or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, FL - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, FL - HDTV - Page 211

post #6301 of 6828
OK, I'll play.

My question was simple: I asked you what your source was for the statement "9.1 Should be the new home of WHDT previously 44.1".

Since you haven't provided said source except to say that you've seen station IDs, I would conclude that your source is simply viewing the station itself and noting its IDs.

So how'd I do?
post #6302 of 6828
Over the weekend I had a Comcast tech come out to the house to replace the DVR; the old 6420 was acting up! Every week or so it would emit a rather loud whine that could only be stopped by unplugging it for a few minutes (I presume to cool down).

I asked him if he had a 3416 on the truck and he did so that was my replacement. It does look a lot better and my wife, particularly, likes both the appearance and the extra 40 gigs of storage space since she tends to get large collections of The Doctors and Oprah stored up!

The 3416 is an all digital box and while I didn't get a chance for a side-by-side comparison, the HD and SD picture qualities seem to show little or no change. If there is a change it is for the better but only a very small one!

Aside: Bear in mind my eyesight isn't what it used to be and my HDTV is a seven year old RPTV!

While he was there we also talked about upcoming changes. He confirmed that DOCSIS 3.0 will be fully implemented by summer. It is partially implemented now but they are having issues getting some modems to work with it. (He had replaced three the previous day).

Once implemented, additional HD channels will follow. He did not know which ones or exactly when butthere will be loads more HD by the end of the year!

As I said, FWIW!
post #6303 of 6828
Bryan, that all sounds great. Did the rep mention anything about pricing?

BTW, you might want to wander down to your local electronics discounter and do some window shopping. I thought my 5-year old Panny HD CRT monitor looked damn good until I brought home a Sammy LCD late last year. The Panny now looks like crap and has been banished to the bedroom.
post #6304 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Strat View Post

Bryan, that all sounds great. Did the rep mention anything about pricing?

Potential pricing never came up. I didn't ask and he didn't say. I'd not give a lot of credence to any pricing information at this stage anyway. It's quite possible that even those really in the know don't know that one yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Strat View Post

BTW, you might want to wander down to your local electronics discounter and do some window shopping. I thought my 5-year old Panny HD CRT monitor looked damn good until I brought home a Sammy LCD late last year. The Panny now looks like crap and has been banished to the bedroom.

Oh yes! Many a time I have wandered around Brandsmart and CompUSA drooling over everything!


We have a 27 SD CRT in the bedroom that will be replaced by a 37 HD LCD at some point. Ideally when it dies, but I suspect by the end of the year anyway!

The 46 Mits RPTV in the family room is still chugging along quite nicely and even though I'd love to replace it with a 50-55 HD LCD I can't possibly justify doing that right now!
post #6305 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCat View Post

We have a 27 SD CRT in the bedroom that will be replaced by a 37 HD LCD at some point. Ideally when it dies, but I suspect by the end of the year anyway!

The 46 Mits RPTV in the family room is still chugging along quite nicely and even though I'd love to replace it with a 50-55 HD LCD I can't possibly justify doing that right now!

Remember, if "the wife factor" keeps you from replacing ancient equipment, there are ways to expedite the death of old equipment. Useful destructive influences include liquids, iron filings, and subtle application of force.
post #6306 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Remember, if "the wife factor" keeps you from replacing ancient equipment, there are ways to expedite the death of old equipment. Useful destructive influences include liquids, iron filings, and subtle application of force.

Or you could just unplug it and say it doesn't work any more...
post #6307 of 6828
AT&T UVerse has added the following HD channels this week

Comedy Central
Spike TV HD
Nickelodeon HD
MTV HD
VH1 HD
CMT HD

For the full list see
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post15464035
post #6308 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Remember, if "the wife factor" keeps you from replacing ancient equipment, there are ways to expedite the death of old equipment. Useful destructive influences include liquids, iron filings, and subtle application of force.

I say... DON'T LISTEN TO "THE WIFE"! Unless, of course, SHE'S the one paying the bills.
post #6309 of 6828
ATTN DISH NETWORK SUBSCRIBERS... I have scheduled Dish Network for installation next week. I've heard some feedback that it has problems with freezing and other things. I know that there can be weather related outages, especially during heavy rains... but are there any other technical disadvantages to it? Once I'm connected, I'm locked in a two year commitment. I don't want to dump Comcast to do this if it's going to be two years of "heartburn". Please help me.
post #6310 of 6828
I have D* instead of Dish but if you're having outages make sure you have a tech go out there to adjust it. I had the same issue with just clouds and had it fixed. I rarely lose signal but lets see what happens when it rains.
post #6311 of 6828
I had Dish Network for two years. Occasionally I would lose signal during bad weather. As soon as the bad weather cleared up, the signal would come back. So if a storm lasts a few minutes, that's not too bad, but if it's raining hard for an hour, that's a long time to be without a signal.

I now have D* and never lose signal even during bad storms.

