or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Johnstown, PA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 96

post #2851 of 3311
Pardon the question, but is there a local area thread for Comcast service for this area? (I'm looking for some info on the status of Project Calvary/Analog Reclamation for the State College area.)
post #2852 of 3311
I noticed just now while flipping through the channels that their was no picture and choppy audio on WATM-SD during a college football game. WATM-HD is fine, but I don't know what is going on with WATM-SD. I wonder if this is a problem with WATM or Comcast. Anybody else experiencing this?
post #2853 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANewsFan View Post

I noticed just now while flipping through the channels that their was no picture and choppy audio on WATM-SD during a college football game. WATM-HD is fine, but I don't know what is going on with WATM-SD. I wonder if this is a problem with WATM or Comcast. Anybody else experiencing this?

I'm assuming it has gotten better by now (hopefully)?

In any case I didn't see any problems with WATM SD or HD, but I'm not a Comcast subscriber (I've got ABB).

DGK
post #2854 of 3311
I noticed that night that WATM-SD was back to normal. It must have just been a minor glitch.

Also, Dr. Phil was in 16:9 HD again today on WJAC-HD. This was the season premere of the show. I just hope WJAC continues airing it in HD.

Finally, I was just watching WJAC and they mentioned how this is their 60th anniversary. I noticed they said that they were the first station in the area in color and the first in HD, even though they aren't technically in HD (they are in widescreen upconverted). Could we maybe expect HD studio cameras in the near future? I remember when they first debuted in widescreen 16:9 last April someone wrote that the only issue was something to do with the HD lenses on the studio cameras. Hopefully they have resolved that issue and that they are in HD soon.
post #2855 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANewsFan View Post

...I was just watching WJAC and they mentioned how this is their 60th anniversary...

I'm really glad that they took the time to mention their anniversary. They also could have said that they are the only original local station to retain its original call letters.
post #2856 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

I'm really glad that they took the time to mention their anniversary. They also could have said that they are the only original local station to retain its original call letters.

Just curious to know, what were the original call letters of WTAJ (if anyone else knows them)?

DGK
post #2857 of 3311
WFBG, if I'm not mistaken.

- Trip
post #2858 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

I'm really glad that they took the time to mention their anniversary. They also could have said that they are the only original local station to retain its original call letters.

I'm also glad that they mentioned the 60th anniversary. They just quickly mentioned it last night at 6 and showed a cake with the logo and other goodies at the station. I'm a little bit disappointed, however, that they didn't take a deeper look back, such as showing video from their early years and beyond.

Also, Entertainment Tonight was also in 16:9 Full HD yesterday on WJAC. Ellen and Live with Regis and Kelly are still in 4:3 upconverted to HD. I don't think WJAC will be able to air Live with Regis and Kelly in HD for a while because WJAC is one of the only stations on the east coast that doesn't air it live at 9am, instead on a tape delay at 10am.
post #2859 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WFBG, if I'm not mistaken.

- Trip

Thanks! Way before my time...I just wondered.

WFBG's still around as an AM news/talk radio station, though.

DGK
post #2860 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

Thanks! Way before my time...I just wondered.

WFBG's still around as an AM news/talk radio station, though.

DGK

Yes, the company that operated WFBG-AM (and there was a WFBG-FM as well) put WFBG-TV on the air in the mid 1950s.

WJAC also inherited its call letters from a radio station AM/FM combo. The radio stations no longer use WJAC.

As for the lack of retrospective video... during my time there (1979-1998) very little programming was saved for the archives. News video was selectively saved story by story. It was rare for entire programs to be archived. Sad but true.
post #2861 of 3311
What! NO RON RENINGER TAPES,SHUCKS
post #2862 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

I think your problem is in this step.

How does the original video look before you re-encode it?

It looks pretty much the same except it's wavy instead of blurry per say.

But I guess since Tyra Banks replaced both shows on CW, I don't have to worry about recording or this problem anymore.

Oh well.

Also, I guess WJAC is done with WJAC-SD or 6.3? Seems to have vanished on every tuner I have.
post #2863 of 3311
Comcast did their announced software update on my cable box this morning. I don't see any difference. Any idea what this was for?

Did anyone else get the mailing a week or so ago from Comcast saying that we could get ESPNU in HD (probably on a sports tier)? I don't see it in the channel guide, so I'm guessing they sent us a mailing that doesn't apply to us.
post #2864 of 3311
There shuld be some DVR changes with the new guide, do you have a DVR? A full list of changes is available here:

http://www.comcast.net/newguide/
post #2865 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

Yes, the company that operated WFBG-AM (and there was a WFBG-FM as well) put WFBG-TV on the air in the mid 1950s.

WJAC also inherited its call letters from a radio station AM/FM combo. The radio stations no longer use WJAC.

