or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - Cox
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Norfolk, VA - Cox - Page 244

post #7291 of 8481
so whats so good about these new remotes?
post #7292 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post

so whats so good about these new remotes?

I don't think it's anything major.
post #7293 of 8481
So I am having classes starting this weekend. I encourage you all to sign up & spread the word.

Customers want to learn more about how to take full advantage of their latest product features and technology, so beginning April 21, 2012, Cox Solutions Stores will be offering informative workshops on a variety of topics. The sessions are designed to help customers get the most from their digital experience.

Learning Lounges, located within Cox Solutions Stores, will be staffed by a Cox Educator offering on-going customer workshops on the latest product features and services, as well as general information about using technology.

Cox believes there are many items available to their customers that they may not be fully aware of. “These classes give us a chance to take our time and give each customer a hands-on approach to their service,” says Jonathan Freeland, Vice-President of Marketing & Sales. “Our customers have asked us to show them what features are included in their Cox services and how they can maximize them.”

Classes include:

• 11:00 a.m.: Getting the Most from On Demand and Your DVR
This course is designed for Cox customers who want to learn about the entertainment options available with Cox Advanced TV. In this course, we’ll be going through the Trio Program Guide and exploring the full functionality of our Advanced TV features, such as On-DEMAND, how to use a DVR to record all your favorite shows, and Cox TV Connect.

• 1:00 p.m.: Keeping Your Family Safe in the Digital Age
Do you want to better keep your family safe in this world of evolving technology? We will show you how to use Cox's parental controls and Security Suite powered by McAfee® to help safeguard your family’s from the Web and TV security issues. The course will focus on three key areas – Web security, TV security, and Social Media security.

• 2:00 p.m. Stay Connected Using Video Chat and Social Media
If you want to be part of the magic of chatting with loved ones and feeling as though they are in the same room this is the class for you. The focus of the course will remain on “how” and “what” video chat and other social media features can do for you.


Sign up for classes, please visit www.coxlocal.com

Hampton Roads
• Norfolk-Janaf: 1140 North Military Highway Norfolk, VA 23502
• Chesapeake- Towne Place at Greenbrier: 725 Eden Way North Suite 708 Chesapeake, VA 23320
• Peninsula Town Center: 4600 Kilgore Avenue, Suite J-103 Hampton, VA 23666
• Kiln Creek: 209 Village Avenue Suite GH York County, VA 23693
• Virginia Beach-Red Mill. 2173 Upton Drive, Suite 101, Virginia Beach, Va, 23454
post #7294 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

I don't think it's anything major.

they are back lit and flash!
post #7295 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post

they are back lit and flash!

yeah, nothing major to me
post #7296 of 8481
too bad i can put the Motorola Box on the network and network tune it.. haha..
post #7297 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post

I installed the cable, and the fittings were already attached. i didnt have this problem until recently (the last 2 years or so.) as i had a box in that room before with no problems, then when i re-located for my job we turned that box back in to cox, then when I came back 2 years ago we got another box for the back room again.

Do you by chance have the coax cable going into a power strip before the DVR? If so, that could be blocking some of the frequencies you're missing.
post #7298 of 8481
That should have nothing to do with it. I see more and more TVs getting fried from surges. And the surges are coming over coax. So, running your cable through a power strip, hopefully you use a respected one, should not do it unless your signal is already low enough to be degraded to that level.
post #7299 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytoncy View Post

That should have nothing to do with it. I see more and more TVs getting fried from surges. And the surges are coming over coax. So, running your cable through a power strip, hopefully you use a respected one, should not do it unless your signal is already low enough to be degraded to that level.

I have seen different surge suppressors on power strips cause different frequencies not pass through, from cheap power strips to a $400 UPS. Sometimes they will prevent OnDemand from working as well. I agree that it shouldn't have anything to do with it, but it sometimes does.

It is easy enough to test. If it doesn't work with, and works without. It has to be something that is causing his problem with certain channels.
post #7300 of 8481
I agree that if he is using one then it is easy to troubleshoot and find out if that is the problem. But man I've seen more and more TV's being fried via coax. With that said, I don't run my coax through my AVR as I like to minimize hops. I guess in a perfect world the signal would be strong enough that it would not make a difference.
post #7301 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

So I am having classes starting this weekend.

