or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Tampa, FL - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tampa, FL - HDTV - Page 39

post #1141 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapFroggie View Post

Note that the specific problem described in the quoted message (local ads produced and/or inserted by 13/613) originates at the producer / programmer, not with BHN, so perhaps a call to WTVT is in order.

I've tried that, several times, to no avail, both by telephone and email. Apparently, they really don't care.
post #1142 of 1737
yeah, even OTA Fox has funky audio problems with dialog on the center channel...

post #1143 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin View Post

I've tried that, several times, to no avail, both by telephone and email. Apparently, they really don't care.

Try writing a letter (snail mail, with a stamp and everything) to a senior executive (CEO, President, etc.) at WTVT. You might remind them that in addition to annoying viewers they may be in violation of FCC standards for DTV. The FCC requires that DTV broadcasters implement the ATSC digital television standard ATSC A/53D.

Specifically: From ATSC A/53D, Annex B, Section 5.5, Dialogue Level:

The value of the dialnorm parameter in the AC-3 elementary bit stream shall indicate the level of average spoken dialogue within the encoded audio program. Dialogue level may be measured by means of an A weighted integrated measurement (LAeq)."

If the average dialog level of the locally inserted material exceeds the average dialog level of the network originated programming then WTVT would be in violation of the ATSC standard. If there is anything that broadcasters hate worse than customer complaints it is attention from the FCC. If you don't get a response from WTVT, write the FCC.

It is sad that the customer feedback and complaint resolution process for companies like WTVT, BHN, and others is so broken that it commonly takes the personal involvement of their viewers and subscribers to get their attention on such routine problems.

Edit:
Contact information for WTVT - a letter to the GM with a copy to the engineering guy would be my recommendation:

http://msi.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/quicksearch.cgi?id=1457

Also, in case that doesn't get the desired result:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html
post #1144 of 1737
From yesterday's Tampa Tribune...Looking at the comparison of the two plans, I had thought Verizon FiOS had more channels than BHN? In any case... price wars should be good for consumers.

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/...7ZE.html?imw=Y
post #1145 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin View Post

As far as the 5C flag, to the best of my understanding it relates to whether copy protection is on or off. Someone else can correct me, please, if I'm wrong. But while I have not tried to record anything off of the firewire port, specifically because I don't have the proper drivers, I went into the diagnostics menu of the Motorola 6200 box, and for the stations I looked at, the 5C flag is zero. AFAIK, that means that copy protection is off which should mean that you can record that station via firewire. However, as I mentioned before, I've not actually tried it out.

The only channels you can record via 1394 (at least in Tampa) are the same channels you get OTA. So you are just as well off with a QAM tuner as the 1394 equipped STB.
post #1146 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

The only channels you can record via 1394 (at least in Tampa) are the same channels you get OTA. So you are just as well off with a QAM tuner as the 1394 equipped STB.

Ben, I never got the drivers to work. But I have an HD Homerun QAM tuner and an R5000 modded Moto 2500, both of which will allow me to record what I want. I was just curious about the firewire output.

Thanks,
post #1147 of 1737
I have one of those nifty little samsung tuners and I am having some problems with knology. I get only a handful of channels(2-3) but I get choppy audio on a bunch of channels but no video. Is there something that I have to do? The model that I have is the 260.
post #1148 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapFroggie View Post

As of March 9th Bright House / Tampa Bay has admitted to a problem with inconsistent audio levels, especially in the digital tier. It is my understanding that work is underway to establish internal standards for digital audio encoding (something that apparently fell in the cracks) so that network programming, local inserts, locally-produced programming (e.g., channel 9, 109), and VOD all have the same average dialog levels. I think we'll see some improvement here in the coming weeks.

Good news -- BN9 Weather and BN9 en Espanol audio level issues have been resolved. BHN is still working on the audio associated with BN9 on Demand and Tampa Bay on Demand; these VOD channels will take longer to fix as all programs will need re-encoded.

Thanks to the engineering and management staff at BHN for their responsiveness.
post #1149 of 1737
Didn't mean to reply to my own thread, but how do I get channels above 900 on the H260? Thats where all the channels are for knology in tampa.
post #1150 of 1737
have had my antenna hooked up no prob with my HD box, cant seem to get channel 44 UPN, used to get it no prob, now it seems signal is no good, get a bunch of other stuff, according to antennaweb the angle if that station is the same and even closer than others i get with plenty of signal, just curious if im just the only one here
live in palm harbor
thanks
post #1151 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlt1 View Post

have had my antenna hooked up no prob with my HD box, cant seem to get channel 44 UPN, used to get it no prob, now it seems signal is no good, get a bunch of other stuff, according to antennaweb the angle if that station is the same and even closer than others i get with plenty of signal, just curious if im just the only one here
live in palm harbor
thanks

