or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New York, NY - Cablevision
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New York, NY - Cablevision - Page 280

post #8371 of 8701
i got CV... my son has fios... tough to compare pics when they are not side by side... but i would give the nod to fios... but... my buddy down the street has CV, and the same pannie tv as i have, and i tooo think his picture is better then mine.... so...

will add i have opt boost for the net... generally getting speeds of 24/25 down, and 7/8 up... my sons fios is downloading at 35+... and i feel my web pages load quicker then his...

botttom line.. i'm confused...
post #8372 of 8701
Paris, the speed of loading certain web pages can also be related to your computer and its specs.

Do you feel your friend's better picture down the street is comparable to your son's FIOS or does the nod still go to FIOS?

Thanks much.
post #8373 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Paris, the speed of loading certain web pages can also be related to your computer and its specs.

Do you feel your friend's better picture down the street is comparable to your son's FIOS or does the nod still go to FIOS?

Thanks much.

yep understand the 'puter can make a big diff in down/up loading... but my sons 'puter is a 6month old apple... mine a 3yr old dell... so i would expect that the edge would go to the newer apple... which does not seem tobe the case.. maybe i'll do a side/side comparision this week.

as to tv pic... i'd give the nod to my buddy's pannie down the street with CV over my sons lg/fios..

what does seem tobe better with fios is the sound quality.. there i can hear a def diff...
post #8374 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

yep understand the 'puter can make a big diff in down/up loading... but my sons 'puter is a 6month old apple... mine a 3yr old dell... so i would expect that the edge would go to the newer apple... which does not seem tobe the case.. maybe i'll do a side/side comparision this week.

as to tv pic... i'd give the nod to my buddy's pannie down the street with CV over my sons lg/fios..

what does seem tobe better with fios is the sound quality.. there i can hear a def diff...

Are your and your son's set adjusted properly? Contrast, brightness, color level, etc. off just a bit could make a big difference in HD quality. Factory settings are virtually useless.

I know last year we were at a friend's house who had FIOS and I basically didn't notice any difference in picture quality between her's and our's - and believe me, I was looking for it since unlike FIOS, Cablevision compresses many stations. Compressed stations like National Geographic, History, CNN, QVC, etc. all appeared the same.

Cannot, however, say that I noticed any momentary audio stutter or picture freeze like we do. But that is a minor issue compared to the overall similarities in the picture itself which I was relieved to find.
post #8375 of 8701
ESPN is only televising one (NCAA tournament) women's game at a time! They are showing a 1vs a 16 instead of teh local team St Bonnies which plays at the same time!

Cablevision does not offer ESPN 3 on line as Comcast does. The St Bonnies game is there. Who can I complain to?
Both at ESPN and Cablevision.
post #8376 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Who can I complain to?

Probably Cablevision. In ESPN's eyes, the game is available. It's your provider who's keeping you from seeing it.
post #8377 of 8701
From a CT Pura filing:

Effective Wednesday, March 21, 2012, Cablevision will launch Disney Jr. and Disney Jr. High Definition (HD) in Connecticut. Disney Junior programming targets children ranging from 2 to 7 years old. Disney Junior programs emphasize social and emotional development, including components on healthy eating habits and lifestyles. Disney Jr. will launch on channel 126 and Disney Jr. HD will launch on channel 776. Disney Junior will be available to customers in the Family package or the new iO Value package.
post #8378 of 8701
just received an email from CV stating that DW Amerika (german language) is moving from channel location 284 to 1112 on April 3rd. Since this channel is on sdv the all familar "channel not available appears frequently. This is especially annoying since I pay $4.95 monthly to view this channel. Does anyone know whether the move will take it off switched digital video (sdv)?
post #8379 of 8701
They are moving all of the international channels to the 1000 range. It will not effect the use of SDV.
post #8380 of 8701
WLNY 10/55 launched HD Programming with the completed CBS Takeover. Any updates on when Cablevision will begin simulcasting the HD feed?
post #8381 of 8701
what i wanta know is ..what happened to the 10..or 11pm newscaster.. don't know her name..but what a cutie...
post #8382 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

what i wanta know is ..what happened to the 10..or 11pm newscaster.. don't know her name..but what a cutie...

Yeah, Michelle Imperato... She got a job in California last year
post #8383 of 8701
I noticed in the lineup for one of the new Cablevision packages there is an HD feed for TVLand. Anyone have it yet? Are all the shows HD or stretched or 4x3 with sides filled in?
post #8384 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney jackson View Post

yeah, michelle imperato... She got a job in california last year

Attachment 242607
LL
post #8385 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvidfil View Post

I noticed in the lineup for one of the new Cablevision packages there is an HD feed for TVLand. Anyone have it yet? Are all the shows HD or stretched or 4x3 with sides filled in?

