or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 3

post #61 of 2894
I bought a silver Techcraft stand for my 32 inch Sanyo. Circuit City, $150

Warning, this stand is a monster to assemble., The instructions are worse than poor. I actually built it backwards once, then had to disassemble pieces to get it together the right way. Took me well over two hours to assemble it.
But it does look really nice.... And it's built for tv's of this weight range....


http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...toid=-9798&m=0
post #62 of 2894
Anyone else notice the PQ is noticably sharper on this Sanyo in 1080i than 720p? Given this is no big surprise since the set doesn't do 720p natively, but the conversion to 1080i degrades the PQ to a larger degree than I'd expect. 720p images look very soft. Though honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with the soft picture in 1080i as well compared to the slightly higher priced competition - even after calibration with Avia. People's eyes just don't look as crisp as they should IMHO.
post #63 of 2894
Question for the guys that got their HTPC connected to this TV,
What settings are you guys using for this connection? what steps did you take?
I'm connecting to a Mx440 DVI out, just switched from a Monter 400 cable to an ebay generic cable and have all kinds of problems just like when I first hooked up the monster cable. It seemed to be a Sync issue, a lot of flashing, duplicating boxes, I was eventually able to get the monter 400 to work, but with lot of overscan but when I switched over to the the ebay cable at what I thought were the same settings, then the sync issues with the flashin, duplicating boxes came back... now I can't seem to get rid of it and display the screen normally.
post #64 of 2894
Yum.. I am eating my words. It is tasty!

This leads to a question. How do I turn-off the 3:2 pull down feature if my DVD player is doing the 3:2 pulling down? Would that redundancy casue problems? May be Sanyo has automatic sensing capability to turn on/off this 3:2 pull down feature.

Anyone here know a way to test this?


Quote:
Originally posted by hardwired
I emailed Sanyo and asked if the HT32744 performs 3:2 pulldown conversion for film based programs and whether it does vertical compression (16:9 enhanced mode) for 16:9 DVD and HDTV programs like my previous Sony High Scan HD monitor and got an affirmative response:

Yes to both items.
The HT32744 has the 3:2 pulldown frame sequencing process used to convert movie frame rate (24fps) into TV video signal display rate (30fps).
And the LetterBox PixShape mode is the enhanced vertical compression
where scanning lines are concentrated in the 16:9 area of the screen.
Sorry but I don't know the exact chip used by our scaler circuit, hope the
rest of this helps.
Thank you, ..Sanyo Customer Service


I also found the Zoom mode to work nicely for blowing up the HD pic while watching some of the olympic diving competitions last night. My guess is the camera shots are still framed for 4:3 but haven't had a chance to catch alot of the other competitions where wide screen would more benefit.
post #65 of 2894
I think it depends on the original source of the broadcast materials. In theory PQ of 720p can be the same or better than 1080i. But from my experenice, NBC-HD @ 1080i (via cable and Sanyo's QAM tuner) is MUCH sharper than, say ABC @ 720p or CBS @ 1080i. The original resolution of the broadcast materials play a key role in PQ. I am guessing that both CBS and ABC convert their some SD materials for digital broadcasts whereas NBC-HD's materials were HD all the way. I am watching Olympic on NBC-HD now and I can see clearly the tatoos on some of the runners and divers.

EDIT: Just learn this: Not all ABC shows will be in HDTV immediately, but those that are will be in 720p format. All 720p programming is widescreen (16:9). Any ABC shows not in HDTV will be upconverted to the 720p widescreen (16:9) format.


On the DVD side, I have a Zenith 318 upconverting ouput @ 1080i via component output (connecting to the Sanyo). I have played more than 20 discs, and the 1080i PQ is significantly better than that of 480p and 720p.

So, there is no clear cut answere to the PQ @ ? format question.


Quote:
Originally posted by housecor
Anyone else notice the PQ is noticably sharper on this Sanyo in 1080i than 720p? Given this is no big surprise since the set doesn't do 720p natively, but the conversion to 1080i degrades the PQ to a larger degree than I'd expect. 720p images look very soft. Though honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with the soft picture in 1080i as well compared to the slightly higher priced competition - even after calibration with Avia. People's eyes just don't look as crisp as they should IMHO.
post #66 of 2894
Quote:
Originally posted by buzzly
I think it depends on the original source of the broadcast materials. In theory PQ of 720p can be the same or better than 1080i. But from my experenice, NBC-HD @ 1080i (via cable and Sanyo's QAM tuner) is MUCH sharper than, say ABC @ 720p or CBS @ 1080i. The original resolution of the broadcast materials play a key role in PQ. I am guessing that both CBS and ABC convert their some SD materials for digital broadcasts whereas NBC-HD's materials were HD all the way. I am watching Olympic on NBC-HD now and I can see clearly the tatoos on some of the runners and divers.

