or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Minneapolis, MN - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Minneapolis, MN - OTA - Page 53

post #1561 of 2124
WUCW responded to my request for information and told me this:

"I'm guessing you're referring to the movie "Die Hard with a Vengeance". Unfortunately that format you saw (known as postage stamp) was due to the way the distributor sent that movie to us. We air it from tape in SD which causes the black bars on the sides and the movie was on tape in letterbox which caused the black bars on top and bottom. We will contact the distributor to try to avoid any future issues like this."

So that answers that, though I still feel like the daytime stuff is different... As jjeff said, I am seeing only 4:3 during the day...
post #1562 of 2124
I'm impressed that someone took the time to answer your question, and in a nicely technical way smile.gif
I sent 2 emails to KSTP but never received a response mad.gif
post #1563 of 2124
As of this morning, 5-6 is now in the Zap2it.com listings. Assuming it stays there, Tivo users should be up to date in the next 24-48 hours, with Windows Media Center users hopefully not too far behind.
post #1564 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial7 View Post

WUCW responded to my request for information and told me this:
"I'm guessing you're referring to the movie "Die Hard with a Vengeance". Unfortunately that format you saw (known as postage stamp) was due to the way the distributor sent that movie to us. We air it from tape in SD which causes the black bars on the sides and the movie was on tape in letterbox which caused the black bars on top and bottom. We will contact the distributor to try to avoid any future issues like this."
So that answers that, though I still feel like the daytime stuff is different... As jjeff said, I am seeing only 4:3 during the day...

The only time WUCW has HD programming on is if its the national prime time CW programming. Everything else is 4:3 standard definition since apparently they are too cheap to get with the times and air their stuff in HD. This becomes really apparent with Ring Of Honor Wrestling which looks ultra bad on the station since you can clearly tell the show is supposed to be 16:9.
post #1565 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post

The only time WUCW has HD programming on is if its the national prime time CW programming. Everything else is 4:3 standard definition since apparently they are too cheap to get with the times and air their stuff in HD. This becomes really apparent with Ring Of Honor Wrestling which looks ultra bad on the station since you can clearly tell the show is supposed to be 16:9.

no its not. ROH Wrestling is shown in glorious 4x3. I've seen the backhaul feed (via KU Band) that Sinclair sends to affiliates on Monday's and Tuesday's and it says at the beginning 4x3
post #1566 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

As of this morning, 5-6 is now in the Zap2it.com listings. Assuming it stays there, Tivo users should be up to date in the next 24-48 hours, with Windows Media Center users hopefully not too far behind.

My Tivo's got updated with correct listings for 5-6 today.
post #1567 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

no its not. ROH Wrestling is shown in glorious 4x3. I've seen the backhaul feed (via KU Band) that Sinclair sends to affiliates on Monday's and Tuesday's and it says at the beginning 4x3

So why is the show in some markets along with available on ROH's own site in 16x9? More then likely Sinclair sends an 4x3 version to markets that don't have the equipment to automate switching from 16x9 to 4x3 material which includes our own CW affiliate.

Edit:

http://www.rohwrestling.com/content/week

Outside of the ROH logo flash used several times the weekly promos are in 16x9.

http://www.rohwrestling.com/tv/watch-now

Again the show is clearly 16x9.
Edited by Demolition Man - 6/21/12 at 4:00pm
post #1568 of 2124
when I have seen the backhauls they have always been 4x3. I have yet to see a 16x9 feed out there and I'm sure Sinclair would send both feeds up at the same time wink.gif
also they can stretch it to 16x9. Thats what KSTC does with AWF Wrestling. Its clearly a 4x3 program stretched to 16x9 which sucks. Neither Directv nor Dish carries KSTC45 in HD so some of the action is cut off. Also the commercials are stretched too so they look like crap
post #1569 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

when I have seen the backhauls they have always been 4x3. I have yet to see a 16x9 feed out there and I'm sure Sinclair would send both feeds up at the same time wink.gif
also they can stretch it to 16x9. Thats what KSTC does with AWF Wrestling. Its clearly a 4x3 program stretched to 16x9 which sucks. Neither Directv nor Dish carries KSTC45 in HD so some of the action is cut off. Also the commercials are stretched too so they look like crap


