or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Phoenix, AZ - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Phoenix, AZ - HDTV - Page 356

post #10651 of 10856
I read Ganette the owner of 12 is going to buy out Belo owner of 3 and 61. I wonder how that is going to shake out. I think they will have to sell one of the stations because of the two station limit. If they keep channel 3 I'd imagine most of the channel 3 newsroom would be eliminated.
post #10652 of 10856
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

I read Ganette the owner of 12 is going to buy out Belo owner of 3 and 61. I wonder how that is going to shake out. I think they will have to sell one of the stations because of the two station limit. If they keep channel 3 I'd imagine most of the channel 3 newsroom would be eliminated.

They are putting 3 & 61 under a third-party owner...I saw the name but I can't remember it right now.
post #10653 of 10856
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

I read Ganette the owner of 12 is going to buy out Belo owner of 3 and 61. I wonder how that is going to shake out. I think they will have to sell one of the stations because of the two station limit. If they keep channel 3 I'd imagine most of the channel 3 newsroom would be eliminated.

This sounds like it will be bad news for Cox and it's customers when it comes time to renew retransmission agreements.
post #10654 of 10856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

They are putting 3 & 61 under a third-party owner...I saw the name but I can't remember it right now.
Quote:
In Phoenix and St. Louis, where Gannett and Belo both have TV stations, Gannett will transfer the ownership of Belo's stations to a new third-party corporate entity run by Jack Sander, a former Belo executive. Sander's entity will run the stations and Gannett will provide limited shared services, according to the company.

Interesting. I wonder how this will affect channel 3 newscasts, if at all?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/06/13/gannett/2418219/
post #10655 of 10856
What do you guys think of this possibly coming to Phoenix?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/29/cox-flarewatch-iptv/
post #10656 of 10856
Thread Starter 
If it does, I'll probably be switching to it. I checked the channel lineup, it's got everything I "need" and 30 hrs DVR is enough for my needs. Channel lineup looks quite a bit like the old Expanded Basic with the addition of a lot of local stuff there in Orange County. Of course, by the time it comes here, there may be changes that I won't like, but I'll sure take a look. I don't even mibd ESPN being in the package because I do watch ESPN2.
post #10657 of 10856
My relatives are in the process of moving to a new house near Kingman, AZ. We have been discussing the possibility of an antenna at that location. There is a bad fire in the Hualapai Mountains where the TV translators are located. I have read on-line news stories about the fire, but no mention of whether the translators are threatened. Does anyone have local information on the situation. I know that in New Mexico when local translators are down TV stations run an occasional crawl across the screen so people who have cable or satellite can tell their OTA neighbors the information.
post #10658 of 10856
I was just up near there last night and had no issues whatsoever. All translators are operating. From what I've been told by a coworker, the fire is down near the base of the mountain; the translators are pretty high up and a great distance from the base.
post #10659 of 10856
That is good to know. Hopefully Arizona will get some rain soon.
post #10660 of 10856
Thread Starter 
Hey, we get rain almost every day this time of year, it just never hits the ground. smile.gif
post #10661 of 10856
QVC has a new OTA home in Phoenix

Ion has added a fifth subchannel to their national network. The QVC home shopping channel will begin airing on channel X.5 soon. In Phoenix, channel 51.5 is present and carries the PSIP title KPPX QVC. QVC formerly aired on KTVP-LD channel 22.2.



Edit: As of Tuesday morning, QVC programming was up and running on channel 51.5.
Edited by dhett - 8/6/13 at 10:39pm
post #10662 of 10856
I moved this topic from the Main Cox thread to the Phoenix thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/608675/cox-hdtv/2010#post_23531923
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post

Received a letter in the mail warning me that Cox will soon migrate select channels to a new technology platform called Switched Digital Video starting August 8, 2013 and that I will need a tuning adapter for my TiVo's before then. Funny I thought I had tuning adapters already attached to my Tivos for the last year and a half. rolleyes.gif. They do give a tally of the SDV channels starting on that date which will be up to 62 channels, 17 of them HD.

The letter also offers a Cox DVR for the price of a CableCard ($1.99) for a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

What part of AZ are you in?

In Phoenix my TA says there are 194 SDV channels currently.

When I had a Cox Tech out a few weeks back, he mentioned that they were adding many more channels to SDV, I disregarded his statement as I thought 194 was quite a few already.

