or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - Cox
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Norfolk, VA - Cox - Page 260

post #7771 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi95 View Post

When I had the moto box with passport, it would do weird things like start a recording a couple minutes last and maybe end a couple minutes earlier. The programmed recording time would be correct, but the actual recorded length would show it didn't follow the setting. At the time it was most affecting just certain channel(s) but did eventually fix itself; guessing one update cause a problem and another fixed it.

I have had this issue with every DVR I have had.....On most recordings, the dvr starts about 30 seconds before the scheduled start time and stops recording 30 seconds before the scheduled end time. Very frustrating not to get the entire show recorded.
post #7772 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi95 View Post

One odd thing I noticed with the new trio, when looking at the recorded program list on one tv I had just enough programs to fully occupy the first page. When viewed on the other box, I had to scroll to look through the recorded list. Not a problem, just an interesting (at the moment) difference.

If I'm reading you right and you're viewing the same list of recorded programs but on different TV's then it sounds like your TV's may have a different resolution. One has more pixels vertically than the other. For example if one TV is 720p and the other is 1080i or 1080p. If it's not that then I don't know what to tell you. I don't have a box with Trio myself.
post #7773 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi95 View Post

One odd thing I noticed with the new trio, when looking at the recorded program list on one tv I had just enough programs to fully occupy the first page. When viewed on the other box, I had to scroll to look through the recorded list. Not a problem, just an interesting (at the moment) difference.

Are both TVs 16:9, with Trio set to 16:9?
post #7774 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi95 View Post

When I had the moto box with passport, it would do weird things like start a recording a couple minutes last and maybe end a couple minutes earlier. The programmed recording time would be correct, but the actual recorded length would show it didn't follow the setting. At the time it was most affecting just certain channel(s) but did eventually fix itself; guessing one update cause a problem and another fixed it.

I have had this issue with every DVR I have had.....On most recordings, the dvr starts about 30 seconds before the scheduled start time and stops recording 30 seconds before the scheduled end time. Very frustrating not to get the entire show recorded.

Many shows now end 15-30 seconds into the next program's slot, with NO commercial before the next program starts. This is 15-30 seconds PAST the :00 or :30 mark according to my atomic clock. It's the network's way of keeping you on THEIR channel. If your DVR has a different channel programmed at :00 or :30 mark, you'll miss the final 15-30 seconds of the previous show.
post #7775 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Many shows now end 15-30 seconds into the next program's slot, with NO commercial before the next program starts. This is 15-30 seconds PAST the :00 or :30 mark according to my atomic clock. It's the network's way of keeping you on THEIR channel. If your DVR has a different channel programmed at :00 or :30 mark, you'll miss the final 15-30 seconds of the previous show.

I like it that you can extend the recording time now.
post #7776 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Many shows now end 15-30 seconds into the next program's slot, with NO commercial before the next program starts. This is 15-30 seconds PAST the :00 or :30 mark according to my atomic clock. It's the network's way of keeping you on THEIR channel. If your DVR has a different channel programmed at :00 or :30 mark, you'll miss the final 15-30 seconds of the previous show.

So, I guess in summary, the DVR's are set up to record shows and not a specific time slot....Remember the old VCRs??? When you set up a recording for 2 - 3 pm., it would record from 2 -3 pm....Now the higher tech equipment starts when the DVR clock shows 1:59 and stops with clock showing 2:59.....What a pain in the a**!!!!.....Now I am forced to create a manual recording starting 1 minute before the show starts and ending 1 minute after the show ends, just to make sure I get the entire show recorded....
post #7777 of 8481
I'm not talking about the programmers trying to schedule to make DVRs inconvient, I'm talking about setting a 9-10pm record that ends up doing 9:03-9:55.

As for the scrreen issue, both are 1080p tvs and set in the guides to display 1080i (as 1080p isn't available).




And there must have been something pushed today as when I came home both my boxes are screwed up, going to unplug the bedroom one now to see if that fixes it as that is having the more severe problem.
post #7778 of 8481
It seems cycling the bedroom box fixed it's problem, but I can not schedule any recordings and while I can start to play a recorded show, I can't stop it, FFWD or anything else. Guess I'll need to go cycle the host box.
post #7779 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Many shows now end 15-30 seconds into the next program's slot, with NO commercial before the next program starts. This is 15-30 seconds PAST the :00 or :30 mark according to my atomic clock. It's the network's way of keeping you on THEIR channel. If your DVR has a different channel programmed at :00 or :30 mark, you'll miss the final 15-30 seconds of the previous show.

So, I guess in summary, the DVR's are set up to record shows and not a specific time slot....Remember the old VCRs??? When you set up a recording for 2 - 3 pm., it would record from 2 -3 pm....Now the higher tech equipment starts when the DVR clock shows 1:59 and stops with clock showing 2:59.....What a pain in the a**!!!!.....Now I am forced to create a manual recording starting 1 minute before the show starts and ending 1 minute after the show ends, just to make sure I get the entire show recorded....

