or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › New JVC DVHS Decks ( HM-DH5U and HM-DT100 ) Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New JVC DVHS Decks ( HM-DH5U and HM-DT100 ) Discussion - Page 26

post #751 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post

Hoping the DCT 6200 will work with my deck.

I would think it would work fine, but I've not used the DCT-6200 (I assume this is a non-DVR...basically the cable box version of the DCT-6416 or DCT-6412 DVR). I've used the DCT-6412 DVR successfully with my DVHS VCR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post

I did a simple test from my HDV mini dv camcorder. I played hidef video from it via firewire into the D-VHS deck and it picked up the signal. Once the tape played back- the signal was broken up. Now I don't know if that is because HDV is incompatible with D-VHS or not. To be safe- I recorded SD video from the same camera and the D-VHS deck recorded it fine. So Im not sure if its because HD signals are bogging down the deck or not. I haven't tried recording analog video in digital format yet to see what happens, but if it recorded SD fine from the camera, I would suspect analog would be fine as well. So Im still stumped whether its the deck or the DCX unit. I've heard people say they are able to record HDV video on D-VHS, so it could be my deck. But with SD working fine- it doesn't make sense.

I've never used HDV, so I have no idea about compatibility with DVHS.

I do have one question: When you say that the HDV HD was "broken up", was it the exact same type of problem that you saw when recording from the DCX? Because if it is, that hints at the DVHS being the problem. Maybe it's only good up to a certain bit rate before everything falls apart.
post #752 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

I would think it would work fine, but I've not used the DCT-6200 (I assume this is a non-DVR...basically the cable box version of the DCT-6416 or DCT-6412 DVR). I've used the DCT-6412 DVR successfully with my DVHS VCR's.


I've never used HDV, so I have no idea about compatibility with DVHS.

I do have one question: When you say that the HDV HD was "broken up", was it the exact same type of problem that you saw when recording from the DCX? Because if it is, that hints at the DVHS being the problem. Maybe it's only good up to a certain bit rate before everything falls apart.

Yes the 6200 is the non PVR unit. It still is offered for sale here, though a refurb. The HDV video was more broken up then the video from the cable box. It was not clear during most of the time viewing. It could be as you say- the heads could be worn to the point where specific bit rates cannot be recorded properly. I noticed the deck was from a film house, so it could of had hard use. It certainly looked well used.

I also did the final test to see how analog recording to digital is working. The deck set itself to SD speed and I recorded analog video through the rca jacks. Playing back the tape- all is well there. No breaks ups in SD.

So out of this- I still can't conclude whether its the deck or the digital box at fault. What I need is to feed HD video from another source into the deck somehow to test it that way. I do have a firewire input/output on my computer and HD files on my hard drive. But making sure they are in the correct format for the D-VHS deck to record in is an issue.
post #753 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post

So out of this- I still can't conclude whether its the deck or the digital box at fault. What I need is to feed HD video from another source into the deck somehow to test it that way. I do have a firewire input/output on my computer and HD files on my hard drive. But making sure they are in the correct format for the D-VHS deck to record in is an issue.

Do a Google search for .ts files. Those are MPEG-2 transport stream files that are already in the correct format. You can then use CapDVHS to play them back through your computer and have your DVHS unit record them.

I'm sure there are numerous test files floating around on this forum.
post #754 of 772
Found the program and got some files together. For some reason the deck wouldn't record the video. I don't know if I used CapDVHS correctly to play them back or not. I don't think anything went on the tape itself and Im not able to monitor the deck to see if its getting signal when I have it connected to my computer.
post #755 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post

Found the program and got some files together. For some reason the deck wouldn't record the video. I don't know if I used CapDVHS correctly to play them back or not. I don't think anything went on the tape itself and Im not able to monitor the deck to see if its getting signal when I have it connected to my computer.

In CapDVHS you must be on the WrtDVHS tab, select the .ts file (it must be an MPEG-2 .ts file, not an MPEG-4 .ts file) and then click the START btton in CapDVHS.
post #756 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

In CapDVHS you must be on the WrtDVHS tab, select the .ts file (it must be an MPEG-2 .ts file, not an MPEG-4 .ts file) and then click the START btton in CapDVHS.

Tried that. It didn't look like anything was playing after I hit start.
post #757 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post

Tried that. It didn't look like anything was playing after I hit start.

Your DVHS deck must be tuned to the FireWire input channel. BTW, what DVHS deck do you have?
post #758 of 772
First thing I did was to make sure it was on the 1394 input. When I pushed start- it didn't look like anything was happening on my computer. My deck is the DT100.
post #759 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post

First thing I did was to make sure it was on the 1394 input. When I pushed start- it didn't look like anything was happening on my computer. My deck is the DT100.

I'm seeing the same thing...it doesn't want to play it. Maybe it's a bug. I haven't tried doing that in several years and may have been using different software.
post #760 of 772
Could be. Might be because Im using 64 bit software too though.

I guess my next test is just to wait to see how the DCT 6200 works. If that doesn't- then I guess the deck is at fault.
post #761 of 772
Well the DCT 6200 did the trick. Both SD and HD video is being recorded fine on the D-VHS deck from the firewire connection. So it looks like the DCX 3200 has a buggy firewire output.

That said for some reason the S-video out connection seems to be working again. This deck is being weird.

Also it looks like I cannot record HDV video on D-VHS.
post #762 of 772
I have a JVC 40K DVHS unit that I bought largely because it was on a clearance sale and some had said it was a great alternative to the S9800 for playing old VHS tapes in an attempt to convert them to a digital format. It does a nice job stabilizing old tapes, but I had much more pleasing results using a 6-head Toshiba VCR on old tapes that are in pretty good condition.

