it possible that the TV's tuner does not support QAM? Or is it an oversight on the web page info?
post #2121 of 3311
I am not sure. I am not huge into AV stuff and kind of thought that ATSC always got QAM. That would be a good reason that this isn't working.
post #2122 of 3311
ATSC is for over the air digital signals
QAM is for clear cable digital signals.
You can only use a cable signal on a QAM tuner and an UHF/UHF signal on an ATSC tuner.
post #2123 of 3311
Just went to DirecTV.com and looked at the program schedule (15905 zip) - there is now two listings for the Johnstown/Altoona local channels and the second one shows a little "HD" for those shows that are.
post #2124 of 3311
dumb question, but would direct TV have locals in HD in bellefonte/state colllege? if so... i'm glad i just got a new account with a required 12 mo deal for my new apt ARGH all i want is CBS in HD. is that to much to want? hehe
post #2125 of 3311
As of this morning they're HERE!
6, 10 in Glorious Living 1080i HD!
3, 8, 14 (was there previously), 23, and 47 in 480i SD

[edited thaks to Pragon]
post #2126 of 3311
This appears the be the new status of DirecTV locals.....

All are now available with the Slimline-5 dish only (no more 72.5 necessary, though you can still get the SD channels from there if you want)

The following in SD
3,8,14,23,47

The following in HD
6,10

Bummer that for whatever reason 8 and 23 aren't included in HD.
post #2127 of 3311
Both WWCP and WATM are operated by the same people. This would imply that it is a contract negotiation issue. I have just sent an e-mail to the president, Frank Quitoni, asking for an update as to why his channels are not available in HD.

I encourage everyone else to e-mail his as well, if only to pressure him to come to an agreement.

fquitoni@fox8tv.com
post #2128 of 3311
Small clarification: 72.5's are still available, but if you don't have the 72.5 dish they are also on 99 or 103. Don't think we can be sure which one yet.
On the other note, it's not quite the end of August and it just may be a technical glitch/delay on Chs. 8 and 23.
post #2129 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhschellenberg View Post

Small clarification: 72.5's are still available, but if you don't have the 72.5 dish they are also on 99 or 103. Don't think we can be sure which one yet.
On the other note, it's not quite the end of September and it just may be a technical glitch/delay on Chs. 8 and 23.

Do you mean August, not September?

And I agree with you, it may just be a delay. Hopefully that is the case. I would imagine that his response to my e-mail would indicate something along those lines if that were the case. We will see.
post #2130 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post

Do you mean August, not September?

And I agree with you, it may just be a delay. Hopefully that is the case. I would imagine that his response to my e-mail would indicate something along those lines if that were the case. We will see.

What can I say, I'm retired and don't get up this early except for very exceptional circumstances. Thanks for catching!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Johnstown, PA - HDTV