EDIT: Just learn this: Not all ABC shows will be in HDTV immediately, but those that are will be in 720p format. All 720p programming is widescreen (16:9). Any ABC shows not in HDTV will be upconverted to the 720p widescreen (16:9) format.


On the DVD side, I have a Zenith 318 upconverting ouput @ 1080i via component output (connecting to the Sanyo). I have played more than 20 discs, and the 1080i PQ is significantly better than that of 480p and 720p.

So, there is no clear cut answere to the PQ @ ? format question.

I'm not surprised that your PQ is best when the 318 outputs 1080i directly to the set since the set displays 1080i natively. My reference for 720p clarity on this set is MNF in 720p on ABC. I noticed the scoreboard and text have a soft, almost fuzzy quality. Also, King of Queens in 1080i on CBS last night was noticably clearer than Drew Carey in 720p on ABC. Conversion from 720p to 1080i on this set is mediocre at best in my eyes.
post #67 of 2894
Well my reference of viewing has so far been limited to the Olympics. So far I haven't seen anything on any of my other OTA channels that are 1080. But all the others are 720 and there's a big difference between NBC's Olympic coverage and the others broadcasts.

What exactly dictates that? Will there be a standard that all broadcasts will be in the same output? Forgive my ignorance..... I'm a newbie.
post #68 of 2894
Quote:


Originally posted by buzzly
Yum.. I am eating my words. It is tasty!

This leads to a question. How do I turn-off the 3:2 pull down feature if my DVD player is doing the 3:2 pulling down? Would that redundancy casue problems? May be Sanyo has automatic sensing capability to turn on/off this 3:2 pull down feature.

Anyone here know a way to test this?

If you've got your DVD player doing the 3:2 pulldown, then the dvd player will be outputing progressive scan. The TV wont do 3:2 pulldown on progressive material because there will be no need to. If the player outputs interlaced, then the TV will do the 3:2 pulldown to display a progressive signal.

Ryan
post #69 of 2894
Quote:


Originally posted by housecor
Anyone else notice the PQ is noticably sharper on this Sanyo in 1080i than 720p? Given this is no big surprise since the set doesn't do 720p natively, but the conversion to 1080i degrades the PQ to a larger degree than I'd expect. 720p images look very soft. Though honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with the soft picture in 1080i as well compared to the slightly higher priced competition - even after calibration with Avia. People's eyes just don't look as crisp as they should IMHO.

I concur. HD @ 1080i is definitely better on a Sony HS510 or HS420, but I have only been using the built-in DTV tuner on the Sanyo. Not sure if it's the same or better using an external STB via component or HDMI, but suspect it's about the same for 1080i and perhaps better for 720p that's upconverted by the STB to 1080i.
post #70 of 2894
That makes sense.

Quote:


Originally posted by oryan_dunn
If you've got your DVD player doing the 3:2 pulldown, then the dvd player will be outputing progressive scan. The TV wont do 3:2 pulldown on progressive material because there will be no need to. If the player outputs interlaced, then the TV will do the 3:2 pulldown to display a progressive signal.

Ryan
post #71 of 2894
I posted this in poll thread and received one response. I was hoping some other people might have some input. I'm kind of curious to know whether anybody has experienced thick scrolling black bars on the Sanyo 32 inch hdtv. I've had this problem on my panasonic ct32hxc14. It's extrememly noticable when component cables are being run into the tv and I've done everything to try and isolate the problem and it looks like it's somehow part of the tv itself. It kind of infurates me to be watching a movie and when a scene in the movie is bright I can see these thick black bars scrolling on the set. If nobody else has seen this problem then I'll soon be the owner of the sanyo tv. Any other input about what people don't like about the tv would be useful as well. The tv will be used for probably 70% gaming, 20% dvd's, and 10% standard definition dish sattelite service.
post #72 of 2894
Finally have a chance to compare programming in HD channels @720p and 1080i via Comcast cable.

NBC-HD Olympics @ 1080i

FOX - NFL football 720p

CBS - Red Sox @ 1080i

and not sport events

PBS- HD @ 1080i
ABC - Prime time sitcom @ 720P

I can say that PQ @ 1080i is better than that of 720p every time with this Sanyo. I agree with you that the PQ got worse when upconverting from incoming 720p to 1080i in this TV.

