or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - Cox
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Norfolk, VA - Cox - Page 7

post #181 of 8481
To make life easier for all of us, please move all COX related discussions to the Norfolk, VA - HDTV thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=386418

Thanks!
post #182 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

To make life easier for all of us, please move all COX related discussions to the Norfolk, VA - HDTV thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=386418

Thanks!


What if I have COX related issues that are not HDTV related? I like the "all things COX" thread... Just my .02's...
post #183 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat123 View Post

What if I have COX related issues that are not HDTV related? I like the "all things COX" thread... Just my .02's...

Well, this whole forum section is for "Local HDTV Info and Reception". However, the HDTV thread is open to whatever we want to talk about. So you can put it there.

post #184 of 8481
Is this thread going to be closed?
post #185 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

To make life easier for all of us, please move all COX related discussions to the Norfolk, VA - HDTV thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=386418

Thanks!

I agree it would be easier, but...Will the Cox users finally get a fair shake over there? You know as well as I do that ever since Cox introduced HD in this area, (and before) it was a "four letter word" to some posters, and station engineers as well. I especially get a kick from the guy who was always first to criticize them, but had never been a customer of theirs!

I've had their HD box since day one, and other then one 4 week period where there was a line connection problem, my service has been flawless (not counting 703, of course! ) Now that we have "D lite", USDTV, and OTA which STILL hasn't got it's act together, is Cox that bad? Verizon may be the next big thing, but we'll see. I've been a customer of both Cox and V for over a few decades now; I'll take the former any day.

At least here, the flamers don't bother to even visit, cause THEY HATE COX!
post #186 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

I agree it would be easier, but...Will the Cox users finally get a fair shake over there? You know as well as I do that ever since Cox introduced HD in this area, (and before) it was a "four letter word" to some posters, and station engineers as well. !

He didn't say the OTA broadcast thread. We're trying to merge Cox and the Norfolk HDTV thread.
post #187 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

He didn't say the OTA broadcast thread. We're trying to merge Cox and the Norfolk HDTV thread.

I'm aware of that....but the Cox bashing was going on long before there was an OTA thread. Again, I'm all for the merge, but know what to expect.
post #188 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

I'm aware of that....but the Cox bashing was going on long before there was an OTA thread. Again, I'm all for the merge, but know what to expect.

Well, let's try it. I know there are a couple of COX bashers over there (but mostly in the OTA thread) but it's ridiculous to have to keep up with 3 different threads for this area. Frankly, I'd like to see it all in one thread, but even though Peter is no longer around some other people will still probably get all upset.

post #189 of 8481
Keep this thread open. I have checked the other threads and this one is more relevant to "us" cable users. Sorry if some of you have to check more than one thread.
post #190 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlobo View Post

Keep this thread open. I have checked the other threads and this one is more relevant to "us" cable users. Sorry if some of you have to check more than one thread.

Welcome, but you've never even posted here before. Please everyone, go to the Norfolk, VA - HDTV thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=386418

Thank you.
post #191 of 8481
......because I only recently purchased an HDTV - - I would have had very little input earlier. I also happen to be a Cox subscriber and am more interested in Cox related HDTV issues/questions. I've noticed Norfolk is not the only area with a generic HDTV forum PLUS others for specific providers. Why merge? I am not trying to be an SA but I am trying to understand what benefit you see in merging these groups. It may make it easier for those of you who are interested in all of the other HDTV related chatter (direct TV, OTA, hardware, etc) but it makes it more difficult for those of us who are interested in Cox related issues.
post #192 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

Well, let's try it.


That's fine. If the flame start rolling, we'll just scream "Muskrat" (as in Meet the Fockers )
post #193 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlobo View Post

It may make it easier for those of you who are interested in all of the other HDTV related chatter (direct TV, OTA, hardware, etc) but it makes it more difficult for those of us who are interested in Cox related issues.

Actually, it was better when there was only one thread, because the station engineer (s?) whose station had signed up with Cox Hd was participating. Then we would know if a reception issue would be a national, local, or cable problem. At that time, no one from Cox was adding any input. Now, thanks to Occasio that has changed.
post #194 of 8481
That other thread seems to be largely about OTA reception of HD. Cox does deserve criticism, not discussions on how to use technology from the early 20th century to watch my locals in high-def.

This has been going on for too long. Cox needs to make some sort of compromise with the stations in question. When their competitors start offering the local High-Def stations I guarantee you that Cox will follow suit. If they can do it when pressure is applied by their competitors, they can do it now...they just choose not to negotiate.

It's ludicrous that in 2006 I have to utilize an aerial antenna to get a TV station.
post #195 of 8481
The other thread is about anything we want it to be about.
post #196 of 8481
I monitor all 3 discussions and don't find it a burden at all given the relatively low traffic.

