or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Evansville, IN - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Evansville, IN - HDTV - Page 3

post #61 of 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP in KY View Post

Audio channels on WEVV-DT are out of phase. I have sent an email to their website to let them know.

They are way off. Hope they get it fixed soon.

Quote:


I think my set is trying to pull in some more stations, but I guess the signals just aren't strong enough. I can't complain, though, since I'm getting what I've gotten so far with an indoor antenna and no amplification of the signal


JN sounds like your doing very well. I can't get WEHT with an outdoor antenna except very late at night.
post #62 of 750
Is your antenna amplified? That might help ... I'm lucky, I guess. I'm on the SW side of Owensboro, and we don't have a lot of trees around, so that could have something to do with the reception I get.

Somewhat surprisingly, WTVW managed to pop up briefly around midnight last night. I'm still getting a tiny bit of a signal as I type this, but not enough to generate picture or sound.

In other news, while the TV was pulling in WTVW late last night (can anyone tell I'm a night owl??? ), I managed to find WUSI (16-1 through 16-4), which is Southern Illinois University's PBS station. That one came in pretty well, and they broadcast 24/7, so I actually found something interesting to watch while everyone else was either off-air or showing infomercials.
post #63 of 750
I was told today by the Engineering dept. that the WEVV digital station is now on 44.1. While I'm getting that signal very strong, it doesn't appear to me to be HD. Anyone else have this?

Also, Fox responded today, "Hello, We a currently broadcasting a digital signal, but depending on your locating you may have trouble picking it up. After the first of the year we will begin building our high power HD plant. Right now its very low power." I'm only 6 miles from their tower, though, according to antennaweb. Wouldn't that be close enough to pick it up? (I've responded the the e-mail asking this and will share the response.)
post #64 of 750
You should be able to pick up WTVW-DT if you're only six miles from their tower. You may need to do a channel scan. Remember, their DT signal is actually on Channel 28 (DT28-1). When the weather is right, I occasionally get them here in Morganfield. And, yes, WEVV-DT is currently sending a standard-definition signal only. Read through the posts above for more discussion.
post #65 of 750
I can get WTVW here in Owensboro between the hours of, oh, about 8:00 PM and 3:00 AM. It's not a strong signal, as you're aware. As RMP suggested, do a channel scan. Make sure your antenna is pointed exactly -- and I do mean EXACTLY -- in the direction of their tower, because that's the only way you'll get it, at least in my experience.

I actually get a better signal from WUSI-DT (Ch. 16-1 through 16-4) at night, and their tower is in Olney, IL, but my understanding is that they're at full power.

Won't it be nice when everyone else follows suit???

Oh, almost forgot: My in-laws are giving me (!) an outdoor antenna they don't use (it's been in the attic since before they moved into their house). All I have to get is a mast, rotor, and the other little miscellaneous stuff to go along with it. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get these things and some tips on installing?

FYI on this: I have no overhead power lines to worry about (thankfully), and no chimney, but I do have two vent pipes that I could mount to, or I could put up a tripod-type mount at the peak of the roof. The house is a single-story brick ranch, like everything else in this neighborhood.
post #66 of 750
I wouldn't want to try mounting an antenna to a vent pipe. You probably need the tripod. I believe Home Depot carries some Channel Master rotators, Radio Shack has a similar model as well as the tripod and other hardware. There is a world of good info in the "hardware" section of this forum if you care to read through it.
post #67 of 750
Sorry, make that Lowe's instead of Home Depot.
post #68 of 750
I'll take a look at Lowe's and see what I can find. I've got to make a trip over there this weekend anyway, so I might as well kill two birds with one stone if I can.

I did some looking around outside the house (and in the attic) since the weather has cooled off. Looks like at some point in the life of the place, there have been antennas mounted at both ends of the house, and I can't even begin to tell you how many cables I see run through the attic. It's a mess. I think the best I can do with that is scrap all of what I don't need and I can go from there.

As far as where I'm gonna raise the mast, I think the southwest end of my house will get me the best reception, so that's the plan for "where" at this point. "How" and "when" have yet to be answered. "Carefully" and "soon", I hope!!!