As for the lack of retrospective video... during my time there (1979-1998) very little programming was saved for the archives. News video was selectively saved story by story. It was rare for entire programs to be archived. Sad but true.

It's too bad there isn't old archive footage available...from there and a lot of TV stations. Who'd have thought ahead and saved them, though?

Ah well!

DGK
post #2866 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by the q View Post

There shuld be some DVR changes with the new guide, do you have a DVR? A full list of changes is available here:

http://www.comcast.net/newguide/

Oh, thanks. I have an HD box without DVR. All I've seen so far is an annoying, huge "On Demand" button that takes up a third of the info box for programs when I press the Info button on the remote. Of course, the program isn't actually available on demand, the button just takes you to the on demand menu for the station you're watching.

If I actually get a "Watch in HD" button for SD programs that are available in HD ... that might be useful.
post #2867 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

It's too bad there isn't old archive footage available...from there and a lot of TV stations. Who'd have thought ahead and saved them, though?

Ah well!

DGK

Video tape was reused so much you could see through it before they finally tossed it. Some of the old films from the 1950s and '60s were converted to video -- but that was mostly news clips from the field.
post #2868 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

If I actually get a "Watch in HD" button for SD programs that are available in HD ... that might be useful.

Try looking at ESPN, ESPN2 or CNN in standard definition. Those channels should always have a "Watch in HD" button in the lower left of the program information bar. It should also be on the broadcast channels and any SD channel that has an HD equivalent (when there is HD programming available of course).
post #2869 of 3311
So, is there any word as to when the Altoona WJAC translator will go on the air?/ is anything happening with it yet?
post #2870 of 3311
Has anyone to the east of Pittsburgh have a loss of OTA signals on channels WQED and WPXI ? I,m getting a zero reading on those [5] All the other channels are coming in great.....[Johnstown area here]
post #2871 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by upzdayzm View Post

Has anyone to the east of Pittsburgh have a loss of OTA signals on channels WQED and WPXI ? I,m getting a zero reading on those [5] All the other channels are coming in great.....[Johnstown area here]

WPXI has been coming in fine for me (signal is near the noise floor, so there are occasional drop outs). I've never had so much as a hint of WQED here in Brownstown.
post #2872 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by upzdayzm View Post

Has anyone to the east of Pittsburgh have a loss of OTA signals on channels WQED and WPXI ? I,m getting a zero reading on those [5] All the other channels are coming in great.....[Johnstown area here]

No change on WPXI and WQED has actually been coming in consistently which was rare for 38. No idea if it is related to the soon-to-occur WQEX move from 26 to that channel.
post #2873 of 3311
JK I Was thinking they may be working on antennas or changing their setup somewhat. I always received those two with a signal of around 50 to 60 ...won't even move the chart one point. Strange? By the way, just renewed my progamming on NPS for the BUD for the year...hope it lasts that long! Sad the way that's going. Have had c- band since the spring of "84". Have not gone FTA as yet... Reguards
post #2874 of 3311
I'm looking for a good VHF-Hi antenna. What are folks around here using? I'm trying to receive WPCW (RF 11) out of Pittsburgh.

I tried the YA 1713 and it's a complete dud.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for this area?
post #2875 of 3311
Check out the Channelmaster 4228
post #2876 of 3311
Found my problem with WQED and WPXI The tenna-rotor was off about 2* maybe due to wind or Little fingers of the grandson. Everythings back to AOK
post #2877 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

I'm looking for a good VHF-Hi antenna. What are folks around here using? I'm trying to receive WPCW (RF 11) out of Pittsburgh.

I tried the YA 1713 and it's a complete dud.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for this area?

http://www.zipinstallation.com/HD_UH.../winhd1080.htm OR try this if your going with TWO antennas
post #2878 of 3311
Upzedayzm, both of the antennas you're recommending to MeowMeow are far inferior to the YA-1713 for VHF high band reception. The YA-1713 is probably the best antenna currently available in the USA for high band VHF reception only. His only other viable alternative is an antenna like the Winegard HD8200U which is a huge all band (channels 2 through 69) antenna, and it may not work either.
post #2879 of 3311
so is fox out for anyone else? Hell's Kitchen recorded with only Sound tonight, no video. I'm so angry. Their sh!t station has been black screening once every hour or two for the past month. It's so amazingly annoying. They better fix this, as it sure seems like their issue, not comcasts. Thank god Hell's Kitchen has episodes online or i'd go beserk. COME ON FOX GET WITH THE PROGRAM
post #2880 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopsazz View Post

so is fox out for anyone else? Hell's Kitchen recorded with only Sound tonight, no video. I'm so angry. Their sh!t station has been black screening once every hour or two for the past month. It's so amazingly annoying. They better fix this, as it sure seems like their issue, not comcasts. Thank god Hell's Kitchen has episodes online or i'd go beserk. COME ON FOX GET WITH THE PROGRAM

It looked fine here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Johnstown, PA - HDTV