or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 222

post #6631 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

Maybe the new owners will some spare in-studio HD cameras hanging around???
I'm still waiting to see if Gannett will do the same thing at WCNC in Charlotte. Their NBC affiliate is the last HD hold out for local news in the Charlotte market. Even the CW station WCCB has very impressive HD news broadcasts, and the new FOX-46 has HD news from WBTV, but is preparing to launch their own newscast next year.
post #6632 of 6660
I have a medium directional antenna about 20' off the ground near Shore Drive in Va Beach. I pick up a lot of the local OTA stations but I can't seem to bring in WBVT channel 43.1. I get WAVY 10.1 just fine. Antennaweb.org shows both transmitters at 23 miles and 255 degrees azimuth. Is WAVY transmit antenna higher on the tower or higher output power or something? What else could be going on here?
Edited by Digitude - 11/25/13 at 1:42pm
post #6633 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

I have a medium directional antenna about 20' off the ground near Shore Drive in Va Beach. I pick up a lot of the local OTA stations but I can't seem to bring in WBVT channel 43.1. I get WAVY 10.1 just fine. Antennaweb.org shows both transmitters at 23 miles and 255 degrees azimuth. Is WAVY transmit antenna higher on the tower or higher output power or something? What else could be going on here?
Is the antenna permanently attached to anything?
post #6634 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

Is the antenna permanently attached to anything?
A twenty foot pole.
post #6635 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

A twenty foot pole.
When I first had my antenna installed in my attic, it was attached to a PVC pipe. I noticed I could get all the stations fine except WAVY. Eventually, I figured out if I just moved the antenna a few feet over I had no issues. The antenna now sits on top of some boxes leaning against a rafter... Can the pole be easily moved?
post #6636 of 6660
The main issue is it is already close to the property line. As a structure it is probably a zoning violation where it sits. Compared to WAVY I'm not getting a weak signal....there is absolutely no signal at all from WBVT. I thought these two were transmitting from the same tower. I guess UHF has mysterious propagation or something.
post #6637 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

The main issue is it is already close to the property line. As a structure it is probably a zoning violation where it sits. Compared to WAVY I'm not getting a weak signal....there is absolutely no signal at all from WBVT. I thought these two were transmitting from the same tower. I guess UHF has mysterious propagation or something.
Yep... something is blocking/interfering with the WVBT signal to your antenna. IF you could move it...
post #6638 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

Yep... something is blocking/interfering with the WVBT signal to your antenna. IF you could move it...
You're probably right. I had fewer problems when it was bolted to my house. I didn't want to punch holes in my new siding so I moved it to a pole attached to my fence. Speaking of blockage, how is it that your roof doesn't block a signal in your attic?
post #6639 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

Speaking of blockage, how is it that your roof doesn't block a signal in your attic?
It's my understanding that putting the antenna in the attic can block up to 50% of the signal. BUT, I'm only 30 miles away from the towers and have no issues with the locals. At times, I'm able to get the Richmond stations here in Virginia Beach...
post #6640 of 6660
I had another ten feet of elevation when the antenna was attached to my house. I could add another ten feet of mast but it would likely sway so much I wouldn't get anything. I don't think my neighbor would appreciate guy wires either! Guess I need to rethink my location. The third floor attic would give me the elevation I need but I'd have a long, messy cable run. Maybe I'll just do without Fox. Its only a backup to Cox anyway.
post #6641 of 6660
Try moving the antenna DOWN the mast in 1' increments to see if a change in elevation changes the signal patterns. For UHF, 6-12" in change is sometimes all it takes.
post #6642 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

Try moving the antenna DOWN the mast in 1' increments to see if a change in elevation changes the signal patterns. For UHF, 6-12" in change is sometimes all it takes.
Great idea! I was thinking left or right but not up or down. Worth the try!
post #6643 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

Try moving the antenna DOWN the mast in 1' increments to see if a change in elevation changes the signal patterns. For UHF, 6-12" in change is sometimes all it takes.
Worth a try. Easier said than done though. I don't think I can reach it with my step ladder. Otherwise I have to drop the mast and start over.
post #6644 of 6660
Lots of things in life are "easier said than done".