Before I forget, is anyone having reception troubles since it got all nice and cloudy outside???
post #69 of 750
You didn't mention what kind of antenna you "inherited", but chances are it's an "all-channel" type, with lots of long aluminum rods. Nothing wrong with that, but if you would like a little less metal on your roof, you might think about using a separate UHF only model, for channels 14 and up, combined with a high-band VHF model, for channels 7, 9 and 12 (WNIN-DT). There are no low band (channels 2 thru 6) stations in this area, so a lot of the elements in an all-channel antenna are superfluous. Another benefit of this is that the antennas can be aimed separately, possibly eliminating the need for a rotor. The big problem I had with my installation was finding the separate band antennas. Radio Shack sells several UHF-only models, but no VHF-hi, so I went over to LACO Electronics in Mt Vernon, Illinois, and bought mine. As far as I know, there are no retail dealers for this sort of thing in the Evansville area. But there are several well-regarded internet vendors who sell them.
Just a thought.
post #70 of 750
That's my fault ... yes, it's an all-channel antenna, but for the life of me, I can't tell you who made it or when, so there are a lot of unknowns with it.

I probably won't do anything until spring rolls around again, since I have enough other jobs to keep me busy around the house until then. Besides, the Terk HDTVi I'm using right now is pulling in all the digital channels from Evansville (except WTVW during the day).

I can even get WBKO, WKYU and WKGB (KET) out of Bowling Green on a nice clear night, plus WUSI out of Olney, Illinois. All that with an indoor antenna in a brick house, which I think is pretty good.

I'm hopeful that once all the leaves are off the trees down the street, I can get FOX all the time, but that will probably have to wait until they go full power after the first of the year. (Side note: They told me it would be next summer, but if it happens sooner, I won't complain ... it'd be nice to see more than half of my NASCAR races in HD!)

RMP, what kind of TV are you running? I have a Sanyo Vizon 32" from Wal-Mart. I probably should have waited to buy it, since they dropped the price $50 a month or so after I got mine, but I'm happy with it. The dual tuner is nice, and the picture quality is great -- on the analog side, it's even better than the Sony I bought because of its picture quality five years ago.
post #71 of 750
I sent an e-mail to Lyle Schulze at WAZE-TV in Evansville today, and he was kind enough to respond quickly to my question about his station's plans for going digital. Here's what he told me:

"To answer your question--yes, we will be building a full power digital
transmitter and tower in the next year. We currently broadcast a DTV signal
on Ch. 20, but it is low power and likely does not reach Owensboro. That
will all change next year of course. We are now awaiting FCC approval for
placement of our tower. Once we are digital, we will have full HDTV
delivery capabilities. Many of the WB's prime time programs are produced in
HDTV so we are excited about that."


I didn't ask exactly where the new tower is to be placed, but I noted on the FCC's website that they have an application in for a tower south of Boonville, IN (their present tower, if memory serves, is somewhere around Hanson, KY, north of Madisonville).

I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

JN

Late breaking problem -- WKOH's (KET) digital signal is off the air. I'm gonna see if I can find out why, but that's probably going to involve calling Lexington, unless they have someone local, if anyone knows the answer to that, I'd appreciate it!
post #72 of 750
WKOH (KET 31) is back on the air on the digital side of things as of 10PM. I got a reply from their engineering folks in Lexington shortly before 10 and it was back on at 10 ... now THAT is fast!
post #73 of 750
JN:
I have a Sony 42WE655, which is an LCD rear projector with built-in HD tuner.
Thanks for the info on WAZE; I had wondered what they were up to. Also, regarding KET: Mr. William Smith, who I think is the head engineer for KET, can often be found on the Lexington, KY thread of this forum.
Finally, I have been in correspondence with a gentleman from WEVV, who tells me he will check the audio problem I mentioned several posts previously.
post #74 of 750
RMP,

I may have to look into one of those units (or something along those lines) for the next HD set I buy. On the whole, I'm satisfied with my Sanyo, though. It's a good one for the price, although I understand Wal-Mart is discontinuing them (or has already done so). I couldn't see the expense of buying an HD monitor when I wasn't 100% sure what I was going to be able to pick up OTA.

I might be saying "thanks, but no thanks" to the in-laws about that antenna. I'm doing pretty well with the HDTVi indoor unit, and I'm not at all certain what condition the one in their attic is in. I certainly don't want to go to all the trouble of mounting, grounding and connecting it if it's no good and won't be of any use to me.