With Dish, you will get more HD channels now. Dish keeps adding HD channels while D* does not. D* has a new satellite going up later this year and if everything goes good with the launch, D* should add a lot of HD channels by years end or the beginning of 2010. That's a long time away.

Right now the best choice for HD is U-Verse, if its available in your neighborhood. They keep adding more HD channels and have a very nice channel lineup.
post #6312 of 6828
The sales guy when I got D* told me that D* has more satellites up so it helps with the weather. I don't know how to take that but I disregarded that info.
post #6313 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

The sales guy when I got D* told me that D* has more satellites up so it helps with the weather. I don't know how to take that but I disregarded that info.

Not totally wrong. Bad weather normally causes 1 or 2 satellites to loose signal. Directv uses 3 to 5 and they are spread a little. The same is true with Dish, though. When I was living in Central Florida I used to loose one satellite much more often than the others. Here in Miami I have never lost all of them at the same time, with Directv. This is a non-issue to me and mostly happens during the day when I don't care.
post #6314 of 6828
hi guys
I am in south dade [cutler bay] 33189
and am not getting CH 10 ABC at all signal strenght is zero
I get all the other channels ok to very strong
except for CH 7 [fox] is in and out

twin beam roof top ant to a sony sat HD100 box used as a DTV tuner only
to a 32'' sony HD CRT set without a DTV tuner

also I get some channels that have no picture or known local tv station
but do have a signal
ch 8 [key west ?] ch 9 ch 40 ch97 ch98 are like that
post #6315 of 6828
rain sure does much tooo often knock out my Dish TV standard def unit
are the HD dishTV units any better then the standard units for rain

bump to see what my chanel 10 problem is OTA ant tuner box or something else???
post #6316 of 6828
Channels 7 and 10 are transmitted via VHF. I'm in Fort Lauderdale using various tuners and antennas (indoor and outdoor). Both these stations are unquestionably the weakest and erratic of all the Miami stations. Even with an outdoor antenna I get only 50-60% signal strength for these stations. With indoor antennas my ability to receive these stations vary widely depending on weather and time of day. For me when the weather is bad I tend to pick up more stations, specifically the outliers in West Palm Beach.

Can you verify your antenna is VHF capable? You might want to buy cheap rabbit ears from Radio Shack and see if you can pull in these stations. I am willing to guess the problem is with your antenna, not your tuner. But since you also say you are getting phantom stations maybe something funky is going on with your tuner. You might want to consider getting a CECB, especially the Zenith one (available at Kmart). It's a nifty box for fine-tuning signal reception.

Finally, check out www.tvfool.com. Put you address in there and look at the results. It will tell you what stations you should be getting. Since you say you are getting channels 8 and 9 I think something might be amiss with your tuner. These channel numbers are the *real* channel numbers for (virtual) channels 7 and 10 (, respectively) ... as you can see from the tvfool.com results. Sometimes when broadcasters are fiddling around with the digital broadcasts customer lose the virtual channel number and find that it has "moved" to the real channel number, and visa-versa. Channel 44.1 moved to channel 9.1 without warning. Channel 5-1 (NBC in West Palm Beach) seems to channel 55-3 nowadays. At any rate, after June 12 one hopes all this will settle down.

Good luck. Sorry I can't be much help.


_Lazza
post #6317 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by nota View Post

hi guys
I am in south dade [cutler bay] 33189
and am not getting CH 10 ABC at all signal strenght is zero
I get all the other channels ok to very strong
except for CH 7 [fox] is in and out

twin beam roof top ant to a sony sat HD100 box used as a DTV tuner only
to a 32'' sony HD CRT set without a DTV tuner

also I get some channels that have no picture or known local tv station
but do have a signal
ch 8 [key west ?] ch 9 ch 40 ch97 ch98 are like that

Both WPLG ABC10 & WSVN FOX7 will be switching to a new higher & more powerful transmission tower scheduled for completion by 2nd week of July. Also I have heard to expect a weaker digital signal starting on the June 12th cut off date for analog broadcasts until the move upgrade is completed in July. Sit tight, better days ahead!
post #6318 of 6828
Channels 7 & 10 are both on reduced power in their digital transmissions. They will both be at full power in July when the new tower is operational. Hopefully, we will not have signal problems after that.

I'm currently getting a good signal from both channels with my rooftop antenna and NO signal at all from either channel with an indoor antenna.

Last night's nasty weather caused interference on many of the digital channels. I completely lost the signal on 10.1 OTA, however, cable had the channels coming in fine. Is cable getting the channels from another source?
post #6319 of 6828
so 10 and 7 are on the same tower?
I turned my ant more to the east and finally got 10.1 to come in
but 7.1 is still in and out
all the other major channels are good

any idea what channel 40 96 97 and 98 are
I get a signal but no pic or sound

and is 9.1 channel 10 or 44 ????
post #6320 of 6828
tvfool.com has the answers to your questions. Real channel 9 is virtual channel 10.1. Real channel 44 is virtual channel 9.1, although for a time tuning into 44.1 brought you channel 9.1. Real channel 40 is virtual channel 63.1, a boring independent station. Your channels 96, 97, and 98 are all out of the UHF range and so I don't know what they are.


