Originally Posted by toddcurry
Guys, I live in Libertyville and can't get WBBM for ____.
Where can I get a pre-amp and/or FM trap locally? I'll drive an hour to get a Winegard AP 8275 or other, recommended model.
My antenna is a big 8200p Winegard.
Well, as I type this, a certain electronics store in Mt. Prospect is now closed as of noon Saturday. First, let's try to identify your problem. Can you get an analog picture somehow, someway? If so:
1. How does channel 2 look? How do the other channels look? If there's snow, that can be over come with a preamplifier. If there's interference, we have to take care of that. Any dimmer switches causing problems? Irons? Tool chargers? Turn those off and see if that fixes it. Then see if you can get WBBM. A friend of mine who has the 8200p outside couldn't lock WBBM with new RG-6 cable a few weeks ago. A dimmer switch for his cabinets was the culprit. He turned them off and bingo...WBBM rock-solid. My friend out in Elburn can't get it when he plugs in his tool charger. He makes sure it's not plugged in when he is recording something.
2. Regardless, try adjusting the antenna to point directly at the Hancock.
If it isn't pointed at it just about straight on, you won't lock it, preamp, amp or not. And even if you are, sometimes by pointing it a bit north or south of the Hancock will help. Have someone watch the TV when you do this, or crank the volume on 3-1 to see if it comes in if you are by yourself.
3. I'll assume you are using RG-6 cable. If not, head to your favorite do-it-yourself store and swap it out.
4. Do NOT get it outside right now. We have wind gusts to 40 MPH, and at least where I am, the power is going on and off (yikes! Hope it holds...). Just make sure it is in the attic or as high as it can go, away from metal objects in the attic (as much as possible, anyway), pointed directly at the Hancock.
5. Then if all of that fails, get a preamp. See if Fry's (call ahead) has a Winegard AP-8200 or AP-8275. If not, see if they have a ChannelMaster preamp. The ChannelMaster 7777 might be too strong.
Hey Fatawan, that's right! And the VU-190 from Radio Shack is less good at picking up WBBM, believe it or not, than the Winegard 8200p.