or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 8

post #211 of 6660
Peter,

There is a very slight lip-sync problem on WVEC-DT. It's been ongoing for awhile. We usually see "it" during All My Children and General Hospital.

This morning, watching "Good Morning America," it was noticable. Also, during the local break, LaSalle Blanks' audio is slightly behind the video.

We're watching on a JVC 61" set, DirecTV HD TiVo...

Checked WAVY-DT and WTKR-DT... no problems...
post #212 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by George Randell

One thing going for us is that the folks are really not as dumb as wood. If they can receive 7 out of 8 DTV channels they usually figure out that there may be something wrong with the one. That's when they call us.

Unfortunately, DTV is more complex than that. So far I've tried 3 different locations in the attic for the antenna. The first only got half the channels. The second didn't pick up Fox well, but most of the others were decent. When Fox started broadcasting HD (and I had my aluminum siding replaced with vinyl), I searched for a new location. The new location is perfect for every channel except for WGNT! However, I think it's unlikely to be your fault...

(I know the best solution is to put the antenna outside, but my wife feels strongly against that solution.)

Bruce
post #213 of 6660
WTKR-DT


I am aware of the problems of Sunday night, "CAT 6". I am still gathering information.

This is what I know: the SD version and the HD version were 16 minutes and 22 seconds apart. The SD version followed the time-line of the NFL game going long. Since the NFL games was not in HD and the HD game finished on time. The HD time-line started at its scheduled time. Because the WTKR-TV (SD) automation controls the HD switching. The HD version was being switched at the wrong time and the automation kept forcing the HD to a SD Upconvert.

This was a WTKR error, not a CBS error.

More as I find it out......
post #214 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by Bruce Lowekamp
...I know the best solution is to put the antenna outside, but my wife feels strongly against that solution...

I think we would see a lot more antennas around if it weren't for our wives . My wife wanted the DirecTV installer to paint the black wires white. There's very little exposed street-side. The four lines run down the back of the house right next to a down spout... I just shook my head...
post #215 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by VARTV
I think we would see a lot more antennas around if it weren't for our wives . My wife wanted the DirecTV installer to paint the black wires white. There's very little exposed street-side. The four lines run down the back of the house right next to a down spout... I just shook my head...

LOL ............ should I tell her that they make white RG6?
post #216 of 6660
Lip-sync issues continue on WVEC-DT daytime. It was so annoying for my wife to watch "The View," she switched over to the DirecTV feed. We all know how the PQ looks on that. No problems with WTKR-DT or WAVY-DT...
post #217 of 6660
No lipsync issues that I could see during "Lost"....
post #218 of 6660
Tried watching CSI-NY tonight and having lots of reception problems. Tried two different DT receivers and two different antennas and the problems were always present. Anybody else notice this? Was it local or network?
Earl
post #219 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by Todd
No lipsync issues that I could see during "Lost"....

Seeing it with their SD content which is odd...
post #220 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by Earl Dunham
Tried watching CSI-NY tonight and having lots of reception problems... Was it local or network?

Did this also happen at 9PM? King of Queens was on...
post #221 of 6660
Observation report: There were significant lip sync problems during Smallville last night on 33-2.
post #222 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by VARTV
Did this also happen at 9PM? King of Queens was on...

Don't know, I didn't watch WTKR-DT till 10:00pm

Earl
post #223 of 6660
I had FOX so clear the past week and the last couple days I've lost it completely. ARGH, my antenna sucks. Anyone want to make some side cash and come help me with my antenna installation! lol seriously though!!! I already have a 4228 with 5 foot mast sitting in my garage, don't have a tall enough ladder to get to the roof. Base mount is on the roof already with a Winegard, I'd imagine I'd just need guy wires. Half the satellite installers in the yellow pages are otu of business now. Isn't there a guy around here that will do it for 150 bucks or so? Used to know a guy named Chuck LAbbe that ran off the wire communications, but his number no longer works. Anyone know this guy?

thanks,

Dale
post #224 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by dkyork
... Isn't there a guy around here that will do it for 150 bucks or so...

thanks,

Dale

What city are you in?
post #225 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by VARTV
What city are you in?

Yorktown VA, about 15-20 mins off the J Clyde Morris exit in Newport News.

Dale
post #226 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by dkyork
Yorktown VA, about 15-20 mins off the J Clyde Morris exit in Newport News.

Dale

Let me see if I can find someone...
post #227 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by VARTV
Let me see if I can find someone...

Thanks Robert, my biggest concern is getting it done before Thanksgiving. Fox and cbs are the two channels I dont' get and those are the football channels! I'm even willing to help even though I'm paying. There is already the base mount on the roof for the other antenna. I'm thinking if I can just find someone with a tall ladder, some eye hooks, guy wires, signal meter and some know how, we could be done w/i an hour easy.

Dale
post #228 of 6660
Well, I hate to say it but these types of frustrations (I still can't get 33) are going to get ugly as the host of new people buying HDTV's try to actually receive HDTV. Those who remember the glory days of OTA analog will be a bit rueful. Those who don't will be really angry.

