or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New York, NY - Cablevision
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New York, NY - Cablevision - Page 287

post #8581 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKhaki View Post

Anyone else get the ESPN3D channel working yet?
Got the update today and its Channel 155. The guide shows the listings of 3D programming such as College football or X Games, but no feed.

yep
live since this morning
showing ncaa bb split screen
post #8582 of 8701
Well yeah its split screen until you hit the 3d button on your remote.

Seems ok so far, I thought Monday Night Football was broadcast in 3d but I guess not. Need to find a schedule of their 3d broadcasts somewhere
post #8583 of 8701
thanks but I know that, was just responding to if it was live yet
I don't have and never will watch 3d requiring glasses
post #8584 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKhaki View Post

Well yeah its split screen until you hit the 3d button on your remote.
Seems ok so far, I thought Monday Night Football was broadcast in 3d but I guess not. Need to find a schedule of their 3d broadcasts somewhere

http://espn.go.com/espntv/3d/
post #8585 of 8701
can someone explain why the audio is different on the channels??

last nite's knicks/nets game was on 3 channels... the audio on espn and on yes was excellent... but on msg the audio sux'd...a tin..ey sound..

i would have thought that msg being owned by CV would have had at least as good if not a better feed then espn/yes...
post #8586 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

can someone explain why the audio is different on the channels??
last nite's knicks/nets game was on 3 channels... the audio on espn and on yes was excellent... but on msg the audio sux'd...a tin..ey sound..
i would have thought that msg being owned by CV would have had at least as good if not a better feed then espn/yes...

Different networks have different equipment and likely process their audio slightly differently but overall those 3 networks have good quality audio. ESPN's feed should have been blacked out or substituted with alternate programming like ESPNews. The issue with tin ey audio was likely an isolated issue and/or poor quality control during the game.
post #8587 of 8701
msg audio is also much loader then any other channel
and their commercials are even loader
very disturbing
post #8588 of 8701
Ho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

msg audio is also much loader then any other channel
and their commercials are even loader
very disturbing
hopefully this http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/loud-commercials will address it
post #8589 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

can someone explain why the audio is different on the channels??
last nite's knicks/nets game was on 3 channels... the audio on espn and on yes was excellent... but on msg the audio sux'd...a tin..ey sound..
i would have thought that msg being owned by CV would have had at least as good if not a better feed then espn/yes...

Different networks have different equipment and likely process their audio slightly differently but overall those 3 networks have good quality audio. ESPN's feed should have been blacked out or substituted with alternate programming like ESPNews. The issue with tin ey audio was likely an isolated issue and/or poor quality control during the game.

espn no longer has to be blacked out locally when showing nba games.

Also - MSG tends to have bad sound on road games... seems they only send 2.0 - yet flag it as surround.
post #8590 of 8701
When is espn 3d coming to long island
post #8591 of 8701
It showed up for me yesterday, Brookhaven system.
post #8592 of 8701
duplicate channels in the 1100 and 1300 range will be eliminated on January 15 , 2013. They will only be available in the three number channel range.
Any idea why this is happening? Why did they duplicate these channels in the first place?
post #8593 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post

duplicate channels in the 1100 and 1300 range will be eliminated on January 15 , 2013. They will only be available in the three number channel range.
Any idea why this is happening? Why did they duplicate these channels in the first place?

Those channels are SD feeds. They exist because sometimes the SD and HD feeds for the same channel are different, and without them, customers on HD boxes would be unable to view the SD feeds.
post #8594 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

Those channels are SD feeds. They exist because sometimes the SD and HD feeds for the same channel are different, and without them, customers on HD boxes would be unable to view the SD feeds.

the only channels that ever had different programming between sd and hd were espn and espn 2
(and that was rare)
so that theory falls short, the fact is there is no ryhme or reason to have a handful of channels there

nat geo wild
Oprah net
bio
etc. ...
and a handful of premiums

non of which EVER have different programming between sd and hd

so no none really knows why
post #8595 of 8701
ESPN 1 & 2 SD used to have different programming from their HD counterpart only during blackouts of local games. SD satellite receivers in the cable headend would automatically switch to an alternate feed such as a non local game or ESPNews. HD didn't have the capability in the past and would just show a black screen until the local game was over. In the past several months ESPN upgraded their satellite transmission.for SD viewers it meant letterbox picture which is a down convert of the HD channel. For HD viewers it meant no more black screens and auto switching to alternate programming during blackouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

the only channels that ever had different programming between sd and hd were espn and espn 2
(and that was rare)
so that theory falls short, the fact is there is no ryhme or reason to have a handful of channels there
nat geo wild
Oprah net
bio
etc. ...
and a handful of premiums
non of which EVER have different programming between sd and hd
so no none really knows why

