or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Baton Rouge, LA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Baton Rouge, LA - HDTV - Page 3

post #61 of 2949
I think we will see WVLA/WGMB full power within days, the FCC will be hard pressed to grant any extension beyond 30 days for the top 100 markets. Comcorp is playing with fire right now and had better get up to full power by the end of July.
post #62 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

I think we will see WVLA/WGMB full power within days, the FCC will be hard pressed to grant any extension beyond 30 days for the top 100 markets. Comcorp is playing with fire right now and had better get up to full power by the end of July.

I hope you are right!

On another subject... looking at the FCC data you'll see WBRZ has a STA for 30kw at RF 13. WBRZ is blowing my doors off over here... I've never seen that channel drop out on me. WAFB is only whispering at 46kw at RF 46 with no STA, does the FCC consider this full power?
post #63 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

I think we will see WVLA/WGMB full power within days

I wouldnt bet too heavily on that. I think the end of the month is more reasonable. Their tower crew has not yet begun work on the antenna. (due to weather) Since the ground work is being done as we speak, it looks like the antenna change will be the last piece of of the puzzle. Since we're talking about 2 antennas, and a crew that has not yet started, I wouldnt look for a signal on air for at least a few weeks.
post #64 of 2949
Digiblur, WBRZ is technically on an STA, the only difference being moving the antenna up a few feet on the tower (which I think was already done) WBRZ'S DTV license app should appear on the FCC website soon. WAFB has chosen not to maximize thier facility, and is currently licensed to operate @ 46kw.
post #65 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Digiblur, WBRZ is technically on an STA, the only difference being moving the antenna up a few feet on the tower (which I think was already done) WBRZ'S DTV license app should appear on the FCC website soon. WAFB has chosen not to maximize thier facility, and is currently licensed to operate @ 46kw.

I guess they are planning on riding the 46kw until the analog shutdown, then since they have elected to go back to RF 9 that should be more than enough power. Hopefully I'll have enough signal in my area to catch them on my CM4228. After all I bet a majority of their customers are watching their HD signal on Cox's system.
post #66 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudstipe View Post

I wouldnt bet too heavily on that. I think the end of the month is more reasonable. Their tower crew has not yet begun work on the antenna. (due to weather) Since the ground work is being done as we speak, it looks like the antenna change will be the last piece of of the puzzle. Since we're talking about 2 antennas, and a crew that has not yet started, I wouldnt look for a signal on air for at least a few weeks.

Do you care to reveal your source of information?
post #67 of 2949
Digiblur, does WVLA/WGMB do any HD? I'm interested in WGMB for NFL coverage this fall and only when saints home games fail to sell-out, As you probably know the Baton Rouge market is covered by the blackout which forces WGMB to air an alternate game. Here in Lafayette, we are not covered by the blackout and I want as many NFL choices as possible without giving D*TV a small fortune...
post #68 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Digiblur, does WVLA/WGMB do any HD? I'm interested in WGMB for NFL coverage this fall and only when saints home games fail to sell-out, As you probably know the Baton Rouge market is covered by the blackout which forces WGMB to air an alternate game. Here in Lafayette, we are not covered by the blackout and I want as many NFL choices as possible without giving D*TV a small fortune...

Yes, WVLA and WGMB does have most of their network's HD programs in HD. I pick them up with a QAM tuner on the HDTV and a QAM tuner in the MyHD PC. WVLA seems to have a lip sync problem about 30%-40% of the time though, sometimes it is so bad I just change channels.

Current run down in my area:

WBRZ(ABC) - OTA & QAM - Awesome signal strength, excellent job on providing HD content

WAFB(CBS) - OTA & QAM - Fair signal strength, decent job a providing HD content

WVLA(NBC) - QAM - No OTA signal, poor-fair job, lip sync with some video stuttering

WGMB(FOX) - QAM - No OTA signal, decent job at providing HD content

WLPB(PBS) - OTA & QAM - Awesome signal, decent picture(2 SD subchannels)

WBRL(WB) - QAM only - excellent picture for HD content
post #69 of 2949
I'm not a an antenna/signal/hd engineer, but how hard is this process? Money? If they would actually have good local content, they could make some on advertising like everyone else does.

