or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official R5000-HD Technical Status Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official R5000-HD Technical Status Discussion - Page 84

post #2491 of 2773
After a recent move my office is no longer within a USB cable distance to the main TV room. Is there anyway to use a wireless USB connection from an R5000 box to the PC?
post #2492 of 2773
I currently use an R5000 modded Dish receiver with Sage 6. Will the Sage version of the R5000 software I purchased work with Sage 7 without any R5000 license upgrade?
post #2493 of 2773
You dont have to upgrade anything for your R5000. It all works great for me under sageTV 7 (using a custom sageMC interface).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgschoel View Post

I currently use an R5000 modded Dish receiver with Sage 6. Will the Sage version of the R5000 software I purchased work with Sage 7 without any R5000 license upgrade?
post #2494 of 2773
I'm curious what Motorola DCP501 owners are going to do when Comcast kicks these boxes off their network. I just received a letter from Comcast saying both my 501's stop working mid-june. Its a good thing not all my boxes are 501s or I would have been really pissed.

Now is the time for me to start planning for what devices to get that can replace my R5000 based 501s under sageTV. I can't help but think maybe I would have been better off getting 4 VIP211's.

I'm curious what R5000 based devices people are getting now that R5000 compatible devices are getting very scarce and hard to find; despite if its dishnetwork.. or comcast.
post #2495 of 2773
I've been enjoying my R5000 mod for 3 years now, but due to time and budget constraints, I can no longer justify Dish Network service for what it costs per month. So I cancelled Dish last night, and because my ViP 211 is leased, they want it returned or they will charge me for it. The problem is that I have the R5000 mod inside! Nextcom will charge me $100 to remove the mod, but then what do I do with it?

Is anyone interested in a used (excellent condition) Dish ViP211 with R5000 mod? If someone wants to pay me what Dish will charge me to not return it, I'd rather send it to someone who will use it rather than throw it all away, seems a waste.

-Chris
post #2496 of 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

I'm curious what Motorola DCP501 owners are going to do when Comcast kicks these boxes off their network.

I just bought one of these boxes myself already modded. I was not surprised I got such a good deal because right after I bought the box, I started to see posts like this one. I'm not concerned because even if the box can't be provisioned, I'm just going to transfer it into my QIP2500-3. I already made sure with nextcom this won't be a problem.

I figure the DCP501 would make a decent 5.1 amp and DVD player at the very least, so having the extra hardware around doesn't terribly upset me anyhow. I do however really feel for the people that spent >$200 for this kind of set up. It's truly obnoxious how these cable providers seem to go out of their way to make sure they can get extra monthly fees from anything needed to take full advantage of their service.
post #2497 of 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshutt View Post

I'm not concerned because even if the box can't be provisioned, I'm just going to transfer it into my QIP2500-3. I already made sure with nextcom this won't be a problem.

Can you control the box with SageTV? If not how are you controlling it?
post #2498 of 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Can you control the box with SageTV? If not how are you controlling it?

If you mean with the R5000-HD mod, yes, but of course it only works like this if you buy the SageTV Network Encoder software provided by nextcomwireless.

If you mean without it, yes it can be controlled that way too. I was able to tune via serial, but that port was turned off a few months after I started using it. Now I'm using a USB-UIRT. I can only capture SD from the S-Video port this way however.

I acquired the box thinking I'd probably mod it at some point. I haven't modded the box yet, nor do I know if I will have to mod it.
post #2499 of 2773
The QIP2500-3 is a U-verse STB, is that correct? Back in March I contacted Nextcom and they said there was not going to be any support for U-Verse. Here is the email:


r5000support
to me

Mar 21

Hi,
Sorry, no we don't intend to support U-verse. Thanks for the inquiry.
JD
post #2500 of 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

The QIP2500-3 is a U-verse STB, is that correct?

The Motorola QIP2500-3 is a Verizon FiOS SD box. I don't have any experience in U-Verse STB's. Sorry.
post #2501 of 2773
I have a Dish 211 with the R5000 mod. I haven't used the R5000 for some time. Everything is working OK, except....

