or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - Cox
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Norfolk, VA - Cox - Page 262

post #7831 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

A plain HD STB requires a Pro Install? Just because it's running TRIO? Are the "Plus Pak" channels available on the Motorola DCX STBs, or is a Cisco STB required?

Any Trio box requires a pro install & no they are not available on any other boxes. There is no getting around the pro install for trio & plus channels. This is why we are not installing anything else in new customers going forward.
post #7832 of 8481
Based on what I have read about FXM HD, the HD content isn't full HD.
post #7833 of 8481
i have a question of all the hd channels that are requested how did you come up with these? i do not think anyone would ask fo these
post #7834 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post

You'll be waiting a while. There is no CNN International HD.

I can hope. wink.gif
post #7835 of 8481
is webmail being restricted to only use on Cox Internet IPs or something?

Checking my Webmail in office, this is what I get after i enter my username/password and click login:


post #7836 of 8481
i think i just got in my using the webmail.west.cox.net
post #7837 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibby3 View Post

i have a question of all the hd channels that are requested how did you come up with these? i do not think anyone would ask fo these

Thought I responded this morning. These channels (like most that get added) are part of a larger package. These channels are part of the Starz family. So more than likely with the last agreement they were included.
post #7838 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

A plain HD STB requires a Pro Install? Just because it's running TRIO? Are the "Plus Pak" channels available on the Motorola DCX STBs, or is a Cisco STB required?

Any Trio box requires a pro install & no they are not available on any other boxes. There is no getting around the pro install for trio & plus channels. This is why we are not installing anything else in new customers going forward.

The original question remains: Must a TRIO STB be a Cisco, or can it instead be a Motorola (DCX) ??? And if it must be a Cisco, can a customer with an existing Motorola STB exchange it for a Cisco?
post #7839 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

A plain HD STB requires a Pro Install? Just because it's running TRIO? Are the "Plus Pak" channels available on the Motorola DCX STBs, or is a Cisco STB required?

Any Trio box requires a pro install.

WHY? There is no MoCA to worry about.
post #7840 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

The original question remains: Must a TRIO STB be a Cisco, or can it instead be a Motorola (DCX) ??? And if it must be a Cisco, can a customer with an existing Motorola STB exchange it for a Cisco?

Only on Cisco. The software is only licensed on the Cisco boxes as they were the developers. They bought the company that develops our guides a few years back. That in my mind is when some of the transition started to using Cisco across the board.
post #7841 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

WHY? There is no MoCA to worry about.

It is based on MoCA. MoCA is the standard developed by a trade group and adopted by most if not all providers.
post #7842 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

The original question remains: Must a TRIO STB be a Cisco, or can it instead be a Motorola (DCX) ??? And if it must be a Cisco, can a customer with an existing Motorola STB exchange it for a Cisco?


Only on Cisco. The software is only licensed on the Cisco boxes as they were the developers. They bought the company that develops our guides a few years back. That in my mind is when some of the transition started to using Cisco across the board.

So, can a customer with a Motorola DCH3200 exchange it for a Cisco 4642HDC so he can receive all of the "Plus Pak" channels? Or is he SOL?
post #7843 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

The original question remains: Must a TRIO STB be a Cisco, or can it instead be a Motorola (DCX) ??? And if it must be a Cisco, can a customer with an existing Motorola STB exchange it for a Cisco?

Only on Cisco. The software is only licensed on the Cisco boxes as they were the developers. They bought the company that develops our guides a few years back. That in my mind is when some of the transition started to using Cisco across the board.

Cisco bought NDS?
post #7844 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Cisco bought NDS?

It took all of ten seconds on Google to find this:
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac49/ac0/ac1/ac259/nds.html#~faqs
post #7845 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Only on Cisco. The software is only licensed on the Cisco boxes as they were the developers. They bought the company that develops our guides a few years back. That in my mind is when some of the transition started to using Cisco across the board.

I am not a fan of the software. Visually it is very good. The number of options is good. The problems (IMO) are that it is very slow when changing channels, I often get the "not available" message; it is inconsistent, and requires too many key strokes. The slowness may be attributed to Cox's equipment or network, but the other problems are simpley a matter of less than excellent software engineering. I hope that they will improve it.
post #7846 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Cisco bought NDS?

It took all of ten seconds on Google to find this:
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac49/ac0/ac1/ac259/nds.html#~faqs

...and a search in another direction found this (a close relative of Cox's upcoming 6-tuner DVR):

http://www.nds.com/Media_Center/Press_Releases/ARRIS_and_NDS_Announce_Integration_of_ARRIS_Media_Gateway_and_NDS_Middleware_DRM_and_User_Interface/
post #7847 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Only on Cisco. The software is only licensed on the Cisco boxes as they were the developers. They bought the company that develops our guides a few years back. That in my mind is when some of the transition started to using Cisco across the board.

I am not a fan of the software. Visually it is very good. The number of options is good. The problems (IMO) are that it is very slow when changing channels, I often get the "not available" message; it is inconsistent, and requires too many key strokes. The slowness may be attributed to Cox's equipment or network, but the other problems are simpley a matter of less than excellent software engineering. I hope that they will improve it.