I get 44 UPN strong here in Palm Harbor. I have a smallish antenna pointed east on my porch. CBS is the station I have the most trouble with...
post #1152 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

I get 44 UPN strong here in Palm Harbor. I have a smallish antenna pointed east on my porch. CBS is the station I have the most trouble with...

strange............ CBS i used to have some trouble with usually at nite but its ok now, i have one of those large antennas and since my assosication bitched when i hooked it up outside i ended up puttting it in my attic,, ill screw around with it some more, its really big and i can just move it any angle, its up against the beams up there
thanks
post #1153 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorm7 View Post

Why do all of the ota stations crop or strech sd programs on their hdtv broadcast?
Wtog-dt/upn does this the worst, It's annoying weather you have a 4:3 screen or 16:9 because you can't see some of the top and bottom of the image, but it's the worst if you have a 4:3 screen because you can't make it zoom in to fill the screen.

The simpsons looks 10 times better on wtvt-dt/fox than it does on wtog-dt/upn because they don't strech or crop the image.

8-1 streches all their sd shows alot, it's just all about reducing the size of those black bars isn't it?

Whenever their just playing 480i content they should broadcast in 480i, it would make recordings smaller and not have black bars on the side for 4:3 screens and alloy them to play more than one show at a time by multicasting.


I can't find where anyone else talks about this... Why do stations do this? I'm trying to figure out if its my TV or the stations. WTOG (in 16x9) cuts off a portion of the top and bottom picture and has black bars on the side. It's between 4:3 and 16:9.... Also, I think fox13 cuts off a small part of the top and bottom sometimes.

....anyone??
post #1154 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlt1 View Post

strange............ CBS i used to have some trouble with usually at nite but its ok now, i have one of those large antennas and since my assosication bitched when i hooked it up outside i ended up puttting it in my attic,, ill screw around with it some more

You DO know that the FCC has pre-empted many of the deed restrictions and rules associated with installation of outside antennas, right?

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #1155 of 1737
Need some help from the locals.... I live in California, but my mom (not technical) has just moved to Sarasota and got Comcast going directly into her HD QAM capable TV.

I (painfully) walked her through searching for digital stations and she says it found 17, but the numbers seem strange (like fox was 83.3 or 83.8).....

Does anyone have a list of the channel numbers for the core networks that Comcast Sarasota is broadcasting over QAM so I can help her finish setting up her TV (The local comcast guy didn't even know she could get digital channels without a cable box).
post #1156 of 1737
I once knew them, but no longer have Comcast. However there's only 6 HD locals, and I recall 83 and 101 or 102 as being correct. The others that she found are most likely encrypted or not HD. The numbers she found are not strange. Those are the physical channels for Comcast in Sarasota.
post #1157 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbeagle View Post

Need some help from the locals.... I live in California, but my mom (not technical) has just moved to Sarasota and got Comcast going directly into her HD QAM capable TV.

I (painfully) walked her through searching for digital stations and she says it found 17, but the numbers seem strange (like fox was 83.3 or 83.8).....

Does anyone have a list of the channel numbers for the core networks that Comcast Sarasota is broadcasting over QAM so I can help her finish setting up her TV (The local comcast guy didn't even know she could get digital channels without a cable box).



81.1 WTTA HD(ALSO 1.1)
81.2 WFLA HD NBC(ALSO 2.1)
84.1 WWSB HD ABC
84.2 WTSF HD CBS
113.3 WEDU HD PBS
113.4 WTVT HD FOX


I get WTTW HD on 1.1 & WFLA HD on 2.1 with only a ASTC tuner w/o a QAM tuner. NBC & CBS weather+ also usualy come in with QAM but the frequencies seem to change a lot.
post #1158 of 1737
From TampaHDTV.com:

Ok, I know it's taken a bit but...ESPN2HD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All,

It debuts tonight for HDPAK customers. Glad to finally get this one resolved.

Greg



Bright House Networks Tampa will launch ESPN 2 HD this evening between 7pm & 8pm on channel 704.
This service will be available to all HD PAK customers.
(Orlando/CFL BHN will also be launching this evening on their HD PAK Tier)

Now the HD PAK service offers 6 great services.
703- INDemand HD
704- ESPN 2 HD
705- HD Net
706- HD Net Movies
707- ESPN HD
708- Universal HD

Our guide data should be updated to reflect this additional service within the next 24-36 hours. And we will be notifying customers with more details of this exciting new addition early this week.

Enjoy the service!
__________________
Greg
post #1159 of 1737
exciting....
post #1160 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

exciting....