However, aftering calibrated the Sanyo with DVE, I got very sharp picture @ 1080i comparing to other "higher price competition." I think this Sanyo can hold its own in this area.


Quote:


Originally posted by housecor
Anyone else notice the PQ is noticably sharper on this Sanyo in 1080i than 720p? Given this is no big surprise since the set doesn't do 720p natively, but the conversion to 1080i degrades the PQ to a larger degree than I'd expect. 720p images look very soft. Though honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with the soft picture in 1080i as well compared to the slightly higher priced competition - even after calibration with Avia. People's eyes just don't look as crisp as they should IMHO.
post #73 of 2894
Jeff. How big are these black bars you are seeing? Are they vertical lines, and do you see them on all chanels or only on some analog and digital channels?
post #74 of 2894
Quote:


Originally posted by buzzly

I can say that PQ @ 1080i is better than that of 720p every time with this Sanyo. I agree with you that the PQ got worse when upconverting from incoming 720p to 1080i in this TV.

Thanks for the input Buzzly. So my problem is this. 1080i looks great, but many argue 720p is the future of HD due to it's lower bandwidth requirements and superior fast movement rendering. If more stations move to 720p down the road this set becomes a bit of a disappointment for me. There's just not the same HD wow factor on this set in 720p IMHO. I notice it on scoreboards in 720p - text looks a bit fuzzy. May have to hold out for a set that produces 720p and 1080i natively...or at least has superior upconverted PQ.

Also, Buzzly - Do you have a way to convert 720p to 1080i on your Comcast box? I'd be interested to see if 720p broadcasts look better if they're converted by a STB rather than the set.

Oh, and don't take my little gripe too far - I still think this TV is an amazing deal. SD PQ is excellent and head and shoulders above any HD set I've ever seen. The built in tuner has superb sensitivity, & 1080i rivals higher priced sets. Plus, compared to its Sony and Zenith competition very few significant problems have been reported. Just sporadic geometry issues for the most part.
post #75 of 2894
I don't have a Comcast STB. I got all those channels I talked about FREE (kinda).

I also read somewhere that Sanyo uses its own convertion chip, most likely not in the same level as the Genesis Faroudja DCDi FLI2301 chip used in my Zenith DVB318 ($20 each in volume back in 2003).

Quote:


Originally posted by housecor

Also, Buzzly - Do you have a way to convert 720p to 1080i on your Comcast box? I'd be interested to see if 720p broadcasts look better if they're converted by a STB rather than the set.

post #76 of 2894
Can someone who used AVIA or DVE PLEASE post what you got for each category. If not how many clicks then at least percentages. Like contrast= about 30%, brightness= 50%, etc.
post #77 of 2894
I was just in a Canadian WalMart and finally got to see the 27" model, though it wasn't displaying any HD content.

Hopefully the pricing information posted below is ok, since these sets can't be purchased anywhere else. Mods, delete if inappropriate.

They had the 27" priced at $699 CDN and the 30" widescreen model was priced at $999 CDN.

I really wish the 27" model was available South of the Border, since I'd pick one up as a bedroom TV for that price.
post #78 of 2894
Well I picked it up today. All I can say is wow! After an hour wait for the Walmart folks to unbury the TV I was on the way home with it with a friend. I also, picked up a cheapy RCA antenna (I'm abotu 5 miles from all of my antennas). After about an hour of setting up all of the cables (I only wanted to do it once), I flicked it on and it searched for channels. I picked up everything except FOX. Also, some of the other channels come in and out so the antenna is headed back tommorow for a more powerfull one.

The HD olympics looked excellant! SD was a bit fuzzy, so I turned down the Contrast, and lowered the sharpness. There was still of junk that was showing up. So I checked my connection and they were all with poor quaility coax cable. So I decided to run a RCA cable from my cable box to the TV and WOW! It is very very clear now. And it looks a heck of a lot better then my 10 yr old Samsung 25".

If you are still thinking about this TV, now is the time. This will make a great start HDTV, with an upgrade to a widescreen (+42") in a couple years.

Thanks for everyones input!


-Ryan
post #79 of 2894
Quote:


Originally posted by Slickman
Can someone who used AVIA or DVE PLEASE post what you got for each category. If not how many clicks then at least percentages. Like contrast= about 30%, brightness= 50%, etc.