I bet just the few guys we have here (we all would volunteer our services right?) posting could get it all up and running in a week by just reading the freakin manuals!! LOL Heck, I don't even need a manual!

Hook this line here, run it there, run it to this hill over here, put up this tower here, hook the guy wires here, hang the antenna here, run these wires to here, plug in this, this, this, this, this, this and THAT! Done deal.

Anyone?? Anyone?? I volunteer 1st.

I want my NASCAR in HD dang it! Let alone football when it's that time.

Can we just pool our money and buy FOX and NBC? I bet we could run it better than them too!

Okeee. I'm done venting. thanks.

BTW.. for some odd reason, I've been having problems lately with WAFB. Anyone else? Cutting out around the 7-10pm hours.
post #70 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

I'm not a an antenna/signal/hd engineer, but how hard is this process? Money? If they would actually have good local content, they could make some on advertising like everyone else does.

I bet just the few guys we have here (we all would volunteer our services right?) posting could get it all up and running in a week by just reading the freakin manuals!! LOL Heck, I don't even need a manual!

Hook this line here, run it there, run it to this hill over here, put up this tower here, hook the guy wires here, hang the antenna here, run these wires to here, plug in this, this, this, this, this, this and THAT! Done deal.

Anyone?? Anyone?? I volunteer 1st.

I want my NASCAR in HD dang it! Let alone football when it's that time.

Can we just pool our money and buy FOX and NBC? I bet we could run it better than them too!

Okeee. I'm done venting. thanks.

BTW.. for some odd reason, I've been having problems lately with WAFB. Anyone else? Cutting out around the 7-10pm hours.

Changing out an antenna that is 1500 feet in the air isn't exactly a cake walk. Then hooking up 1 million watts to it isn't easy either.

I've noticed WAFB-DT dropouts too. The signal is bumping back and forth, my other digitals aren't doing it otherwise I would think it was my setup. I emailed the engineer and CC'd the station manager about it but had no response back on the problem. I did however receive an email when I was asking about more power and WBXH's power/digital signal.
post #71 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Digiblur, does WVLA/WGMB do any HD? I'm interested in WGMB for NFL coverage this fall and only when saints home games fail to sell-out, As you probably know the Baton Rouge market is covered by the blackout which forces WGMB to air an alternate game. Here in Lafayette, we are not covered by the blackout and I want as many NFL choices as possible without giving D*TV a small fortune...

WBRL(via QAM)


WGMB(via QAM)



WVLA(via QAM)

post #72 of 2949
Digiblur, Nice shots!
post #73 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Digiblur, Nice shots!

If you want any others let me know... OTA WAFB or WLPB maybe?
post #74 of 2949
Still no WVLA or WGMB digital signals out this way. Tweaked the WAFB signal a bit and got them up from 45% to 65%, still get dropouts during even the lightest bit of rain.

Thinking of putting up a 60' ROHN tower with a 91XG(link below), rotor, and CM amp. Might be able to pick up a few N.O. channels or Lafayette channels. What do you guys think?

Wondering if a I can pick up a CBS that actually broadcasts in DD5.1.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/91XG_HDTV_Antenna.html
post #75 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Still no WVLA or WGMB digital signals out this way. Tweaked the WAFB signal a bit and got them up from 45% to 65%, still get dropouts during even the lightest bit of rain.

Thinking of putting up a 60' ROHN tower with a 91XG(link below), rotor, and CM amp. Might be able to pick up a few N.O. channels or Lafayette channels. What do you guys think?

