or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, FL - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, FL - HDTV - Page 227

post #6781 of 6828
OK, when I got home tonight, I moved the antenna up to the attic and, voila, I'm now receiving both UHF and VHF channels! Including Fox and NBC from West Palm, which kind of surprised me because my antenna is, supposedly, directional and it's pointed South, not North.
However, I have a new, noob antenna user issue. I plugged the antenna into a splitter for whole house use, but the only TV that is working is my main HDTV. All of my other TVs are SD and apparently can't handle the signal. My assumption is that I need a digital to analog box for each TV, is that correct? If so, any recommendations?
post #6782 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe1975 View Post

OK, when I got home tonight, I moved the antenna up to the attic and, voila, I'm now receiving both UHF and VHF channels! Including Fox and NBC from West Palm, which kind of surprised me because my antenna is, supposedly, directional and it's pointed South, not North.
However, I have a new, noob antenna user issue. I plugged the antenna into a splitter for whole house use, but the only TV that is working is my main HDTV. All of my other TVs are SD and apparently can't handle the signal. My assumption is that I need a digital to analog box for each TV, is that correct? If so, any recommendations?

Good to hear you can get all those. Before I moved down here we only used OTA since we would have some nice storms in Memphis. The house we are renting isn't setup so I can have 2 lines running to the different rooms. I'm hoping the house we buy next year will give me some lee-way so I can use OTA a lot more, and reliably.

If the tv's are older and/or don't support digital signals, which it sounds like they don't, you need to get DTV converters for them.
post #6783 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Good to hear you can get all those. Before I moved down here we only used OTA since we would have some nice storms in Memphis. The house we are renting isn't setup so I can have 2 lines running to the different rooms. I'm hoping the house we buy next year will give me some lee-way so I can use OTA a lot more, and reliably.

If the tv's are older and/or don't support digital signals, which it sounds like they don't, you need to get DTV converters for them.

Good luck finding DTV converters now. I haven't seen any on sale since right after the digital transition. It's time to get rid of those cumbersome old bulky TVs and buy flat panel sets. They're cheap enough now.
post #6784 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post

Good luck finding DTV converters now. I haven't seen any on sale since right after the digital transition. It's time to get rid of those cumbersome old bulky TVs and buy flat panel sets. They're cheap enough now.

No point in throwing away perfectly good sets that still work with a converter box.

They can still be found on sale, but they are harder to find. I've most recently seen them in both Wal-Mart (crap) and Radio Shack (decent) though that was two months ago or so. They can also be found at yard sales and thrift stores as people replace their old TVs with new ones.

- Trip
post #6785 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post


No point in throwing away perfectly good sets that still work with a converter box.
A
- Trip

If money is a problem, then I would agree. Otherwise that philosophy is very old school. I wanted an HDTV so I just bought one. I didn't care that my old analog cathode ray tube still worked. I put it out on my sidewalk and somebody took it. Today's flat panel TVs are SO much more enjoyable to watch.
post #6786 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post

If money is a problem, then I would agree. Otherwise that philosophy is very old school. I wanted an HDTV so I just bought one. I didn't care that my old analog cathode ray tube still worked. I put it out on my sidewalk and somebody took it. Today's flat panel TVs are SO much more enjoyable to watch.

At the risk of getting too far off subject, there's nothing "old school" about not spending money until you need to. Every TV set in my house is a CRT. Just picked one up last summer on Craigslist for free with a digital tuner in it to replace an RCA TV from the 70s!

Having compared watching video on my CRT monitor and my parents' LCD monitor, I find my CRT to be superior (albeit not widescreen). I figure it's a matter of personal preference.

- Trip
post #6787 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

No point in throwing away perfectly good sets that still work with a converter box.

They can still be found on sale, but they are harder to find. I've most recently seen them in both Wal-Mart (crap) and Radio Shack (decent) though that was two months ago or so. They can also be found at yard sales and thrift stores as people replace their old TVs with new ones.

- Trip

Picked up an RCA converter box at Walmart for $50. Works fine. Found some online for $30~, but didn't want to wait for shipping. Kind of surprised at the price at Walmart because they don't give a price on their website.

As much as I would like to dump my old CRTs, I would rather spend $50 on a box, than $300+ for a new TV. I cut my cable to SAVE money.
post #6788 of 6828
Anyone know of an inside HDTV antenna to pick up OTA channels? I have a TERK but it does not pick up more than 6 stations. I know I should be able to get more than that.

I am in Coral Springs and use Dish Network with OTA module installed in a 722K DuoDVR.

THANKS
post #6789 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Anyone know of an inside HDTV antenna to pick up OTA channels? I have a TERK but it does not pick up more than 6 stations. I know I should be able to get more than that.