Sure thing. Ran Avia on mine. Here's the results:

Color: 45%
Tint: 1 Notch to the left (you wont see the indicator actually move though)
Contrast: 30%
Brightness: 45%
Sharpness: 50%

That should get you pretty close. I'm very pleased with the results.
post #80 of 2894
Thread Starter 
If you're only 5 miles out from the broadcast points then I'd suspect you might actually have too strong of a signal. Is the antenna powered? I'd try simple rabbit ears. Did you try rotating the antenna? You can hit the "info" button on the remote and it will give you a signal meter for the station that you can use to adjust the direction.

Quote:


Originally posted by Amigo-2k
Well I picked it up today. All I can say is wow! After an hour wait for the Walmart folks to unbury the TV I was on the way home with it with a friend. I also, picked up a cheapy RCA antenna (I'm abotu 5 miles from all of my antennas). After about an hour of setting up all of the cables (I only wanted to do it once), I flicked it on and it searched for channels. I picked up everything except FOX. Also, some of the other channels come in and out so the antenna is headed back tommorow for a more powerfull one.

The HD olympics looked excellant! SD was a bit fuzzy, so I turned down the Contrast, and lowered the sharpness. There was still of junk that was showing up. So I checked my connection and they were all with poor quaility coax cable. So I decided to run a RCA cable from my cable box to the TV and WOW! It is very very clear now. And it looks a heck of a lot better then my 10 yr old Samsung 25".

If you are still thinking about this TV, now is the time. This will make a great start HDTV, with an upgrade to a widescreen (+42") in a couple years.

Thanks for everyones input!


-Ryan
post #81 of 2894
IT is a non power pair of rabbit ears (RCA) from Walmart. I checked the info button and all of the channels are at least 75%, except it didn't pick up fox. is there a way I can punch in a channel that it didn't pick up? I would like to place my antenna in a place that it is not so visable too.
-Ryan
post #82 of 2894
Quote:


Originally posted by housecor
Sure thing. Ran Avia on mine. Here's the results:

Color: 45%
Tint: 1 Notch to the left (you wont see the indicator actually move though)
Contrast: 30%
Brightness: 45%
Sharpness: 50%

That should get you pretty close. I'm very pleased with the results.

Thank you so much! I'm literally going to have like 5 bucks left after buying the TV and this helps alot! Thanks again!
post #83 of 2894
Thread Starter 
I'm about 12 miles out and typically have no problems with rabbit ears. I'm on the top floor of a 3-story building so maybe that helps. It might be the buildings/trees around you that are causing problems. Might be worth trying another antenna. I think you can manually add channels that weren't picked up during the auto scan via the "digital add-on search" in the menu.

Quote:


Originally posted by Amigo-2k
IT is a non power pair of rabbit ears (RCA) from Walmart. I checked the info button and all of the channels are at least 75%, except it didn't pick up fox. is there a way I can punch in a channel that it didn't pick up? I would like to place my antenna in a place that it is not so visable too.
-Ryan
post #84 of 2894
Quote:


Originally posted by AranC23
I currently am setup to send 1280x720 (720p) to my HT32744 through a DVI-HDMI cable from my GeForce4 Ti4200 card. There may be better options and I'm still tinkering with it. The interesting this is that because the resolution used is 16:9 in aspect but the physical display is 4:3. This means that I had explicitly tell the software I use (MythTV) not to pillarbox standard 4:3 material. I think it assumed that because the pixel ratio was 16:9 that the display must also be 16:9.
In other words, you're not stuck with 480i, unless you're using the standard composite inputs of course!

AranC23,
What settings are you using for the display, are you using powerstrip? I'm also displaying 1280x720 and occ 720x480p from my HTPC through HDMI, but with lot of overscan on both resolutions.

Has anyone been successful displaying 1920x1080i from HTPC through HDMI on this TV? I'm able to display it, but the picture seems to go black every 1-2 seconds. Drives me nuts, can't figure out what is causing it...no flickering or apparent sync issues. everytime I make ANY adjustment to refresh rate, FP, BP, Sync numbers it simply won't display anything at all.
post #85 of 2894
I just purchased the 30" Sanyo and i noticed that when in "FULL" sceen mode that there is a slight "compressed" look to the left and right edges of the screen. You can only really notice it when a camera pans from left to right. I was wondering if there's anything in the service menu to adjust this or is this just normal? Here's a small example of what i mean.