No problem on the WAZE info. I actually meant to get in touch with them a few weeks ago, but it kept slipping my mind until yesterday. It's a good thing they're quick about replying! And as for WEVV, my main issue with them isn't the sound, it's the picture quality. It's AWFUL! All of my other channels are great, crystal clear in picture and sound, but WEVV's picture is blurry, and it's not much better than analog, which is a real shame.
post #75 of 750
Quote:


Finally, I have been in correspondence with a gentleman from WEVV, who tells me he will check the audio problem I mentioned several posts previously.

Thank goodness! The sound I am getting is really irritating. Way too much background noise. Sometimes I cannot hear what the main characters are saying because of all the noise.

Quote:


All of my other channels are great, crystal clear in picture and sound, but WEVV's picture is blurry, and it's not much better than analog, which is a real shame.

I seem to notice that on some of the shows I watch. Some of them are ok, but others have a blur effect to them. I'll take it over what I was getting before though. Complete snow.
post #76 of 750
Still they say no idea when on HDTV.

Thats sad looks like no NFL CBS games this season.

Oh well lets all look forward to both CBS and finaly FOX in Evansville going HD in 2006.


Trido
post #77 of 750
i have CBS at times. I once had ABC but it has been gone for some time now not knowing why....very frustrating.
post #78 of 750
I've got CBS44 right now, and it was coming in fine earlier as I flipped through looking for something to watch ... was there a problem?

WEHT's signal has been a little wonky lately; I've had to prop up the front of my HDTVi antenna with a DVD case just to get the signal to hold even a little bit steady. Now, this is a daytime issue, not as much at night.

I've had no luck pulling in WTVW since the weather cooled off. Ditto for WUSI out of Olney, Illinois, and the Bowling Green, KY stations, too. I'm not sure why, but I imagine it's a function of the change in the weather.

Sure was nice to have the options while they lasted, though ...
post #79 of 750
Just an update here:
I moved into a 1st floor apt last week, and didn't want to keep the monster outdoor-type antenna I had propped in front of a window that I used upstairs. So I dug out a little Radio Shack UHF-only set-top antenna from the closet (It's the two-bay bow-tie job, sorry I don't have the stock #, I don't think they sell it anymore.) ANYWAY, I stuck this thing in the window facing Henderson, about 6 ft above ground level, and guess what, I still get good reception on WFIE-DT, WEHT-DT and WEVV-DT, as long as the wind isn't blowing. I still get breakup on WFIE and WEHT if the weather is bad, WEVV remains rock steady.
post #80 of 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN_owensboro View Post

I've got CBS44 right now, and it was coming in fine earlier as I flipped through looking for something to watch ... was there a problem?

WEHT's signal has been a little wonky lately; I've had to prop up the front of my HDTVi antenna with a DVD case just to get the signal to hold even a little bit steady. Now, this is a daytime issue, not as much at night.

I've had no luck pulling in WTVW since the weather cooled off. Ditto for WUSI out of Olney, Illinois, and the Bowling Green, KY stations, too. I'm not sure why, but I imagine it's a function of the change in the weather.

Sure was nice to have the options while they lasted, though ...

Yes can you double check I havea strong signal BUT no video or audio again like it was a month or two ago.

I hope not the dish box I have ABC and NBC OTA fine but again CBS WEVV no vid or audio last two days.

Maybe I will reboot box

Trido
post #81 of 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP in KY View Post

Just an update here:
I moved into a 1st floor apt last week, and didn't want to keep the monster outdoor-type antenna I had propped in front of a window that I used upstairs. So I dug out a little Radio Shack UHF-only set-top antenna from the closet (It's the two-bay bow-tie job, sorry I don't have the stock #, I don't think they sell it anymore.) ANYWAY, I stuck this thing in the window facing Henderson, about 6 ft above ground level, and guess what, I still get good reception on WFIE-DT, WEHT-DT and WEVV-DT, as long as the wind isn't blowing. I still get breakup on WFIE and WEHT if the weather is bad, WEVV remains rock steady.

this ia atrange as for me WEVV has been out last two days other two DT stations are fine

Same weird problem I had with WEVV two months ago If I disconnect my coax to outside ant then hook back up I have aud and vid BUT as SOON as I scan up or down to another channel and go BACK to wevv NO signal again this same thing happend month or so ago I called them no issues then next day they went out.

