or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › OFFICIAL Sony HS50(51) thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL Sony HS50(51) thread - Page 189

post #5641 of 5686
If you try a video or s-video from the cable box to the pj, it has to be 480i and should work. Also try this with another tv or display.

It could be a bad cable box or they may have a filter on the line that only lets certain channels through. Check with the cable company on this as well. I have a filter on mine to remove the analog channels on mine since I only want to pay for digital or HD. The dvd player suggestion above is also good.
post #5642 of 5686
i see this thread is waning, but anyone tried the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD with this projector yet ? the A1 seems to breath new life into the machine, and September firmware for the XA2 for 1080p/24 makes me wonder

anyone ?
post #5643 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2003 View Post

i see this thread is waning, but anyone tried the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD with this projector yet ? the A1 seems to breath new life into the machine, and September firmware for the XA2 for 1080p/24 makes me wonder

anyone ?

hi,
i just ordered the XA2. will report back after it's up and running. currently have a PS3 hooked up and picture looks great. (XA2 will be in addition to PS3, not replacing it.)
thx.
post #5644 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoG View Post

hi,
i just ordered the XA2. will report back after it's up and running. currently have a PS3 hooked up and picture looks great. (XA2 will be in addition to PS3, not replacing it.)
thx.

What screen are you using and how is the picture with the ps3? Is it much better than standard dvd or not much difference?
post #5645 of 5686
May I just add... Any improvement in the source quality made by going from even the better DVD players, to a an HD source, is easily seen in the projectors image.

I dare say this was true not just for the HS50/51 but even a great projector like the NEC HT1000.
post #5646 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoG View Post

hi,
i just ordered the XA2. will report back after it's up and running. currently have a PS3 hooked up and picture looks great. (XA2 will be in addition to PS3, not replacing it.)
thx.

Do you know what the PS3 sends to your PJ? I am going to guess 720/60p. Can it send 1080/24PsF (aka 1080/48i), if so have you tried it? I am curious about HD at native frame rate also now that I see the HS-51 can accept a 1080/48i source.
post #5647 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye3.1 View Post

Do you know what the PS3 sends to your PJ? I am going to guess 720/60p. Can it send 1080/24PsF (aka 1080/48i), if so have you tried it? I am curious about HD at native frame rate also now that I see the HS-51 can accept a 1080/48i source.

If the PS3 has a decent scaler in it (I assume it does), why would you want to send 1080i to a projector that is limited to 720p?
post #5648 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

If the PS3 has a decent scaler in it (I assume it does), why would you want to send 1080i to a projector that is limited to 720p?

With my sources, 1080i inputs scaled by the PJ looks better to me, I never sent it in to get the 720p blanking issue corrected. But my question was pointed more towards the difference in frame rate (60 vs 48). I am curious just how much improvement can be seen when 3:2 judder is eliminated.
post #5649 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye3.1 View Post

With my sources, 1080i inputs scaled by the PJ looks better to me, I never sent it in to get the 720p blanking issue corrected. But my question was pointed more towards the difference in frame rate (60 vs 48). I am curious just how much improvement can be seen when 3:2 judder is eliminated.

I just purchased a Panasonic dmp-bd10a blu ray player and have it connected to my vpl - hs51 with a bluejeans 6 meter hdmi cable. The info screen reads 1080/60i. How can you adjust the frame rate from 60 to 48? The picture does look good but I am wondering what tricks or adjustments people have made to make it better, if possible. Thanks
post #5650 of 5686
does anybody know how to change the preset signals in the manual? for example with hdmi connection my information menu indicates memory #7. I would like to try some of the others but I don't know how to change them, or if it can be changed. Any advise would be great, Thanks
post #5651 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv43 View Post

does anybody know how to change the preset signals in the manual? for example with hdmi connection my information menu indicates memory #7. I would like to try some of the others but I don't know how to change them, or if it can be changed. Any advise would be great, Thanks

The preset number you see is the number that equals the signal you send from your device. You don't set a preset number in the projector, the projector only describes the signal it receives. If you want another signal you set it at your DVD, receiver or anything you conected to the projector.
The list in the manual is simply showing you a matching number and signals the projector can receive over an input, and the settings you can or cant make at the projector for that signal/input.
post #5652 of 5686
I just put up a description and pic of a problem I'm having with my HS51. Wasn't sure if I should add to this or start separate. For those subscribed to this main HS51 thread check it out here .
post #5653 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by _XipHiaS_ View Post

The preset number you see is the number that equals the signal you send from your device. You don't set a preset number in the projector, the projector only describes the signal it receives. If you want another signal you set it at your DVD, receiver or anything you conected to the projector.
The list in the manual is simply showing you a matching number and signals the projector can receive over an input, and the settings you can or cant make at the projector for that signal/input.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. Thanks again.
post #5654 of 5686
This summer, my HS50 has started showing blue blotches at the top of the screen. Not visible on an all-black or all-white image, only mid-range tones. It isn't there at start up, but slowly creeps in after a few minutes, so I suspect it is heat-related.