The ROH satellite feeds are either anamorphic 4:3 (suitable for stretching for 16:9) or standard 4:3.
post #1570 of 2124
Thanks for the scoop Jim, always nice to see a local engineer(even if his location says Milwaukee WI confused.gif) straighten things out smile.gif

On a separate note, did anyone else miss Physical channel 45 this afternoon? It seems to be back up now but earlier only 5.1 and 5.7(both physical 35) seemed to be on the air confused.gif
Personally I'm really liking the new AntennaTV more than any of the other 5's subs, it's replaced 5.2(Rewind) as my default background TV channel, not that I wouldn't REALLY like Rewind back frown.gif).
post #1571 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

when I have seen the backhauls they have always been 4x3. I have yet to see a 16x9 feed out there and I'm sure Sinclair would send both feeds up at the same time wink.gif

Yeah you would think they would send both at the same time but who knows. I've heard that the 16x9 version is usually sent on Thursday on some kind of KuBand HD. I could be wrong but a few friends of mine in other markets are getting ROH in 16x9 and they are pretty confident its not being stretched since stuff like the title card graphics have extra space on the sides that is cropped off on the 4x3 broadcast. I can confirm this from their recent house show DVD releases along with internet PPVs which for the most part have been 16x9.
Quote:
also they can stretch it to 16x9. Thats what KSTC does with AWF Wrestling. Its clearly a 4x3 program stretched to 16x9 which sucks. Neither Directv nor Dish carries KSTC45 in HD so some of the action is cut off. Also the commercials are stretched too so they look like crap

Up until a month ago I was on Comcast which carries KSTC 45 HD. From the few times I watched AWF since the move to HD it never looked stretched. However it does look 480p quality at best since it lacks the clarify you would expect from 720p/1080i. I can't comment on the ads since I normally DVR recorded AWF so I pretty much skipped past them. Is there any reason why DirecTV doesn't carry KSTC 45 HD yet by the way... or any of the local subchannels for that matter?
post #1572 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post

Yeah you would think they would send both at the same time but who knows. I've heard that the 16x9 version is usually sent on Thursday on some kind of KuBand HD. I could be wrong but a few friends of mine in other markets are getting ROH in 16x9 and they are pretty confident its not being stretched since stuff like the title card graphics have extra space on the sides that is cropped off on the 4x3 broadcast. I can confirm this from their recent house show DVD releases along with internet PPVs which for the most part have been 16x9.
per post above it is being sent as 4x3
The ROH satellite feeds are either anamorphic 4:3 (suitable for stretching for 16:9) or standard 4:3.
Quote:
Up until a month ago I was on Comcast which carries KSTC 45 HD. From the few times I watched AWF since the move to HD it never looked stretched. However it does look 480p quality at best since it lacks the clarify you would expect from 720p/1080i. I can't comment on the ads since I normally DVR recorded AWF so I pretty much skipped past them.
its a 4x3 picture stretched to 16x9. When you watch the Directv feed of 45 the "hd zone" is never shown so it looks like the wrestlers are partially off stage when doing interviews and the commercials parts of it are missing
Quote:
Is there any reason why DirecTV doesn't carry KSTC 45 HD yet by the way... or any of the local subchannels for that matter?
The only subchannel they carry is MN channel (2-2 which is shown as 17-2)...Dish doesnt carry it
Neither provider carries subchannels unless they are of a major network (Fox, ABC etc) or the "parent station" (the main) throws a fit come retrans agreement renewal time that if they dont carry their CW subchannel (as example) you lose CBS. Also not enough bandwidth to carry them

Until a year or so ago the only HD on 45 was Wild Hockey so it wasnt needed. Now it really is and I hope KSTP gets the providers to carry KSTC in HD
post #1573 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

per post above it is being sent as 4x3
The ROH satellite feeds are either anamorphic 4:3 (suitable for stretching for 16:9) or standard 4:3.

