or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Disneys Song Of The South
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Disneys Song Of The South  

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
This is being shown on BBC Television in the UK next week on August 5th at 11am in the morning ( school holidays over here ) its deemed suitable for kids in the UK yet it has never been given a release on DVD ( as far as i'm aware although there are bootlegs out there ) I don't think it's racist so why don't Disney release it and get off their guilt trip about what a few people who haven't seen the movie might think.

On another note i think Disney has gone downhill under the leadership of Michael Eisner ( look at some of their recent output and not just animation but the live movies such as The Alamo ) its a travesty that Walt's son is no longer with the company for whatever reason although i suspect Eisner was one of those reasons.
post #2 of 54
You have to be politically correct and not offend 1% of the 12% population that comprises the blacks in the United States.
Disney has not released on DVD another great movie So Dear To My Heart, perhaps because one of the main features in the movie is a black sheep.
post #3 of 54
Oh lord- here we go...
post #4 of 54
Thread Starter 
Ok dave explain your comment please because as an outsider and coming from the UK i can't understand what you mean ?
post #5 of 54
If this thread remains open you'll see.
post #6 of 54
It is a travesty that copyright law, whose constitutional justification is "to promote science and the useful arts", is being used by Eisner to SUPPRESS a work created by his forefathers in the corporation.

I don't believe that SOTS is racist, although it certainly reflects a much different time period. So does Huck Finn. The urge to airbrush artifacts of the past to match today's political fashions is dangerous IMHO.
post #7 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
If this thread remains open you'll see.
Spit it out Dave and tell me exactly what you mean, are you saying you want this thread closed and consider Song Of The South racist ?

I really don't understand certain attitudes towards this film but if you wish to enlighten me i am willing to listen to arguments.
post #8 of 54
No, just that it's a very contentious topic. Go check out the multiple threads on Home Theater Forum and DVDTalk.
post #9 of 54
Thread Starter 
We should be able to discuss these types of topics without insulting anyone or getting personal or too political although by its very nature Disneys ban on the film is probably political, anyways hopefully reasonable discussion without going overboard can be done........ least i hope so.
post #10 of 54
I have a DVD of SOTS which was made from the old Japanese laserdisc. It's not the best quality by today's standards but it's better than nothing. Burned some for friends and family since it'll never get a legit video release again. Please don't ask where I got it from as (in Brittany Murphy voice:) I'll never tell.
post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by 720p
I have a DVD of SOTS which was made from the old Japanese laserdisc. It's not the best quality by today's standards but it's better than nothing. Burned some for friends and family since it'll never get a legit video release again. Please don't ask where I got it from as (in Brittany Murphy voice:) I'll never tell.
A simple Google search on the Internet will turn up sites where you can get a DVD of SOTS burned from a VHS copy or from a Laserdisc release.
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
A simple Google search on the Internet will turn up sites where you can get a DVD of SOTS burned from a VHS copy or from a Laserdisc release.
Not for free it won't. ;) Now that I think of it, I also have the original PAL videotape. Used once to transfer to an NTSC tape. If anyone's interested in that LMK.
post #13 of 54
SOTS is I think the only movie that I have downloaded that I do not own in any format, and frankly I don't feel the slightest bit bad about it.

There is absolutely nothing racist about this movie. In fact I would argue that Disney is being racist by not releasing it.

This movie portrays a general attitude that reflects the time it was made. It is disgusting that Disney will not recognize and accept this. Good heavens, if this is not a perfect example to show how much we have changed and how far we have come, what is?
post #14 of 54
Quote:
its a travesty that Walt's son is no longer with the company for whatever reason although i suspect Eisner was one of those reasons.
Roy Disney is Walt's nephew not his son.

Regards,
Lee
post #15 of 54
Michael Eisner is a jerk and will not survive as ceo for much longer.
Let me just say in regards to SOTS, that if we do not learn from mistakes and suppress history, we are bound to repeat them.
post #16 of 54
I can get SOTS on DVD with "quaranteed quality", fully refundable, from a regular vendor at our local monthly flee market any time I want. I'm attempted to pick up a copy some Saturday and see what can be done with it by tweaking video and audio to the hilt to hopefully make it enjoyable! Last time I stopped by the booth they were asking about $25 for the DVD.
post #17 of 54
...obviously, the film is being held back because it portrays white, slave owning persons in an illin' light!:rolleyes: Meanwhile, I enjoy the Laserdisc and show it to anybody who wants to see it.

It's pretty damn sorry that it shown to some over-seas markets and get the ole P.I. at home...! That's really messed up! Zippity doo dah dud...:(
post #18 of 54
i need to check my local flee market too
post #19 of 54
Gone With the Wind stereotypes blacks in a much worst light than SOS, yet it is is considered a classic. Indeed the studio would generate a firestorm if they attempted to ban it.
post #20 of 54
This movie seems to divide people into two camps:

1) Those who think it is a piece of racist propaganda that should be suppressed from public view.

or

2) Those who feel that it is not at all racist, and is a wonderful work of art that deserves to be viewed by all families.

