or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Chico, CA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chico, CA - HDTV - Page 56

post #1651 of 2643
I am watching the NHL Winter Classic on NBC right now. I read some of the posts above that KHSL and KNVN have increased the power output. I think it shows in quality. I haven't really watched much, or paid attention perhaps, but there quality is much better. I have had the AM-21 for a few months, so I can't say it's the tuner that makes a difference over my television's tuner. I notice I don't have as much (nearly none) motion blur that NBC was good for. It was extremely noticeable on sporting events. Also when I noticed it was with the flying NBC logo when they return from commercial break or flip to a replay.

I guess the only thing that would have made it better is increased power. Unless they have different equipment to broadcast. With the extra power, maybe somebody can convince them to go back to 5.1 audio.
post #1652 of 2643
Now, if KRCR would increase their power, everything would be great.
post #1653 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemaxj View Post

Now, if KRCR would increase their power, everything would be great.

That would be great.

I just checked FCC data. KRCR ATSC is licenced for 105.9kW on channel 34.
Their construction permit for ATSC VHF, channel 7 shows 14.5kW!

According to "Rabbit Ears" this is going to be the power level:

http://www.rabbitears.info/dtr.php


I guess that 15kW is the reason that the Chico area is having trouble with KIXE with UHF only antennas.
post #1654 of 2643
I swear by that AntennaCraft VHF-only Yagi-style antenna that I posted a link for on the prior page for anyone in Chico trying to get KIXE, and eventually, KRCR. I put one up at my cousin's the other day in South Chico; with a small pre-amp, they're now getting KIXE in the low 90's.
post #1655 of 2643
15 kW is actually above the FCC power limit for KIXE/KRCR's height. It should be adequate with an upper-VHF antenna. Keep in mind that VHF requires less power than UHF to cover the same area.

- Trip
post #1656 of 2643
Is KRCR VHF only already? I cannot pick them at all with my UHF antenna at my new house.....surprisingly I am able to get all the Chico/Paradise feeds with 85-100% signal strength with just a Terk UHF antenna in my attic and a Channel Master pre-amp (5 miles west of Redding).....so nice to get the playoffs in HD!
post #1657 of 2643
Wildbill 129,

KRCR is still broadcasting on UHF34. I'm getting signal strength 100% here. They have not flash cut. Can you get KIXE with your UHF Terk? Being that you are 5 miles west of Redding makes me think that you are 5 miles closer to the KRCR transmitter atop Bally. By chance it there a hill blocking your new site?
post #1658 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff View Post

Wildbill 129,

KRCR is still broadcasting on UHF34. I'm getting signal strength 100% here. They have not flash cut. Can you get KIXE with your UHF Terk? Being that you are 5 miles west of Redding makes me think that you are 5 miles closer to the KRCR transmitter atop Bally. By chance it there a hill blocking your new site?

No I haven't tried to get KIXE yet...they are VHF only now, and I haven't put up a VHF antenna. I bought a big Winegard, but it's a little bigger than I expectected (actually WAY bigger), so I think I will buy a smaller VHF/UHF combo to put in the attic and see what happens......I really don't want to put an antenna on the roof of this house if I can avoid it....

There is a hill blocking Bally, but also one blocking Chico/Paradise...actually several....so I was surpised I could get them vs. the Redding stations. I was sure it would be the opposite....thanks for the info Blastoff!
post #1659 of 2643
I recorded Cold Case & The Unit last night on 12-1 and I got to watch in SD. Wish I knew if it was technical or operator issue. Seems the whole night was in SD. I had hope that this problem would stop with the stations on full time digital. It seems that it happens more on weekends than weekdays.

Ed
post #1660 of 2643
I notice that weekend and re-aired programs don't seem to get the luxury of broadcasting in HD.

It doesn't make any sense that they should prioritize programming for HD/SD. The technology is there, why can't they use it all of the time?
post #1661 of 2643
Is anybody having trouble with the AM-21 tuner tonight?

I just tuned over to regular TV via the AM-21 and none of my locals are coming in. I do see that 2.5 men recorded at 9 tonight, seemingly all the way through. I had video at the beginning and end however I've not watched the program.

I do not know how long it has been out. But none of my locals are available at the moment.
post #1662 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFinder View Post

Is anybody having trouble with the AM-21 tuner tonight?

I just tuned over to regular TV via the AM-21 and none of my locals are coming in. I do see that 2.5 men recorded at 9 tonight, seemingly all the way through. I had video at the beginning and end however I've not watched the program.

I do not know how long it has been out. But none of my locals are available at the moment.

I watched '24' all the way thru last night without any problems on my AM-21
post #1663 of 2643
I had CSI set to record last night and it got into a few minutes of it....so sometime after 10 it went out. I missed a couple of recordings. It was still out when I woke up this morning. All of the local channels and sub channels so it was obviously the AM-21 not working correctly. The message was the 771 message, however it said searching for the OTA tuner or something like that.

