or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Richmond, VA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Richmond, VA - HDTV - Page 284

post #8491 of 8853
Finally, I can't wait to get off of work now!
post #8492 of 8853
No NBATV HD? Thanks for the list.
post #8493 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi View Post

No NBATV HD? Thanks for the list.

I believe the following channels will be added in the near future (in reference to Comcast north of the James and their pamphlet)...

WGN HD 814
ESPNU HD 853
CBS College Sports HD 854
Big Ten Network HD 855
NHL HD 858
MLB HD 859
Tennis Channel HD 862
NBA TV HD 863
Outdoor Channel HD 864

B.
post #8494 of 8853
Kills me that the Channel Lineup on Comcast.com/net...tvlistings.com,etc (for 23113) do not show the new channels they added. Sheesh.

Always something to bitch about...eh?

B
post #8495 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer View Post

Kills me that the Channel Lineup on Comcast.com/net...tvlistings.com,etc (for 23113) do not show the new channels they added. Sheesh.

Always something to bitch about...eh?

B

I still don't have guide data for the new channels on the Tivo Premier, what about you guys?
post #8496 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi View Post

I still don't have guide data for the new channels on the Tivo Premier, what about you guys?

I have two cable card devices (TV and TiVo). The TiVo did not start picking up the new channels until today (of course, the Comcast DVR picked them up yesterday). However, the guide does not show them yet and the info button provides no info. I think it will probably take a day or so for the TiVo to catch up with the changes due to the large number of channels involved. A channel rescan may be necessary.

The TV does not pick any of them up yet. However, the TV cable card has always been problematic; maybe I will have to replace it.
post #8497 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich41 View Post
I have two cable card devices (TV and TiVo). The TiVo did not start picking up the new channels until today (of course, the Comcast DVR picked them up yesterday). However, the guide does not show them yet and the info button provides no info. I think it will probably take a day or so for the TiVo to catch up with the changes due to the large number of channels involved. A channel rescan may be necessary.

The TV does not pick any of them up yet. However, the TV cable card has always been problematic; maybe I will have to replace it.
Tribune Media Services supplies the guide data for Tivo. Comcast has to supply the data to Tribune Media Services, who must then supply the data to Tivo. It takes several days. You're going to have to run a channel scan to pick up the new channels. You can always schedule manual recordings on the Tivo until the guide data appears.
post #8498 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post

Tribune Media Services supplies the guide data for Tivo. Comcast has to supply the data to Tribune Media Services, who must then supply the data to Tivo. It takes several days. You're going to have to run a channel scan to pick up the new channels. You can always schedule manual recordings on the Tivo until the guide data appears.

Delete the guide today, still no info when it reloaded. The wait continues.
post #8499 of 8853
Comcast here also rolled out their HD line up in Petersburg-Dinwiddie area uhh--I am so excited ... of course the guide on my TIVO HD just said to be announced.

I was able to tell Windows 7 to recognize the new line up right away, but no luck on TIVOHD series 3.
post #8500 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi View Post

Delete the guide today, still no info when it reloaded. The wait continues.

Comcast has yet to add the new channels to the channel line up on its Web page; so I guess it will be a while before anything happens. Surely, they have know what the channel assignments would be for some time; one would think that they would be prepared to respond faster than this.
post #8501 of 8853
It still isn't all that much of a stellar line-up.

As for the antiquated hardware south of the James, I wonder if/when we will EVER see a menu that's actually formatted for 16 x 9 and/or contains a DECENT search feature. The SA 8300 wasn't very good, even it's day...and it's day is LOOOONG past, IMO.

I'd get a TIVO it it didn't mean yet another monthly fee. I had the early models and loved them. Oh well.
post #8502 of 8853
You know... I'm getting a little ticked off at FIOS now.

Comcast seems to be blowing by them in HD channels, albeit maybe comcasts are about 3Mb/s and look like crap......

I'd really like to have Cartoon Network HD on FIOS.
post #8503 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell View Post

You know... I'm getting a little ticked off at FIOS now.

Comcast seems to be blowing by them in HD channels, albeit maybe comcasts are about 3Mb/s and look like crap......

