or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › OFFICIAL Sony HS50(51) thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL Sony HS50(51) thread - Page 182

post #5431 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrx View Post

Guys, has anyone had his bulb lamp exploded in HS51? It just happened to me last night... It made this pop sound and now bulb seems to be broken inside and has little pieces of glass.

I only had 600 hours on this bulb and less than a year. Does anyone know if SONY will replace this biulb for free?

Should I be concerned that there is possible something wrong with my projector? Or this is normal for lamp do explode like this? As far as I know my fans were working...


Please go back a few pages and follow my threads about my experience with Sony service. My pj currently sits in Texas awaiting management approval to replace the bulb (I have no idea whether or not that approval will actually come though).
post #5432 of 5686
Does anyone have an up to date phone number for the repair center in Laredo? I just wanted to call to:

1. Verify they received my projector.
2. Ensure they understand the problem.
3. Get an estimated date of return.

I found this number in the thread:

(956) 728-2160

But I get no answer there whenever I call.

Any help?
post #5433 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

This does happen on occasion however it is not normal. Contact Sony support and they will replace the lamp ( for free more than likely ). They may require you to send the unit in to ensure that there were no ill effects.

Good luck.


Regards,

My bulb capitulated in a similar fashion -622 hours, but Sony were not forth coming.
I was advised that 550 hours was the cut off for a free bulb replacement.
post #5434 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpasser View Post

My bulb capitulated in a similar fashion -622 hours, but Sony were not forth coming.
I was advised that 550 hours was the cut off for a free bulb replacement.

That would be fair if the advertised expected life was 1244 hours.
post #5435 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

Does anyone have an up to date phone number for the repair center in Laredo?

Try 866-357-6230.
post #5436 of 5686
Further update re: my popped bulb @ 800 hours:


My pj was sent to the Sony Repair Center on May 19. They received it on May 30. On May 31, they advised me that it needed a new bulb at a cost of $349. I argued with them for 2 days at which time they offered it to me at half price. I argued some more and have now been given a new bulb. The pj was shipped back to me on June 9. I will have it back tomorrow. Acccording to the people I spoke with, Sony updated the firmware (I have no idea to which version) on the board, changed some voltage settings, replaced the fan with a more powerful one, and replaced the bulb. I suspect my pj will now be nosier. I am hopeful no other issues will present themselves. Sony Rapir Center seemed to think this popped bulb was an isolated case. Reading this forum, it seems to be common place to have the first bulb go at or before 800 hours. I'll report back in another week or so on the status of my rebuilt pj. I have this feeling it'll be hitting Ebay at that time.
post #5437 of 5686
My HS51A lost its lamp after 41 hours. I heard a loud popping noise and found out lamp was gone (lamp dust and small pieces of bulb were in the lamp compartment). I also noticed the tapping noice. Called Sony and they asked me to send it to Laredo service center. They told I have to pay for shipping and expceted wait time would be about 14 days. I have asked if they could send me a new lamp or least pay for the shipping. Sony asked to get back with me by tomorrow.
I will keep you posted.
post #5438 of 5686
I almost don't believe this, but after months of my projector needing adjustment of its lens shift every couple of days, I may have found a solution.

A couple of days ago, when my projector's image had shifted its traditional inch or so to the right, I decided to try something.... instead of simply turning the horizontal thumb wheel to re-align the image I turned it many turns -- nearly moving the image to its extreme left-hand position. Then I reversed direction to place the image in the center of the screen where it belongs. During the return-to-center process the thumb wheel felt slightly tighter.

Several days have passed and the image has remained perfectly centered -- even after some loud-volume usage (with lots of sub woofer too).

Perhaps this was all I needed to do all along!!!

Please, others with "lens shift" issues, please try this and report back.

HS
post #5439 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNSXguy View Post

I almost don't believe this, but after months of my projector needing adjustment of its lens shift every couple of days, I may have found a solution.

A couple of days ago, when my projector's image had shifted its traditional inch or so to the right, I decided to try something.... instead of simply turning the horizontal thumb wheel to re-align the image I turned it many turns -- nearly moving the image to its extreme left-hand position. Then I reversed direction to place the image in the center of the screen where it belongs. During the return-to-center process the thumb wheel felt slightly tighter.

Several days have passed and the image has remained perfectly centered -- even after some loud-volume usage (with lots of sub woofer too).

Perhaps this was all I needed to do all along!!!

Please, others with "lens shift" issues, please try this and report back.

HS

Greetings,

HS, I have essentially the same issue however mine is vertically. Every few days the image drops about half an inch or so. Although to be honest it has not been much of a problem of late. I will give this a try when I get home later and report back.