I recorded Warehouse 13 using a TitanTV timer this past Tuesday. All I can play back from the file is audio (on either of two systems - Win7 and WinXP). When I did a manual recording from Syfy earlier that day, both audio and video recorded and played back normally.

I'd really like to get the season premiere of Eureka tomorrow, so I need to get this resolved quickly.

Any thoughts?
post #2502 of 2773
Does anyone know if the Dish VIP 625 can be modded?
post #2503 of 2773
Pretty sure it's limited to the 211 (non-k), 411, 622, and 722.
post #2504 of 2773
Thanks. Those models are getting harder to find.
post #2505 of 2773
Anybody try running an R5000 in a VM? ESXi 4.1 now has USB passthrough and I've been trying/hoping to be able to combine my SageTV server and an unRAID server into a common hardware on ESXi. However I've run into the problem that the R5000 is constantly over/underflowing it's buffer resulting in unusable recordings. Oddly my HD PVR works fine.

Any thoughts?
post #2506 of 2773
Hey Stanger89, I saw you post the minute you posted it, but unfortunately I have zero experience with an R5000 driver on a VM. However, IIRC, at while back someone here was pretty upset at the possibility that this wouldnt work; his motivation was something similar since the R5000 software/drivers seem to only work correctly for local drives; not mapped drives.

Sorry I cant answer your question, but I didnt want you to think that nobody here listens or cares anymore.

I dont want to get your hopes up, but there is someone on here who has written a R5000 DVR app replacement which might work for you if its not related to the driver itself causing the bufferoverflows/underuns. I'm trying to get his attention right now for a separate issue in my next post. I also emailed him as well. His name is Hugo.

-Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Anybody try running an R5000 in a VM? ESXi 4.1 now has USB passthrough and I've been trying/hoping to be able to combine my SageTV server and an unRAID server into a common hardware on ESXi. However I've run into the problem that the R5000 is constantly over/underflowing it's buffer resulting in unusable recordings. Oddly my HD PVR works fine.

Any thoughts?
post #2507 of 2773
Hi Fellow R5000 users! I currently have 4 R5000 based cableTV boxes. Two of them are DCT6200s and two of them are DCP-501s. They all seem to work great under Vista32. Except I'm running into a problem.


Pretty regularly, when I change to a channel or watch live TV (via SageTV) from a random cablebox (doesn't matter which modem/brand). I will see a longer than normal pause, then I will see streamed video/audio from the last channel that box was tuned on from a previous recording. No matter what channel I change to, that random box will just pause (like its changing the IR channel), then just stream the same channel it was on. The only way I know how to stop this is to unplug the cablebox and replug it back in (there's probably an easier way to do it). This doesnt have to do with IRtiming; as I dont think IR commands are even making it to the box; or at least the box is not responding to IR request anymore.


I have already replaced two different USB hubs just in case I had a bad hub. But they basically wont prevent from a random cablebox to get stuck in it's IR receiving capabilities.

At least I know it's very unlikely that its a hardware issue; or, it would be just one problematic box only.


I don't know if this matter, but if I look closely at R5000 DVR app (3.1D latest multi-version with sageTV addon), it looks like its still actively recording a 2 hour TV show (that was over 15 hours ago! The "Program Length" counter shows 15h43m and on going... See below snapshot.


I realize that the latest R5000 DVR app should always be connected to the cablebox; but it sounds like somehow, the IR communication gets locked up. Streaming, however is fine.


Is this because of poor programming? Or, possibly, I am running a little low on available system resources when this happens? I tried sending an email to R5000 support, but I don't think they will help me or give me any good advice.


Thanks so much for any helpful suggestions or better yet, if someone has seen this kind of behavior before using the new software.
-Michael


post #2508 of 2773
MKANET, I'm currently still using 3.0c multi with Sage and I've noticed this same behaviour randomly on both of my starchoice boxes, usually about once a month, but sometimes more. The only way to get it unstuck that I've tried is to unplug/replug the reciever like you say.