Any ideas on this weird deal must be their digital stream and DISH boxes

trido
post #82 of 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by trido View Post

this ia atrange as for me WEVV has been out last two days other two DT stations are fine

Same weird problem I had with WEVV two months ago If I disconnect my coax to outside ant then hook back up I have aud and vid BUT as SOON as I scan up or down to another channel and go BACK to wevv NO signal again this same thing happend month or so ago I called them no issues then next day they went out.

Any ideas on this weird deal must be their digital stream and DISH boxes

trido

I receive WEVV on my Mitsubishi TV built-in tuner but not on a DirectTV HDTV receiver nor on a PC Fushion tuner card. 100% signal but no picture. Something must screwed up with their PSIP.
post #83 of 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lee View Post

I receive WEVV on my Mitsubishi TV built-in tuner but not on a DirectTV HDTV receiver nor on a PC Fushion tuner card. 100% signal but no picture. Something must screwed up with their PSIP.

Thanks Ron I emailed my eng contact at staion that is THREE diferent confirmed receiver issues,.It has to be them.

Also sad note it appears we aint going to see CBS HD for a long time.I hope the info I was given is wrong...

Sad

trido
RON
Also if you can monday email AND call their eng dept let them know on your two boxes are no aud or vid they need to hear fromjust me as NO ONE else has this issues.
They tell me several cable companies are using their DT signal only.

thnaks

Trido
post #84 of 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by trido View Post

Thanks Ron I emailed my eng contact at staion that is THREE diferent confirmed receiver issues,.It has to be them.

Also sad note it appears we aint going to see CBS HD for a long time.I hope the info I was given is wrong...

Sad

trido
RON
Also if you can monday email AND call their eng dept let them know on your two boxes are no aud or vid they need to hear fromjust me as NO ONE else has this issues.
They tell me several cable companies are using their DT signal only.

thnaks

Trido


Well they just emailed me again they have no problems how in the world BOTH direct TV and Dish HD box have no aud or vid but show strong carrier and they say on OUR ends some thing wrong.

trido

anyone else out besides me and Ron please atleast email station if you cant call their eng dept and let them know

Of course on other hand since they are not going HD anytime soon no real lose I guess.
post #85 of 750
I am having the same problem. Get audio and video for about half a second when tuning to WEVV=DT, then pix and sound are lost. Diagnostic screen shows strong signal. I have just e-mailed my contact at the station reporting this problem.
post #86 of 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP in KY View Post

I am having the same problem. Get audio and video for about half a second when tuning to WEVV=DT, then pix and sound are lost. Diagnostic screen shows strong signal. I have just e-mailed my contact at the station reporting this problem.

Ok thanks please tell them of me with dish 811 I have told my contact also emailed station

maybe your contact is dif than mine see if he or she confirms they have the HD equipment BUT have no way to switch to NON HD programming.So they arent doing anything at all for now.


trido

we need them to KNOW more than one are having DT issues
post #87 of 750
I haven't had anything from 44 since late this morning. We watched The Price Is Right -- no problem -- but when I tuned in to watch Maury this afternoon? NOTHING. NADA. ZIP. You get the idea.

And the funny part is, as has been mentioned, I'm pulling down a strong signal, but my display doesn't show "WEVV-DT", and there's no sound, no pic. I'm getting really, really tired of this.

If my little boy and I weren't such big TPIR fans, I'd quit watching 44 entirely. This is just ri-damn-diculous.
post #88 of 750
WEVV's reason for missing their FCC mandated deadline for a digital transmitter was their extreme financial condition. Yet, when they are finally on the air they can afford to operate a 500 kW ERP transmitter from which very few viewers can receive a picture!
post #89 of 750
WEVV wants a list of OTA boxes having reception well NO reception of their DT signal

they are blaming the boxes it appears.

I have two DISh HD 811 both no pic.

Please post what others exact models


thanks

Trido
post #90 of 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by trido View Post

WEVV wants a list of OTA boxes having reception well NO reception of their DT signal

they are blaming the boxes it appears.

I have two DISh HD 811 both no pic.

Please post what others exact models


thanks

Trido

I have a Mitsubishi WD-62525 HDTV with internal digital tuner, a Toshiba DST-3000 DirectTV set top box and a HTPC Fusion 5 Gold tuner card. All display a 100% signal level without a picture! The TV had a picture until I re-scanned the local channels.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Evansville, IN - HDTV