or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Johnstown, PA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 78

post #2311 of 3311
Hey 75ohms thank you for the map. That was nice of you to do. I live well within that line. Cool. By the way does anyone who does receive the channel now know if WHVL is still broadcasting America One content? I use to receive an America One channel on the cable system back in the late 90s and found the channel to be quite interesting. Then I seen they started broadcasting the CFL and I was curious if perhaps WHVL broadcasted any of the CFL games like late at night. By the way thanks again for the map.
post #2312 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post

Wow I did not know that WPSU were having a border dispute with Canada.

All of the stations in western Pennsylvania are within the "Canadian Border Zone" which is for any station within 100 miles of the border. Same with the Canadian side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post

Last night I was messing around with pusing in channel numbers and got something trying to come through on digital 19. Do you know perhaps what channel this may have been?

WEMW-LP in Greensburg is planning to take over 19 for their digital operation when WPCW starts on 11. It was probably some tropo ducting. While ATSC DXing is a lot harder, at least it is easier to figure out what you're receiving thanks to the calls always being broadcast in the signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post

Thanks to the one who posted about RTN6 being on the air. I hardly check 6.2 except for when a storm was coming into the area.

You're welcome. Considering I don't get WJAC-DT.
post #2313 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post

By the way does anyone who does receive the channel now know if WHVL is still broadcasting America One content? I use to receive an America One channel on the cable system back in the late 90s and found the channel to be quite interesting.

You are in luck...presently WHVL is planning on broadcasting America One on their digital secondary channel.

Right now, they do air some A1 content throughout the day on the main channel.
post #2314 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANewsFan View Post

Hi Everybody! I am new to this forum, but I already enjoy reading about HDTV in the Johnstown/Altoona area! I have some news regarding WTAJ in HD on Comcast.

I came across an article on the internet. Because I am new to the forum, I can't post the URL. But, if you would like to read it, Google "WTAJ HD" and go 5 down to the result that says "WTAJ HD is coming!"

It says that Comcast will provide the WTAJ HD feed to viewers by the end of January. I also know somebody that works at the station and they said that they were negotiating a deal with Comcast to provide the HD feed. They also said that if we don't get WTAJ's HD feed by the end of January to call Comcast.

This is great news for us in Central Pennsylvania that watch CBS and WTAJ programming! Thankfully, where I live, I get KDKA in Pittsburgh in HD so I can watch football games or primetime programming in HD, but no local WTAJ programs.

Also, does anybody seem to have a problem with WATM/ABC 23's HD feed. It is a great picture and sound during network programming (i.e. Good Morning America, World News), but during other programming, the audio seems to be distorted - kind of high pitched. For example, Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune. And on the SD channel, the picture seems grainy. Does anybody know why this is?

Can we get this confirmed?
post #2315 of 3311
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman006 View Post

Can we get this confirmed?

There was a post from someone who purports to be involved with Comcast who stated this on dslreports.

Also reports that 860 MHz systems in our area will see 20+ new HDs on 1/26, also.

Not sure of the veracity of the statements but we'll know in three weeks.
post #2316 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

There was a post from someone who purports to be involved with Comcast who stated this on dslreports.

Also reports that 860 MHz systems in our area will see 20+ new HDs on 1/26, also.

Not sure of the veracity of the statements but we'll know in three weeks.

Yeah, it's just hard to take anybody's word for it these days. How many times were we told by comcast employees etc... that a deal was "imminent"?
post #2317 of 3311
I am just posting what I hear and what I read. Like I said, the person I know at WTAJ said that they were negotiating with Comcast for a while and that by the end of January, we should get WTAJ HD. They also said that they have been getting a lot of calls from people complaining, but they were saying that it was Comcast's fault. So, after reading that post on dslreports, I thought it was pretty much a done deal. We will have to wait until the end of January to see.

Also, is it me, or does WATM/ABC 23's picture during programs like Jeopardy on Comcast come in much better on both the SD and the HD channel now. I just noticed it a few days ago. How is WATM/ABC 23's SD picture on DirecTV and Dish Network?

Finally, a question to customers of Dish Network. Are local channels available in HD on Dish and if not, do you get ABC, NBC, CBS, or FOX in HD from another affiliate?
post #2318 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANewsFan View Post

I am just posting what I hear and what I read. Like I said, the person I know at WTAJ said that they were negotiating with Comcast for a while and that by the end of January, we should get WTAJ HD. They also said that they have been getting a lot of calls from people complaining, but they were saying that it was Comcast's fault. So, after reading that post on dslreports, I thought it was pretty much a done deal. We will have to wait until the end of January to see.