I'd really like to have Cartoon Network HD on FIOS.

Depends on what you want.
I'm glad I have over 40 HD movie channels.
post #8504 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell View Post

You know... I'm getting a little ticked off at FIOS now.

Comcast seems to be blowing by them in HD channels, albeit maybe comcasts are about 3Mb/s and look like crap......

I'd really like to have Cartoon Network HD on FIOS.

I honestly do not think Comcast's HD looks bad. For a while there...few years a go...it degraded from there initial offereing. Now...especially with these new channels...they look great. Even on a big screen (65" LCD 1080p 120Hz).
post #8505 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell View Post

You know... I'm getting a little ticked off at FIOS now.

Comcast seems to be blowing by them in HD channels, albeit maybe comcasts are about 3Mb/s and look like crap......

I'd really like to have Cartoon Network HD on FIOS.


The vast majority of channels that Comcast added last week are channels that Fios has had for quite some time.
post #8506 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell View Post

You know... I'm getting a little ticked off at FIOS now.

Comcast seems to be blowing by them in HD channels, albeit maybe comcasts are about 3Mb/s and look like crap......

I'd really like to have Cartoon Network HD on FIOS.

According to an article on The Huffington Post about Netflix movie-streaming and internet providers, Comcast is doing better than most in download speed, assuming the USA is the venue. Of course, other countries have providers that are much faster. The article (see link below) relates the following:

"Charter, the fourth largest company in the country (by revenue) won out, with cable giant Comcast coming in at number two. Verizon and AT&T were in eighth and ninth places, respectively."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_815020.html
post #8507 of 8853
Verizon's numbers for that mixed together their Fios and DSL services.
post #8508 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Verizon's numbers for that mixed together their Fios and DSL services.

Right, I should have read the Netflix web site (see below). The site author notes that the top HD streams for the movies are about 4800 kilobits per second. The author also points out that no client would sustain a 4800 stream from start to finish (there would at least be a few smaller streams averaged in for startup); but the higher the sustained average, the greater the throughput the client can achieve, and the greater the image quality over the duration of the play.

The US leader was Charter with an 2667 kilobits per second average over the period and Comcast was not far behind. Several commenter's noted the failure to separate FIOS from the Verizon DSL and requested it be done in the future. Some commenter's indicated that the FIOS average might well be close to the top level of 4800 kilobits per second and others indicate it might be even greater.

http://techblog.netflix.com/2011/01/...-networks.html
post #8509 of 8853
Comcast has two web sites that provide the channel listings. One is on "comcast.com" and Comcast has yet to add the new channels to this web page; although it's primary purpose seems to be for new customers to see what channels come with the various service packages.

The second listing is on "fancast.com" and appears to be for current customers. It includes not only the channel listings but also program information. This listing has been updated to include the new HD channels with program information. The fancast cite also provides a link to the DVR manager which allows customers to schedule recordings on the Comcast DVRs via a computer. Does any one know if this works for the SA8300?

Although the new channels are being picked up by my TiVo via the cable card, the guide info has yet to appear. Maybe in a few days; one can hope
post #8510 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich41 View Post

Comcast has two web sites that provide the channel listings. One is on "comcast.com" and Comcast has yet to add the new channels to this web page; although it's primary purpose seems to be for new customers to see what channels come with the various service packages.

The second listing is on "fancast.com" and appears to be for current customers. It includes not only the channel listings but also program information. This listing has been updated to include the new HD channels with program information. The fancast cite also provides a link to the DVR manager which allows customers to schedule recordings on the Comcast DVRs via a computer. Does any one know if this works for the SA8300?

Although the new channels are being picked up by my TiVo via the cable card, the guide info has yet to appear. Maybe in a few days; one can hope

Thanks for the info...I have been checking Comcast.com.
From what I have read...only the Motorola boxes support remote control over the DVR's. Hopefully we will get the Moto boxes along with the new guide that has been north of the river for 87 years now

Found specific info...

Below is a list of the digital cable boxes that are compatible with the myDVR Manager service. If you don't see your cable box here, we will be adding more in the future, or you can exchange your current cable box at a Comcast Service Center (only available in serviceable areas).