In a way I wouldn't be shocked if the CW Twin Cities is simply cropping an anamorphic 4x3 picture so it'll look like an native 4x3 image. I remember some of the shows when the Sinclair era ROH started having graphics/text/action being cut off on the WUCW broadcast. ROH seems to be framing a bit better for 4:3 lately since they are a bit more aware that not all markets are showing the show in 16:9. Not to mention ROH COO Joe Koop mentioned not too long ago that they are planning on bumping the TV show to 720p next year. He said something to the effect of they are waiting on more Sinclair stations to be able to broadcast the show in HD before they jump (which I assume includes WUCW). They are experimenting with 720p at least from the last iPPV "Border Wars" which offered an 720p stream which is probably the best picture quality I've seen on anything ROH post-HDNet. No idea if they will have 720p available for this Sunday's "Best In The World 2012: Hostage Crisis" but I'll let you know if it is as I have my order in already.
Quote:
its a 4x3 picture stretched to 16x9. When you watch the Directv feed of 45 the "hd zone" is never shown so it looks like the wrestlers are partially off stage when doing interviews and the commercials parts of it are missing

Actually I think you mean the the 16x9 image is cropped for 4x3 on the KSTC SD. I did compare during one broadcast and noticed things were cropped on the SD broadcast. Kinda was shocked since I remember AWF used to be 4x3 letterbox prior to going to "HD."
Quote:
The only subchannel they carry is MN channel (2-2 which is shown as 17-2)...Dish doesnt carry it
Neither provider carries subchannels unless they are of a major network (Fox, ABC etc) or the "parent station" (the main) throws a fit come retrans agreement renewal time that if they dont carry their CW subchannel (as example) you lose CBS. Also not enough bandwidth to carry them
Until a year or so ago the only HD on 45 was Wild Hockey so it wasnt needed. Now it really is and I hope KSTP gets the providers to carry KSTC in HD

I almost would have to think that if DirecTV were to get KSTC HD that they could get all the other subchannels that KSTP has for cheap (ie: MeTV, ThisTV, etc). But who knows in this crazy world of retrans agreements what will happen behind closed doors if anything ever does happen.
post #1574 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

Until a year or so ago the only HD on 45 was Wild Hockey so it wasnt needed. Now it really is and I hope KSTP gets the providers to carry KSTC in HD
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I am not aware of any current programming on 45 that's actually broadcast in native HD. I'm under the impression that (just like it is with KSTP) all content is either upscaled or downscaled to 720p for broadcast since they lack the ability to rebroadcast syndicated or pre-recorded content in native HD. The Wild games were an exception to the rule because they were a live feed, similar to how KSTP has no problem sending out the live HD feed from ABC with the prime time programming.
post #1575 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

the only subchannel they carry is MN channel (2-2 which is shown as 17-2).
So that's why Tribune still lists a channel 17-2. I've been wondering why it's taken them so long to realize that it doesn't exist, but it seems that for DirecTV users it actually does exist. Very strange.
post #1576 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I am not aware of any current programming on 45 that's actually broadcast in native HD. I'm under the impression that (just like it is with KSTP) all content is either upscaled or downscaled to 720p for broadcast since they lack the ability to rebroadcast syndicated or pre-recorded content in native HD. The Wild games were an exception to the rule because they were a live feed, similar to how KSTP has no problem sending out the live HD feed from ABC with the prime time programming.

none of the syndicated stuff is in HD...just 16:9 so if you're watching the satellite version it cuts off stuff
Heck even the news is digital widescreen (16:9)
post #1577 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

So that's why Tribune still lists a channel 17-2. I've been wondering why it's taken them so long to realize that it doesn't exist, but it seems that for DirecTV users it actually does exist. Very strange.

yup. So Directv can use those listings for that channel. Why they dont have it as 2-2 is confusing.
post #1578 of 2124
Hubbard Broadcasting shut down KSAX's Alexandria news operations without warning today following a 25 year run:

http://www.echopress.com/event/article/id/95706/group/homepage/

According to the article a "small local presence" will remain in Alexandria, but CBS said the same thing when KCCO's Alexandria newscasts were discontinued about a decade ago. They actually did operate tiny bureaus in St. Cloud and Brainerd for a couple of years, but those later closed as well, and today KCCO and KCCW are complete satellites of WCCO.