Wondering if a I can pick up a CBS that actually broadcasts in DD5.1.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/91XG_HDTV_Antenna.html

Digiblur, Yeah, no power increase yet for WVLA/WGMB, makes me wonder. I've also been thinking about buying the 91xg, I've read alot of positive reviews from forum members, but how directional is this antenna? I like the fact that the cm 4228 can receive channels from the side and back end, Also I'm lucky that the condo where I live has a really high pitched roof around 30 feet up, I'm using a gable mount with a 5 foot mast, and no wind resistance, which I'm sure is why my signals are so strong even from quite a distance away from Lake Charles, Baton Rouge. If you do decide to buy it please post your results, you should have no problem getting Laf/N.O. stations even with the antenna you have now, provided that its high up enough and without obstructions.

ps- what part of BR are you in?
post #76 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

Digiblur, Yeah, no power increase yet for WVLA/WGMB, makes me wonder. I've also been thinking about buying the 91xg, I've read alot of positive reviews from forum members, but how directional is this antenna? I like the fact that the cm 4228 can receive channels from the side and back end, Also I'm lucky that the condo where I live has a really high pitched roof around 30 feet up, I'm using a gable mount with a 5 foot mast, and no wind resistance, which I'm sure is why my signals are so strong even from quite a distance away from Lake Charles, Baton Rouge. If you do decide to buy it please post your results, you should have no problem getting Laf/N.O. stations even with the antenna you have now, provided that its high up enough and without obstructions.

ps- what part of BR are you in?


My 4228 sticks over my roof line but what kills me the most is the huge oak trees in my yard. I have three huge oak trees that taller than the electrical poles in my yard. So I'm shooting in a tree pointing SSW at WAFB's tower. WLPB and WBRZ aren't far off from that point but they are so hot it doesn't matter where I point to pick those two guys up. I've gotten a few peeps out of some stations out of Lafayette and New Orleans before but nothing I could lock on to. I know someone that has a 60 foot Rohn tower that I could have for nothing. I just need to go a few streets over and get it out of his yard.

I'm about 12 miles north of downtown BR.
post #77 of 2949
I have a RadioShack 6 ft in my attic with lots of room to spare. But arn't the transmitting signals pretty directional. I was thinking of putting a second atenna up in my attic and connecting them in a series. I don't care about the local reception of the regular broadcasts since I have D*. Is it a good idea.
post #78 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadoc View Post

I have a RadioShack 6 ft in my attic with lots of room to spare. But arn't the transmitting signals pretty directional. I was thinking of putting a second atenna up in my attic and connecting them in a series. I don't care about the local reception of the regular broadcasts since I have D*. Is it a good idea.

Attics aren't the best thing for antennas. It creates a lot of multipathing and degradation of the signal.

If you don't care about the local broadcasts then what are you trying to pick up?

Most of us here are picking up the local stations digital high definition signals that D* of course does not have. They don't even have true HD anymore for that matter...
post #79 of 2949
One thing I have learned through this process of getting OTA HD locals (in BR) is that it takes time and patience. I live near prarieville, and after about 3 weeks of trying different strategies (indoors, in the attic, attached to dish, etc) I have found a way to pull in all the locals (even NBC & FOX). The only thing that worked for me is a directional, amplified antenna mounted outside with some height (around 15-20'). Nothing else would pull in FOX or NBC. The other key ingredient is a rotator (lowes on Seigan sells them - $90) that will enable you to gradually turn the directional antenna by a small degree. After you find the right direction, you can then use the rotator to pull in WWL, Fox 8 & other New Orleans stations. It works!

The antenna mast is somewhat of an eyesore in our backyard, but from the street it's barely visible. I am sure you can accomplish the same thing by mounting the antenna directly on your roof. Regardless, if you get the antenna up high enough (with little obstructions), you should be able to get all the locals.
post #80 of 2949
I read that and said what?????????

Because I don't know of anyone picking up FOX or NBC OTA in Baton Rouge.

Then I noticed you said New Orleans stations.

You can get the rotator for much much less online. But pick up the cable for it locally, cause that's cheaper, go figure.
post #81 of 2949
Thread Starter 
Actually j-bo, I can pick up WVLA-DT using a silver sensor from my home in the garden district here in BR. I have it up in the loft of my house and have to tweak it just right but can get good continuous signal. Tonight Show and Conan have looked great in passing and I dont watch the Law and Orders.