Indeed. There has been much written on Nexstar. When they took over the stations in the NEPA market, they got into a spat with one of the cable systems up there over retransmission fees. I think when they say "It's Comcast's Fault" that's code for "Comcast won't pay what we want them to pay, so it's their fault we won't sign the agreement." Since nobody's saying anything official here publicly, we can't know for sure, but the dispute with WBRE and WYOU has made the news..

I went looking for a link to the service electric spat and found that there's another one going on right now:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=SUPP&nid=2228

And the one I was thinking of:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...solve_dispute/

Perhaps the most insightful observation in there is that customers are being asked to pay for a TV station that runs commercials and infomercials. I know I won't be happy until I'm paying to receive my Cialis ads and sham-wow infomercials.


Edit:

BTW, I thought this felt familiar.. Almost 2 years ago, slykens posted this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...01#post9651601

Ah how time flies..
post #2319 of 3311
According to the WPSU schedule on their website, there's been some changes to their channel.

It looks as though WPSU has stopped broadcasting the National PBS HD feed and that the HD feed is now a simulcast of their main channel. They also appear to have added another subchannel (PBS World).

Looks like now they have the following setup:

3.1 WPSU-HD (HD simulcast of 3.2)
3.2 WPSU-DT
3.3 PBS World
3.4 WPSU Create

As I have DirecTV and don't yet get WPSU in HD (no OTA hooked up currently), I'm not sure how much HD content is now being aired. Hopefully their is still a significant amount. Does anybody know if WPSU has the capability to produce local content in HD or will we just be limited to when they show network shows?
post #2320 of 3311
Can anyone confirm the addition of the extra subchannel OTA? I've seen things get added to schedules and not show up on the air for a while after.

- Trip
post #2321 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Can anyone confirm the addition of the extra subchannel OTA? I've seen things get added to schedules and not show up on the air for a while after.

- Trip

Hey Trip, I did a rescan and there is no current channel for Create on WPSU-DT.
post #2322 of 3311
Alright. If anything changes, let me know. I'm leaving it listed on my site as-is until it's actually added.

- Trip
post #2323 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post

According to the WPSU schedule on their website, there's been some changes to their channel.

It looks as though WPSU has stopped broadcasting the National PBS HD feed and that the HD feed is now a simulcast of their main channel. They also appear to have added another subchannel (PBS World).

Looks like now they have the following setup:

3.1 WPSU-HD (HD simulcast of 3.2)
3.2 WPSU-DT
3.3 PBS World
3.4 WPSU Create

As I have DirecTV and don't yet get WPSU in HD (no OTA hooked up currently), I'm not sure how much HD content is now being aired. Hopefully their is still a significant amount. Does anybody know if WPSU has the capability to produce local content in HD or will we just be limited to when they show network shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Can anyone confirm the addition of the extra subchannel OTA? I've seen things get added to schedules and not show up on the air for a while after.

- Trip

WPSU dropped Create some months back when they added PBS World on 3-3. As of two nights ago (the last time I looked in on WPSU OTA,) they were still running only three sub-channels. [note to Trip: I'll check this evening and let you know.]
Well, how about that. I just checked the WPSU listing on the PBS web site, and they have indeed apparently brought back the Create Channel on 3-4. And confirmed on the WPSU site
And yes, the primary SD feed appears to be identical to the HD feed, although I seem to recall that PBS was working in that direction.
I have seen nothing on their air that would indicate WPSU has local HD programming capabilities.
---
The current digital lineup in the A-J-SC Market:
WPSU (RF 15)
3-1 HD - PBS
3-2 SD - PBS
3-3 SD - PBS World
3-4 SD - Create
(WPSU also allocates 1 MB for the Educational Services Portal)

WJAC (RF 34)
6-1 HD - NBC
6-2 SD - RTN6
6-3 SD - NBC

WWCP (RF 29, will be RF 8 on 2/18/09)
8-1 HD - FOX
8-2 SD - ABC23

WTAJ (RF 32)
10-1 HD - CBS
[no subchannels]