Unless lowering the antenna puts the antenna more deeply into a solid shadow-maker, a building, for example, you'll find the signal quality and strength will vary with height. If you're in a suburban area where there are trees but the lower branches have been trimmed, for example, an antenna "down low" might work better than one "up high".
post #6645 of 6660
OTA bandwidth usage around 11:45A on Saturday, December 7:

WTKR/3: 17.62 Mb/s (CBS)
WSKY/4: ~17 Mb/s (IND)
2 Mb/s (unknown)
WAVY/10: ~10 Mb/s (NBC)
5.3 Mb/s (Bounce TV)
WVEC/13: 11-14+ Mb/s (ABC) (reading was taken during football)
2-5+ Mb/s (Live Well Network)
~2 Mb/s (MeTV)
WHRO/15: ~13 Mb/s (PBS)
2.6 Mb/s (World)
1.85 Mb/s (Kids)
WTPC/21: 5.8 Mb/s (TBN)
4.1 Mb/s (The Church Channel)
3.25 Mb/s (JCTV)
2.9 Mb/s (Enlace)
2.1 Mb/s (Smile Of A Child)
WVAD/25: 12.8 Mb/s (Daystar)
6.09 Mb/s (unknown)
WGNT/27: 14.35 Mb/s (CW)
3.15 Mb/s (Antenna TV)
WTVZ/33: 13.2 Mb/s (MNT)
3.06 Mb/s (unknown)
2.33 Mb/s (Zeus Country)
WVBT/43: 14.65 Mb/s (FOX)
4 Mb/s (unknown)
WPXV/49: 8.8 Mb/s (ION)
2.4 Mb/s (Qubo)
2 Mb/s (ION Life)
1.75 Mb/s (ION SHOP)
1.2 Mb/s (QVC)
0.9 - 1 Mb/s (HSN)

Notes: The PQ on 49-6 (HSN) is BETTER than HSN's own digital translator on channel 14. WVEC: When college football "action" was being shown, the bandwidth shot up to around 14.65 Mb/s.
post #6646 of 6660
Just now seeing these stats, no wonder WAVY looks so bad compared to the other locals.....
post #6647 of 6660
I also meant to check during Sunday Night Football to see if they "change" the settings. Was surprised to see the main channel that low and Bounce being that high...
post #6648 of 6660
Hi all, I got some help via this thread a few years ago (guess this is a long-lived thread). Back then I bought a small Toshiba flatscreen and a very cheap GE powered set of rabbit ears, and I've gotten great reception for all the local channels I'm interested in.

Recently however I've tried a larger flatscreen model by Sharp which didn't get many of the same channels, even with the same antenna, nor with a couple other indoor antennas I've tried. I recently got a Sony from Walmart, and it pulls a few more channels than the Sharp did, but still not as many as my older Toshiba, again with the same antenna.

So I'm assuming different brands/models vary in the quality of reception capability. (?) Should I just go with another Toshiba, or is still just a crapshoot according to the model? Or maybe larger TVs have a more difficult time with pulling stations out of the air? Is there a brand or model that is known to have better OTA reception capabilities?

Thanks for any help or advice.
post #6649 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpf View Post

Hi all, I got some help via this thread a few years ago (guess this is a long-lived thread). Back then I bought a small Toshiba flatscreen and a very cheap GE powered set of rabbit ears, and I've gotten great reception for all the local channels I'm interested in.

Recently however I've tried a larger flatscreen model by Sharp which didn't get many of the same channels, even with the same antenna, nor with a couple other indoor antennas I've tried. I recently got a Sony from Walmart, and it pulls a few more channels than the Sharp did, but still not as many as my older Toshiba, again with the same antenna.

So I'm assuming different brands/models vary in the quality of reception capability. (?) Should I just go with another Toshiba, or is still just a crapshoot according to the model? Or maybe larger TVs have a more difficult time with pulling stations out of the air? Is there a brand or model that is known to have better OTA reception capabilities?

Thanks for any help or advice.
Can you get the main (big) channels (virtual #s)? 3, 10, 13, 15, 27, 33, 43 and 49? Next would be channels 4 and 21...
post #6650 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

Can you get the main (big) channels (virtual #s)? 3, 10, 13, 15, 27, 33, 43 and 49? Next would be channels 4 and 21...