A few weeks ago Cox moved 5 more channels to SDV, totaling 199 SDV Channels

Last night / early morning, Aug 13/14 Cox moved 34 more channels, now totaling 233 channels.

I currently have no idea which channels were moved to SDV. I am investigating.


EDIT 8/15: since this posting the number of SDV channels has dropped to 215.
Edited by Bryan_CoxPHX - 8/15/13 at 6:03pm
post #10663 of 10856
Hi all,

I'm looing into Purchasing the Ceton InfiniTV 4 Cable Card Tuner to use with WMC. I'm currently using WMC with a tuner card for OTA reception, but lately I've had the itch to go back to cox for ESPN and other Channels. Can anyone please give me some feedback on their experience using cox cable and their cable card service and set up. I'm looking to make a decision this week.
post #10664 of 10856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdastas View Post

Hi all,

I'm looking into Purchasing the Ceton InfiniTV 4 Cable Card Tuner to use with WMC. I'm currently using WMC with a tuner card for OTA reception, but lately I've had the itch to go back to cox for ESPN and other Channels. Can anyone please give me some feedback on their experience using cox cable and their cable card service and set up. I'm looking to make a decision this week.

My experience with Cox AZ w/ CableCARDs and SDV Tuning Adapters has been very positive. Cox AZ does a good job at supporting CableCARDs.

Initial Set-up and authorizations and pairing can be frustrating if the first Cox employee does not enter the account codes correctly the first time. If that happens it may require a Tech visit to finally get everything set-up correctly, It really depends on how experienced the phone support tech is when you call in to authorize and pair the CC.
post #10665 of 10856
3 Months ago I swapped a Cable Card and Tuning Adapter from a Tivo HD to a Premiere 4...called Cox's Cable Card Hotline and did the swap in under 2 minutes and have had zero problems since the swap.
Kudos to Cox.
post #10666 of 10856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

My experience with Cox AZ w/ CableCARDs and SDV Tuning Adapters has been very positive. Cox AZ does a good job at supporting CableCARDs.

Initial Set-up and authorizations and pairing can be frustrating if the first Cox employee does not enter the account codes correctly the first time. If that happens it may require a Tech visit to finally get everything set-up correctly, It really depends on how experienced the phone support tech is when you call in to authorize and pair the CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

3 Months ago I swapped a Cable Card and Tuning Adapter from a Tivo HD to a Premiere 4...called Cox's Cable Card Hotline and did the swap in under 2 minutes and have had zero problems since the swap.
Kudos to Cox.

Thanks for the positive feed back. I just ordered the Ceton and I am expecting it to arrive thursday. I called Cox to inquire about their TV packages and the sales rep seemed very knowledgable about CableCard services, though he did state that I would need to still pay for an install since I currently don't have TV service and just internet. If I recall correctly, the hook up fee will be $60.
post #10667 of 10856
I received my new Ceton Infinitv 4 today in the mail. I will be setting up Cox with it in the next few days. My question is does anyone know if Cox will let me do a self install for a cable card? I currently don't have TV service with them as I just canceled DirecTV. Would any of you recommend that I do a self install or should I just pay the $60 and have a tech come out?
post #10668 of 10856
Yes, Cox does allow self installs on CableCards....just did one yesterday on the deactivated TivoHD (going to use it as a cheapo HD receiver for football season). Picked it up at the Bell Rd location in Glendale, called Cox's CableCard Hotline, while waiting on hold the Card and Tuning Adapter did their updating. Once I had a live body, gave the card ID plus Tivo ID and had them paired. Had to do a reboot on the Tivo but once the reboot completed had it up and working. Total time was about 30 min from calling until completed but about 20 min was being on hold, YMMV.
post #10669 of 10856
CableCARD: Know Your Rights

Self-install your CableCARD. Effective August 8, 2011, cable operators must allow self-installation of CableCARDs if they allow self-installation of other equipment, such as digital boxes or cable modems. By November 1, 2011, all cable operators must allow self-installation of CableCARDs. Your operator may decline your request for self-installation if your equipment manufacturer or vendor does not provide you with instructions on how to install a CableCARD and offer a toll-free telephone number for product support. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(1).