I am in Coral Springs and use Dish Network with OTA module installed in a 722K DuoDVR.

THANKS

I use an amplified TERK with a directional UHF antenna and the rabbit ears extended all the way but short two sections. Channels 5, 7, 10, & 12 are all on VHF and the rabbit ears should be two sections short of being fully extended. A full extend of the dipoles will result in weak or no signal on those channels. All other channels are on UHF and the directional antenna should point in the direction of their transmitters.
post #6790 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post

I use an amplified TERK with a directional UHF antenna and the rabbit ears extended all the way but short two sections. Channels 5, 7, 10, & 12 are all on VHF and the rabbit ears should be two sections short of being fully extended. A full extend of the dipoles will result in weak or no signal on those channels. All other channels are on UHF and the directional antenna should point in the direction of their transmitters.

THANKS! I will try that.
post #6791 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend

THANKS! I will try that.
Let me know how it works for you.
post #6792 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend

THANKS! I will try that.
When adjusting the antenna, adjust for the UHF channels first, then adjust the rabbit ears for the VHF without moving the position of the UHF part of the antenna. Let me know how you make out.
post #6793 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post

When adjusting the antenna, adjust for the UHF channels first, then adjust the rabbit ears for the VHF without moving the position of the UHF part of the antenna. Let me know how you make out.

jstrazz: installed the OTA module and the antenna - now have 35 additional channels!

Thanks for your help!
post #6794 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post


jstrazz: installed the OTA module and the antenna - now have 35 additional channels!

Thanks for your help!

You are very welcome. Glad I could help. ?
post #6795 of 6828
I'm a complete noob to this, so please bare with me. I have a new Sony Led with free standard cable in my building. I plugged the cable in and scanned for digital channels and am able to pick up 21, all of the networks in crytsal clear HD. Someone told me that the cable signal was compressed and it would look better if I hook up an air antenna instead. To me it looks crystal clear, can it really get better?
post #6796 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker305 View Post

I'm a complete noob to this, so please bare with me. I have a new Sony Led with free standard cable in my building. I plugged the cable in and scanned for digital channels and am able to pick up 21, all of the networks in crytsal clear HD. Someone told me that the cable signal was compressed and it would look better if I hook up an air antenna instead. To me it looks crystal clear, can it really get better?

I haven't had cable down here so I can't comment on if they compress it, which they probably do, but the person that told you that is correct. You will always get the best local HD PQ available to you via OTA (over the air antenna). As long as you can get a consistent signal with no dropouts you should be good. If you get a higher signal on say 6 compared to 4 it doesn't mean you are getting better PQ. A 50% signal will look the exact same as a 90% signal.
post #6797 of 6828
On a whim I decided to give Comcast another look to see if they service me in Coral Springs. I called today, and was told my address is serviceable now. They couldn't find my address in form the install team so they gave me another # to call. I ended up calling the Coral Springs Comcast number and they told me yes my address was serviceable.

I am going to call the install group other number tomorrow and will report if I get another rejection. Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up.
post #6798 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker305 View Post

I'm a complete noob to this, so please bare with me. I have a new Sony Led with free standard cable in my building. I plugged the cable in and scanned for digital channels and am able to pick up 21, all of the networks in crytsal clear HD. Someone told me that the cable signal was compressed and it would look better if I hook up an air antenna instead. To me it looks crystal clear, can it really get better?

You may or may not be able to tell the difference, but an antenna will deliver a completely uncompressed signal as opposed to cable. I have both cable (with a cable box) and antenna (attached to my TiVo box) and I see no difference.
post #6799 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

On a whim I decided to give Comcast another look to see if they service me in Coral Springs. I called today, and was told my address is serviceable now. They couldn't find my address in form the install team so they gave me another # to call. I ended up calling the Coral Springs Comcast number and they told me yes my address was serviceable.

I am going to call the install group other number tomorrow and will report if I get another rejection. Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up.

After speaking with multiple levels it looks like Coral Springs is still Advanced territory. ugh.
post #6800 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

After speaking with multiple levels it looks like Coral Springs is still Advanced territory. ugh.

double ugh. I dropped them like a stone over a year ago and don't miss them.
is there any info on channel 9, RETRO TV in particular? I get all the OTA available but I can't even get a hint of that one. weren't they supposed to be increasing their signal strength?
post #6801 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayt View Post

is there any info on channel 9, RETRO TV in particular? I get all the OTA available but I can't even get a hint of that one. weren't they supposed to be increasing their signal strength?

Not sure if they've increased their strength, but I believe they are broadcasting WeatherNation.
post #6802 of 6828
Great time for WSVN to go dark on D*. Bastards
post #6803 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Great time for WSVN to go dark on D*. Bastards

That's the kind of stuff that happens when greed steps in!