I guess I fall into a strange minority, then. I don't believe the movie is racist. I just think it's a really bad movie that has been undeservedly romanticized due to the controversy around it. Like almost all Disney live-action movies from the period, it's a terribly written, acted, and directed picture featuring some horribly annoying little brat in the lead role.

I don't think the film deserves to be banned for its depiction of black characters. But I do think that if there had never been a controversy, no one would ever want to watch it.
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by tm22721
Gone With the Wind stereotypes blacks in a much worst light than SOS, yet it is is considered a classic. Indeed the studio would generate a firestorm if they attempted to ban it.
I don't think the point is that it contains stereotypes, but that it depicts slaves as happy-go-lucky folks who sing "Zipa-Dee-Doo-Dah" and are loved by all the kids as "Uncles" and storytellers. The point of its detractors is that it presents a disorted view of what was the abomination of slavery.

I agree that it should be available, that political correctness has gone too far, etc. I'm against ANY kind of censorship, especially of classic films. But I think the point of issue should be properly recognized.

Interesting fact: James Haskett who was Uncle Remus won a special Oscar for the role "For his able and heart-warming characterization of Uncle Remus, friend and story teller to the children of the world, in Walt Disney's Song of the South." Oscar Winner Hattie McDaniel was in it too!
post #22 of 54
Josh, you really are a brilliant critic so we should all respect your opinion! I am old enough to remember the movie because I watched it in a theater and I loved it.
Josh, your dislike for this movie and Saving Private Ryan, and your praise for Bowling For Columbine show that maybe you need an attitude adjustment or a few more brain cells.
post #23 of 54
I own the Japanese import laserdisc, it's great fun! I should set up a factory but I won't for obvious reasons. BTW if it was such a racist movie why did they devote an entire ride (Splash Mountain) to it??
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
This movie seems to divide people into two camps:

1) Those who think it is a piece of racist propaganda that should be suppressed from public view.

or

2) Those who feel that it is not at all racist, and is a wonderful work of art that deserves to be viewed by all families.

I guess I fall into a strange minority, then. I don't believe the movie is racist. I just think it's a really bad movie that has been undeservedly romanticized due to the controversy around it. Like almost all Disney live-action movies from the period, it's a terribly written, acted, and directed picture featuring some horribly annoying little brat in the lead role.

I don't think the film deserves to be banned for its depiction of black characters. But I do think that if there had never been a controversy, no one would ever want to watch it.
Regardless it is a part of film history and should be available. You don't have to buy it a la the butchered SW Trilogy.
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by mkultra
BTW if it was such a racist movie why did they devote an entire ride (Splash Mountain) to it??
I've always wondered this as well. I don't see how today's kids even know the Brer Rabbit story.
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by mkultra
Regardless it is a part of film history and should be available. You don't have to buy it a la the butchered SW Trilogy.
I indeed agree.
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by badgerfan
Josh, you really are a brilliant critic so we should all respect your opinion! I am old enough to remember the movie because I watched it in a theater and I loved it.
Good for you. How old were you at the time? Have you tried watching it as an adult? Like many children's movies, it doesn't hold up to your memory of it.

Quote:
Josh, your dislike for this movie and Saving Private Ryan, and your praise for Bowling For Columbine show that maybe you need an attitude adjustment or a few more brain cells.
No need to be a jerk.
post #28 of 54
Oh, it really wasn't such a bad movie. If you look really closely at just about any Disney movie, the feet of clay become obvious (to stretch a metaphor). The cartoon sequences are quite nice, in the classic style of Disney animation.

It's a pity the Joel Chandler Harris stories have just about fallen off the map. As an Atlantan born and bred, I always had a keen awareness of his work, from this film and from his house, The Wren's Nest, in the West End. Though it's a part of Atlanta that is now primarily Black, as I recall the neighborhood respects the place and has storytelling there. Hardly something that would be done if the man's work was regarded as racist.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/atlanta/har.htm

The Harris tales are genuine folklore, most likely African tales refurbished with North American animals by slaves. My grandmother had the Tales of Uncle Remus, but it was difficult to follow for a child, almost like Shakespeare. For full comprehension it really must be read aloud. The stories are wise and quite entertaining.
post #29 of 54
Josh,

I think you mis-characterized the views of SotS. In fact, your thoughts are those of the majority.

The are probably only a handful of people who still object to SotS. The same folks who complain about Dumbo, and Disney released that.

The problem is that it's just not that great or popular a movie. It won't be a big selling DVD, so why put up with the hassle from the few protesters?

Like a Tracy Lord's porno, the mythical status of SotS is due to its being "banned", not due to inherent quality.
post #30 of 54
Ok I had to go look up on the internet about this movie cause I had never seen it. So thats where the Uncle Remus book I had when I was a kid came from.

I will seek out this movie and watch it now. I have found that stuff like this often gets buried down here (SC) as it brings up racial taboo topics. I had never heard of "Birth of a Nation" before a film class last year. After watching it I saw why, but I did see if you looked past the KKK junk there was a lot of real suppressed history in that film. The punitive aspects of Reconstruction is rarely studied/mentioned anymore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Disneys Song Of The South