On another issue, something I have happening randomly too with sage is partway through a recording the video seems to speed up without audio for a few seconds and then go back to normal and then speed up again and repeat this until the end of the file. If I try to skip ahead it just jumps back on the time line. It becomes unwatchable and I've tried using something like mpegrepair or video redo but neither of them seem to fix the file. I'm using sage 7.0.16 btw and I've had this issue even back in v6 and with prior versions of r5000 but it's come and gone randomly.
post #2509 of 2773
I am being optimistic. There is supposedly a fix for this from the same person who brought us the "proxy app" which forced the DVR app to behave since it sat between the DVR app and sageTV. He said he has an app that takes care of this issue and other issues related to buffer over/underruns... so stanger89 if you're listening, you might be a perfect candidate for this. If this app turns out to work perfectly as advertised, he is planning on selling it as a reasonably priced shareware to replace the DVR app (along with the latest driver that you can install).

He said he was going to send me this alpha-stage app two days ago, but never heard from him again. Not sure if he's going all the way by adding a gui or adding multi-device support or not. I suggest all you guys trying to make your R5000 work on a virtual machine, have weird underun/overrun errors to keep a very close eye in the next few days or so (if Hugo comes through). Its kind of sad that the R5000 developer is one of those guys who thinks juist because it works find on his machine, there is nothing wrong with their software.

More later...
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotguy7ca View Post

MKANET, I'm currently still using 3.0c multi with Sage and I've noticed this same behaviour randomly on both of my starchoice boxes, usually about once a month, but sometimes more. The only way to get it unstuck that I've tried is to unplug/replug the reciever like you say.

On another issue, something I have happening randomly too with sage is partway through a recording the video seems to speed up without audio for a few seconds and then go back to normal and then speed up again and repeat this until the end of the file. If I try to skip ahead it just jumps back on the time line. It becomes unwatchable and I've tried using something like mpegrepair or video redo but neither of them seem to fix the file. I'm using sage 7.0.16 btw and I've had this issue even back in v6 and with prior versions of r5000 but it's come and gone randomly.
post #2510 of 2773
FWIW, I only need one device but I'd definitely be willing to experiment.
post #2511 of 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotguy7ca View Post

On another issue, something I have happening randomly too with sage is partway through a recording the video seems to speed up without audio for a few seconds and then go back to normal and then speed up again and repeat this until the end of the file. If I try to skip ahead it just jumps back on the time line. It becomes unwatchable and I've tried using something like mpegrepair or video redo but neither of them seem to fix the file. I'm using sage 7.0.16 btw and I've had this issue even back in v6 and with prior versions of r5000 but it's come and gone randomly.


I see the same behavior once in a while when playing back files using a Popcornhour 110. Most of my recordings are from MPEG 2 channels. These will play OK on using a MYHD card except beyond the point where the problem first occurs, skip forward will not work correctly. So at least I can watch the program.
John
post #2512 of 2773
Okay, I just recent bought an Android HTC EVO. I love it, 4G speeds work great near my work,

I currently have 4 R5000 based cableboxes. Only two of them have component out/DVI out. My R5000 cableboxes are very active; with no set schedule since they primarily record premium movies and series.

Since sageTV's mobile TV app is at best in alpha stage; I cant even get it to work after spending a week on it; later finding out that the best I can hope for is checking/altering my schedule and use my phone as a remote control for all my sageTV clients; which there's already a better, free app for that.

Anyway, Im not sure what would happen if I were to hook up a Slingplayer HD to the component out of one of my R5000 cableboxes controlled by sageTV. Has anyeone tried this; or a concept similar to this? Im not sure what would happen if i was watching a streamed tv show on my phone; and all of a sudden sageTV changes the channel to record something.

I already have an 8 way cable TV tuner splitter (using all its connections?), so, I dont have room to add yet another cable box dedicated to slingbox.

Do you guys have any suggestions that doesnt involve any major configuration changes?

