or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › The "Official" Denon DVD-2910 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon DVD-2910 Owners Thread - Page 98

post #2911 of 2968
You can turn the 2910's upscaling on and off with a quick button press on the remote. Go between 720p, 1080i, and 480p. You can switch and see if you see a difference on your TV.
post #2912 of 2968
I got a 2910 player for 20$ at the flea market, complete with the box, manual and remote. Unfortunately it is not working. It power on, the drawer open and load disc but it not read. No image at all on the TV and the display show all the functions on at the same time. It will be a good improvement over my Sony DVD/SACD player if i can get it fixed. I know someone who can take a look on it but is there someone have an idea of the problem?

Thanks and regards.
post #2913 of 2968
Hi all, first post here.
I have a 2910 dvd player and I'm 100% satisfied with it, it's connected to a Denon avr-1509 via dvi-hdmi for the video and via optical cable for the audio.

I just have a couple of questions. How do I set the optical audio out to bitstream?
I guess that the "hdmi audio setup" menu is useless for the optical output, and that I have to look at the "audio setup" menu. This menu has a lot of settings that are enabled or disabled depending on how I set the "hdmi audio setup" menu. For example, if I set "multi (normal)" on "hdmi audio setup" then I cannot set "audio channel", "digital output" and "source direct" under the "audio setup" menu, as they are all disabled. Is it normal?
What are the best settings to set the optical audio out to bitstream?

Second question: I've read that this player doesn't work with dvd-r discs and it's obligatory to use dvd+r discs. This seems to apply to single-layer and dual-layer discs.
Is it true? I've used several (about 10 or 15) verbatim dvd-r discs, and everything worked fine. Am I just lucky? Or what I've read is wrong?

Thankyou all for your replies, and sorry for my english.
post #2914 of 2968
I just finished hooking up my 2910 to my new Integra DHC 9.9 via HDMI. No matter how I set up the system settings, I cannot get bitstream over HDMI. I have the latest firmware and am wondering if this is a flaw in the Denon firmware or if I am doing somehthing wrong.

Based on the previous threads, it is starting to look like a Denon issue. I am just wondering if anyone has solved the problem.
post #2915 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post

I just finished hooking up my 2910 to my new Integra DHC 9.9 via HDMI. No matter how I set up the system settings, I cannot get bitstream over HDMI. I have the latest firmware and am wondering if this is a flaw in the Denon firmware or if I am doing somehthing wrong.

Based on the previous threads, it is starting to look like a Denon issue. I am just wondering if anyone has solved the problem.

Yup...it's the player. I've got a Integra 9.8 and same issue. Must be the HDMI 1.1 of the Denon that's the roadblock. Really too bad because I still heavily use my 2910.
post #2916 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWilson View Post

Yup...it's the player. I've got a Integra 9.8 and same issue. Must be the HDMI 1.1 of the Denon that's the roadblock. Really too bad because I still heavily use my 2910.

I had posted a similar complaint on another forum and it was suggested to update my firmware from Denon. Went to the Denon site, downloaded and installed the firmware. Now it works. Give it a try.
post #2917 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post

I had posted a similar complaint on another forum and it was suggested to update my firmware from Denon. Went to the Denon site, downloaded and installed the firmware. Now it works. Give it a try.

I checked what was on the Denon site and it shows the May 2005 firmware release available for my player...I was almost certain I had already flashed with this firmware but I'll give it another try.

My player has a November 2004 build date. There is a HDMI 1.1 sticker next to the HDMI port, but I think these players were never anything higher than that. I was wondering if there was some sort of 1.1 / 1.3 issue?

I'll report back here how the reflash goes.

Jason
post #2918 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWilson View Post

I checked what was on the Denon site and it shows the May 2005 firmware release available for my player...I was almost certain I had already flashed with this firmware but I'll give it another try.

My player has a November 2004 build date. There is a HDMI 1.1 sticker next to the HDMI port, but I think these players were never anything higher than that. I was wondering if there was some sort of 1.1 / 1.3 issue?

I'll report back here how the reflash goes.

Jason

I assumed the issue is an HDMI handshaking issue. After flashing, it now works....not as good as my other 1.3 devices, but it does work and I no longer use the component to send video from that player. Frankly, I no longer use that player for video since my Blu Ray player does a great job with upconverting any video source. I keep it since it is practically worthless on the used market and it is still good for SACD.