Really. Anyone who really cared about ESPN2 would already be on D* for NFL ST or MLB EI at this point.

And I used to think Directv had the stupidest channel order in HDTV - BHN passed them with this one.

Atleast D* has ESPN and ESPN2HD together - even though ESPN2 is first in their order.

BHN put ESPN2HD at 704 and ESPNHD at 707. WTF are they thinking.

Why didn't they move UHD to 704 and put ESPN2HD on 708. Someone really isn't thinking.

I can think of other channels I would have wanted to see.

HOWEVER.....

I was watching some concerts today on HDNET 705 which is now just macroblock hell - especially with solid red spots or strobes on stage.

And HDNET via StarChoice out of Canada running within 30 seconds of the BHN version (actually 30 seconds fast) was rock solid through the scenes BHN had so much trouble with.

Pretty bad that I can get the signal better from a Canadian DBS than BHN locally.

BHN had better get their bandwidth act together if they want to compete against FIOS effectively. FIOS has only allocated 860Mhz to TV right now so BHN can compete - but they better get it together - because BayNews 9 with their focus on stories outside of Pinellas and Hillsborough is not going to keep customers at this rate once this all shakes out.
post #1161 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

I was watching some concerts today on HDNET 705 which is now just macroblock hell - especially with solid red spots or strobes on stage.

And HDNET via StarChoice out of Canada running within 30 seconds of the BHN version (actually 30 seconds fast) was rock solid through the scenes BHN had so much trouble with.

True macroblocking is most frequently seen as a result of MPEG-2 artifacts, not QAM losses. I wonder if the problem lies elsewhere?

Regarding MPEG-2: At the moment I thought that StarChoice (via Cancom's uplink) was still all MPEG-2. Have they already cut HDNET over to MPEG-4?

Regarding QAM losses: Are you sure you are seeing true macroblocking and not just pixelization caused by data drop outs or other interference (ingress, etc.) on the cable plant? In Pinellas I've seen a number of subscribers with pixelization problems caused by bad house drops.
post #1162 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapFroggie View Post

True macroblocking is most frequently seen as a result of MPEG-2 artifacts, not QAM losses. I wonder if the problem lies elsewhere?

Regarding MPEG-2: At the moment I thought that StarChoice (via Cancom's uplink) was still all MPEG-2. Have they already cut HDNET over to MPEG-4?

Regarding QAM losses: Are you sure you are seeing true macroblocking and not just pixelization caused by data drop outs or other interference (ingress, etc.) on the cable plant? In Pinellas I've seen a number of subscribers with pixelization problems caused by bad house drops.

QAM 561MHz is division-zoned (one QAM on each side of the bay) and not ad-inserted. Current bitrate is 38.7Mb

SD 113 IFC 3.13Mb
SD 124 G4/TechTV 3.22Mb
SD 132 FUSE 3.44Mb
HD 705 HDNet1 12.98Mb
HD 706 HDNet2 16.53Mb

It's being caused by limiting the bandwidth from around 18Mbps to 12.98Mbps on BHN.
post #1163 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

QAM 561MHz is division-zoned (one QAM on each side of the bay) and not ad-inserted. Current bitrate is 38.7Mb

SD 113 IFC 3.13Mb
SD 124 G4/TechTV 3.22Mb
SD 132 FUSE 3.44Mb
HD 705 HDNet1 12.98Mb
HD 706 HDNet2 16.53Mb

It's being caused by limiting the bandwidth from around 18Mbps to 12.98Mbps on BHN.

Good job of data collection! I agree with your analysis.

I'm surprised that BHN feels it necessary to cram 3 SD and two HD channels (especially THESE two high-quality HD channels) into 1 QAM channel, especially given their move to almost-all-digital distribution. You wouldn't think bandwidth limits would be a problem now.

It makes you wonder who makes the decision as to which channels get transcoded and by how much?
post #1164 of 1737
my biggest concern is how I will handle years of e-mail registrations at tampabay.rr.com when I switch to FIOS....

post #1165 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

my biggest concern is how I will handle years of e-mail registrations at tampabay.rr.com when I switch to FIOS....


sign up for gmail as soon as possible
post #1166 of 1737
Why did BHN blackout the Devil Rays home opener in NY today?
post #1167 of 1737
because they can ?
post #1168 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftboomer View Post

Why did BHN blackout the Devil Rays home opener in NY today?

On which station did they black it out? ESPN or FSN?
post #1169 of 1737
Do the Rays even have a local TV affiliate this year? Their website indicates mlb.tv is the choice.
post #1170 of 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

Do the Rays even have a local TV affiliate this year? Their website indicates mlb.tv is the choice.

They were on FSN today, which is probably why they were blacked out on ESPN.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Tampa, FL - HDTV