_Lazza
post #6321 of 6828
sat dish and rain???
we are now in the rainy season
my current SD dishtv blanks out far too often in rain
they are offering a ''free'' up grade to HD
but is the bigger HD dish any better in the rain

or is the directTV HD the better pick in rain reception

over the air thru an old sony sat recever with OTA HD tuner [satHD-100]
is flakie in rain too but will that old teck sat tuner even work on todays
sat code? [to save one box rential fee every month]
post #6322 of 6828
I had DirecTV for a number of years and it certainly would fail during a thunderstorm but, upon reflection, it only was bad (ie, outage lasting more than 5 minutes) perhaps 10-12 times a year. Only rarely did it come at a very inopportune time.

Surprisingly, I have not had an issue with weather and receiving OTA transmissions. Of course there would be some picture breakups but this would be only momentary. But also for some reason when there is a lot of cloud cover I can briefly pick up remote broadcasts. Last night I tuned into WZVN (ABC affiliate) from Naples, ... over 100 miles away! Kind of weird considering I sometimes have difficulty in bringing in channel 10.1 from nearby Miami.


_Lazza
post #6323 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazza View Post

Only rarely did it come at a very inopportune time.


_Lazza

I had my Directv installed last March and so far had service interruption twice: In the middle of last episode of 24 and during the last lap of Formula 1 Grand Prix of Monaco. Great timing!!
post #6324 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalPlayer View Post

Both WPLG ABC10 & WSVN FOX7 will be switching to a new higher & more powerful transmission tower scheduled for completion by 2nd week of July.

So, will 10 and 7 also be moving to UHF as of June 12? As of the 2d week of July? Never?

Right now with an outdoor antenna I can't get 7 or 10, but I think it's a UHF-only antenna. If 10 and 7 will be moving to UHF soon, I won't bother with VHF ...

Or, is there any reason to want VHF access after June 12 (July?) in Miami? (Assuming that all I want are the networks.)

TIA ...
post #6325 of 6828
Thing to remember with sat is get the dish aimed RIGHT. Don't let a lazy tech get away with good enough. Signals in the 90's and up will help minimize rain-fade. And, having an antenna backup for those other occasions helps.
post #6326 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami View Post

So, will 10 and 7 also be moving to UHF as of June 12? As of the 2d week of July? Never?

Right now with an outdoor antenna I can't get 7 or 10, but I think it's a UHF-only antenna. If 10 and 7 will be moving to UHF soon, I won't bother with VHF ...

Or, is there any reason to want VHF access after June 12 (July?) in Miami? (Assuming that all I want are the networks.)

TIA ...

WSVN (7) and WPLG (10) will remain on their VHF channels after the transition.
You should get a combo antenna (VHF-Hi and UHF). WPTV (5) and WPEC (12) in West Palm Beach will also be on VHF after the transition.

Walt
post #6327 of 6828
Replacing your UHF antenna with a combo UHF-VHF antenna would be best but if that poses a problem you might just get an additional VHF antenna and combine the signals coming from the two. Actually, I am surprised an outdoor UHF antenna does not pick up a close range VHF-hi signals. My Philips MANT940 is advertised as a UHF antenna but it picks up channels 7 and 10 (and 5 from WPB) just fine. It's a dinky little antenna, available for $38 at Walmart (cheaper online), and dead easy to install either indoors or out. It's perfectly suited for an outside patio of a condo/townhouse.


_Lazza
post #6328 of 6828
After the analog shutdown, there will be two major stations broadcasting on VHF from MIA/FTL - WPLG on 10 and WSVN on 7.

WPB will have two major stations broadcasting on VHS - WPTV on real channel 12, virtual channel 5.1, and WPEC real channel 13 (no virtual channel information on tvfool.com). This is interesting, as WPEC's current branding is channel 12, but WPTV will be broadcasting on that frequency even though WPTV's branding is 5.1. I can only wonder if WPEC will abandon its branding with 12 and go to 13, which will be its real channel.
post #6329 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Strat View Post

After the analog shutdown, there will be two major stations broadcasting on VHF from MIA/FTL - WPLG on 10 and WSVN on 7.

WPB will have two major stations broadcasting on VHS - WPTV on real channel 12, virtual channel 5.1, and WPEC real channel 13 (no virtual channel information on tvfool.com). This is interesting, as WPEC's current branding is channel 12, but WPTV will be broadcasting on that frequency even though WPTV's branding is 5.1. I can only wonder if WPEC will abandon its branding with 12 and go to 13, which will be its real channel.

No. Under the FCC rules, stations who had an analog channel assignment will keep that channel number as their virtual channel number regardless of their real broadcast channel.

This keeps the AARP generation from having to learn something new. If they did have to do so, they'd kick out their congressmen......
post #6330 of 6828
Will this work for WPBT?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, FL - HDTV