WATM (RF 24)
23-1 HD - ABC
23-2 SD - ABC
23-3 SD - FOX8

WKBS (RF 46)
47-1 SD - Cornerstone (religious)
[no subchannels]

WHVL-LD (RF 27) (digital on-air imminent)
29-1 HD - MyTV
29-2 SD - America One
post #2324 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

WPSU dropped Create some months back when they added PBS World on 3-3. As of two nights ago (the last time I looked in on WPSU OTA,) they were still running only three sub-channels. [note to Trip: I'll check this evening and let you know.]
Well, how about that. I just checked the WPSU listing on the PBS web site, and they have indeed apparently brought back the Create Channel on 3-4. And confirmed on the WPSU site
And yes, the primary SD feed appears to be identical to the HD feed, although I seem to recall that PBS was working in that direction.
I have seen nothing on their air that would indicate WPSU has local HD programming capabilities.
---
The current digital lineup in the A-J-SC Market:
WPSU (RF 15)
3-1 HD - PBS
3-2 SD - PBS
3-3 SD - PBS World
3-4 SD - Create
(WPSU also allocates 1 MB for the Educational Services Portal)

I actually saw the Create listing on WPSU's website last week and looked on SiliconDust to see if anything had changed, and didn't see any difference, so I left it alone.

The 24/7 PBS-HD feed ended on 12/21/2008, so yes, it's a simulcast and "HD when available" like the networks. Hopefully they'll stick something useful on 3-2. I'm hoping for the same thing in my area, where right now 15-1 and 15-2 are simulcasting.

Quote:


WKVL-LD (RF 27) (digital on-air imminent)
29-1 HD - MyTV
29-2 SD - America One

How imminent? You'll note I already have it listed on my site (sans subchannels).

Does anyone in the area watch digital TV on a Windows-based computer and an antenna? I could update my listings and get bitrates and whatnot if so.

- Trip
post #2325 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

How imminent? You'll note I already have it listed on my site (sans subchannels).

Does anyone in the area watch digital TV on a Windows-based computer and an antenna? I could update my listings and get bitrates and whatnot if so.

- Trip


According to this post, they are at the mercy of the weather gods, who appear to be filled with wrath at the moment here in PA. The WHVL website also seems to be anticipating an "on air any time now" approach.

Quote:


Does anyone in the area watch digital TV on a Windows-based computer and an antenna? I could update my listings and get bitrates and whatnot if so.

- Trip

I sure there must be some who do, but I have not noticed much discussion of it in this forum lately. (I pulled the WPSU bitrate info off an FCC report.)


I nominate you and Andy S. Lee to the next two openings on the FCC!!
post #2326 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

I sure there must be some who do, but I have not noticed much discussion of it in this forum lately. (I pulled the WPSU bitrate info off an FCC report.)


I nominate you and Andy S. Lee to the next two openings on the FCC!!

I'd gladly accept, too!

- Trip
post #2327 of 3311
To MainyYak: are you actually getting 3.4? I did my scan a bit after noon and I didn't get a 3.4 sub at all.
post #2328 of 3311
Yes I am with Meow Meow on this. I too have scanned my box and did not get 3.4 Create. Now I do remember when it use to be on 3.3, but now that is PBS World. By the way I like the fact that PBS is using the advantage of the multicasting. Plus has anyone heard whatever happened to PBS Kids being on a sub-channel? I thought I once read that they did not have enough in their budget for them to take a chance on running children's programming 24 hours a day that was not provided by a cable or satellite service like their Sprout channel.
post #2329 of 3311
WJAC RTN6 concerns. Does anyone or has anyone else here on this board who receives the new Retro Channel have major audio and video sync issues on RTN6? I was trying to watch an episode of the Incredible Hulk the other night and found it down right tough to watch someone talk and their mouths did not move until two seconds later. Really bizarre watching the boxing episode when you heard the hits then seen the punches land. Just curious if anyone else has had the same issues. Thank you.

Jerry
post #2330 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post

Yes I am with Meow Meow on this. I too have scanned my box and did not get 3.4 Create. Now I do remember when it use to be on 3.3, but now that is PBS World. By the way I like the fact that PBS is using the advantage of the multicasting. Plus has anyone heard whatever happened to PBS Kids being on a sub-channel? I thought I once read that they did not have enough in their budget for them to take a chance on running children's programming 24 hours a day that was not provided by a cable or satellite service like their Sprout channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post

WJAC RTN6 concerns. Does anyone or has anyone else here on this board who receives the new Retro Channel have major audio and video sync issues on RTN6? I was trying to watch an episode of the Incredible Hulk the other night and found it down right tough to watch someone talk and their mouths did not move until two seconds later. Really bizarre watching the boxing episode when you heard the hits then seen the punches land. Just curious if anyone else has had the same issues. Thank you.

