or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Detroit, MI - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Detroit, MI - HDTV - Page 385

post #11521 of 11764
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Anyone else notice the Comcast channel lineup having some tweaks?
with four digits channel numbers seem to be the destination for all high-definition channels....

Any word as to a migration date or this being the permanent home for the high definition channels or if there any other channels that might be added soon...
Hadn't noticed, but that is the case in Ann Arbor. The channels are organized in a logical way. Local channels 2, 4, and 7 are 1002, etc.
post #11522 of 11764
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Anyone else notice the Comcast channel lineup having some tweaks?
with four digits channel numbers seem to be the destination for all high-definition channels....

Any word as to a migration date or this being the permanent home for the high definition channels or if there any other channels that might be added soon...

I was about to say that I'd seen no indication of any major lineup change like that in Westland -- there was no mention of that in my bill. But I took a look for myself, and there they are.
post #11523 of 11764
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Any word as to a migration date or this being the permanent home for the high definition channels or if there any other channels that might be added soon...
I had read a while ago that the HD channels would be moving up to the 1000s, and Comcast would be making the channel numbers the same across the country. I'm seeing the HD channels in the 1000s in Canton on my Tivo, but Tivo hasn't mapped out the channels yet so there's no guide data and the channel labels are kind of funky. Once they get that sorted out, I'll make the switch.
post #11524 of 11764
Thread Starter 
Comcast/Xfinity's own guide, as well as its iOS app, is showing the 1000-series numbers, but TV Guide's data isn't. Until TV Guide starts carrying that data, my EyeTV setup can't use it.
post #11525 of 11764
And it seems to have screwed up my DVR recordings too

Anyone else having this issue?
post #11526 of 11764
WOW the Tigers were sure "bit starved" in HD last night. (Taylor Comcast Digital). The SD version was fine but the HD was like listening to the radio on the Internet...in 1995.
Why was SD good and HD bad? Who could I call to let them know if this happens again. Was it this way for others?
post #11527 of 11764
I had to delete all my series recording aNd write them Down on a piece of paper and then try to find them in the new channel range and set up a new series recording
it's been quite an ordeal
post #11528 of 11764
I like the new numbering scheme! Those accustomed to tuning to specific channel numbers still have that option. Those (like myself) who like to surf no longer have four different clumps of HD channels to worry about; they are all located in one uninterrupted strip.

I also like how the channels are arranged in the new 1000's tier -- local broadcast channels, home shopping, news/weather/business, sports, family/youth, movies, etc. are all clustered together.

It would seem to me mapping the same feed to multiple channel slots on the cable box would not consume any extra bandwidth. In fact, on the majority of channels I viewed yesterday, the HD pic quality seemed to be a bit better than usual.
post #11529 of 11764
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWmetalhead View Post

It would seem to me mapping the same feed to multiple channel slots on the cable box would not consume any extra bandwidth.
That's correct, they're not sending the channel twice. The channel numbers actually have nothing to do with the way the channels are sent down the cable, they're just arbitrary assignments. So all they have to do is have two numbers pointing to one actual channel.
post #11530 of 11764
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Anyone else notice the Comcast channel lineup having some tweaks?
with four digits channel numbers seem to be the destination for all high-definition channels....

Any word as to a migration date or this being the permanent home for the high definition channels or if there any other channels that might be added soon...

This might have something to do with a recent FCC(?) decision to allow cable companies to apply DRM to local channels and Comcast jumped right on it. This means that those who in the past watched local channels without a cable box via direct connection to the TV, will now be required to use a cable box.
post #11531 of 11764
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

This might have something to do with a recent FCC(?) decision to allow cable companies to apply DRM to local channels and Comcast jumped right on it. This means that those who in the past watched local channels without a cable box via direct connection to the TV, will now be required to use a cable box.

Or switch to a cable company that doesn't encrypt their local channels or even their basic cable channels (sent through clear QAM), such as WOW.

Note, I'm not affiliated with WOW in any way. Only a subscriber.
post #11532 of 11764
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

This might have something to do with a recent FCC(?) decision to allow cable companies to apply DRM to local channels and Comcast jumped right on it. This means that those who in the past watched local channels without a cable box via direct connection to the TV, will now be required to use a cable box.
The two things are completely unrelated.
post #11533 of 11764
Project Cavalry end phase has come to (at least part of) Detroit.

At work, all the channels on the analog cable have been replaced by the same graphic stating that the set is not ready if they can see the message, and giving an 877 number to call.
post #11534 of 11764
Any info on Comcast xfinity x1 coming to our area?
post #11535 of 11764
Anyone notice "Movies! Channel Coming Soon" on WJBK-DT2 (Fox 2) channel 2.2?
At least this is what TitanTV has in their listings.

I've never heard of the channel.
post #11536 of 11764
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuraidog View Post

Anyone notice "Movies! Channel Coming Soon" on WJBK-DT2 (Fox 2) channel 2.2?
At least this is what TitanTV has in their listings.

