or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - Cox
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Norfolk, VA - Cox - Page 247

post #7381 of 8481
when are we getting more hd channels?
post #7382 of 8481
What HD channels would you guys still be interested in at this point?
post #7383 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Not to my knowledge. We are looking at a few different things but no major exodus of the analog channels.

Had to laugh. The day after I asked you about this, OWN Network was taken off analog. I thought it was funny. The wife did not.

Jim
post #7384 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

What HD channels would you guys still be interested in at this point?

CNN INTERNATIONAL!
post #7385 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG19 View Post

Had to laugh. The day after I asked you about this, OWN Network was taken off analog. I thought it was funny. The wife did not.
Jim

I so forgot that was about to happen. That one was based on the performance of the network. There are some of those analogs that just don't perform but were grandfathered into analog.
post #7386 of 8481
G4 in HD would be nice.
post #7387 of 8481
Realistically, if they broadcast in HD as a customer I want their channel in HD. Analog channels are a thing if the past.
post #7388 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

What HD channels would you guys still be interested in at this point?

DIY HD
post #7389 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishallot View Post

DIY HD

This one gets my vote as well
post #7390 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishallot View Post

DIY HD

Channel 1235 - DIYHD,
http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residential/datasheet/hamptonroads/channel_lineup.pdf

Part of the Plus Package, Free with a CableCARD device (TiVo Premiere, Ceton, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime) or Trio Whole Home DVR needed, an extra $5/mo plus install fee.

CableCARD Devices and Plus Pak Channels
As of December 1, 2011, Cox allows eligible UDCPs (retail CableCARD devices) to access the Plus Pak channels. Customers with devices that are able to tune to 1 GHz and decode in MPEG4 are capable of viewing these channels, which are offered at no additional charge. If you have a qualified device not currently receiving the Plus Pak channels and are interested in accessing them, please contact us.
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId={9834a820-6d29-11e1-d2ee-000000000000}

All Plus Package HD Channels (subscription to the corresponding channel package also required)

1100 The Hub HD
1217 Outdoor HD
1235 DIY HD
1250 Cooking Channel HD
1900 SWRV HD

Addt'l HBO
1303 HBO Signature HD (East Coast)
1304 HBO Family HD (East Coast)
1306 HBO Zone HD (East Coast)
1307 HBO Comedy HD (East Coast)
1308 HBO Latino HD (East Coast)
1311 HBO HD (West Coast)
1312 HBO 2 HD (West Coast)

Addt'l Cinemax
1323 Action Max HD (East Coast)
1324 Thriller Max HD (East Coast)
1327 5 Star Max HD (East Coast)
1331 Cinemax HD (West Coast)
1332 MoreMAX HD (West Coast)

Addt'l Showtime
1343 Show Case HD (East Coast)
1344 Show Extreme HD (East Coast)
1349 TMC Extra HD (East Coast)
1351 Showtime HD (West Coast)
1357 TMC HD (West Coast)

Addt'l STARZ
1363 STARZ IN BLACK HD (East Coast)
1364 STARZ CINEMA HD (East Coast)
1365 STARZ KIDS & FAMILY HD
1366 STARZ COMEDY HD
1371 STARZ HD (West Coast)
Edited by Bryan_CoxPHX - 6/21/12 at 5:45pm
post #7391 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytoncy View Post

Realistically, if they broadcast in HD as a customer I want their channel in HD. Analog channels are a thing if the past.

I guess another way to ask this is what networks do you watch.
post #7392 of 8481
I'm trying to think of a non-HD network I'd ever watch and the only ones that would even be possible is The Hub (which is already part of the whole-home only package...booooooo!!!!). Outside of that Nicktoons would be great (not sure if their HD feed went live) and then G4 for Ninja Warrior.

I would like WUND as well, but I'm not sure if there's some sort of rules that would hold up that. All of the Encore networks you have in HD would be one of the best things (not sure if they all have went HD yet either though). Chiller and GSN are the only other channels I could see myself watching. Most of the rest is stuff that would never have HD feeds (Boomerang) or something of no value to me (religious channels and the like).
post #7393 of 8481
cloo mgm movie ch smithsonian ch
post #7394 of 8481
I don't know if they have HD programming but TV One, Africa and Centric would be interesting. I would watch them as much or more as most of the other HD channels. wink.gif
post #7395 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Channel 1235 - DIYHD,
http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residential/datasheet/hamptonroads/channel_lineup.pdf
Part of the Plus Package, Free with a CableCARD device (TiVo Premiere, Ceton, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime) or Trio Whole Home DVR needed, an extra $5/mo plus install fee.