Let us know how it turns out.
post #2919 of 2968
My player kicked the bucket. I was keeping it because I could set it to region 0 and play some PAL discs. Can't find a way to make my Marantz player do that.

Ah, well, it was good while it worked.
post #2920 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Schatz View Post

My player kicked the bucket. I was keeping it because I could set it to region 0 and play some PAL discs. Can't find a way to make my Marantz player do that.

Ah, well, it was good while it worked.

They must be going for pretty cheap out there somewhere?
post #2921 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 View Post

I am having this exact same issue now...Denon sent me the disk and after I installed it I cannot check the firmware version to confirm it installed...I too had done the multi-region remote hack a few months ago and it has always worked fine until now...after updating to 6720-D I cannot check the firmware...I wonder what the deal is here???

Brian

Hi Brian.

If you re-enter the Region Free code (temporarily removing the RF hack), then the show Firmware command should work for you again.

After you have checked your Firmware version (using the 3265 command), then re-apply the Region Free hack once again.

1. Ensure there is no disc in the player.
2. Power off using the front panel On/Off button (not standby).
3. Press and hold Open/Close, Play and Skip Reverse (I<<).
4. Keep the above buttons held and Power-up the player using the On/Off button, holding the above buttons until the player's name disappears from the front panel.
5. Wait until the player finishes LOADING and the front panel of the player shows 0:00:00.
6. On the remote handset, press in sequence; 7 3 1 9 4 6 2 8
7. The unit should enter standby mode. On the front panel of the player, press the Standby button to turn the player back on.
post #2922 of 2968
Hi there!

I know this thread is quite old but...

I upgraded my TV and my 2910 stopped working, I checked the Denon site, only the -A version is available.

Is anyone kind enough to send the -D upgrate to mey personal email:

kate@iguti.net

Thank you!
post #2923 of 2968
Denon used to have the 6720-E firmware into their webpage, but now they only have the A...
post #2924 of 2968
Can anyone tell me how to, or if it can be done, to re-initilize the microprocessor on my 2910? I've heard mention of it, and read it on Denon site, but nothing in my manual about it.

Lately, I cannot get mine to function in any mode whatsoever. It goes dead, then alive but not working correctly, then comatose again. Each time I unplug and re try a DVD or CD, something new happens, but never works correctly. Remote doesn't do anything whatsoever, and manual input using front panel controls doesn't do much, if anything at all.

thanks
post #2925 of 2968
[quote=itsadisease;16760801]Can anyone tell me how to, or if it can be done, to re-initilize the microprocessor on my 2910? I've heard mention of it, and read it on Denon site, but nothing in my manual about it.

Lately, I cannot get mine to function in any mode whatsoever. It goes dead, then alive but not working correctly, then comatose again. Each time I unplug and re try a DVD or CD, something new happens, but never works correctly. Remote doesn't do anything whatsoever, and manual input using front panel controls doesn't do much, if anything at all. I've tried the power on while pushing open/play/skip(rev), enter 73194628, wait and see it go no further routine. Reoplacing the computer in this is more $$ than it's worth. I'll get more fun having target practice on it with my 44mag.


I know many of you praise the 2910. But I tell ya, in the 4yrs I've owned this one, my Elite and an old Sony ES have far outshined it in reliability and quality of build. Plus, they've been hauled all over the world, beaten and banged, drenched and cooked. I don't use the 2910 much, and maybe only 100hrs on it. Everytime I really need it, something goes sideways with it. It's really a POS in my book. The factory has never been able to make it right, never offered a refund, and I will never buy any Denon equipment again. Better to spend a bit more and get the best I can, and something that will last. I hate to think anyone went out and paid retail for a 2910.
post #2926 of 2968
I went to the Denon site to get the newest (still 4 years old) firmware for this DVD Player but it says there are no updates for my player (despite the fact that I know there was a firmware update). Is there anywhere else to download the firmware?

http://usa.denon.com/ProductUpdatesUpgrades.asp

Thanks.
post #2927 of 2968
I still have the problem where I cannot use my DVD-2910 HDMI output with the HDMI input of my Denon AVR-4306. Does anyone know if the last firmware rev would fix that problem? If so, can someone point me where to get it? I don't see it on the Denon USA site.