BTW along with the tiny little CableCard that will be hidden away in your tuner card you are going to need a tuning adapter. A little warning the tuning adapter is not a small piece of equipment you can hide away. I was surprised of how huge it was. It is about half the size of my TiVo. You will also have to place it were it can be unplugged fairly easily, because you will need to reboot it from time to time. I had to reboot one of mine last week because I had lost all SDV channels.
Edited by kingpcgeek - 8/22/13 at 8:48am
post #10670 of 10856
Glad I don't deal with cable anymore since I cut the cord a while back.

Anyone looking at the new line of Tivo Roamios that were just released a couple of days ago? I'm seriously considering buying the base roamio for an OTA dvr although I'm peeved that its only got 4 tuners instead of the 6 included in the pro and plus versions. Figure if i'm going to pony upwards of $700 that it would include the 2 additional tuners although 4 tuners is probably good enough. Only question I have is regarding the strength of the tuner and how good it'll be. Should I wait for some feedback or dive right in and purchase one as the tivo brand is as good as they come.
Edited by Chere - 8/23/13 at 1:56am
post #10671 of 10856
Thread Starter 

My guess is there will be holiday promotions and I'd wait to see. As far as using it for OTA only, that's pretty expensive, but I believe it is the only 4-tuner OTA DVR on the market, outside of an HTPC. As for Cox, I've had fewer problems with them since 1994 than my neighbors with DirecTV, so I guess I've been lucky. Still got the original 8300 too and never had a service call except when they first installed the internet. I've thought about OTA-only, but I now watch more stuff on cable channels than the networks. Still, with Netflix and Amazon, I could probably survive if I ever needed too. When the 8300 or my current dated 65" HDTV goes, I'll consider a TiVo.

post #10672 of 10856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Glad I don't deal with cable anymore since I cut the cord a while back.

Anyone looking at the new line of Tivo Roamios that were just released a couple of days ago? I'm seriously considering buying the base roamio for an OTA dvr although I'm peeved that its only got 4 tuners instead of the 6 included in the pro and plus versions. Figure if i'm going to pony upwards of $700 that it would include the 2 additional tuners although 4 tuners is probably good enough. Only question I have is regarding the strength of the tuner and how good it'll be. Should I wait for some feedback or dive right in and purchase one as the tivo brand is as good as they come.

I cut the cord about 5-6 months ago and have been craving for some cable channels that I regularly watched like ESPN, Discovery. True some of those channels offer you the ability to go online and stream, but my experience trying to do this is that it is very inconvenient and not every Network offers their shows online. So I decided to go back to pay TV. Before cutting the cord I had DirecTV and now will see how cox does with this cable card. I have an install set up for this coming Wednesday, I called and was able to get the install fee waived as a curtesy and they gave me a month to month promo. My plan is to eventually cut the cord again once football season is over, But then again, I just went an entire DBacks seasons without FSN and listening to the games on the radio was tough, so they me end up keeping me.
post #10673 of 10856
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdastas View Post


I cut the cord about 5-6 months ago and have been craving for some cable channels that I regularly watched like ESPN, Discovery. True some of those channels offer you the ability to go online and stream, but my experience trying to do this is that it is very inconvenient and not every Network offers their shows online. So I decided to go back to pay TV. Before cutting the cord I had DirecTV and now will see how cox does with this cable card. I have an install set up for this coming Wednesday, I called and was able to get the install fee waived as a curtesy and they gave me a month to month promo. My plan is to eventually cut the cord again once football season is over, But then again, I just went an entire DBacks seasons without FSN and listening to the games on the radio was tough, so they me end up keeping me.

May I ask why you didn't just go back to DirecTV? Was it the new TiVo? I've been on the fence for a long time and still am, pretty much waiting now until my DVR or older HDTV dies before making a decision. I have nothing against Cox and based on my neighbor's "after promotion" prices, I still don't see any cost savings in the long run, but I need to check his subscription level to know for sure.

post #10674 of 10856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

May I ask why you didn't just go back to DirecTV? Was it the new TiVo? I've been on the fence for a long time and still am, pretty much waiting now until my DVR or older HDTV dies before making a decision. I have nothing against Cox and based on my neighbor's "after promotion" prices, I still don't see any cost savings in the long run, but I need to check his subscription level to know for sure.
ok well I don't want to make this long winded but here goes...
Monthly billing price and their inability to give me a price point that was competitive enough to trump the ability for me to use my HTPC as my "do everything device." I was out of contract for about 3 years before I decided to disconnect. The reason I originally disconnected is that with a 2yr old in the house and new demands at work I hardly watched TV and I was looking to save on the monthly expense. There are other things that bothered me about DirecTV, including inconsistant bills and no incentives for signing a new contract which I offered to do. Finally with Football season just around the corner, I didn't want to sign a new contract with a new provider and decided that since I had been using my htpc for everything else including watching OTA channels, that I would just rather have a cablecard through Cox and still use WMC.