To be sure, TRIO has some bugs. But Cox is working to fix them. [Look at Windows when it first came out.] They better fix them. All future STBs will be based on TRIO.
post #7848 of 8481
Not TV Related
Cox Home Security

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/01/cox-offers-home-security-service-hampton-roads

Any thoughts, questions on the new service? I've been using it for about 2 months.

I'm a little disappointed that there is a guy who constantly lies on the pilot comments about us having a noncompete clause with the city. If anyone wants to set him straight it would be greatly appreciated.
post #7849 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

...and a search in another direction found this (a close relative of Cox's upcoming 6-tuner DVR):

http://www.nds.com/Media_Center/Press_Releases/ARRIS_and_NDS_Announce_Integration_of_ARRIS_Media_Gateway_and_NDS_Middleware_DRM_and_User_Interface/

The first half of this year is going to be really good (PVE, 6Tnr...)
post #7850 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Not TV Related
Cox Home Security

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/01/cox-offers-home-security-service-hampton-roads

Any thoughts, questions on the new service? I've been using it for about 2 months.

I'm a little disappointed that there is a guy who constantly lies on the pilot comments about us having a noncompete clause with the city. If anyone wants to set him straight it would be greatly appreciated.

All the comments on that article are negative. I don't have any complaints so far about my TV service. We have phone as well, I wish we didn't but hey we do and no complaints there either. My internet on the other hand as I've stated before like one of the comments states can "grinds to a very slow pace". If I could get the advertised speed all day long then I would have no complaints at all. Fios is not available where I live.

A question regarding security, does Cox monitor their own systems or do they sub to Alarm.com?
post #7851 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

The first half of this year is going to be really good (PVE, 6Tnr...)

Are we ever going to see the modems enabled on these boxes or will we always need a separate modem?
post #7852 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytoncy View Post

All the comments on that article are negative. I don't have any complaints so far about my TV service. We have phone as well, I wish we didn't but hey we do and no complaints there either. My internet on the other hand as I've stated before like one of the comments states can "grinds to a very slow pace". If I could get the advertised speed all day long then I would have no complaints at all. Fios is not available where I live.

A question regarding security, does Cox monitor their own systems or do they sub to Alarm.com?
  • It is a 3rd party monitoring service but I don't think it is alarms.com
  • What speeds are you seeing. Mine are usually pretty close to what the package is.
  • Someone responded to the item I was talking about.
post #7853 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytoncy View Post

Are we ever going to see the modems enabled on these boxes or will we always need a separate modem?

Not sure but I'd rather know when we are going to IP based TV. To me that is truly the future.
post #7854 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

  • It is a 3rd party monitoring service but I don't think it is alarms.com
  • What speeds are you seeing. Mine are usually pretty close to what the package is.
  • Someone responded to the item I was talking about.

My speeds vary and I can get max from time to time but I normally stay in the middle most of the time. I'm on the preferred tier which I believe is 15 Mbps or 19 with PowerBoost. Here is an example:



Here is one right after:

post #7855 of 8481
wth the channels you are adding i feb i hpoe the 6 tuner dvr comes in the 1st quater.
post #7856 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibby3 View Post

wth the channels you are adding i feb i hpoe the 6 tuner dvr comes in the 1st quater.

Gawd...you're either a horrible typist or a horrible speller...or both.
post #7857 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytoncy View Post

My speeds vary and I can get max from time to time but I normally stay in the middle most of the time. I'm on the preferred tier which I believe is 15 Mbps or 19 with PowerBoost. Here is an example:

This is unacceptable. Have you had anyone come out and take a look? What modem & router are you using?
post #7858 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

This is unacceptable. Have you had anyone come out and take a look? What modem & router are you using?

I haven't had anybody out here yet. I have a current gen Apple Airport Extreme (Christmas gift that I'm trying out, but they're supposed to be good router, I normally use DD-WRT on an old Linksys) and my router is a Motorola SURFBoard SB5101U. I know it is only DOCSIS 2.0 but it should easily have the throughput I need. I see that the Cox site has been updated to say that this modem is for Starter and Essential only. DOCSIS 2.0 I believe goes up to 38 Mbps which should be fine for what I've got going on.
post #7859 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

The first half of this year is going to be really good (PVE, 6Tnr...)

does 6 Tuner have Self install?



Also ..... what ever happened to ShoTime AnyTime?
post #7860 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytoncy View Post

I haven't had anybody out here yet. I have a current gen Apple Airport Extreme (Christmas gift that I'm trying out, but they're supposed to be good router, I normally use DD-WRT on an old Linksys) and my router is a Motorola SURFBoard SB5101U. I know it is only DOCSIS 2.0 but it should easily have the throughput I need. I see that the Cox site has been updated to say that this modem is for Starter and Essential only. DOCSIS 2.0 I believe goes up to 38 Mbps which should be fine for what I've got going on.

email coxhelp@cox.com and tell them I sent you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - Cox