Unfortunately (because I want it for NFL) WGMB-DT signal strength is still to low to lock on to. I can get glimpses of programming but need a stronger signal. Hopefully soon...
post #82 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm72 View Post

Actually j-bo, I can pick up WVLA-DT using a silver sensor from my home in the garden district here in BR. I have it up in the loft of my house and have to tweak it just right but can get good continuous signal. Tonight Show and Conan have looked great in passing and I dont watch the Law and Orders.

Unfortunately (because I want it for NFL) WGMB-DT signal strength is still to low to lock on to. I can get glimpses of programming but need a stronger signal. Hopefully soon...

The only reason you can't get WGMB is because of the higher frequency of the signal. Everything else is just about identical except for the freq. I'm probably about 15-20 miles from their low power tower and can't even see a sliver of their signal. But I do pick them up just fine with my QAM tuner on basic cable though so I'm still happy
post #83 of 2949
Digiblur,

Local regular broadcasts in NTSC are not my quarry. Local HDTV signals do not have all the characteristics of those broadcasts' reception over the air. Is it not an "all or nothing" signal? (other than pixelation) I am trying to grab all the signal I can. By the way I am not allowed to mount an outside setup according to "the boss".
post #84 of 2949
j-Bo -

I am pulling in those stations (local BR Fox & NBC) as well as the New Orleans stations. I use a amplified SquareShooter (wineguard) and hoisted it up about 20' in the air. It's got to be perfectly level when mounted and the line of sight needs to have minimal obstructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

I read that and said what?????????

Because I don't know of anyone picking up FOX or NBC OTA in Baton Rouge.

Then I noticed you said New Orleans stations.

You can get the rotator for much much less online. But pick up the cable for it locally, cause that's cheaper, go figure.
post #85 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadoc View Post

Digiblur,

Local regular broadcasts in NTSC are not my quarry. Local HDTV signals do not have all the characteristics of those broadcasts' reception over the air. Is it not an "all or nothing" signal? (other than pixelation) I am trying to grab all the signal I can. By the way I am not allowed to mount an outside setup according to "the boss".

Yes you can have less signal per say on ATSC than NTSC. In most cases the more signal the better as long as you aren't overdrive the reciever. That's why you will notice some broadcasters are running 2000kw and can cover the same area with a 1000kw digital signal. As several have noticed lower frequency signals do not require as much power. That's why some people can pick up RF34 and not RF45 even though they are on the same tower, same power, antennas running side by side.
post #86 of 2949
hi im new here.

I would like to receive WGMB-DT from baton rouge so i can see the saints in HD this year. I live in St. Martin Parish. I visited a checkhd website that says i can get good reception for WGMB with a small indoor antenna. Do you guys think this is true? According to the site i am about 33 miles from the tower in Baton Rouge. I would appreciate your advice on what i should get to be able to receive the signal. I Currently have a small RCA 1250 HDTV indoor antenna. Should I give that a try?


WGMB-DT FOX BATON ROUGE 67° 33.6 Good 45
post #87 of 2949
Hang in there.

Antenna changes start toward end of next week. (weather permitting)
post #88 of 2949
Hey guys.

Does anyone use the Cox HD and DVR combo service in Baton Rouge? If so what do you think? What hardware does COx use? Is it the Motorola 6412?
post #89 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by overworked View Post

Hang in there.

Antenna changes start toward end of next week. (weather permitting)

Hi, care to share your sources? are you an employee of Marsand, or the galloways?
post #90 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerscrossed View Post

Hey guys.

Does anyone use the Cox HD and DVR combo service in Baton Rouge? If so what do you think? What hardware does COx use? Is it the Motorola 6412?

A friend of mine has one but I'm not sure of the exact model. I know it has a Firewire port on it and a 120 gig hard drive. It's silver motorola box.

I use my own homegrown version of a DVR. A cheap PC on the network with a MyHD-130 tied into my CM4228 antenna on ANT1 and Cox basic cable on ANT2 for the QAM channels. I've got about 400 gigs of space in it too...love it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Baton Rouge, LA - HDTV