I have only run the PJ up to about 4000hrs, but some that was on weekend marathons of 12hrs, so I suspect this is panel damage.

I have looked through the factory menus, but there doesn't seem to be anything to adjust for fan speed (apart from the high-altitude, which I always turn on in summer). Anyone have ideas for adjustments to minimise this?
post #5655 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpearson View Post

This summer, my HS50 has started showing blue blotches at the top of the screen. Not visible on an all-black or all-white image, only mid-range tones. It isn't there at start up, but slowly creeps in after a few minutes, so I suspect it is heat-related.

I have only run the PJ up to about 4000hrs, but some that was on weekend marathons of 12hrs, so I suspect this is panel damage.

I have looked through the factory menus, but there doesn't seem to be anything to adjust for fan speed (apart from the high-altitude, which I always turn on in summer). Anyone have ideas for adjustments to minimise this?

Welcome to the blue smear club. Once it started for me (around 3000 hours) it just got worse and worse. 1 person was reported to have gotten it fixed out of warranty, others were quoted $2K to get it fixed (see link a couple of posts above). I just got an AW15 to replace it. Its not known whether newer models also suffer from this disease. Hopefully yours is still under warranty?
post #5656 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninTech View Post

Welcome to the blue smear club.

Blue-Smear? I wanted to join the Blu-Ray club

Quote:


Hopefully yours is still under warranty?

Ha. No such luck. It was a factory-refurb when I first got it, and I didn't pay any extra to extend the warranty. But the original globe was still working at 3620 hours, so I don't feel too bad.

I took off the plastic cover at the back to increase airflow, and also found that the globe and panel run a few degrees cooler (i.e. less blue smear) in high lamp mode, so I will keep it in that mode for now.

Now that I know it is a common fault, I probably won't be able to sell it on eBay, so I might have to use it until something dies.
post #5657 of 5686
Hey everyone!

New to this forum, just bought a HS-51 I am very happy with it! But i found i wanted to do some calibration for playing to my xbox 360 and watching hd movies...

I find this a very very long thread, can someone give me their settings on their projector for watching hd movies or playing games?

What can you change in service mode? And how do you enter?

Thanks everyone!!
post #5658 of 5686
I would be interested in hearing the answer to alopez1986's post too.
post #5659 of 5686
Check out this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=485063

It has a great deal of calibration info worth look thru, including some service menu tweaks which take the 50/51 to the next level.

DO IT. Read thru, take notes or copy paste to create a master calibration guideline for your own setup.

Having a Xbox 360 myself, it requires some additional tweaks compared to calibration for other SD/HD sources.
post #5660 of 5686
hi bytehoven!!

Thanks for your response!

I already read that post, but they talk a lot technically, and i foind the latest config they setup was this one:

CONTRAST: 80
BRIGHTNES: 65
Iris off and Lamp on High

Initial Settings

Open Reg 41-->40
Close Reg 200-->202
No change here.

Low Color Temp Factory/// Middle Color Temp Factory
Red G - 128/// Red G - 128
Green G - 32/// Green G - 37
Blue G - 39/// Blue G - 59
Red B - 118/// Red B - 118
Green B - 128/// Green B - 128
Blue B - 123/// Blue B - 124

As you can see, these settings are very close in the biases but differ in the gains.

Calibrated Settings (Iris Off/Lamp High HDMI)

Red Gain-128
Green Gain-46
Blue Gain-49

Red Bias-86
Green Bias-128
Blue Bias-123

Resulting Color Temp 6513 DE:2
Lumens 381
Gamma 2.51
CR 379:1

For those of you that would want to use the User Menu, just use Custom 3 and these settings:

Red Gain- 0
Green Gain- +6
Blue Gain- -4

Red Bias- -28
Green Bias- 0
Blue Bias- +13

Iris Adj = 0
Open Reg = 41
Close Reg = 200

FOR COMPONENTS:
Calibrated Settings (Component 480i)

Red Gain-128
Green Gain-40
Blue Gain-38

Red Bias-75
Green Bias-128
Blue Bias-124

Resulting Color Temp 6543 DE:1
Lumens 326
Gamma 2.53
CR 2757:1

I willl try this tonight and tell you my opinions

Thanks!
post #5661 of 5686
Hi...I have a question...