Everything isn't HD but the 4:3 programs are not stretched.
post #8386 of 8701
From a CT PURA filing. As has been the case recently these might not find their way onto the systems that haven't converted to all digital yet.

Effective Wednesday, April 25, 2012, Cablevision will launch Lifetime and H2 in High Definition (HD) in Connecticut. Lifetime airs several popular programs, movies and made-for-television films targeted to women. H2 airs informational and historical programming, documentaries and international style programs. Lifetime HD will launch on channel 848 and will be available to customers subscribing to the iO value or Family Cable package. H2 HD will launch on channel 849 and will be available to customers subscribing to the iO Value or iO Package.
post #8387 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

From a CT PURA filing. As has been the case recently these might not find their way onto the systems that haven't converted to all digital yet.

Effective Wednesday, April 25, 2012, Cablevision will launch Lifetime and H2 in High Definition (HD) in Connecticut. Lifetime airs several popular programs, movies and made-for-television films targeted to women. H2 airs informational and historical programming, documentaries and international style programs. Lifetime HD will launch on channel 848 and will be available to customers subscribing to the iO value or Family Cable package. H2 HD will launch on channel 849 and will be available to customers subscribing to the iO Value or iO Package.

Why are they putting it on the 800's and not the 700's?
post #8388 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

Why are they putting it on the 800's and not the 700's?

Not sure, but they are running out slots in the 700 and 800's. The only ones left in the 700's here in CT are 700, 710, 775, 777, 778, 795 and 799. There are a few slots left in the 800's but they are around all of the premium movie channels so they might be reserving them for future premium additions. The CT OTA HD stations are in the 690's here.

The 200 range will soon be available as they are moving all of the international package channels to the 1000 range.
post #8389 of 8701
This is a waiting game for me. Which will happen first? Cablevision converting my Raritan Valley area to all digital, so I can get the newer HD channels like ID and H2, or Direct TV adding these channels in HD? I'll stay with Cablevision if they start converting the rest of the systems like mine to digital in a timely manner and stop this unfair practice of penalizing those that live in analog areas. The bad thing is they will not even give you an ETA as to when this conversion is going to happen.
post #8390 of 8701
Indeed Mixdoctor, ever since September of last year starting with Bloomberg HD those of us in the digital/analog systems are getting screwed more and more with each new HD addition. Bloomberg HD, Disney Jr. HD, TV Land HD, MTV2 HD and now Lifetime and H2 HD. Correct me if I'm missing any.

Subscribers in digital/analog areas should get bill reductions for each channel we subscribe to that we're not getting the HD feed since of course there's no separate fee for HD programming being all inclusive.
post #8391 of 8701
HD is free so how can the give us a credit?
post #8392 of 8701
They can advertise it that way since it makes them look good, but in the end it's absorbed into the pricing of the TV packages vs being a separate fee like it is for other providers. Cablevision has the breakdown of how much these feeds cost either negotiated with a number of channels from a broadcaster or on their own (or else their accounting department isn't doing it's job) and can give us appropriate credit on our bills.
post #8393 of 8701
But no one's bill has gone up since September (unless you changed to a new package) since all these recent HD channels have been added. In most cases they don't pay the provider anything extra to carry the HD feed, if they do it's pennies.
post #8394 of 8701
I don't really care much about a credit, but offer us some other "free" service. This "free" service is better in the all digital areas than it is in the analog/digital area. Therefore the digital guys are getting better service. Free or not, I am being punished for living in an area in which CV cannot get it's act together and I am paying the same rates as everyone else.
post #8395 of 8701
I see that here in Fairfield County CT we will be getting WLNY-HD (Channel 10/55 from LI). It's probably a good bet that LI and NYC will get it as well.

Effective Wednesday, April 25, 2012, Cablevision will launch WLNY in High Definition (HD) in the Bridgeport (excluding New Haven) and Norwalk systems. WLNY HD will launch on channel 710 and will be available to customers (with the proper HD equipment) subscribing to the Broadcast Basic Package and above.
post #8396 of 8701
Hey, does anyone know which io TV package is included in the Optimum Triple Play offer of $89.99 for new customers? Is it the io Value? or the io Preferred?

Thanks.
post #8397 of 8701
Has the N.Y./L.I Cablevision service area switched to all digital? If so, did anyone notice an improvement in PQ?
post #8398 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Has the N.Y./L.I Cablevision service area switched to all digital? If so, did anyone notice an improvement in PQ?

I'm in Centereach and all digital for almost a year now. No change in picture quality here.
post #8399 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-SVT View Post

I'm in Centereach and all digital for almost a year now. No change in picture quality here.

Would you say the picture quality is good at your L.I. location? Do you see much pixelization with rapid motion?
post #8400 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-SVT View Post


I'm in Centereach and all digital for almost a year now. No change in picture quality here.

I'm in Centereach also and didn't even realize we were all digital!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New York, NY - Cablevision