Doesnt Comcast have a DVR app in the works to stream tv to an android phone? Its really too bad that sageTV doesnt have placeshifter for android phones. That would be the ultimate. But for whatever the reason, even after years of begging, that has not happened.
post #2513 of 2773
Does anybody have Windows Media Center working? I had read that R5000 Supported Windows XP MCE and vista x32 WMC, but I just had the most frustrating conversation with a R5000 HD technical support. See transcript below:
Quote:
Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]>
________________________________________
Windows 7 Media Center
11 messages
________________________________________
Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]> Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:26 PM
To: r5000support@nextcomwireless.com

Hi, I purchased the R-5000 VIP 211 premod last year.

I'm loving it so far, but now I'm thinking of reprovisioning my Quad-Core PC to become a home theater PC running Windows 7 x64.

My question is this: Do I need to purchase a special version of this software, or can I use the standard drivers to work with Windows Media Center edition?

Thanks so much for your time,

-Matt [redacted]

________________________________________
r5000support Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:42 AM
To: Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]>

Hi,

I'm not sure if you're asking if WMC functionality is supported or if you can use the R5000-HD with a Win 7 x64 Media Center edition PC. The answer to WMC support is no, it is not supported, but to install and use the R5000 on a Media Center edition PC is the same as any other. Just download and run the installer for the appropriate package, in your case the Vista/Win7 x64 bundle.

Win 7 does supply as standard, software decoders for H.264 video so you can play any ViP211 HD recordings without adding anything special -just launch them with WMP or WMC. However, the R5000 USB driver and DVR app has to be loaded from our installation package. Thanks,

JD
[Quoted text hidden]

________________________________________
Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]> Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:46 AM
To: r5000support


ohh, I was grossly mistaken then, I was under the impression that you supported it as a tuner in Windows Media Center (a'la sage tv) and was wondering if, like sageTV, there was an upcharge for that software. I could have sworn when I bought this, I read something about it being supported in Media Center, and the underlying software would also record raw streams so the recordings weren't locked down to the encrypted media center format.

back to the drawing board, i suppose. I was planning to use WMC with a WMC Extender in another room. I'm not sure if SageTV offers something similar...will have to look into that.

At any rate, thanks for getting back to me, I do appreciate it.

-matt
[Quoted text hidden]

________________________________________
Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]> Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM
To: r5000support

so I'm seeing instructions on how to set up the R5000 as a tuner in MCE here: http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000...ual_setup1.htm
So did you mean to say that you only support XP MCE and not Win7 Media Center?
[Quoted text hidden]

________________________________________
r5000support Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:01 PM
To: Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]>

Where is that link on our website?
[Quoted text hidden]

________________________________________
Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]> Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM
To: r5000support

http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000...ual_setup1.htm
http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000...nual_setup.htm

If it works with XP MCE only, then I can work with that, but I'd prefer win7 mce.
[Quoted text hidden]

________________________________________
Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]> Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM
To: r5000support

I'm not entirely sure where it's linked from the main page, but here's the page from which the previous two were linked:
http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000...mce_manual.htm

Introduction
The MCE version of the R5000-HD DVR supports the Windows® Media Center Edition (XP and Vista 32). In addition to the special version of the DVR app, a set of drivers is installed providing a fully integrated Media Center tuner. The new software impersonates an NTSC tuner/capture device whereby the R5000-HD device is installed as a connection to the imaginary S-VHS or composite input. Now, full advantage can be taken of the integrated guide and scheduling features of Media Center while still producing the same high-quality HD (and SD) streams.

the emphasized portion is what I'm after.
[Quoted text hidden]

________________________________________
r5000support Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM
To: Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]>

Yeah, but where did you get that link from?? Where can you get to that from our site?
[Quoted text hidden]

________________________________________
Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]> Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM
To: r5000support

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=R5000+Media+Center
[Quoted text hidden]

________________________________________
Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]> Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM
To: r5000support

(BTW I didn't mean that in a snarky sort of way, but yes, I did just search for "R5000 Media Center" in google and 3 of the 4 top results are the links I referred to.
[Quoted text hidden]

________________________________________
r5000support Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM
To: Matthew [redacted] <[redacted]>

Hi,

These are obviously old, outdated links. Anything current will be referenced on our site, for example WMC support. I can't speak to what was experimented with 2 or 3 years ago with XP but trust me there is no support for it now. All you would have to do is look at what software is referenced from our support page.