Comcast and OTA are both OK!
post #6804 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCat View Post

That's the kind of stuff that happens when greed steps in!

Comcast and OTA are both OK!

I can't get Comcast here and not getting any OTA for them at my house. blah.

I moved my antenna so I could pick up Fox out of WPB more reliably.
post #6805 of 6828
From Multichannel News
Quote:


Sunbeam's Miami Station To Let DirecTV Carry NFC Title Game Amid Retrans Fight

Satellite TV Subs Will Be Able to Watch WSVN's Jan. 22 Primetime Lineup

By Todd Spangler

Sunbeam Television said it will allow DirecTV to broadcast the NFL's NFC title matchup between the New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers this Sunday, even as the two parties remain deadlocked over retransmission-consent fees.


Sunbeam pulled Miami's WSVN, the local Fox affiliate, along with Boston's WHDH (NBC) and WLVI (CW) stations from DirecTV at midnight on Friday, Jan. 13. DirecTV says the station owner is asking for a 300% hike in fees, while Sunbeam has said it is seeking only what other pay-TV providers pay.

"WSVN-TV is still negotiating with DirecTV, but we care about our viewers, and we want them to be able to watch this game, which will determine who goes to the Super Bowl," Robert Leider, executive vice president and general manager of WSVN-TV, said in a statement.

DirecTV's Miami subs -- which include bar owners -- will be able tune in to Fox's coverage of the NFC championship game starting with the pregame show at 6 p.m. Eastern on Jan. 22. WSVN also will provide the post-game show, American Idol and a late edition of Miami's 7 News that night.

"We're pleased that Sunbeam is doing the right thing for our customers and NFL fans in Miami," DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer said. "We look forward to getting a deal done quickly and on reasonable terms."

Meanwhile, DirecTV's Boston-area DirecTV subs could be facing a blackout of NBC's Super Bowl XLVI telecast on Feb. 5, in which the Patriots could be playing for their fourth championship title, if the dispute is not resolved by then.

According to Leider, DirecTV's claim that Sunbeam is asking for a 300% increase is "totally misleading."

"A few years ago DirecTV was paying us nothing. Now we are asking for only a few cents a day," he said. "Fox receives half of that, and we need to keep them satisfied to maintain our affiliate relationship. Meanwhile cable channels with far less viewers receive far more compensation from DirecTV."

Leider added, "DirecTV is a multibillion-dollar company that takes advantage of a small company like ours. DirecTV is offering us far less than what they are paying other TV stations."
post #6806 of 6828
WSVN is back on Directv. They reached an agreement today.
post #6807 of 6828
From Deadline.com

Quote:


DirecTV And Sunbeam Settle Boston And Miami TV Carriage Disputes

By David Lieberman

DirecTV customers in the Boston area don’t have to worry about being unable to see their hometown team, the New England Patriots, play in the Super Bowl against the New York Giants. The program carriage dispute, which began on January 14 when Sunbeam took its stations off of DirecTV, ended the way most do: A lot of noise before reason prevails. DirecTV had said that Sunbeam wanted a 300% price increase, which the satellite company wouldn’t pay. But the companies aren’t disclosing financial terms.

Here’s DirecTV’s release:

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jan. 26, 2012 – DIRECTV released the following statement today:

“We are pleased to have reached an agreement to end the Sunbeam blackout, and regret that any of our customers were forced into the middle of a business dispute where they should never have been in the first place. We believe, like many, the public interest is best served by allowing customers to keep their local broadcast stations as we negotiate future agreements, rather than being denied access by broadcast stations and used as leverage in what should be a private business matter.”

The Sunbeam-owned stations – WHDH and WLVI in Boston and WSVN in Miami – are now available for DIRECTV customers in those cities.
post #6808 of 6828
I live in Miami. I have a 73" DLP television. Direct TV is having MAJOR issue in my building so I thought I would go out and get a digital antenna for my HD tv. It gets quite a few channels but it doesnt get wsvn or wplg, both miami stations. Any one have any ideas? I can get palm beach stations but no stations 10 miles from me. I am using a RCA Ant1450BR which has an Amplifier.

Anyone have any ideas? I dont want to spend $100 bucks on a terk.
post #6809 of 6828
Hi MiamiJoe

I live 44 miles away (Wellington) from Miami's Antenna farm. I use the AntennaCraft HDX1000. It's small and picks up all the Miami stations including 10 and 7. Channel 7 and 10 comes in at 90 up here. You could pick it up at Radio Shack Cat# 15-287
post #6810 of 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

WSVN is back on Directv. They reached an agreement today.

This was brutal not being able to watch the giants playoff games.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, FL - HDTV