And there lies the problem i'm having with Cox right now. I don't and never will feel the need to pay for DVR service that i'll never use. I have a standard HD box, pay for enough levels that I recieve DIY in the SD lineup and yet Cox is saying I can't get DIY HD unless I upgrade to whole home DVR service and pay more money. Seems like a complete scam to me. Give me what i'm already paying for!!!
post #7396 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishallot View Post

And there lies the problem i'm having with Cox right now. I don't and never will feel the need to pay for DVR service that i'll never use. I have a standard HD box, pay for enough levels that I recieve DIY in the SD lineup and yet Cox is saying I can't get DIY HD unless I upgrade to whole home DVR service and pay more money. Seems like a complete scam to me. Give me what i'm already paying for!!!

Totally agree!!! There are several HD channels that are available ONLY if you have the WHDVR. Cox has always said that their HD is "free" Doesn't appear that applies anymore.
post #7397 of 8481
I completely agree that Cox should not be bundling the Plus Package HD channels with their WHDVR, and very glad the FCC and Ceton Corp stepped in and forced Cox to offer them to CableCARD users per FCC rules. CableCARDS are $2/mo.

I also never wanted the Cox WHDVR nor was willing to pay the extra fees, that is why I decided to go with TiVos and the SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime.

You should check into one or the other, the SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime, gives you 3 Tuners that sit on your home ethernet network, and can be had for as little as $150
http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHR3-CC-HDHomeRun-CableCARD-tuners/dp/B004HKIB6E/
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4069.m570.l1313&_nkw=SiliconDust+HD+HomeRun+Prime.&_sacat=0

Later this year Ceton Corp will release an extender called the Ceton Echo, that you can use as your individual HD STB. I expect the Ceton Echo to retail for ~$199
http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/
http://cetoncorp.com/wp-content/themes/ceton_v2/downloads/Datasheets/Datasheet-Ceton_Echo.pdf
post #7398 of 8481
And on another note..."Effective on or after June 28, 2012 Cox Hampton Roads will expand our Cox TV Economy channel line up to include FX on channel 16 and 1016 in HD. We will also offer additional carriage of National Geographic on channel 71 and 1071 in HD."
This is good news for those on the Economy plan.
post #7399 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

Totally agree!!! There are several HD channels that are available ONLY if you have the WHDVR. Cox has always said that their HD is "free" Doesn't appear that applies anymore.

This is a discussion we are having as well. One of the interesting things is if you use a Tivo you will get those channels at no additional cost.
post #7400 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

This is a discussion we are having as well. One of the interesting things is if you use a Tivo you will get those channels at no additional cost.

But isn't Tivo a private purchase item?? I have not researched the costs....Short term I am sure Cox would be cheaper with the WHDVR. In the long term, probably the Tivo would be the way to go...Is that essentially correct or am I missing something??
post #7401 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Channel 1235 - DIYHD,
http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residential/datasheet/hamptonroads/channel_lineup.pdf
Part of the Plus Package, Free with a CableCARD device (TiVo Premiere, Ceton, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime) or Trio Whole Home DVR needed, an extra $5/mo plus install fee.
CableCARD Devices and Plus Pak Channels
As of December 1, 2011, Cox allows eligible UDCPs (retail CableCARD devices) to access the Plus Pak channels. Customers with devices that are able to tune to 1 GHz and decode in MPEG4 are capable of viewing these channels, which are offered at no additional charge. If you have a qualified device not currently receiving the Plus Pak channels and are interested in accessing them, please contact us.
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId={9834a820-6d29-11e1-d2ee-000000000000}
All Plus Package HD Channels (subscription to the corresponding channel package also required)
1100 The Hub HD
1217 Outdoor HD
1235 DIY HD
1250 Cooking Channel HD
1900 SWRV HD
Addt'l HBO
1303 HBO Signature HD (East Coast)
1304 HBO Family HD (East Coast)
1306 HBO Zone HD (East Coast)
1307 HBO Comedy HD (East Coast)
1308 HBO Latino HD (East Coast)
1311 HBO HD (West Coast)
1312 HBO 2 HD (West Coast)
Addt'l Cinemax
1323 Action Max HD (East Coast)
1324 Thriller Max HD (East Coast)
1327 5 Star Max HD (East Coast)
1331 Cinemax HD (West Coast)
1332 MoreMAX HD (West Coast)
Addt'l Showtime
1343 Show Case HD (East Coast)
1344 Show Extreme HD (East Coast)
1349 TMC Extra HD (East Coast)
1351 Showtime HD (West Coast)
1357 TMC HD (West Coast)
Addt'l STARZ
1363 STARZ IN BLACK HD (East Coast)
1364 STARZ CINEMA HD (East Coast)
1365 STARZ KIDS & FAMILY HD
1366 STARZ COMEDY HD
1371 STARZ HD (West Coast)

that pretty much settles it, im building my Ceton Super Tuner Box... lol..
post #7402 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

But isn't Tivo a private purchase item?? I have not researched the costs....Short term I am sure Cox would be cheaper with the WHDVR. In the long term, probably the Tivo would be the way to go...Is that essentially correct or am I missing something??

let's see with Tivo no new wiring unless you need to add an internet access to a to tivo With whole home dve install fee and maybe new cable and crap Cisco hardware
post #7403 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Channel 1235 - DIYHD,
As of December 1, 2011, Cox allows eligible UDCPs (retail CableCARD devices) to access the Plus Pak channels. Customers with devices that are able to tune to 1 GHz and decode in MPEG4 are capable of viewing these channels, which are offered at no additional charge. If you have a qualified device not currently receiving the Plus Pak channels and are interested in accessing them, please contact us.