Thanks
[Quoted text hidden]

________________________________________


Let me repeat that last part (with emphasis this time):
Quote:
Hi,

These are obviously old, outdated links. Anything current will be referenced on our site, for example WMC support. I can't speak to what was experimented with 2 or 3 years ago with XP but trust me there is no support for it now. All you would have to do is look at what software is referenced from our support page.

"ObviouslY". Like I'm some kind of idiot. I bought this dang thing under the impression that sometime down the line, I could build a HTPC and integrate this as a WMC tuner. Now I'm told that the information I had is "obviously" an old, outdated link, simply because they don't link to that particular support page from their main page. "All I would have to do" is look at their software support page and see that it's not listed, so instead, being the idiot that I clearly am, i googled it, found pages hosted on nextcomwireless' very own webpage, called them on it, but, NO, I'm clearly the moron in this picture.

I just had to vent about this, because I'm incredibly frustrated. This knucklehead really rubbed me the wrong way.

[/rant]
post #2514 of 2773
Suck it up and go Sagetv.

I know giving nextcomwireless more of your $$$ will leave a bad taste is your mouth..............but R5000HD and Sagetv works great together.

I think I'm going on 4-5 years of trouble free use.

Good luck
post #2515 of 2773
I actually chose sageTV over Microsoft Media Center before I even had R5000 tuners. SageTV is superior in many different way; especially if you have more than one room that you want to watch TV. I also have 5+ years of trouble free use. Never missed a recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post

Suck it up and go Sagetv.

I know giving nextcomwireless more of your $$$ will leave a bad taste is your mouth..............but R5000HD and Sagetv works great together.

I think I'm going on 4-5 years of trouble free use.

Good luck
post #2516 of 2773
I might have to do just that. I had some plans to share the media center around the house with the Linksys DMA2100, because the 'good computer' is occasionally used for other projects. I may have to fashion a low-budget HTPC to dedicate to this project only. (obviously that's the ideal situation anyway, but I thought i could cut corners and let the one PC be a media center "most of the time" and a photo and video editing workstation "the rest of the time")
post #2517 of 2773
I wonder: Has anybody messed with the Acer Revo? Seems like it might be the perfect solution to my problems, if i can get SageTV working on it--cheap, compact, low-power, etc.
post #2518 of 2773
I don't know about Sage but I have two R5000's connected to a 1.66 GHz. netbook that record OK simultaneously with playback to a Popcorn Hour.
John
post #2519 of 2773
IMHO, I don't think the DMA2100 is comparable to the new sageTV 7 + (SageTV HD Theater 300) extenders can do; even without the R5000s tied in. But, I guess, everyone's taste, priorities, opinions are different. You should definitely not feel like you have to resort to using sageTV just because of the R5000s; especially if you want extender functionality. It's really a win-win situation. Just ask any recent sageTV user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post

I might have to do just that. I had some plans to share the media center around the house with the Linksys DMA2100, because the 'good computer' is occasionally used for other projects. I may have to fashion a low-budget HTPC to dedicate to this project only. (obviously that's the ideal situation anyway, but I thought i could cut corners and let the one PC be a media center "most of the time" and a photo and video editing workstation "the rest of the time")
post #2520 of 2773
I'm actually looking into getting one of those Acer Revos, probably the higher-end version, and setting that up as the main SageTV box in the living room, and then I can try out an extender later on down the road if I want. The only reason I was going to go with MCE+ extenders is because the "fast" computer is in another room, set up as a video editing/photo editing workstation, and I didn't want to move it to the living room. I already have a satellite feed in the other room as well so it would be easier to move my VIP211 into the other room and use an extender in the living room.

But I think the Revo/SageTV box will be a great alternative. Now I just need to read up until i feel I understand sageTV properly. I am getting some confusing things about networks and server/client functinality and all that. Gotta do my reading. Thanks for the replies!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official R5000-HD Technical Status Discussion