That being said, I'm curious if this deck will actually output a digital stream over firewire when playing these analog tapes. If so, capturing a mpeg2.ts file from it would prove to be quite useful.

Can this be done?

Disclaimer: I used the 40K to record the firewire output of one of our Comcast DVRs (DCH3416) to DVHS tape a number of times back in 2006, but I've never actually as much as captured the firewire output of the 40K playing one of DVHS tapes to a PC. Are there drivers I need for when the PC discovers the firewire connection? Or are they automatically detected and installed?

Thanks!
post #763 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

I have a JVC 40K DVHS unit that I bought largely because it was on a clearance sale and some had said it was a great alternative to the S9800 for playing old VHS tapes in an attempt to convert them to a digital format. It does a nice job stabilizing old tapes, but I had much more pleasing results using a 6-head Toshiba VCR on old tapes that are in pretty good condition.

That being said, I'm curious if this deck will actually output a digital stream over firewire when playing these analog tapes. If so, capturing a mpeg2.ts file from it would prove to be quite useful.

Can this be done?

Disclaimer: I used the 40K to record the firewire output of one of our Comcast DVRs (DCH3416) to DVHS tape a number of times back in 2006, but I've never actually as much as captured the firewire output of the 40K playing one of DVHS tapes to a PC. Are there drivers I need for when the PC discovers the firewire connection? Or are they automatically detected and installed?

Thanks!

Yes, it can be used to transfer old video tapes onto your computer - that was the primary reason I purchased mine. What drivers are needed depends on what version of Windows you're using. IIRC, Windows 7 had the proper drivers built in - I don't recall needing to install any.
post #764 of 772
When VCR manufacturers all went to the center tape load design, I read it was for technical advantages. Although I read the reasons, I wasn't convinced that there was any real advantage and don't even recall the theory. It is surprising to see a left hand tape load design again.

At least JVC is trying to improve on their less than stellar reliability with previous D-VHS decks.

Chris

post #765 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post

Well the DCT 6200 did the trick...So it looks like the DCX 3200 has a buggy firewire output.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Well that's one more vote against the DCX FireWire, and this directly contradicts what another poster reported about the DCX3200 having working FireWire. Perhaps it's a firmware version thing.
post #766 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

That's good to know. Thanks!

Well that's one more vote against the DCX FireWire, and this directly contradicts what another poster reported about the DCX3200 having working FireWire. Perhaps it's a firmware version thing.

Could it be the MBPS sent via the firewire on the 3200 is higher then the older models? I know this can effect JVC D-VHS decks since its limited to 23 mbps and if its higher- you get breakup at intervals. I see this on HDV video too.
post #767 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post

Could it be the MBPS sent via the firewire on the 3200 is higher then the older models? I know this can effect JVC D-VHS decks since its limited to 23 mbps and if its higher- you get breakup at intervals. I see this on HDV video too.

Yes, it is possible...but I think you're giving the cable company far too much credit; the bandwidth provided to any particular channel is going to be well under the threshold required to confound any D-VHS deck.

I think the most likely explanation is the well-documented troubles that the DCX family of cable boxes and cable DVR's have always had.
post #768 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

Yes, it is possible...but I think you're giving the cable company far too much credit; the bandwidth provided to any particular channel is going to be well under the threshold required to confound any D-VHS deck.

I think the most likely explanation is the well-documented troubles that the DCX family of cable boxes and cable DVR's have always had.

They could be sending the entire unfiltered mux, which I think is 32 mbps, but I suspect they are not doing that since it would send multiple channels and require more processor time on the source dvr. Plus you would see this when opening the stream in VRD, VLC, H2M, etc....

An easy way to determine if they are doing this is to fire up TSReader and look at the stream rate. If they are stuffing 12-20 mbps of null packets I will be shocked. I predict the entire mux is 19-20 including video+audio+null?
post #769 of 772
Just picked up a DT100.

I can't get any audio while using the tuner. Had it hooked up to a crt tv via hdmi and no audio. Hooked it up to one of my PJ's and pic is fine but cannot get any audio into my avr. I can get a dvhs tape to output audio via optical, I cannot get any audio out of it using the digital tuner, I'm guessing you can't get audio via optical while using the built in tuner, so I have tried going with 2 channel and still no go. Used different inputs on my avr with the 2 channel just to be sure.

Ideas? I've been in the settings and there is nothing I can find that will tell the unit to send audio via 2 channel while using the tuner, even though the manual says:

A HDMI to HDMI connection has
been made, but the HDMI digital
sound function at the TV side may
support only 2ch-PCM.
Your TV is unable to decode Dolby
Digital or DTS bitstream, thus there
is no sound output

Possible solution they give:
Make use of the analog audio input
connector coupled with the HDMI
video input at the TV side to connect
to the VCR's audio output.
Make use of the analog audio input
connector coupled with the HDMI
video input at the TV side to connect
to the VCR's audio output
post #770 of 772
Just figured it out. It was in the digital setup up under closed captions and service type. Set it to off and all is well, and the optical does work for the tuner. Damn, took awhile on this one to get it figured out.
post #771 of 772
Welcome to the club.
post #772 of 772
Thanks. I've had a 5U and a couple of 40K players for many years, and the timing was right on picking up the DT100. I have the DT100 hooked up to my main PJ setup, as I turned in my cable box for that setup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › New JVC DVHS Decks ( HM-DH5U and HM-DT100 ) Discussion