The last time I checked a cheap widescreen (50 inches or so) cost at least $3k. These and more sets are beginning to sell very well. Some models are back ordered. The folks that are used to nothing but cable are going to be p. o.'d.

This isn't a whine just a glance in the old crystal ball. :-)
post #229 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by robertawillisjr
Well, I hate to say it but these types of frustrations (I still can't get 33) are going to get ugly as the host of new people buying HDTV's try to actually receive HDTV. Those who remember the glory days of OTA analog will be a bit rueful. Those who don't will be really angry.

The last time I checked a cheap widescreen (50 inches or so) cost at least $3k. These and more sets are beginning to sell very well. Some models are back ordered. The folks that are used to nothing but cable are going to be p. o.'d.

This isn't a whine just a glance in the old crystal ball. :-)

When I read this post this morning I went and changed the channel to 33-1 and it popped right on. I then checked the signal strength and it was bouncing between 34 and 45 yet my picture and audio was rock solid. You should be able to pick them up in Hampton even with the reduced power. What kind of antenna are you using?
post #230 of 6660
Peter,

Any word yet whether the Tech-UVA game will be in HD?
post #231 of 6660
Quote:


When I read this post this morning I went and changed the channel to 33-1 and it popped right on. I then checked the signal strength and it was bouncing between 34 and 45 yet my picture and audio was rock solid. You should be able to pick them up in Hampton even with the reduced power. What kind of antenna are you using?

4228 antenna. 33-1 is a once a month viewing event. When it is possible to align the antenna to get a more or less stable signal, most of the other channels are dead. I am in a bad area for OTA reception. One of my neighbors who lived here in pre-cable days recently told me that this was a complaint that many people in the development had for the UHF channels.

I also have and older Samsung 150 receiver which may be a contributer. I am waiting until the 5th generation STB's are out before experimenting anymore.

I am interested in seeing if the additional power will make a difference here.
post #232 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by dkyork
Thanks Robert, my biggest concern is getting it done before Thanksgiving. Fox and cbs are the two channels I dont' get and those are the football channels! I'm even willing to help even though I'm paying. There is already the base mount on the roof for the other antenna. I'm thinking if I can just find someone with a tall ladder, some eye hooks, guy wires, signal meter and some know how, we could be done w/i an hour easy.

Dale

Dale, I called a guy in NN. Just waiting for a return call. I let him know that you would like to get it done before Turkey Day...

By the way, have you tried hooking up a cheap UHF antenna from Radio Shack? I used the one below. I just unscrewed off the FM/VHF antennas (and left the loop UHF). With a little fidgeting around, I was able to get all the DTVs. Getting this antenna higher in your home helps too. I'm 27 miles away from the antennas...

post #233 of 6660
Robertawillisjr,

Don't feel left out...33.2 is not viewable where I live in the Tabb area of York County. I do have some tree issues, however I can get every other station will little or no problems. It really doesn't bother me too much as I have never really watched the WB much anyway!

Gordon
post #234 of 6660
Are any local broadcasters negotiating with USDTV? Sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search of this thread and found nothing. I just bought a digital STB at Walmart and a cheap yagi from RS. With Netflix and a couple more OTA channels and I'd consider dumping Cox. I might miss the Weather Channel during hurricanes though! What stations in Tidewater are Sinclair owned?
post #235 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by Digitude
Are any local broadcasters negotiating with USDTV? Sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search of this thread and found nothing. I just bought a digital STB at Walmart and a cheap yagi from RS. With Netflix and a couple more OTA channels and I'd consider dumping Cox. I might miss the Weather Channel during hurricanes though! What stations in Tidewater are Sinclair owned?

Sinclair Broadcasting Group owns "WB33" WTVZ-TV/DT Norfolk...
post #236 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by VARTV
Sinclair Broadcasting Group owns "WB33" WTVZ-TV/DT Norfolk...

Do any Channel 33 folks lurk here?
post #237 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by Digitude
Do any Channel 33 folks lurk here?

Yep...
post #238 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by VARTV
By the way, have you tried hooking up a cheap UHF antenna from Radio Shack? I used the one below.

BJ's has a preamped VHF/UHF rabbit ears by GE for 20 bucks. A coworker of mine is getting everything in Green Run area with this. Didn't work for me in Ocean Park though. I got only 10-1....and not solid.
post #239 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by Digitude
Do any Channel 33 folks lurk here?

Getting 33-1 and 33-2 here ever since the antenna upgrade with help of Byron. Gotta watch my Smallville in HD.


Dale
post #240 of 6660
Quote:


Originally posted by robertawillisjr
The last time I checked a cheap widescreen (50 inches or so) cost at least $3k.

I think the 50" samsung HD DLP is going for about 3500 dollars. The prices of many widescreens are much lower than that. HD RPTV widescreens are flooding Walmart now at less than $1500 for 47-50 inches. I thought I saw an 800-900 dollar HD RPTV around 42 or 47 inches. What this means to me at least is that even non tech consumers are going to have HD staring them right in the face this xmas and upcoming year. Inevitably I think there is going to be an explosion of Hd viewers very soon. As well as an increase in users of this OTA thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - OTA