Frankly, I don't like the attitude of some of the frequent posters on the other 2 threads.

JM $.02
post #197 of 8481
Whatever, I give up....

post #198 of 8481
Quote:


If they can do it when pressure is applied by their competitors, they can do it now...they just choose not to negotiate.

Its all about business. They can make more money now without offering NBC,ABC,Fox in HD. If competition forced them to they would offer them already, unfortunatley they dont. It will happen its just a matter of time and money or competition (which equals money).
post #199 of 8481
Yes, it is all about business. Cox wants to maximize profits while at the same time they don't wish to upset subscribers by raising rates. This just requires a bit of give and take from all parties.
post #200 of 8481
Vote with your fingers. If only one person uses this this thread, then it will die from lack of interest. If more use it, then....
post #201 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsrvenge View Post

That other thread seems to be largely about OTA reception of HD. Cox does deserve criticism, not discussions on how to use technology from the early 20th century to watch my locals in high-def.

This has been going on for too long. Cox needs to make some sort of compromise with the stations in question. When their competitors start offering the local High-Def stations I guarantee you that Cox will follow suit. If they can do it when pressure is applied by their competitors, they can do it now...they just choose not to negotiate.

It's ludicrous that in 2006 I have to utilize an aerial antenna to get a TV station.

This is the problem with this thread. There is only ever one topic of discussion- carriage of HD locals. What else is there to talk about with Cox?? I'm with Todd....take it or leave it....whatever. It is just kinda boring and there is nothing here that can't move to the HDTV thread.
post #202 of 8481
I agree with you, Digitude. This Thread is a one trick pony: When is Cox going to get full local HDTV? I am leaving this Thread (I know: Crocodile tears are now streaming from many of you.). Goodbye to one and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

This is the problem with this thread. There is only ever one topic of discussion- carriage of HD locals. What else is there to talk about with Cox?? I'm with Todd....take it or leave it....whatever. It is just kinda boring and there is nothing here that can't move to the HDTV thread.
post #203 of 8481
Does anyone have a clue when the test channels will be remapped? I seem to have access to them all now. I believe I read earlier that these were just dups of the analog channels (with better sound) and not 'digitized'. If so, does cox plan to give us digital versions of the current analog channels?
post #204 of 8481
Does anyone have a list of unencrypted channels (analog & digital)? On a rare occasion I would like to record two channels and watch a third. I have the cable split with one feed going to my 6416 DVR and the other to my TV's digital tuner. My TV finds over 100 d-channels but most are scrambled. If I find a viewable channel, when I go back the next day there is nothing there. Do I need to move the cable feed to my TV's analog tuner? If I do this will I get the normal analog channels (the ones I subscribe to)?
post #205 of 8481
Nmlobo to answer your question in a typical Cox answer..soon. lol. Some areas have already had it remapped no idea of the the schedule.
post #206 of 8481
What is up with COX and local commercials? I swear they are 50% louder than the feed that you're currently watching. Is there any type of regulation on the volume of the commercials vs. the shows being watched? I always have to mute the TV every time the COX locals come on...

I wonder if local advertisers care that some people turn off their sound on purpose? If COX kept the volume at the same level or lower, I'd be happy to let the commercials play without messing with it.

Is it just me?
post #207 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat123 View Post

What is up with COX and local commercials? I swear they are 50% louder than the feed that you're currently watching. Is there any type of regulation on the volume of the commercials vs. the shows being watched? I always have to mute the TV every time the COX locals come on...

I wonder if local advertisers care that some people turn off their sound on purpose? If COX kept the volume at the same level or lower, I'd be happy to let the commercials play without messing with it.

Is it just me?

Get used to it. In the good ole days TV mfgrs put automatic gain control in the audio circuitry and all was well. I think we're victims of advanced technology now. I use the digital optical port on my DVR, HD PVR and Cox box into my HT system. The levels are different between all these devices and, within each device, different between channels and formats (DD 2.0 or DD 5.1) and even, as you say, between the program and commercial feeds on the same channel. I keep one finger on the volume control or mute button at all times. There is no audio level discipline anymore. The local ads are the absolute worst.
post #208 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Nmlobo to answer your question in a typical Cox answer..soon. lol. Some areas have already had it remapped no idea of the the schedule.

Are these channels supposed to look better? I've looked at a few and most appear to have the same PQ.
post #209 of 8481
Don't think Hampton has the improved PQ yet.
post #210 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Are these channels supposed to look better? I've looked at a few and most appear to have the same PQ.

For the most part, this has been my observation as well. The biggest difference I notice is with the sound quality. The 800 series channels have much better sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - Cox