thanks,

Steve
hindmansm at yahoo dot com
post #2928 of 2968
Here is the link to 2910 firmware:

http://www.denon2910.freehomepage.com/
post #2929 of 2968
I got a 2910 off my father as mine died. I don't really need it as I have a different player but wanted it for its region free abilities. It was loaded with 6720-C but the Denon site gave me an "upgrade" with my serial to 6720-A. What gives?
post #2930 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Schatz View Post

I got a 2910 off my father as mine died. I don't really need it as I have a different player but wanted it for its region free abilities. It was loaded with 6720-C but the Denon site gave me an "upgrade" with my serial to 6720-A. What gives?

I wish i knew that as well, I talked my way into a 2910 from the place i bought by p42s1 from last week, they had one that they never sold and I asked for it to be thrown in

anyway, I have the same "c" version of the firmware, but i am wondering if the "a" version or even the "8" version linked in this thread are a step up in some way, and worth the effort.
post #2931 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windzilla View Post

I wish i knew that as well, I talked my way into a 2910 from the place i bought by p42s1 from last week, they had one that they never sold and I asked for it to be thrown in

anyway, I have the same "c" version of the firmware, but i am wondering if the "a" version or even the "8" version linked in this thread are a step up in some way, and worth the effort.

The odd thing is that Denon's site pointed me to download A after putting in my serial. Trust me, he (my father) never updated it!
post #2932 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Schatz View Post

The odd thing is that Denon's site pointed me to download A after putting in my serial. Trust me, he (my father) never updated it!

Edward, elsewhere in the thread you said that you had an official copy of version D and offered to send it to someone. I was wondering if you still have it?
I am guessing that you may not because you were looking for a download from denon, but I sent you a PM with my contact info just in case.
post #2933 of 2968
Does anyone have a copy of the most up-to date firmware for the dvd-2910 they would like to email me? I realize its a long shot, but if you have it, I would appreciate a PM so that I can figure out how to get a copy.

thank you
post #2934 of 2968
Just a big fat thanks for the firmware, I have it now, forum and its members are GREAT!

In the future if anyone needs it feel free to PM me for it :-)
post #2935 of 2968
Been off this forum for a while - no issues - until now.!! I'm using the 955(silver 2910) with a Sony KDF55 LCD and for the last 3-4 years without any issues.

I've eliminated TV & hdmi cable as the root cause for no output via hdmi.

I've updated Firmware ESS-6720-A according to serial# from Denon.

Funny thing though, the unit flashes hdmi-720 on/off but after pressing hard on cable at back of unit I get a picture while it continues to flash. Quit dvd and the denon bkgd remains on. Toggled unit off/on and the bgkd is gone - no picture.

I am about to get a cheap blu ray off ebay NIB just for the hdmi out for std dvd palyback. Just about to give up.

Any ideas guys??

Thanks,
Mike
post #2936 of 2968
Windzilla, I just got a 2910 off ebay, need the firmware please!! Desparate

You are a life saver. how do I get it?
post #2937 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windzilla View Post

Just a big fat thanks for the firmware, I have it now, forum and its members are GREAT!

In the future if anyone needs it feel free to PM me for it :-)

What's the latest? I think I have it, but I would like to confirm.

Thanks!
post #2938 of 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerman View Post

Been off this forum for a while - no issues - until now.!! ....
Any ideas guys??

My first guess would be a loose HDMI connection to the PCB inside the machine. Does the whole socket move around with the HDMI cable? Might have to open the cover to check it out from the inside.
post #2939 of 2968
Good idea Tiggers - I'll check that out but meantime I bought a new component cable and the pic looks great.

Mike
post #2940 of 2968
I recently updated my 2910 to the 6720-D firmware.

I still can't seem to bitstream DD or DTS to my receiver through HDMI. It displays PCM on my receiver rather than DD or DTS. I believe I have all the right settings in the Setup, HDMI Audio to Multi(Normal).

It looks like some people are successfully getting this to work through HDMI. Does anybody know why it isn't working for me? I thought it was the old firmware, but apparently not.

Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Players (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › The "Official" Denon DVD-2910 Owners Thread