I came in at 3 AM Monday morning to upgrade software in my HD encoders. I've done this before with no problems and usually no one knows, but this time it didn't work.
The main encoder also contains the remux card that combines WFMJ-HD, WBCB, and PSIP. Something happened during the upgrade that caused the encoder to not recognize the remux card. Even reverting back to the original software didn't work. It takes about 50 minutes of rebooting to get everything loaded so it's a real PITA. Anyway, I chose to force WBCB into the transmitter and give up NBC HD because it's a simulcast and there was nothing on in HD until Leno. Everything is back up for now on loaner external equipment. I've been spending a lot of money here trying to get some redundancy for the single points of failure. Just haven't made it to this particular piece of equipment yet.
In addition to adding the DD5.1 sound, I've ordered a backup exciter, and my program guide is now a subscription service (TitanTV) that should keep it a little more up to date than the manual entry mode. I just finished going through my HD rack and cleaned up a bunch of clicks and pops in the audio from the surround install. Hopefully by the time February 2009 (
) rolls around I'll be as redundant as the analog side.
Adult beverage time...