Jerry

Give RTN some time. Their ownership recently had a turbulent change (to put it lightly) and they're scrambling to put all the pieces back together. There's all kinds of problems with RTN all over the country.

As for the first comment, am I the only one who things PBS Kids channels are a waste? PBS stations already air kids programming for most of the daytime, and the kids audience probably drops off around 8, so they're basically programming for 4 hours or so per day. Seems rather wasteful to me.

- Trip
post #2331 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post

Yes I am with Meow Meow on this. I too have scanned my box and did not get 3.4 Create.

I too haven't gotten a 3-4 and I just had WPSU on the other night. Unless this is something that was just added in the past day.
post #2332 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 View Post

I too haven't gotten a 3-4 and I just had WPSU on the other night. Unless this is something that was just added in the past day.

I wasn't saying I had received 3-4 (I don't currently have OTA), I was just pointing out that it was on the wpsu.org schedule.
post #2333 of 3311
To trip in VA, in reference to your comment about the waste for PBS kids. I think it all depends on ones viewing habits and if they have kids or not. For me I actually think the whole doubling of channels on WPSU is a waste. For create tv is ok, but I would rather have something to entertain then teaches quilting most of the time.

My RTN is ok now. However if you ask me they have been around for over a few years now and it should not be that bad as it is.

Which raises me to other concerns about the transition. For I wonder what disadvantages people see if any over the transitioning.

For me there will be many times when you will see out of sync audio and video. Not to mention, no battery operated digital televisions yet. Sounds ridiculous but when the power goes out there is not going to be any tv watching to see storms etc. Not to mention the all or nothing principle that goes with the signal. Kind of will miss the analog signals.

Now don't get me wrong for there will be many advantages like the clarity if you get a good percentage of the signal. The content the signal can deliver on the bandwidth and the actual guide information when available in all areas. Still the picture is great when it comes in.
post #2334 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post

To trip in VA, in reference to your comment about the waste for PBS kids. I think it all depends on ones viewing habits and if they have kids or not. For me I actually think the whole doubling of channels on WPSU is a waste. For create tv is ok, but I would rather have something to entertain then teaches quilting most of the time.

I read that kids viewing drops off sharply after 8PM. Why program a 24/7 kids program if no kids will be up to watch it?

I don't have Create in my area so I won't comment on it, but I'm addicted to World. 9 times out of 10, if I can't find anything to watch on TV, I can turn to World and be entertained.

Quote:
My RTN is ok now. However if you ask me they have been around for over a few years now and it should not be that bad as it is.

The old owner was in bankruptcy and is slimy, the new owner basically bought the contracts and has had to start the network from scratch otherwise. The old owner sent the new one the advertising information in the form of a 16,000 page PDF file. And that's just the beginning. I'm normally not so forgiving, but in this case, it's warranted.

- Trip
post #2335 of 3311
Wow Trip in Va quick reply. Appreciate the answers to the RTN. I did not know they were having that kind of difficulty. For the PBS kids well I don't agree with no kids up to watch it, but that is ok. Anyway I admire your knowledge on the whole digital channels.

I do like PBS world better then the Create. I have watched a few shows on World which I think are good shows.

Now since we are on the whole subject of multicasting. Do you think that multicast channels such as RTN, Create Tv, World, The tube, etc. will be a thing of the past within a few years. I say that because I what puzzles me is why a tv station would have another station for viewers to watch which may take away from their regular shows. Not to mention, will the tv stations think it will be worth the money to keep these sub channels up and running? Already Weather X is like gone. It was ok at first for it kept me up to date on big storms which was nice. However, the looping of the same weather just got boring and then they had a web site that gave you the same thing.

Well it has been nice reading your posts. Sorry I don't agree with your view on PBS kids for I think Charlie Ergen feels the same way about a certain kids channel that he splits with a teen channel. However, I admire Charlie and think he is awesome even though I don't agree with all he does. Still though I will never go to his competition.