Bryan,

How timely this post is. I have HBO and ShowTime, with a single Motorola DVR (3416) and a cable card for my Tivo, all hooked up to a single TV. I have always wondered why I only received HBO 1301/1302 and Showtime 1341/1347. When I test the cable card the other HD 'Plus Package' channels are there on the wire.... and I can tune my existing 3416 DVR to the SD versions of them. But I want the HD versions, 1304 etc.

So I went to the Janaf Cox Solutions Center and they said in order to get the other HD HBO and ShowTime channels, I had to swap my Motorola 3416 DVR to the WHDVR. No other choice. Incredible I told them. Spend another $10 a month for a DVR I don't need? But they assured me there were no other options.

So I bit the bullet... the WHDVR is scheduled for a $79 install and move of the cable card for this Monday 7/9/2012.

How can I turn this around. Don't want the extra $10 a month for the WHDVR, I only have the one TV. Don't want to pay $79 for the install.

What are my options right now, since apparently the counter service people don't have this 'new' information.

Gerry-
Norfolk-
Edited by turbo327 - 7/6/12 at 2:11pm
post #7404 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo327 View Post

Bryan,
How timely this post is. I have HBO and ShowTime, with a single Motorola DVR (3416) and a cable card for my Tivo, all hooked up to a single TV. I have always wondered why I only received HBO 1301/1302 and Showtime 1341/1347. When I test the cable card the other HD 'Plus Package' channels are there on the wire.... and I can tune my existing 3416 DVR to the SD versions of them. But I want the HD versions, 1304 etc.
So I went to the Janaf Cox Solutions Center and they said in order to get the other HD HBO and ShowTime channels, I had to swap my Motorola 3416 DVR to the WHDVR. No other choice. Incredible I told them. Spend another $10 a month for a DVR I don't need? But they assured me there were no other options.
So I bit the bullet... the WHDVR is scheduled for a $79 install and move of the cable card for this Monday 7/9/2012.
How can I turn this around. Don't want the extra $10 a month for the WHDVR, I only have the one TV. Don't want to pay $79 for the install.
What are my options right now, since apparently the counter service people don't have this 'new' information.
Gerry-
Norfolk-

you need another tivo or cable card device
post #7405 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

you need another tivo or cable card device

It was even simplier than that. I looked at the link Bryan posted above and it said 'Call Us' if you wanted to view the Plus Pak channels with a cablecard. Got support on the line and it threw them a curve. I persisted and the gent checked with his supervisor and yep, this was good to go, legal, etc etc. And bottom line for me was I was okay if I could only view these channels via my cablecard (Tivo). So I added them to the channel browse list and all is fine now. Support cancelled the install of the WHDVR, I have my channels, no extra fee, and $79 install fee is still in my pocket. biggrin.gif

Thanks again Bryan!

Gerry-
post #7406 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo327 View Post

It was even simplier than that. I looked at the link Bryan posted above and it said 'Call Us' if you wanted to view the Plus Pak channels with a cablecard. Got support on the line and it threw them a curve. I persisted and the gent checked with his supervisor and yep, this was good to go, legal, etc etc. And bottom line for me was I was okay if I could only view these channels via my cablecard (Tivo). So I added them to the channel browse list and all is fine now. Support cancelled the install of the WHDVR, I have my channels, no extra fee, and $79 install fee is still in my pocket. biggrin.gif
Thanks again Bryan!
Gerry-
What Model TiVo do you have? and are your Plus Pak channels MPEG2 or H.264? It will show the Video PID format in the TiVo DVR Diagnostic Menu.

H.264 look like this:
450
post #7407 of 8481
Bryan,

Its a Tivo Premiere XL. MPEG2 Video PID is what is showing in diagnostics on channel 1303 anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply back.

Gerry-
Edited by turbo327 - 7/7/12 at 7:45am
post #7408 of 8481
Anyone else having problems with some of their channels? Channels 1071 (Nat Geo), 1101 (Science), and 1103 (ID) are blocking and experiencing sound drop outs. Most other channels we watch seem fine. I checked all connections, reset the moto DVR, had Cox reinitialize the box - nothing seems to help. If heat related, wouldn't more channels be impacted? Could the problem be SDV related? We watch these channels a lot so I hope it is something easy to correct.
post #7409 of 8481
Are we getting FuelHD any time soon? Wishful thinking but I would like to see the UFC events in HD.
post #7410 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post

Are we getting FuelHD any time soon? Wishful thinking but I would like to see the UFC events in HD.

I'd like to see that as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - Cox