or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Baton Rouge, LA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Baton Rouge, LA - HDTV - Page 88

post #2611 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispap View Post

Not counting the hd issue, i think the networks ought to crack down on affiliates that dont show their national lineup when it actually airs.You dont want to show letterman @ 10:30, you cant be a cbs affiliate. No nightline @ 10:30, no abc affiliate. Let them lose their affiliation then they can show frasier or judge judy m-f from 7-10pm, see how that goes over.

These are not ComCorp stations but I felt I should clarify the ABC situation:
ABC affiliates are not required to show Nightline at 10:30 after the news.

This is prime news leadin time and the Nightline delay is optional for all ABC affiliates.

As for airing delayed programs in HD, the cost is prohibitive for some stations.
post #2612 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

That's not going to fly... there are some stations that are SD only. Some are dual affiliates on one channel where say the CBS is HD but they added NBC later down the line as an SD subchannel.

I of course was not talking about SD channels, I was talking about HD channels.
post #2613 of 2949
You can't force stations with HD capabilities to show the content in SD when stations that only have SD capabilities continue to show 100% of the content in SD. You can't punish stations for actually spending the money for HD capabilities but happen to mess up a few things while using it.
post #2614 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

You can't force stations with HD capabilities to show the content in SD when stations that only have SD capabilities continue to show 100% of the content in SD.

Why not?? You can't expect SD stations to show anything else but SD, that's obvious. But you can expect HD stations to show HD programs in HD. Not doing so is infuriating. HD channels and stations have been around for many years, and after so many years they still can't get it right, that's incompetence....or else too cheap to do it.


Quote:


You can't punish stations for actually spending the money for HD capabilities but happen to mess up a few things while using it.

Constantly showing HD programs in SD, is not "messing up only a few things".

Forget I ever brought it up.
post #2615 of 2949
You're missing my point here.

Lets take Station A and Station B. Station A spent top dollar on their digital transition, tallest and highest powered station the FCC would allow, and the best HD switching equipment you can buy inside the station. Station B, didn't upgrade the station. Basically just swapped the analog signal for a 480i digital one. Spent enough just to scrape by on the digital transition.

So now when Station A decides to flip some stuff around and tape delay a show in SD (someone forgot to order that piece of equipment ) they should get punished? While the other station who didn't spend any money can't get punished?

It wouldn't work, unless an affiliate required all of their stations transmit in HD, which of course that wouldn't work either.
post #2616 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Why not?? You can't expect SD stations to show anything else but SD, that's obvious. But you can expect HD stations to show HD programs in HD. Not doing so is infuriating. HD channels and stations have been around for many years, and after so many years they still can't get it right, that's incompetence....or else too cheap to do it.



Constantly showing HD programs in SD, is not "messing up only a few things".

Forget I ever brought it up.

This is all part of the 'ongoing' digital transition. Eventually, as their budgets allow, the HD stations will upgrade equipment to show delayed HD programs in HD, have HD local news from the studio and the field reporters, and produce local HD advertising. It will just take time....and lots of money.
post #2617 of 2949
I just noticed that the Directv guide is now listed KZUP and CWHD in the guide. My WVLA, WGMB, WBRZ, and WAFB all are coming in but the two new ones are not. I have a CM4228 antenna. Anyone know what could be wrong?
post #2618 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino2469 View Post

I just noticed that the Directv guide is now listed KZUP and CWHD in the guide. My WVLA, WGMB, WBRZ, and WAFB all are coming in but the two new ones are not. I have a CM4228 antenna. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Where are you located? Both of the stations are low powered, which means you have to be very picky on antenna direction, number of splitters, etc.
post #2619 of 2949
I am in Prairieville, off of Hwy 42. I have a 2 way splitter
post #2620 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino2469 View Post

I am in Prairieville, off of Hwy 42. I have a 2 way splitter

Here's the predicted coverage. You might try tweaking the antenna and also bypassing the 2-way splitter for now and see if you can find it. You might need an amp to pull it in. If I remember correctly you also have another channel in N.O. beating on your backdoor on 21 also. 19 might be easier to find(it is on 20 actually).

If you can snag them, let me know if you get any audio. When they first cut over a few months ago, KZUP had audio, but WBRL did not. Now they both do not have audio for me.
post #2621 of 2949
thanks Digi, I will try that. If I need an amp what is the recommended one for that antenna?
post #2622 of 2949
guess it would help if I posted the link eh?

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DC1260568.html

Lots of folks like the CM line of amplifiers. Make sure it is a VHF/UHF capable. The only issue I might see is over driving the other high powered locals.
post #2623 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino2469 View Post

thanks Digi, I will try that. If I need an amp what is the recommended one for that antenna?

I have a cm4228 and this is the one i use. Cm7777. It has the seperate uhf/vhf
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/7777.htm
post #2624 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino2469 View Post

I just noticed that the Directv guide is now listed KZUP and CWHD in the guide. My WVLA, WGMB, WBRZ, and WAFB all are coming in but the two new ones are not. I have a CM4228 antenna. Anyone know what could be wrong?