Your DVR is stopping with the DVR clock at 2:59 on a 2:00-3:00 recording? What DVR/firmware? As far as your manual recording goes, why not just program your recording to end 1 minute late? You can do that with SARA, Passport, or TRIO.
post #7780 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi95 View Post

I'm not talking about the programmers trying to schedule to make DVRs inconvient, I'm talking about setting a 9-10pm record that ends up doing 9:03-9:55.

DVR model/firmware? This is odd. In over 5 years of "DVRing", I've used three different DVRs and three different firmwares (SARA, Passport, TRIO) and my recordings always end at least 5 seconds PAST the scheduled end of program.
Quote:
As for the scrreen issue, both are 1080p tvs and set in the guides to display 1080i (as 1080p isn't available).

TRIO has a menu selection for "widescreen" (16:9) or "normal" (4:3) aspect ratio. SETTINGS->GUIDE OPTIONS->OTHER SETTINGS->GUIDE ASPECT RATIO->WIDESCREEN (16:9)
Quote:
And there must have been something pushed today as when I came home both my boxes are screwed up, going to unplug the bedroom one now to see if that fixes it as that is having the more severe problem.

I had to re-boot, as the guide was squished to the left 2/3 of the screen.
post #7781 of 8481
I believe it was with the moto box with the larger hard drive, no idea on the software.

Both boxes are set up identical on display settings.


One box would shrink to fill about 2/3 of the screen left justified when using the dvr menu, and to make it really strange the progress bar and position indicator would act like normal once you starting playing something, but would be clipped off on the right about where the screen ended when the dvr menu was open but the recorded program played fine in full screen.


The other one had the guide not displaying right the first time I opened it, then when I tried to close and reopen it would not display the guide at all, whether through button push or from the onscreen menu. It also had the problem that while I could start playing a recording, none of the movement buttons registered.
post #7782 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Your DVR is stopping with the DVR clock at 2:59 on a 2:00-3:00 recording? What DVR/firmware? As far as your manual recording goes, why not just program your recording to end 1 minute late? You can do that with SARA, Passport, or TRIO.

Yes to the first question and it would start at 1:59....I have the Moto DCX 3400 DVR...As far as the manual programming, that's what I am having to do to make sure I get whole show....Like I said, it's a pain the a** to have to set up a manual for every show I want to record.
post #7783 of 8481
I think what domino92024 is trying to say is that when you set your shows to record have them end 5 minutes after. I've had to do that with a few shows that tend to run over and edit them in the series manager. Now if you're the type that just sets odd shows to record here and there I can see this really being a pain but just editing the series recording isn't too big a deal for me. Although having to do this can cause a conflict with other shows if you're recording on both tuners.
post #7784 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi95 View Post

I believe it was with the moto box with the larger hard drive, no idea on the software.

I'm not that familiar with Motorola DVRs or their firmware. I didn't even know Cox had a 16:9 IPG for Motorola DVRs.
post #7785 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxorf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Your DVR is stopping with the DVR clock at 2:59 on a 2:00-3:00 recording? What DVR/firmware? As far as your manual recording goes, why not just program your recording to end 1 minute late? You can do that with SARA, Passport, or TRIO.

Yes to the first question and it would start at 1:59....I have the Moto DCX 3400 DVR...As far as the manual programming, that's what I am having to do to make sure I get whole show....Like I said, it's a pain the a** to have to set up a manual for every show I want to record.

The IPG being used on your DCX3400 doesn't allow for you to just end the recording a minute or two late on a regular scheduled recording? What IPG/firmware? As I said, I've never used an IPG (SARA, Passport, TRIO) that didn't allow for 1, 2, 3, etc., minute extensions to a regular recording.
post #7786 of 8481
Sorry if this has been covered before but....I starting having record anomalies with my ancient silver Moto 3416 DVR and took it back to the Cox store yesterday. They replaced it with a (very) used Moto 3400M. The Cox CSR told me the 3400M has a higher recording capacity but I'm skeptical. Can someone here tell me the difference between the two DVR's? My 3416 was very reliable. Does the 3400M have any shortcomings that I should be aware of?
post #7787 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi95 View Post

One odd thing I noticed with the new trio, when looking at the recorded program list on one tv I had just enough programs to fully occupy the first page. When viewed on the other box, I had to scroll to look through the recorded list. Not a problem, just an interesting (at the moment) difference.

I've been using the WHDVR for about two weeks and am starting to have those kinds of problems on my 8642. First the program guide wouldn't come up. The DVR list was only occupying about 2/3 of the screen (almost like 4:3, but only on the left side).