Customers want to learn more about how to take full advantage of their latest product features and technology, so beginning April 21, 2012, Cox Solutions Stores will be offering informative workshops on a variety of topics. The sessions are designed to help customers get the most from their digital experience.

Learning Lounges, located within Cox Solutions Stores, will be staffed by a Cox Educator offering on-going customer workshops on the latest product features and services, as well as general information about using technology.

interesting kinda reminds me of
https://vzwworkshops.verizonwireless.com/vzwworkshops/
Wireless Workshops
Attend a free Wireless Workshop online or in a store to learn everything you need to know about your device.
Our classes are taught by Verizon experts. Discover powerful new features. Access email on the go. Experience useful apps. Learn all of this and a whole lot more.



BTW this is great for customer service, and i'm sure cable subs will love the classes. !
post #7302 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytoncy View Post

I agree that if he is using one then it is easy to troubleshoot and find out if that is the problem. But man I've seen more and more TV's being fried via coax. With that said, I don't run my coax through my AVR as I like to minimize hops. I guess in a perfect world the signal would be strong enough that it would not make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenus View Post

I have seen different surge suppressors on power strips cause different frequencies not pass through, from cheap power strips to a $400 UPS. Sometimes they will prevent OnDemand from working as well. I agree that it shouldn't have anything to do with it, but it sometimes does.

It is easy enough to test. If it doesn't work with, and works without. It has to be something that is causing his problem with certain channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytoncy View Post

That should have nothing to do with it. I see more and more TVs getting fried from surges. And the surges are coming over coax. So, running your cable through a power strip, hopefully you use a respected one, should not do it unless your signal is already low enough to be degraded to that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenus View Post

Do you by chance have the coax cable going into a power strip before the DVR? If so, that could be blocking some of the frequencies you're missing.



My signal levels are good, but the Errors just count up by 400+ to a thousand a second on certain channels, Channel up or down to the next channel and its fine.

I dont run the line through a SP or AVR (my PCs are all behind AVR-UPS) but the cable coax isnt.

My Cable Box isnt hooked to my PC right now, so I cant take direct Screen shots of the interface like i've done in the past.
post #7303 of 8481
Anybody know if Cox offers a locals only package? I know they used to when I lived in San Diego but have never tried to get it here. I have internet service through them and assume I could just get it now since there's no trap on my line but I don't mind paying if the price is right. If not I'll just go the antenna route.
post #7304 of 8481
today i left it on FamHD and HBO HD,

FamHD was the same, no picture and every few minutes i get a scrambled screenshot and a flicker of sound.

HBOHD is one channel that goes off and on..

left it on that channel, and SNR went from 35-27 ""Good"" to 25-27 ""Poor"" and when it hit poor the image went to crap.

so far I've only seen it on "Tuner2" Tuner 1 is usually fine and its the primary tuner when the DVR is only recording 1 show. so if Im recording something and try to tune HBOHD it uses the 2nd tuner which craps out, but if I'm not recording it uses the primary tuner and works fine. I will experiment more next week when im home.
post #7305 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

Anybody know if Cox offers a locals only package? I know they used to when I lived in San Diego but have never tried to get it here. I have internet service through them and assume I could just get it now since there's no trap on my line but I don't mind paying if the price is right. If not I'll just go the antenna route.

Yes but Cox TV Starter package is ridiculously overpriced having just increased to $21.30 per month. It includes a few other channels like Animal Planet, TBS, WGN and QVC as well.
post #7306 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

Anybody know if Cox offers a locals only package? I know they used to when I lived in San Diego but have never tried to get it here. I have internet service through them and assume I could just get it now since there's no trap on my line but I don't mind paying if the price is right. If not I'll just go the antenna route.

Why pay Cox when you have an antenna???? JMO
post #7307 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Cox TV Starter package is ridiculously overpriced having just increased to $21.30 per month.