To answer your question about the packages,

after my promotion price, I Will be paying for a $74/mth for the similar package with DirecTV will be about $85. Now you have to add in the box fees. Cox gives you one unit free, then you pay for the second unit. IIRC DirecTV charges you $6 per box plus dvr service. In my case I just have to pay for the single cablecard which has 4 tuners and I can use WMC extenders such as my xbox360 to watch tv in other rooms.
Edited by jdastas - 8/24/13 at 9:53pm
post #10675 of 10856
Thread Starter 

Thanks for sharing, I'm always curious when people decide not to use DirecTV at some point. The box fees were what always seemed to put me over the top too. That may change though if/when Cox decides to require a box at each TV too. That rumor is always out there. I do have an OTA antenna now and when our daughter moves, we'll really only need service for the main TV, but that's another 1.5 years away.

post #10676 of 10856
Glad to see some positive posts about Cox with cablecards. I quit DirecTV because of the lack of Pac-12 and have enjoyed the cablecard tuners so much that satellite is now not as attractive. I have been using an HD Homerun Prime and a Hauppauge 2650 with Comcast with great results. I will be moving to the Phoenix area in a couple of months and had not heard much about Cox that was positive (I have friends down there and not one of them had anything good to say about them). Not real crazy about having to use the tuner adapters which are just additional unnecessary clutter and especially Cox's decision to label everything copy once which is a problem with WMC. The only reason I have cable/satellite is for sports, mainly college football and basketball and looking at Cox's channel lineups it's going to be much more expensive than with Comcast to get the channels I want, and as usual paying for a ton of crap I don't need/want. It looks like if you don't want a 2-yr contract it's very expensive when internet is included, so that brings Century Link into the picture and they don't overwhelm you with their charm either.

Mainly wondering if the positive comments about Cox are deserved or a case of you don't expect much if you're not used to much?
post #10677 of 10856
Thread Starter 

Trouble with Cox is they gobbled up smaller companies all over the valley over several years and customer satisfaction varies widely. Even though the areas should all be the same with the last big upgrade, the bad taste lingers. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them, especially back in the early 2000's when I knew the CSR manager and was a beta tester for a time. But, my interactions since have been rather limited, so I may not be the best judge. I do have experience with TWC in the Fayetteville NC and Savannah GA area (family) and I will say Cox is much better, but I'm not sure that's saying much. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Comcast for a comparison. My SIL has Century Link for internet and doesn't have problems, but she is not a big user. I don't know if they still offer TV in some parts of town or not, she has DirecTV only because they are partners. IIRC they never had Cox.

 

One thing to note is there are rumors of a possible merger between Cox and Charter, so the picture could change drastically if that happens.

post #10678 of 10856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

My SIL has Century Link for internet and doesn't have problems, but she is not a big user. I don't know if they still offer TV in some parts of town or not, she has DirecTV only because they are partners.

Century Link is going heavy into TV here in the Valley, I'm sure you have seen the commercials for Prism. They are going the total IP route like U-Verse. http://www.centurylink.com/prismtv/#index.html

I personally do not have issues with Cox. I would like my bill $205 bill to be smaller, but who wouldn't? Maybe one more terrestrial competitor will help.
post #10679 of 10856
Thread Starter 

I don't watch commercials and watch very little network TV in the summer, so I haven't seen anything about Prism. Guess I need to check it out. :)

post #10680 of 10856
Dave, I checked out Prism and it looked like it was quite competitive with Cox. With introductory discounts it looks like one could save a bit of money, but that would require bundling and I am not willing to switch to their inferior internet service. Not to mention that it is not available yet where I live.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Phoenix, AZ - HDTV