|Originally posted by droskill
Hey all --
I have an SA 8000 box from TWC here in NYC, and it's started to have problems when playing back video. The main issue is that it will just stop in the middle of playback (probably while the hard drive catches up). So, a few questions:
1. Anyone having the same issue?
2. Anyone have a fix? Should I just delete a lot of programming I have on it, or is there a utility on it to defragment the drive?
It's likely you have the Pionner Passport Echo
software on your SA8000 because what you're describing sounds like a problem with the last two releases of this software that started about mid-August, and has infected boxes nation-wide. I live in Los Angeles County and my friends and neighbors report the same problem in my town and others 50 miles away in Orange County. Other users in other states using the same software also report the problem. All of us are on the Passport software. Before they sent this new software our boxes performed flawlessly, then the old software was overwritten by the new one and it screwed up a perfectly good machine.
If you do indeed have the Passport software, here's the problems that me and everybody i've talked to with this software is having:
1. The image (and audio) will pause for about 6 seconds then resume and it takes a second for the image to catch up with the audio. This happens 2 to 6 times per half-hour show and lots of others around the country report the same exact thing. Sometimes it's in the recording and will happen every time you replay the affected scene, and other times it will be during live TV, watching from the buffer. Sometimes you can replay the scene and this time instead of freezing like before it will tile or pixelate instead and not freeze like it did before. Sometimes i can watch a whole show and it will will only freeze once or twice and sometimes even not at all, but that's rare.
Also, all the programs that i had recorded before the software upgrade play back perfectly and show none of the problems which practically proves it is caused by the new software.
2. Tiling - whole chunks of the image will move up and to the right or left and superimpose themselves over the rest of the screen for a moment, then go back to it's corner.
3. Picture pixelates and breaks up often, sometimes painting lime green checkerboard pattern over most of the screen for a few seconds and other times the picture will just break up and pixelate for a moment then return to normal.
4. There are other little niggling problems and changes caused by this new software but the above three are the biggies.
I (and my neighbors) complained to TWC within the first few days of getting this new software forced upon us and they denied there was a problem and insisted on sending a Tech out to check my cabling and signal. He came and checked things out and said i have a good signal, and replaced an older splitter with a new 1100Mhz one which improved my signal a teensy bit, but it was already way better than it needed to be. This did nothing to fix the problem. So next they came again and replaced the cabling all the way from the pole to my TV and still did nothing to fix the freezing problem because it's still here. Now two months later, TWC has acknowledged that there is a problem with the new software and says they're working on it so hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.
Roseanne Colletti (WNBC) in your area just did an article about the problem. She was alerted to it by a subscriber of the SA8000 Yahoo groups mailing list. The problem is nation wide and not just in NYC. She was told that the freezing problem was nation wide yet mentioned nothing about it in the article:http://www.wnbc.com/rcstories/3788159/detail.html