Edited by nyctveng - 12/19/12 at 8:04am
post #8596 of 8701
Can anyone else in LI using cablevisionn on ClearQAM confirm that they're now encrypting broadcast channels? Only 2, 7 and 13 still work. 4,5,9 and 11 are out and haven't come back in days.

I guess they finally followed through after all these years?
post #8597 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Can anyone else in LI using cablevisionn on ClearQAM confirm that they're now encrypting broadcast channels? Only 2, 7 and 13 still work. 4,5,9 and 11 are out and haven't come back in days.

It's not encrypted, they probably just moved stuff around. Try a rescan.
post #8598 of 8701
Rescanned, and NBC and FOX are completely absent in HD, although the SD versions are there way up in the listings.
post #8599 of 8701
I'm on Long Island and I have one set(in guest room) without a box. I just turned it on to check and I get CBS, NBC and Channel 12 News. I didn't do a full check but several other channels I tried at random came in so my conclusion is that it's a local problem for you.
post #8600 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

ESPN 1 & 2 SD used to have different programming from their HD counterpart only during blackouts of local games. SD satellite receivers in the cable headend would automatically switch to an alternate feed such as a non local game or ESPNews. HD didn't have the capability in the past and would just show a black screen until the local game was over. In the past several months ESPN upgraded their satellite transmission.for SD viewers it meant letterbox picture which is a down convert of the HD channel. For HD viewers it meant no more black screens and auto switching to alternate programming during blackouts.

like I said, outside of the espns, there is no reason for the other several channels to be in that range
none whatsoever
post #8601 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

like I said, outside of the espns, there is no reason for the other several channels to be in that range
none whatsoever
It also allows one to choose to record the SD feed in order to save space.

And there is no real downside to it since it doesn't consume any additional bandwidth.
post #8602 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

It also allows one to choose to record the SD feed in order to save space.
And there is no real downside to it since it doesn't consume any additional bandwidth.

then please explain why they only chose a random handful of channels in that range?
it is not for recording purposes or alternative programming
it is unknown why they are there
post #8603 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

then please explain why they only chose a random handful of channels in that range?
it is not for recording purposes or alternative programming
it is unknown why they are there
OK, whatever you say.
post #8604 of 8701
Anyone else get the new guide? It seems that the new Samsung boxes get it first.. Had the new guide a few weeks now but nothing yet on the other SA boxes..
post #8605 of 8701
Nothing here either.
post #8606 of 8701
regarding Sundance channel (192) . This channel used to have excellent programming including foreign and indie films and other interesting programs. For the last couple of months however their programming consists of repeats of old movies which in some cases were shown on other channels and serial type shows. Did this channel change ownership?
post #8607 of 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post

regarding Sundance channel (192) . This channel used to have excellent programming including foreign and indie films and other interesting programs. For the last couple of months however their programming consists of repeats of old movies which in some cases were shown on other channels and serial type shows. Did this channel change ownership?
Changed ownership 4 years ago according to wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundance_Channel_(United_States)
post #8608 of 8701
How do you get 5.1 from an SA4250,? I have an HDMI from the box to my Denon 591, (along with HDMI from blu ray player an d PS3 to the AVR), and a single HDMI to my Kuro.
post #8609 of 8701
dsskid: thanks for the reply.. Guess I have to use hdmi instead of optical or coaxial from STB to AVr.. What part of the Island are u from?
Happy New Year and thanks again for reply. Hope this years weather is calmer that last years..
post #8610 of 8701
I,m using HDMI, but after hooking up my bass shakers a few days ago, noticed Lfe is lacking even tough the receiver says Dolby Digital. I tried optical, and got the same, so I think I may have it wrong.
Edited by dsskid - 1/1/13 at 3:03pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New York, NY - Cablevision