4:3 mode
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |

16:9 mode
||| | | | | | | | | |||
||| | | | | | | | | |||
||| | | | | | | | | |||

If there is something in the menu to adjust this can someone point me to what it is? I looked at the menu and it's pretty cryptic. Don't want to touch much in there.

Thanks
post #86 of 2894
Quote:


Originally posted by RebelWax
If there is something in the menu to adjust this can someone point me to what it is? I looked at the menu and it's pretty cryptic. Don't want to touch much in there.
Thanks [/b]

It sounds like you're referring to poor geometry caused by excessive contrast levels. The power supply in this set is pretty weak which distorts the geometry toward the left and right screen edges when the contrast/brightness levels are too high. Have you calibrated your set with Avia or DVE? My set exhibited this issue very noticeably until I dialed these settings way back. Now this issue is hardly noticeable.
post #87 of 2894
Quote:


Originally posted by housecor
It sounds like you're referring to poor geometry caused by excessive contrast levels. The power supply in this set is pretty weak which distorts the geometry toward the left and right screen edges when the contrast/brightness levels are too high. Have you calibrated your set with Avia or DVE? My set exhibited this issue very noticeably until I dialed these settings way back. Now this issue is hardly noticeable.

When in 4:3 ratio i can see the verticle edges and they seem pretty good. A very slight bow to them but nothing i would care about. It's just when I go to 16:9 ratio i can notice the video is compressed on the left and right edges. I also notice it when i zoom in fully.
post #88 of 2894
Folks,

I have been waiting to make up my mind about a new tv so in the interim I bought the 32" as I had no tv now for about a year


Boy is it blurry! I would think that it should be at least as comarable to the inexpensive sony's
It does improve as the resolution increases it appears I am unable to get any 720 Progressive in put not matter what DVD's I use or cable signal.
I have used both a laserdisc on composite 3 and DVD on comcposite 2.
I has improved but I do not have my DVHS test tape yet to do 1080i.


This does not sound like I got a good model .
I always turn down the contrast and Brightness to set the black level properly but I cannot seem to get any where near the clarity of my Sony's
.
If any body has any thoughts or tests I should perform please feel to email or PM me
Is there a diagnostic mode I can initiate in service mode?

Thanks in advance

Oh what would be the result of calling sanyo do they actually send a service man out or should I swap it with walmarts .

They are rather wonderful at that level


Sincerely,
Kevin

Additionally
What would cause a vast difference in the smpte resolution pattern,

The vertical lines show more tha 450 lines int the pattern but the horizontal patterns barely make 200 and wobbly at that
post #89 of 2894
Quote:


Originally posted by svxman
AranC23,
What settings are you using for the display, are you using powerstrip? I'm also displaying 1280x720 and occ 720x480p from my HTPC through HDMI, but with lot of overscan on both resolutions.

Has anyone been successful displaying 1920x1080i from HTPC through HDMI on this TV? I'm able to display it, but the picture seems to go black every 1-2 seconds. Drives me nuts, can't figure out what is causing it...no flickering or apparent sync issues. everytime I make ANY adjustment to refresh rate, FP, BP, Sync numbers it simply won't display anything at all.

I'm using an FX5200 with my 32" Sanyo HDTV. With the official NVIDIA 61.77 drivers, I was able to get 480p & 720p resolutions, but not a useable 1080i display. To compensate for the overscan in 720p, I used the Keystone app that came with the NVIDIA driver. However, I was getting slightly choppy video & mouse movements, so I tried out the beta Forceware 66.00 drivers. These work great to minimize the overscan, BUT it causes everything to be tall & squished horizontally. Watching recorded TV shows & XviD (widescreen) movies is fine, but I am having problems watching DVDs. The screen is slightly stretched vertically, so people look slightly taller & skinnier. It's strange that the XviD version of the movie looks fine. Does anyone know how to fix this in ZP or WinDVD 6?

Thanks,
jawgee
post #90 of 2894
Quote:


Originally posted by RebelWax
I just purchased the 30" Sanyo and i noticed that when in "FULL" sceen mode that there is a slight "compressed" look to the left and right edges of the screen. You can only really notice it when a camera pans from left to right. I was wondering if there's anything in the service menu to adjust this or is this just normal? Here's a small example of what i mean.

4:3 mode
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |

16:9 mode
||| | | | | | | | | |||
||| | | | | | | | | |||
||| | | | | | | | | |||

If there is something in the menu to adjust this can someone point me to what it is? I looked at the menu and it's pretty cryptic. Don't want to touch much in there.

Thanks

I've noticed a similar effect with my philips set. I'd like to know what it is as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread