or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Detroit, MI - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Detroit, MI - HDTV - Page 38

post #1111 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

The $49.99 price is for upgrading existing DIRECTV HD customers. DIRECTV will upgrade the antenna dish system, (switch if required) and all HD STBs. -Robert

Robert, do you know, or could you possibly find out, if DirecTV will require that our old HD STB's be surrendered when we receive the H20 replacements? After all, what use could they possibly have for a bunch of used E86, DTC100, or even H10 boxes? Given a choice, I would like to keep my SAT-HD300 which has good OTA & analog cable tuners, and could be used to update an old TV. In addition, the APG functions if it is connected to a DirecTV dish even though the unit is not activated for D* programming.
post #1112 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitchell24 View Post

Looks like tonights Red Wings game v. the Blues will be in HD on HDNet, per DirecTV...awsome!!! As long as its not blacked out!

It was blacked out for me.
post #1113 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitchell24 View Post

Looks like tonights Red Wings game v. the Blues will be in HD on HDNet, per DirecTV...awsome!!! As long as its not blacked out!

I watched the Wing's/Blues game on HDNet...amazing. Totally different game in HD. I can't believe it wasn't blacked out for me.
post #1114 of 11755
Robert: a question: I now have 3- 24 inch dishes aimed at 3 Directv sats. I get from 90-100 signal strength on nearly all transponders. On new system (mpeg-4) could I just add one more dish and continue in the same? I believe all 'one dish solutions' are somewhat of a compromise. This is quite true (for me) in rain and snow conditions. Also, would it be a good time to sell one (of 2) HD receivers just before this changeover? Do you believe we will have to send in old receiver to get new receiver? And, if so, who would pay shipping for 2 HD receivers, I wonder? Thank you, my friend. By the way, the Zenith HD STB works perfectly and is very sensitive for OTA stations. I have doubts if new receiver will be as good but we shall see (and hear). I just hope a person is able to set up 'favorite channels' as well on new STB. Again, thanks for all the helpful info you offer here.
post #1115 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc View Post

I watched the Wing's/Blues game on HDNet...amazing. Totally different game in HD. I can't believe it wasn't blacked out for me.

WHAT!!!! Do you get HDNet through sat or cable?
post #1116 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu_1 View Post

WHAT!!!! Do you get HDNet through sat or cable?

Through D*. Couldn't believe it wasn't blacked out.
post #1117 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

No offense taken. DIRECTV does not plan on making any announcement. Detroit is the test market for MPEG-4 HD LIL programming and equipment. Upgrades for existing customers will begin by the end of the month and new subscribers will start getting the new systems beginning October 18, 2005.

-Robert


Robert...I had a D* installer over to move my dish the other day. I mentioned the new 5 LNB dish, MPEG-4 etc. He was one of their senior installers/techs and said the local Detroit group via Michigan Microtech hadn't heard anything regarding the new installations or even when the new dishes and receviers were coming in. Is he pulling my chain or has the launch here in Detroit been moved back?
post #1118 of 11755
BAH! Fox Sports Detroit in SD was unbearable.
post #1119 of 11755
I, also, received the Wings' game Thursday nite...exciting game! HDNET from Directv.
post #1120 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSI View Post

New to the group. Hello all. I have sony 4:3 HD ready TV and newly purchased Samsung SIR-T451.

Has anyone been able to get unencrypted or unscrambled QAM HDTV channels from WOW (wide open west) (W.O.W.)? I am able to tune into all the locals with
a radio shack VHF/UHF antenna but not with my basic cable feed. The tuner adds 10 or 11 channels during it's STD Cable scan but there is no video or audio signal after I tune to the channel. I would greatly appreciate others listing their experiences with WOW and QAM capable STB.

I should say that I have basic cable service and I live in Rochester Hills.

Thanks for the replies...

Justin

Any luck with this? I'm looking at getting a QAM/ATSC tuner and don't want to pay the extra $25/month to WOW.
post #1121 of 11755
New question:

Has anyone been successful using a QAM/ATSC tuner with Comcast?