Regards,
post #5440 of 5686
I have tried that method on my projector. It seemed to help at first but the unit quickly returned to its old behavior. I wish you the best and hope yours doesn't follow the lead of mine.
post #5441 of 5686
I am new here. Is anyone havibg problems with their hd-a1 with their hs51. All I am getting is an hdmi error.
Thank you
post #5442 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrys View Post

I am new here. Is anyone havibg problems with their hd-a1 with their hs51. All I am getting is an hdmi error.
Thank you

No problems here. Will get the error msg. if I switch sources (using an HDMI switching AVR), but as soon as I switch back to the HD-A1, pressing Play clears it.

If you have not already: 1) Re-initialize the A1, 2) Check for an intermittent connection by applying light pressure in each direction to the connector on both ends of the cable, 3) Try a different HDMI source if you have one, or a different cable.
post #5443 of 5686
I just discovered that Sony has shipped my projector back to me. I never spoke with the repair center and the representative on the customer service line had no record of what was done. It is being shipped next day air. So, I expect I will receive it before this weekend. I hope I have a chance to get it hung and start using it again. As it turns out, my repaired Xbox 360 is being shipped back as well and should probably return by Friday. What perfect timing! Man, I can't wait to get back into the theater and try my gear. Even if the lens shift still sucks, it'll be good to have my big screen back.
post #5444 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

I just discovered that Sony has shipped my projector back to me. I never spoke with the repair center and the representative on the customer service line had no record of what was done. It is being shipped next day air. So, I expect I will receive it before this weekend. I hope I have a chance to get it hung and start using it again. As it turns out, my repaired Xbox 360 is being shipped back as well and should probably return by Friday. What perfect timing! Man, I can't wait to get back into the theater and try my gear. Even if the lens shift still sucks, it'll be good to have my big screen back.


Greetings,

Reaper, that is good news. Post back with the results once you are up and running.


Regards,
post #5445 of 5686
Oooh baby, my unit is on a truck out for delivery today. Yahooo! My 360 is arriving today too.. on the same truck. Man, I worked that system out perfectly. I minimized my downtime to the utmost perfection. The only issue is that I have a rendering job this weekend and it is father's day, so I don't know if/when I will get to hang the projector back up. I'll keep you guys updated.
post #5446 of 5686
Reaper,
Just lose 2 hours of sleep to get it set up and test it, isn't that what being a father is all about, losing sleep?
post #5447 of 5686
hehe... well UPS just dropped it off. I opened it up to see that they packed it incorrectly! Damnit!

The report that came in the box says:

Projection Lens Assembly
Lamp Replacement


Constand Distorted Picture
Replaced Parts
Replaced Parts

You think I got a new lmap out of it? Does replacing the lens assembly fix the lens shift?
post #5448 of 5686
Also, I never said anything about a distorted picture. Perhaps that's how they refer to lens shift issues by shorthand? Needless to say I have mixed feelings already. I am not sure they addressed the problem, packing it incorrectly may have caused damage but I am happy about the possible lamp replacement.
post #5449 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

Also, I never said anything about a distorted picture. Perhaps that's how they refer to lens shift issues by shorthand? Needless to say I have mixed feelings already. I am not sure they addressed the problem, packing it incorrectly may have caused damage but I am happy about the possible lamp replacement.

As you're not the only owner reporting shifting images, "replacing parts" may not git 'er dun.
post #5450 of 5686
Hahahaha!!!! Who was I kidding? I already have the system up and running again! New bulb baby.
post #5451 of 5686
Lens shift is muuuuuch smoother
post #5452 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

Lens shift is muuuuuch smoother

Does it seem like it'll drift?
post #5453 of 5686
First impressions say no but that will need to be tested by time
post #5454 of 5686
The lens doesn't drop during adjustment anymore... it's a nice continuous movement. Ahhh...
post #5455 of 5686
Test 1:

I went away from the projector for a few hours and returned this evening to fire it up again. I ended up shifting the image to the right ever so slightly. I am not convinced that it wasn't off from earlier but it was a huge improvement over what I have seen in the past. We'll see if it continues tomorrow.
post #5456 of 5686
I think I read in this thread that there is a pattern built into the projector to help one focus. Is that true? If so, can you post instructions on how to access this pattern? I can't find it.
post #5457 of 5686
What a great feeling! I turned my projector on this morning to find the image still perfectly on the screen. I don't think that ever happened before. Unbelievable.
post #5458 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

I think I read in this thread that there is a pattern built into the projector to help one focus. Is that true? If so, can you post instructions on how to access this pattern? I can't find it.

not on the HS50 there isn't, the HS51 might tho.
post #5459 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

not on the HS50 there isn't, the HS51 might tho.


Greetings,

There is no pattern on the HS51. Most just bring up the on screen Menu and use that for focus. That is how I do it as well.


Reap, glad to see things are much improved.


Regards,
post #5460 of 5686
OK. Thanks for the advice. Yeah, things are going well and I'm happy not only for myself but for others that may use this same solution to fix their problems as well. So far, I couldn't be happier with the fix. The only thing they did wrong was putting the packaging in wrong. But that seemed to have no effect, luckily.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › OFFICIAL Sony HS50(51) thread