In all though I will have to say that I do appreciate all the channels I get and can never take any for granted. Especially considering I grew up in the days where I got two channels. A PBS station and a local CBS. So I always have to think about those days and never take any of today's tv viewing and what they can do now for granted.

Take care
post #2336 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post

Wow Trip in Va quick reply. Appreciate the answers to the RTN. I did not know they were having that kind of difficulty. For the PBS kids well I don't agree with no kids up to watch it, but that is ok. Anyway I admire your knowledge on the whole digital channels.

Yes, RTN is in a world of trouble at the moment, we're lucky it's up at all.

As for PBS, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
I do like PBS world better then the Create. I have watched a few shows on World which I think are good shows.

I like two multicast services a whole lot. PBS World, which I have at home, and MHz WorldView, which I have at school (UVA).

You are familiar with the former, when my local PBS is decoding (it spends a lot of time not decoding), I generally catch the 10PM News Hour run, plus World Focus at 11:30, plus reruns of McLaughlin Group (which never gets old to me), plus any number of interesting programs.

MHz WorldView is a different service. It primarily airs international newscasts, and replaces PBS World as my "default" channel at school. I love watching the German and Russian newscasts especially. They also have foreign sports and movies but those are less interesting to me.

Quote:
Now since we are on the whole subject of multicasting. Do you think that multicast channels such as RTN, Create Tv, World, The tube, etc. will be a thing of the past within a few years. I say that because I what puzzles me is why a tv station would have another station for viewers to watch which may take away from their regular shows. Not to mention, will the tv stations think it will be worth the money to keep these sub channels up and running? Already Weather X is like gone. It was ok at first for it kept me up to date on big storms which was nice. However, the looping of the same weather just got boring and then they had a web site that gave you the same thing.

Well, they target different audiences, and allow you more possible choices to sell to advertisers. PBS stations are exempt since they don't rely on ad revenue, but think about it; RTN targets a completely different audience than does a lot of primetime programming these days, so that's a net increase in viewers of WJAC's services if that target audience tunes in. The situation is similar for other channels; in a world where almost everyone can subscribe to a subscription television service, anything to draw viewers to OTA (where there's MUCH less competition) is a good thing for stations.

Quote:
Well it has been nice reading your posts. Sorry I don't agree with your view on PBS kids for I think Charlie Ergen feels the same way about a certain kids channel that he splits with a teen channel. However, I admire Charlie and think he is awesome even though I don't agree with all he does. Still though I will never go to his competition.

I had to look up who that was, but I see. I don't have satellite or cable, so I can't really comment.

Quote:
In all though I will have to say that I do appreciate all the channels I get and can never take any for granted. Especially considering I grew up in the days where I got two channels. A PBS station and a local CBS. So I always have to think about those days and never take any of today's tv viewing and what they can do now for granted.

Take care

I'm very satisfied with the additional programming digital broadcasting has brought me. Analog broadcasting had its benefits, but digital broadcasting is clearly superior in my mind assuming it's working properly. When my family moved to Virginia from New Jersey, we got basically 5 channels. With some antenna work (and affiliation changes) that was increased to 8. Digital instantly increased that to 15 (counting the often-useless PBS).

Good chatting with you.

- Trip
post #2337 of 3311
No dissin' Create... you know those old ladies who the administration tells us need the transition date moved back? One of them is my mom, and she went into a brief depression when WPSU dropped Create. I mean, come on, it's 24-7 crafts and gardening!

Someone was telling me they heard WQED was adding Create as a sub. Not sure if it is true, so take that with the appropriate grain measurement of salt.
post #2338 of 3311
WQED already added Create to 13-2, so I'm told.

- Trip
post #2339 of 3311
On WPSU ... sub 3-4 is not yet up.

On RTN, Trip has already covered the issues pretty well.

As to why broadcasters may/may not do subchannels ... think of it this way: How do TV stations make money? By selling advertising time. Adding a second or third channel increases their finite supply of inventory. Add to that the fact that the days of grabbing 30% or 40% audience share is long gone. With so many choices available to viewers, single digit audience shares are now quite common, and if a second channel can draw any audience (enough to give the sales department something to sell) then it makes business sense.
post #2340 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

Someone was telling me they heard WQED was adding Create as a sub. Not sure if it is true, so take that with the appropriate grain measurement of salt.

It replaced the SD simulcast at 13-2 on Monday. I saw it with Create on Tuesday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Johnstown, PA - HDTV