Rebooted, and the program guide works somewhat. Its only on the left hand side, and it doesn't completely go away when you change channels. DVR list is still on the left hand side only. Video output set to 1080i

Not too impressed thus far, although having all the recordings in one spot is nice.
post #7788 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

Sorry if this has been covered before but....I starting having record anomalies with my ancient silver Moto 3416 DVR and took it back to the Cox store yesterday. They replaced it with a (very) used Moto 3400M. The Cox CSR told me the 3400M has a higher recording capacity but I'm skeptical. Can someone here tell me the difference between the two DVR's? My 3416 was very reliable. Does the 3400M have any shortcomings that I should be aware of?
The 3400 DVR's have a 500 GB hard drive instead of the 160 GB hard drive your old 3416 had. Until recently, they both could only use 160 GB, but now in your area all of the 500 GB can be used. When the 3400's first came out, it seems to me there was a problem that local commercials would be black screen and I believe there was an issue with fast forwarding occasionally, but I don't remember the details.

Before I upgraded my 3416 to a 3400, I used to normally record the SD channels due to space problems, but now I always record the HD channels, with room to spare. Your mileage may vary......
post #7789 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmesser View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi95 View Post

One odd thing I noticed with the new trio, when looking at the recorded program list on one tv I had just enough programs to fully occupy the first page. When viewed on the other box, I had to scroll to look through the recorded list. Not a problem, just an interesting (at the moment) difference.

I've been using the WHDVR for about two weeks and am starting to have those kinds of problems on my 8642. First the program guide wouldn't come up. The DVR list was only occupying about 2/3 of the screen (almost like 4:3, but only on the left side).

Having the guide "squished" to the left 2/3 of the screen was a national problem. I'm in San Diego, and an AC disconnect reboot fixed it for me. A re-boot in other areas didn't help. I've heard that the problem should be cleared up by day's end tomorrow (Friday.)
Quote:
Not too impressed thus far, although having all the recordings in one spot is nice.

After a few months of TRIO, I would never go back to Passport
post #7790 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenus View Post

The 3400 DVR's have a 500 GB hard drive instead of the 160 GB hard drive your old 3416 had. Until recently, they both could only use 160 GB, but now in your area all of the 500 GB can be used. When the 3400's first came out, it seems to me there was a problem that local commercials would be black screen and I believe there was an issue with fast forwarding occasionally, but I don't remember the details.

Before I upgraded my 3416 to a 3400, I used to normally record the SD channels due to space problems, but now I always record the HD channels, with room to spare. Your mileage may vary......
Good to know. Thanks. The only problem I've had so far is activating the 3400. The printed handout Cox gave me said to use my phone number to activate. But when I tried, the 800 number asked for some control number they didn't provide me when I picked up the box.

If local commercials were being blacked out then why didn't Motorola patent it? smile.gif
post #7791 of 8481
first when will these new boxes be availble and will cox have metv?
post #7792 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibby3 View Post

first when will these new boxes be availble and will cox have metv?

First, what new box? And second, Cox has Me-TV in my area. Do any of your local OTA affiliates offer Me-TV? Plug your zip code into:

http://metvnetwork.com/wherewatch.php
post #7793 of 8481
a 5 tuner 2 tb os storage i think it can be conneced to stream movies. metv.com says service starts 01/23 on 13-3
post #7794 of 8481
6 tuner 2tb & q1 is the plan.
post #7795 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

6 tuner 2tb & q1 is the plan.

If that is true will it be a WHDVR box that requires professional installation?
post #7796 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytoncy View Post

If that is true will it be a WHDVR box that requires professional installation?

Every new box will be based on the WHDVR & for the time being they all require pro-install.
post #7797 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Every new box will be based on the WHDVR & for the time being they all require pro-install.

Thanks for the info. Say you have a WHDVR box in your home now and then the new boxes come out. Are customers able to go and pick up these boxes (depending on availability of course) from the Solutions store and swap them as they can now with normal HDDVR's?
post #7798 of 8481
I'm not sure yet. They might be here REALLY soon too.
post #7799 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytoncy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

6 tuner 2tb & q1 is the plan.

If that is true will it be a WHDVR box that requires professional installation?

DVR with imminent introduction by Cox is the G7. ONLY 2-TUNERS. 1TB HDD. Touchscreen front panel. A little smaller than the 8642HDC. TRIO only - no Passport. The DVR appears to be similar to Cisco's 8742, but with a 1TB drive.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/at_home/Set-Tops/8000_STTs/4038345C.pdf

6-tuner DVR will be introduced much later.
post #7800 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

DVR with imminent introduction by Cox is the G7. ONLY 2-TUNERS. 1TB HDD. Touchscreen front panel. A little smaller than the 8642HDC. TRIO only - no Passport. The DVR appears to be similar to Cisco's 8742, but with a 1TB drive.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/at_home/Set-Tops/8000_STTs/4038345C.pdf

6-tuner DVR will be introduced much later.

We actually started deploying a different DVR last month to testers. I'm not sure of the model number, but it is a 6 tuner DVR.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - Cox