I see reports in the other market threads that everything from Comcast digital seems to be in the clear, along with the HD locals (at minimum)

Can anyone confirm/deny this for the Detroit market?
post #1122 of 11755
I can confirm that you will be able to pull in some of comcast digital channels but not all of them. My sony xbr960 has a built in Qam/atsc tuner and it pulls in alot of the channels even TNT HD and ESPN HD but some of the channels after awhile move to who knows where. I quess comcast is still doing something with there channels but TNT HD and ESPN HD stay the same along with the local HD channels with exception to WB and UPN witch comcast doesn't even carry for some reason.
post #1123 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade View Post

I can confirm that you will be able to pull in some of comcast digital channels but not all of them. My sony xbr960 has a built in Qam/atsc tuner and it pulls in alot of the channels even TNT HD and ESPN HD but some of the channels after awhile move to who knows where. I quess comcast is still doing something with there channels but TNT HD and ESPN HD stay the same along with the local HD channels with exception to WB and UPN witch comcast doesn't even carry for some reason.

Are you a digital cable subscriber?
post #1124 of 11755
yes but it doesn't matter. I can have basic cable and still pull in the same channels with my tv's tuner. Comcast only communicates with their cable box and/or their cable card if you have that.
post #1125 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncD2000 View Post

Robert, do you know, or could you possibly find out, if DirecTV will require that our old HD STB's be surrendered when we receive the H20 replacements? After all, what use could they possibly have for a bunch of used E86, DTC100, or even H10 boxes? Given a choice, I would like to keep my SAT-HD300 which has good OTA & analog cable tuners, and could be used to update an old TV. In addition, the APG functions if it is connected to a DirecTV dish even though the unit is not activated for D* programming.

I do not know if you will need to return your MPEG-2 HD STB. Dealers are not in the loop on the upgrades so I may not be able to find out until the upgrades begin.

Dealers are limited to new activations only. I will have the H20 and Plus dish available for sale to existing customers, but can not participate in the free (actually your cost will be $49.99) upgrade process.

-Robert
post #1126 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

Robert: a question: I now have 3- 24 inch dishes aimed at 3 Directv sats. I get from 90-100 signal strength on nearly all transponders. On new system (mpeg-4) could I just add one more dish and continue in the same? I believe all 'one dish solutions' are somewhat of a compromise. This is quite true (for me) in rain and snow conditions. Also, would it be a good time to sell one (of 2) HD receivers just before this changeover? Do you believe we will have to send in old receiver to get new receiver? And, if so, who would pay shipping for 2 HD receivers, I wonder? Thank you, my friend. By the way, the Zenith HD STB works perfectly and is very sensitive for OTA stations. I have doubts if new receiver will be as good but we shall see (and hear). I just hope a person is able to set up 'favorite channels' as well on new STB. Again, thanks for all the helpful info you offer here.

The MPEG-4 signal is broadcast in the KA frequency band so you would need a dish with a KA LNB and combine the 5 dishes with high frequency combiners and the new KU/KA 6x8 switch. Somewhat complicated configuration and not supported by DIRECTV, but in theory doable.

I would not recommend selling any MPEG-2 HD STB's as DIRECTV will swap out any existing HD boxes that are active on your account.

The original design spec's on the H20 included LG's new 5th generation ATSC chip set. Assuming the final design has not changed we will enjoy a terrific intergraded ATSC receiver. The H20 has a favorites menu.

-Robert
post #1127 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc View Post

Robert...I had a D* installer over to move my dish the other day. I mentioned the new 5 LNB dish, MPEG-4 etc. He was one of their senior installers/techs and said the local Detroit group via Michigan Microtech hadn't heard anything regarding the new installations or even when the new dishes and receviers were coming in. Is he pulling my chain or has the launch here in Detroit been moved back?

I can't understand or answer why he would not know about the MPEG-2/4 upgrade. New activation sales (wait lists are available now) are scheduled to begin on October 18th.

-Robert
post #1128 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

I will have the H20 and Plus dish available for sale to existing customers...

Good to know. Although I haven't heard how ST-only and a la cart subs will be handled with the upgrades, I sort of suspect we'll be the ones shelling out for the new boxes if ST-only subs are allowed to continue, at all.

