SL Trib had an article today confirming that Comcasts analog reclamation project (World of More/Project Calvary) is starting up in Utah.
1. Expanded Basic analog is going away.
2. Analog channels above 22 or so will eventually be turned off.
3. To get the Expanded channels you will need a set top box of some sort (HD box, cheap Digital Tuning Adaptor (DTA) that is not HD or On Demand capable or normal full featured digital adaptor -- or cable card capable device like a TIVO HD).
4. Each household will get 2 or 3 DTA's for 'free' as part of the sub. HD boxes will cost more.
5. Reclamation will start in northern Utah and move south. End date in the fall.
Based on other areas, they will turn off the +22 level analog about 3 or 4 months after the transition starts. In the interim they may decrypt some QAM channels for a while.
Result will be room for more HD channels -- though most likely they will be ones I will never watch (Home Shopping HD anyone?).
The article has some funny errors in it -- see if you can spot the obvious one.
But it has pics of the DTA.