I was watching the latest Harry Potter ( Order Of Phoenix) on my Projector. Most of the picture is excellent but in the begining and sometimes in the middle i get to see a lot of grains ..particularly on the faces...! Should i do something with the settings to adjust that...or is it just the movie. I have also been seeing that the dark scenes (very dark ones) show more grains...! I am sorry if i sound any absolute novice in all this..

Thank you for your comments

BTW...This is with normal DVD.
post #5662 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alind Saxena View Post

Hi...I have a question...

I was watching the latest Harry Potter ( Order Of Phoenix) on my Projector. Most of the picture is excellent but in the begining and sometimes in the middle i get to see a lot of grains ..particularly on the faces...! Should i do something with the settings to adjust that...or is it just the movie. I have also been seeing that the dark scenes (very dark ones) show more grains...! I am sorry if i sound any absolute novice in all this..

Thank you for your comments

BTW...This is with normal DVD.

1) What is your sharpness setting? I have found setting the Sony sharpness to OFF may look soft, but it is indeed a setting which provided ZERO sharpness enhancement rather than a softening from a normal sharpness. Another words, the middle sharpness position on the Sony is adding sharpness enhancement.

2) What is you brightness setting? Try lowering until the artifact goes away and then judge the rest of the program.

3) Do you have any gamma or black level boosting? If yes, try lowering them or turning them off.

I assume you are seeing DVD artifacts that could well be an issue with your DVD player. You might say what player you are using.

Good luck
post #5663 of 5686
Anyone seen this problem with their HS51?

It happens with any connection type. Is easiest to see with a white background. I tried a different bulb but that did nothing.

I called Sony and they had no idea. Gave me the number for the local service center.

Projector is just out of warranty (it seems every sony product I have dies as soon as the warranty ends) !!

Thanks for any pointers...
LL
post #5664 of 5686
You bet Eric, except yours is a different color than mine (yellow) which suggests it might be a different panel/polarizer.
post #5665 of 5686
Sorry to change the topic but does anybody know where I can get a copy of the Image Director 2 software?
post #5666 of 5686
not sure anyone still read this thread (at least not archived yet)

my Sony HS60 appears to be very dark after only 170 hours after I got it for 2 years. When I bought it, it was the best uniform and white balance panel out of 3 samples that I checked. Now Hong Kong could be a dusty place but some believed this projector is sealed light path, any suggestions as to what maybe wrong ?

I am usually running in Cinema Mode and over DVI to VGA converter. Are there other interface that maybe brighter in your experience ? These days I only use the projector to play Wii Tennis and its gotten so bad that I usually cannot follow the tennis ball projecting at 90 inches on a Stewart Studioteck 130 at the closest throw distance... which I can do perfectly when I use my 36" CRT !

I will throw it out if you tell me to change the bulb !
post #5667 of 5686
Mine is also about 2 years old with 480 hours on bulb #1. So far it has no reduction in brightness. I have never used the VGA input, just HDMI and Component. How do those inputs look? Perhaps the problem is in the VGA port and not the bulb. I would do some trouble shooting then call sony for repair.
post #5668 of 5686
Mine is 3,5 years old with 1000 hours on bulb #1. Used HDMI for the first months and the VGA. No brightness reduction so far either. I'm still enjoying this great projector.
post #5669 of 5686
My HS51 has almost 300 hours and no noticable dimming of the image. I pulled the filter after 250 hours and it looked pretty clean although I replaced it anyway.
post #5670 of 5686
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2003 View Post

Cinema Mode and over DVI to VGA converter.

Cinema mode is the darkest of the three defaults, but a sudden dimming is unusual.

1) When the PJ is warmed up, try the menus. Are their white on grey text a lot brighter than the Wii images? If so, I would suspect the converter, or its power supply.

2) Any reason why you are not using a DVI to HDMI cable?


Quote:


I will throw it out if you tell me to change the bulb !

It may be the bulb, or the projector's HV PSU. If you do throw it out, I will take it off your hands. My HS-50's blue panel damage is starting to annoy me, and your PJ might be an upgrade :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › OFFICIAL Sony HS50(51) thread