I've never heard of the channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movies!

I just can't get enough of that Moving Line on 2.2's color bars tongue.gif
post #11537 of 11764
With this many channels that are available on OTA now, it almost feels like getting cable for free. I love it.
post #11538 of 11764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuraidog View Post

With this many channels that are available on OTA now, it almost feels like getting cable for free. I love it.

And, to make you feel like you never left cable, most of the sub-channel commercials are for the same dreck that's advertised on the cable channels....
post #11539 of 11764
I agree. I remember when cable was awesome. You'd get so many channels with no commercials. When cable first came to my neighborhood in the 70's, the angle they promoted to get customers to purchase TV content was the commercial-free programming. Obviously, that no longer applies. Now, you get the privilege of paying for your TV content and watching all of the commercials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

And, to make you feel like you never left cable, most of the sub-channel commercials are for the same dreck that's advertised on the cable channels....
post #11540 of 11764
is there anything special i need to do to tune in CBET in royal oak? i just moved my antenna (antennas direct clearstream 2, on the roof) to facing slightly south by southeast and neither of my tuners pick it up at all. my one tuner only has the virtual channel (9.1), but my other tuner shows both the real channel and the virtual channel. i get nothing on either 9 or 35, and nothing else comes up as 9.1. tvfool doesn't have CBET at all, but the CBC's coverage map shows i should have plenty of signal. before moving my antenna it was facing south by southwest and i got great reception on all the southfield and detroit channels.

is it antenna positioning? antenna hardware? user error? no rain dance?

thanks!
robb.
post #11541 of 11764
robb,

CBET transmits on VHF channel 9. If you have the "original" UHF-only ClearStream 2, you need to order the VHF upgrade for your antenna to have a shot at CBET. See http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/ClearStream2-VHF-Reflector-Assembly.html

If you already have the C2V, then you'll need a stronger antenna that focuses on VHF channels 7-13.
post #11542 of 11764
i do not have the 2V; i'm reasonably certain i installed my antenna before the 2V was available. thanks! i will fix it and commence watching HNIC.
post #11543 of 11764
Thread Starter 
WJBK 2.2 has now started the Movies! channel. Well, I think it officially starts on Memorial Day; today, it's carrying continuous promos.
post #11544 of 11764
Yes. It is up and running. Watching it today. So far, it seems like it will be a nice addition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreini View Post

WJBK 2.2 has now started the Movies! channel. Well, I think it officially starts on Memorial Day; today, it's carrying continuous promos.
post #11545 of 11764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

robb,

CBET transmits on VHF channel 9. If you have the "original" UHF-only ClearStream 2, you need to order the VHF upgrade for your antenna to have a shot at CBET. See http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/ClearStream2-VHF-Reflector-Assembly.html

If you already have the C2V, then you'll need a stronger antenna that focuses on VHF channels 7-13.

Hey Detroiters, Mike from Toronto here (disclosure: I'm originally from SW Ont. and spent a good deal of time in your city). Question - is CBET Windsor (aka CBC HD) available on any Michigan cable services? Or do you have to get it over the air? Curious about how popular CBET is when the Red Wings games are televised on there.

Thanks!
post #11546 of 11764
It's popular
All cable systems carry it, most carry it in HD (uverse is SD ONLY)
SATTELLITE carriers are not allowed to carry
post #11547 of 11764
Quote:
Originally Posted by el gran chico View Post

Hey Detroiters, Mike from Toronto here (disclosure: I'm originally from SW Ont. and spent a good deal of time in your city). Question - is CBET Windsor (aka CBC HD) available on any Michigan cable services? Or do you have to get it over the air? Curious about how popular CBET is when the Red Wings games are televised on there.

Thanks!

CBC HD is "in the clear" on Comcast, and as I've recently suspended my DirecTV account, this is how I've been watching hockey games. Nice change from NBC Sports.
post #11548 of 11764
Quote:
Originally Posted by el gran chico View Post

Hey Detroiters, Mike from Toronto here (disclosure: I'm originally from SW Ont. and spent a good deal of time in your city). Question - is CBET Windsor (aka CBC HD) available on any Michigan cable services? Or do you have to get it over the air? Curious about how popular CBET is when the Red Wings games are televised on there.

Thanks!

It's on the Bright House Networks cable system, which serves Livonia, Redford, Novi, Farmington and Farmington Hills. Love watching HNIC in HD (well, except for maybe Don Cherry's suits). smile.gif
post #11549 of 11764
CBET-DT is clear QAM at 85-1 on Brighthouse. Not entirely sure why it doesn't remap like the rest do, but at least I know where it is.
post #11550 of 11764
WHTV DT18, rf34 is back on the air at the Chelsea transmitter. I'm noticing a stronger signal here near Holly, as I don't even need to swing my antenna around to the SW from it's SE position. Anyone else notice an increase in their signal from when they were on the Chelsea transmitter last Jan/Feb????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Detroit, MI - HDTV