If there is an upside to the news today, OTA viewers in the KSAX and KRWF viewing areas may soon be able to get ABC in HD. The digital signals of the two stations have been broadcasting in 4:3 480i since the transition from analog, but if an identity separate from KSTP is not going to be maintained anymore, the stations could be set up to just pass-through the original stream from KSTP, which is of course in HD. Cable and satellite viewers in the area have generally not been affected by this problem, as their providers have offered KSTP in HD, relegating KSAX to the SD tier that I imagine is seeing fewer and fewer viewers due to the proliferation of HDTVs.

KSAX this evening was continuing to play separate commercials and IDs from KSTP, but there were no local news inserts. Now, the only regular newscasts in the vast Twin Cities market that don't originate in the Twin Cities will be those at 10 PM on Lakeland Public Television.
post #1579 of 2124
wonder if they'll add MeTV or Antenna TV as a subchannel...or even better make it HD (ksax)!!!
post #1580 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

wonder if they'll add MeTV or Antenna TV as a subchannel

Why would they do that? The local translators all carry KSTC already, it would be straight up duplication.

- Trip
post #1581 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Why would they do that? The local translators all carry KSTC already, it would be straight up duplication.
- Trip

why not? There are people who are further away from Alex and have issues with the Selective TV translators
Duplicating it on 42 which is at 80kw would give a bigger audience than on the 1kw Selective TV translator
post #1582 of 2124
As of Today, Tribune has added 43-1 (HSN) to our listings and removed the now defunct 45-5.
post #1583 of 2124
I noticed that this morning, glad they finally got HSN programming information rolleyes.gif
On a different note, does Tivo have listings for analog 13, Univision? I don't watch Univision but did notice it's the only analog left in our market, while according to a post in another thread they just got Univision HD.....I might watch it if it were HD but never analog tongue.gif
post #1584 of 2124
Tivo does in fact have listings for analog 13, but as you might expect, the program names and descriptions are entirely in Spanish. I tune it in once in a while just to visually gauge how bad the TV signals are being bounced around in different weather conditions.
post #1585 of 2124
Bad new for those of us that rely on Clear QAM Unencrypted Cable for basic local HD channels. Comast is one step closer to encrypting everything and requiring all customers to use a converter box on every TV!

http://www.multichannel.com/article/486581-Comcast_Boxee_Hammer_Out_Crypto_Deal.php
post #1586 of 2124
I can see getting rid of the atrocious looking analogs but how much bandwidth do a few locals take up frown.gif
Now get rid of a few of those shopping or religious channels and we can talk about saving bandwidth biggrin.gif
Of course my guess is bandwidth has less to do with it than controlling exactly how many devices have access to the signal wink.gif
Glad for the most part I'm OTA only tongue.gif
post #1587 of 2124
awesome night for tropo here near Mistake Lake.

Was trying to get WPT from either Menomonie or RIver Falls and ended up with Duluth!!

Around midnight I was able to log 6 (RF19),8 (8), and 21 (17) nice and stable. Before I had a chance to take pics 21 signed off for the night and 8 got real spazzy. 6 (RF19) was fine for 2 hours. Couldnt lock 10 and wont ever get 3 as they are on RF33 and Mpls has that 3ABN translator on it450450
post #1588 of 2124
well on 5-7

Bye Bye slate of what channel is where
Hello Live Well Network
post #1589 of 2124
I too noticed programming on 5.7 today, glad it's only 480i, judging from what I've seen I'll probably never watch it. Kind of reminds me of a similar channel that use to be on one of the 41s I think LIFE or something like that, I never really watched that channel either......I remember they had like a 6hr rotation and would repeat programs over and OVER and OVER again!
Oh, what a rather obnoxious station bug on LWN, could it get any bigger rolleyes.gif
post #1590 of 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I too noticed programming on 5.7 today, glad it's only 480i, judging from what I've seen I'll probably never watch it. Kind of reminds me of a similar channel that use to be on one of the 41s I think LIFE or something like that, I never really watched that channel either......I remember they had like a 6hr rotation and would repeat programs over and OVER and OVER again!
Oh, what a rather obnoxious station bug on LWN, could it get any bigger rolleyes.gif

I agree. The bug is HUGE!

and yeah IonLife is still there on 41-3
Edited by unclehonkey - 7/6/12 at 7:09pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Minneapolis, MN - OTA