*Note: Depending on local inventory, your local service center may not be able to exchange multiple cable boxes.
*Note: This service is not available in all areas.
*Note: This service is only available to customers who live in serviceable areas and who have a supported cable box.

Motorola
DCT 6208; DCT 6208R
HD, Analog/Digital, Single Tuner

DCT 6412; DCT 6412R
HD, Analog/Digital, Dual Tuner

DCT 3412; DCT 3412R
HD, All Digital, Dual Tuner

DCT 3416
HD, All Digital, Dual Tuner

DCT 6416
HD, Analog/Digital, Dual Tuner, M Card Host

DCH 3416; DCH 3416R
HD, All Digital, Dual Tuner, M Card Host

DCH 6416
HD, Analog/Digital, Dual Tuner, M Card Host

Motorola DCX 3400


Pace
TDC-577
TDC-575D

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/Fa...8-05136948876f
post #8511 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer View Post

Hopefully we will get the Moto boxes along with the new guide that has been north of the river for 87 years now

Is there any possibility of that? I thought there was some issue with the technology on the southside not working with the Moto boxes.
I would so love to kick these SA's to the curb!
post #8512 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer View Post

Hopefully we will get the Moto boxes along with the new guide that has been north of the river for 87 years now

At the Comcast displays at the best Buy stores in north Chesterfield, the box on display is the following:

DCH 3416
HD, All Digital, Dual Tuner, M Card Host

Have not checked at the Iron Bridge office as of yet; I still have many programs on my SA8300. Maybe later this year I can reduce the recordings to zero.

Continuing story. Although the new HD channels (with channel identification) are being picked up by my TiVo via the cable card, the program guide info has yet to appear.
post #8513 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich41 View Post
At the Comcast displays at the best Buy stores in north Chesterfield, the box on display is the following:

DCH 3416
HD, All Digital, Dual Tuner, M Card Host

Have not checked at the Iron Bridge office as of yet; I still have many programs on my SA8300. Maybe later this year I can reduce the recordings to zero.

Continuing story. Although the new HD channels (with channel identification) are being picked up by my TiVo via the cable card, the program guide info has yet to appear.
Did the Moto boxes have a different guide then we currently have? Like north of the river?
post #8514 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer View Post

Did the Moto boxes have a different guide then we currently have? Like north of the river?

It did not have any connections (power or otherwise); just a box setting on the display shelf.
post #8515 of 8853
For the Fios owners, they are sending out emails to get the newer DVRs if you aer on the waiting list.
post #8516 of 8853
I noticed that Comcast-Chesterfield has cut alot of the channels that you can get through the QAM tuner over the last day or two. Included in the cut channels are the ESPNs. I may have to bite the bullet and get another cable box, since the quality of the Digital Adapter is pretty poor when you view it over a HD TV.
post #8517 of 8853
What happened to all of the analog channels and what can I do about it?
post #8518 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post

What happened to all of the analog channels and what can I do about it?

2 options:
1) Get a Digital Adapter. This will give you the Standard def version of the 1-99 channels (and maybe a few more). Comcast was offering up to 2 of these free of charge a few weeks ago, but not sure about now. I got 2, one is on an old CRT tv (non-HD) and it looks fine, but if you hook it up to a HD TV the quality is just not very good
2) Get a cable box. This will be $10/month. As much as I hate paying for another box I think I'm going to have to do this for the bedroom TV.
post #8519 of 8853
Has anyone with a TiVo been able to get the programming guide info for the new HD channels in Chesterfield? The channels appear on the channel list and I have marked them so thy appear in the channel rotation on the remote. All I get is channel number and network identification; no info on the individual programs (says to be announced).
post #8520 of 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich41 View Post

Has anyone with a TiVo been able to get the programming guide info for the new HD channels in Chesterfield? The channels appear on the channel list and I have marked them so thy appear in the channel rotation on the remote. All I get is channel number and network identification; no info on the individual programs (says to be announced).

Nope, it's been like this for almost a month. Makes the channels useless if you watch everything recorded.

1-3 days of manual recording sure, but a month ugh!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Richmond, VA - HDTV