They don't come in for me either. I have an HR20 and it just shows black. KZUP is listed as 20-1, which doesn't match PSIP, so I can see why that one is broke but WBRL should be OK?

The signal meter is at 75% for both, so I don't think it's an antenna issue. I can tune them on the computer fine.
post #2625 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSOne View Post

They don't come in for me either. I have an HR20 and it just shows black. KZUP is listed as 20-1, which doesn't match PSIP, so I can see why that one is broke but WBRL should be OK?

The signal meter is at 75% for both, so I don't think it's an antenna issue. I can tune them on the computer fine.

ok its not just me then. I got a 60% signal for CW and the screen was just blank. Must be something with the HR20
post #2626 of 2949
The fun of DirecTV scanless receivers continues Good luck... I know it took the N.O. guys months to finally get someone to fix something like this in their area.
post #2627 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

The fun of DirecTV scanless receivers continues Good luck... I know it took the N.O. guys months to finally get someone to fix something like this in their area.

This happened with WVLA one time too. Took about a month to fix. The magic Internet supplies me CW shows just fine, so I'll just live without.
post #2628 of 2949
And off to another direction entirely....

Has anyone tried U-Verse yet? I guess it's not available in my neighborhood yet.

What's the total cost for TV, Internet, and VOIP?

Or is there a different thread somewhere I should be posting this?
post #2629 of 2949
Only two streams of HD at a time kills it for my house... I need to record at least 3.
post #2630 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rssalling View Post

And off to another direction entirely....

Has anyone tried U-Verse yet? I guess it's not available in my neighborhood yet.

What's the total cost for TV, Internet, and VOIP?

Or is there a different thread somewhere I should be posting this?

Link to see if it is available in your area and see price and channel lineup.

https://uverse1.att.com/un/launchAMS...ceabilityCheck
post #2631 of 2949
Finally found an address that works to see the lineup and pricing.... Nice lineup but way too expensive. I'll stick with my HD Absolute DishNetwork bill of $42 after tax.
post #2632 of 2949
-----
WRKF will temporarily be off the air beginning at 10 a.m. today.



Louisiana Public Broadcasting, with which WRKF shares transmitter tower space, will perform transmitter work today.



WRKF transmissions should resume by 3 p.m.
------

Replacing the transmission line that got nuked a couple of months ago I assume. I saw the filing saying they were at 100kw instead of 200kw, but regardless, they peg my meter at 99. Still curious why WVLA is in the 80's and WGMB and WLPB are 99 all the time. Not that it makes much of a difference to me since they are always lockable.
post #2633 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

-----
WRKF will temporarily be off the air beginning at 10 a.m. today.



Louisiana Public Broadcasting, with which WRKF shares transmitter tower space, will perform transmitter work today.



WRKF transmissions should resume by 3 p.m.
------

Replacing the transmission line that got nuked a couple of months ago I assume. I saw the filing saying they were at 100kw instead of 200kw, but regardless, they peg my meter at 99. Still curious why WVLA is in the 80's and WGMB and WLPB are 99 all the time. Not that it makes much of a difference to me since they are always lockable.


Same here with wvla and wgmb, but i never get wlpb higher than 70, usually it is low to mid 60's. Any ideas why?
post #2634 of 2949
Someone is sleeping over at WAFB... They've played SEC Network games before in HD, so I know they have the ability to do it, but not today. WWL is wide awake and playing it in HD.
post #2635 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

WWL is wide awake and playing it in HD.

KADN Lafayette is also airing the game in HD today.
post #2636 of 2949
88.2 (QAM) now shows a test pattern with something about LPB. I wonder if LPB is getting a new subchannel. If they are, it would probably be PBS World or V-Me.
post #2637 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshTemp View Post

88.2 (QAM) now shows a test pattern with something about LPB. I wonder if LPB is getting a new subchannel. If they are, it would probably be PBS World or V-Me.

Everything on 88 is showing encrypted. Is that a virtual mapping?
post #2638 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshTemp View Post

88.2 (QAM) now shows a test pattern with something about LPB. I wonder if LPB is getting a new subchannel. If they are, it would probably be PBS World or V-Me.

Hopefully not. They already have 1 hd and 2 sd's. No need to further degrade the main channel
post #2639 of 2949
It could be a cable-only subchannel, too. PBS stations in several markets have those (OETA, WNIN, etc).

- Trip
post #2640 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshTemp View Post

88.2 (QAM) now shows a test pattern with something about LPB. I wonder if LPB is getting a new subchannel. If they are, it would probably be PBS World or V-Me.

I don't know if it has anything to with it, but LPB provides the feed for the nightly lottery results. You can watch it tonight at 9:59 p.m. and see what happens.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Baton Rouge, LA - HDTV