Thanks for the response. Actually 13.1, 13.2, 13.3 were not getting picked up at all, even in the setup scan, and a lot of others were intermittent. Today I tried a Mofu Leaf "Ultimate" and getting everything pretty solid now, so I guess my problem is solved.

I'm still curious if there's a wide range of reception capability among brands of TVs though. I'm guessing many of them cut corners on the quality of these components since most people don't use OTA?
post #6651 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpf View Post

Thanks for the response. Actually 13.1, 13.2, 13.3 were not getting picked up at all, even in the setup scan, and a lot of others were intermittent. Today I tried a Mofu Leaf "Ultimate" and getting everything pretty solid now, so I guess my problem is solved.

Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpf View Post

I'm still curious if there's a wide range of reception capability among brands of TVs though. I'm guessing many of them cut corners on the quality of these components since most people don't use OTA?

We have Sammys throughout the house. I'm guessing they have pretty much the same tuner in each set.

Reception between brands/units is big. Found that out on the radio side. I gave up (gave away) a really good HD Radio radio for a much more inferior tuner in an expensive A/V unit.
post #6652 of 6660
Do you feel like Samsungs are generally pretty decent in the reception dept.?
post #6653 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpf View Post

Do you feel like Samsungs are generally pretty decent in the reception dept.?
I don't know... Have nothing else to compare them to...
post #6654 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpf View Post

Do you feel like Samsungs are generally pretty decent in the reception dept.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

I don't know... Have nothing else to compare them to...
Tuners sure do vary. I have a Panasonic plasma from 2006 that is pretty much useless for OTA without a lot of fiddling every time you want to change the channel. I have another Panny plasma from 2010 that has a very good tuner. I have a Vizio LED a few years old with an awesome tuner and a Westinghouse LED with a tuner just a little better than the older Panasonic. The Mohu Leaf Ultimate makes a great deal of difference on all the TV's, it seems to make up for the shortcomings of the tuners.
post #6655 of 6660
The newer Panasonic plasmas since around 2010 do indeed have very good tuners. And most Samsung TVs have good tuners also. But there is also an issue with how the layout of the TV panel and the main board is designed. If the power supply is too close to the tuner, then too much electrical noise may be generated and interfere with OTA reception. If the tuner is not well isolated from electrical noise, then the TV itself will create interference. I have this problem with one Samsung TV, but have never had this problem with several other Samsungs.
post #6656 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The newer Panasonic plasmas since around 2010 do indeed have very good tuners. And most Samsung TVs have good tuners also. But there is also an issue with how the layout of the TV panel and the main board is designed. If the power supply is too close to the tuner, then too much electrical noise may be generated and interfere with OTA reception. If the tuner is not well isolated from electrical noise, then the TV itself will create interference. I have this problem with one Samsung TV, but have never had this problem with several other Samsungs.

Interesting. You'd think this would be a design consideration, but I guess not.
post #6657 of 6660
So what other kinds of things interfere with OTA reception? I've noticed the quality of my reception can vary a lot--I can have all channels solid, then another time I will need to move the Leaf again, etc.
post #6658 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpf View Post

So what other kinds of things interfere with OTA reception? I've noticed the quality of my reception can vary a lot--I can have all channels solid, then another time I will need to move the Leaf again, etc.

A trip through the archives of this thread will reveal that there are many things which could possibly cause interference. I have many trees and a bit of wind will trash some channels. Rain, snow, thermals, location, etc.

IIRC having a tall and good outside antenna helps a lot.
post #6659 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

... I thought these two were transmitting from the same tower. I guess UHF has mysterious propagation or something.
They are on the same tower. there's at least 3 antennae on the very top. Actually WAVY and WVBT are both on UHF (WAVY is physically on channel 31; WVBT on 29. You might try changing antenna height/azimuth slightly to see if that helps.
post #6660 of 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4JGC View Post

They are on the same tower. there's at least 3 antennae on the very top. Actually WAVY and WVBT are both on UHF (WAVY is physically on channel 31; WVBT on 29. You might try changing antenna height/azimuth slightly to see if that helps.
Great advice... even the slightest move either left or right, or up or down can be THE difference...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Norfolk, VA - OTA