Yeah that's too steep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

Why pay Cox when you have an antenna???? JMO

I don't have one yet, I wanted to see if Cox offered a more convient solution for a reasonable price. They don't so I'm going the antenna route.
post #7308 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

Anybody know if Cox offers a locals only package? I know they used to when I lived in San Diego but have never tried to get it here. I have internet service through them and assume I could just get it now since there's no trap on my line but I don't mind paying if the price is right. If not I'll just go the antenna route.

You will see what has happened is the local companies have started requiring their multicast channels be included in the starter package which in turn has raised the rate. Personally if you are paying the $20 I say you pay $35 for Economy & get a WHOLE lot more.
post #7309 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

You will see what has happened is the local companies have started requiring their multicast channels be included in the starter package which in turn has raised the rate. Personally if you are paying the $20 I say you pay $35 for Economy & get a WHOLE lot more.

Or...buy one antenna for $25 and never have to pay for the channels again...
$25 once or $35/month....sounds like a no-brainer to me
post #7310 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

Or...buy one antenna for $25 and never have to pay for the channels again...
$25 once or $35/month....sounds like a no-brainer to me

The Economy is not equal to local. Economy has cable news, History, AMC Comedy Central, Cartoon Net, USA & a bunch more. In my opinion a great value.
post #7311 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

The Economy is not equal to local. Economy has cable news, History, AMC Comedy Central, Cartoon Net, USA & a bunch more. In my opinion a great value.

Does the Economy Pack include the hd versions of these channels you list above, or is that extra?
post #7312 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG19 View Post

Does the Economy Pack include the hd versions of these channels you list above, or is that extra?

Yes & no. If you use a cable card it's 30.99 if you need an hd box its like $1 more. Here is the letter that was sent to city officials.

http://www.jccegov.com/pdf/news/2011...Letter2011.pdf
post #7313 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Yes & no. If you use a cable card it's 30.99 if you need an hd box its like $1 more. Here is the letter that was sent to city officials.

http://www.jccegov.com/pdf/news/2011...Letter2011.pdf

Last questions. If you need 2 cable cards (for two tivos), do they charge you an additional outlet fee as well? Also, can we now install our own cable cards or do they require a truck roll and additional fees to the customer? Thanks for your time.
post #7314 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG19 View Post

Last questions. If you need 2 cable cards (for two tivos), do they charge you an additional outlet fee as well? Also, can we now install our own cable cards or do they require a truck roll and additional fees to the customer? Thanks for your time.

1 MCard needed for each Tivo

I don't think there is an A/O fee

You can self install but there might be a slight truck roll fee. Best to call in & they can tell you the current deals too.
post #7315 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

The Economy is not equal to local. Economy has cable news, History, AMC Comedy Central, Cartoon Net, USA & a bunch more. In my opinion a great value.

I know....I think his initial question was asking about locals only....that's why I suggested the antenna. Doesn't make alot of sense paying $30-40/ month if all you want is local stuff
post #7316 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

Or...buy one antenna for $25 and never have to pay for the channels again...
$25 once or $35/month....sounds like a no-brainer to me

I hope that you are in a good area for HD reception. If not, you'll be back.

If you feel brave, go through the Norfolk, VA - OTA thread. You'll see that HD OTA reception is hit or miss depending upon location and/or antenna.
post #7317 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

I hope that you are in a good area for HD reception. If not, you'll be back.

If you feel brave, go through the Norfolk, VA - OTA thread. You'll see that HD OTA reception is hit or miss depending upon location and/or antenna.

I live in P-Town...my ota is far clearer than the cable feed from Cox....with a very cheap antenna
post #7318 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

I live in P-Town...my ota is far clearer than the cable feed from Cox....with a very cheap antenna

Great.
post #7319 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

I hope that you are in a good area for HD reception. If not, you'll be back.

If you feel brave, go through the Norfolk, VA - OTA thread. You'll see that HD OTA reception is hit or miss depending upon location and/or antenna.

It's been great for me. Went OTA (intergrated with my DirecTV receiver) October 2004 and have never looked back...
post #7320 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

It's been great for me. Went OTA (intergrated with my DirecTV receiver) October 2004 and have never looked back...

I wish I was so lucky. Both OTA antenna and dishes are a no go, I've tried.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - Cox