Doc
post #1129 of 11755
The new DirecTV DVR promotion starts Monday,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=588777
The TiVo-DirecTV Fight Gets Ugly Monday - AVS Forum


(I also have a question, I have been following this thread because of all the DirecTV info being posted by Robert and others, but, would it not make sense to create a different thread for the DirecTV stuff as I think you will end up with a lot of non-Detroit area folks posting and asking questions...just a thought..)
post #1130 of 11755
Please don't create a new thread. I get my HD OTA right now but I'm interested in what D* is doing because I could always switch. I've said all along, whoever can give me the local channels in HD will get my money. Cable, sat, or whatever. Right now my only option is OTA where I live. And it's not very reliable unless I bite the bullet and get a roof antenna.
post #1131 of 11755
I've currently got the D* H10 with the OTA antenna on the roof which works quite well. What would be the incentive for me to go to the upcoming D* MPEG-4 stuff? I would get my locals via the dish that way as opposed to the OTA, but the OTA is free and looks pretty good and isn't subject to rain fade. Will there be more offered with the upgraded receiver and 5-LNB dish than I get now?
post #1132 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinefan99 View Post

Same in Commerce Twp on Comcast. No 5.1 and the commercials were uncomfortably loud.


I have this problem and the audio sync problem on ABC HD programming. Last night Desperate Housewives was out of sync for probably the first 30 minutes of the show.
post #1133 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc View Post

I've currently got the D* H10 with the OTA antenna on the roof which works quite well. What would be the incentive for me to go to the upcoming D* MPEG-4 stuff? I would get my locals via the dish that way as opposed to the OTA, but the OTA is free and looks pretty good and isn't subject to rain fade. Will there be more offered with the upgraded receiver and 5-LNB dish than I get now?

D* has promised eventual delivery of "up to 150 national HD channels" via Ka/MPEG4. The presumption is that the current Ku/MPEG2 system will become SD only at some point.
post #1134 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncD2000 View Post

D* has promised eventual delivery of "up to 150 national HD channels" via Ka/MPEG4. The presumption is that the current Ku/MPEG2 system will become SD only at some point.

Sounds like if the current Ku/MPEG2 becomes SD only at one point, then anyone wanting HD will have to upgrade to the new MPEG-4 equipment.
post #1135 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncD2000 View Post

D* has promised eventual delivery of "up to 150 national HD channels" via Ka/MPEG4. The presumption is that the current Ku/MPEG2 system will become SD only at some point.

100% true. I expect we will begin seeing many new HD channels on DIRECTV's new MPEG-4 KA band by the end of 2006. The first round of upgrades will ad your local networks in HD on your satellite dish.

So for DIRECTV customers who get all of their networks in HD from an OTA antenna the benefits is limited. The new H20 HD STB adds are interactive features, The game MIX channel, The Red Zone Channel, Short Cuts channel and Fantasy football "Super Fan" features.

-Robert
post #1136 of 11755
Robert -

Thanks for you continued input. Do we know which local HD networks will be broadcast over MPEG4?Is it just the big 4, or are UPN/WB/PBS etc. included as well?

Thanks,
Matt
post #1137 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner1 View Post

I have this problem and the audio sync problem on ABC HD programming. Last night Desperate Housewives was out of sync for probably the first 30 minutes of the show.

Yeah, it's back. Last week's Lost and Alias sounded good, but not Sunday night's programming. I guess they've still got some cypherin' to do at WXYZ-DT.
post #1138 of 11755
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post

Robert -

Thanks for you continued input. Do we know which local HD networks will be broadcast over MPEG4?Is it just the big 4, or are UPN/WB/PBS etc. included as well?

Thanks,
Matt

You are very welcome! The 4 networks for sure, but no one at DIRECTV has been able to answer me on the PBS or WB and UPN stations as of yet. However, the OTA ATSC tuner built-into the H20 is excellent. If DIRECTV used the first design they spec'd LG's 5th generation chip set.

-Robert
post #1139 of 11755
Robert: Thanks for answers to my questions above> ..I presume it will be best to get one dish for the 5 satellites instead of 1 dish per 1 sat. Do you happen to know where the 5 sats will be located in the 'sky'. Do you happen to know size of new dish. 3 foot by 2 foot would seem to be about right. I would not want to be one of the first to be changed over; better to let other people try new system first. I will probably wait a few months to changeover after I am asked.
Afterall, I get everything available in HD now plus OTA from 3 markets. Seems I would gain very little at this time to changeover.
post #1140 of 11755
Yes, I recommend when ever possible to use one dish to receive all 5 satellites. The 4 LNB Plus dish will be 24"x 36".

The 5 satellites are located at 99/101/103/110/119 degrees.

-Robert
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Detroit, MI - HDTV