I forced a reset before I went to work this morning and when I got home tonight all was fine. I guess It has been on for to long without a restart. I've had it plugged in since December 25th. What was I thinking!
post #1664 of 2643
Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

Moved up here a year ago and have been tinkering with OTA DTV. It's been fun, but frustrating. I put up an all channel (Radio Shack (I know)) antenna on a rotor with a preamp. Have good to very good reception of most Sacramento analog VHFs (even get a watchable KTVU Ch 2) and fair on Sacramento analog UhFs. KHSL analog 12 was also very good to excellent but Redding (all of them) is/was very poor (hills I suppose).

I was surprised to get a good digital 10,13,31,and 58 from Sacramento, but it does get iffy due to weather/tunneling effects.

What I couldn't understand is why the digital 12 (43) is so poor. Months ago I talked to the KHSL engineer and he told me they were soon installing/upgrading the UHF DTV transmitter. That helped, but it is still very poor, even pointing the antenna directly in the direction of Cohasset. Sure there is a hill or two between me and the xmitter, but remember the analog was fine.

I just stumbled upon this which, I think, explains some (if not all) of my problems:

(Sorry the forum won't let me post the URL. Anyway the the short form of the site is: fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_report1/Chico-Redding_CA.pdf)


This shocked me. It looks like KHSLs choice of a UHF (43) over VHF 12 coupled with reduced effective radiated power has significantly reduced its coverage and created pockets of no signal WITHIN its former coverage area.
I, for the life of me, don't understand why they would do this, unless they are just cheap (can't think of a better word). If you look at the coverage maps at the same site for the other stations, and for Sacramento, the Bay Area, etc, it shows most stations gain coverage with transition to DTV.

I don't know if anyone from KHSL engineering reads this, but it would interesting to know the rationale about its coverage, as well as any tips to get better reception.

We can watch CBS on 13 DTV but miss KHSL local news, such as it is.

BTW, I have a very long coax run from the antenna, I am going to try a receiver at the antenna to see if I get better results. If so (and I hope so) then I can maybe solve (or work around) the problem.

Thanks for listening,

Fred in Paradise,CA
post #1665 of 2643
Thread Starter 
The analog VHF 12 and UHF 43 (digital KHSL) will respond much differently due to terrain. Digital UHF stations need a good "line of site" without obstruction to get good reception. If you have hills between you and the transmitter then you will not likely get good digital reception or you have to work at it harder with good antennas.
post #1666 of 2643
Thanks, cmassa. Yup, I definitely know how terrain affects UHF, having lived in the hills of Northern California all my life.

What bugs me though is, given the hills, why did KHSL choose a UHF? Makes no sense, unless they didn't have enough clout to keep 12 (I think KNTV NBC is using 12 for their DTV from Mt. San Bruno).

Looking at the fcc link I posted, KHSL lost much of its previous coverage area. Not to mention all of the (dozens) of translators (we watch one in Chester, when there) that are already set up to receive channel 12. They have to either shut them down, or convert them with new receivers/antennas. I doubt KHSL has any money to afford to up/down link to the translators and UHF 43 is NOT gonna make it up those mountains.

Sorry to ramble, I think I'll call my contact at KHSL (If he is still there) for more info. Will post here if I gain any knowledge that is sharable.

Fred
post #1667 of 2643
Thread Starter 
I had heard there will be less coverage with the digital transition, especially the rebroadcast through translators. Thanks for the info. It does push some people towards cable or satellite in the more remote areas which is not necessarily good.
post #1668 of 2643
I installed a TV antenna system at a relatives house yesterday. It was very iffy if I would be able to receive KHSL and KCVU at the West Redding home, in the hills. There is a hill not too far away that does some blockage. To my surprise, I was able to get both channels but not very well. To my amazement, regardless of what I did, KCVU 20 came in with a better signal than did KHSL. KHSL transmits about 100 feet higher than KCVU and has much more radiated power. I guess that KHSL is using more of a omni-directional spread for their signal transmission.

It is hard to hear from you that they are not using all the translators that they used when they were broadcasting form analog 12. This will make it difficult for those in the fringe and mountain areas!

I wonder why KCVU didn't opt to use a higher power like KHSL? I do know that her in Redding they use an analog transmitter (Ch 38) for our area. I hope that they convert it for digital reception. From what I understand, KRCR is having some of their translators broadcast both analog and digital (best of all worlds).
post #1669 of 2643
I did a channel scan on one of my STB's this morning and am now getting channel 28-1 & 28-2. The signal is between 58 & 60. For now they are just listed as Digital Service. The sub channel is HSN network. I was unable to determine the native channel at this point.
post #1670 of 2643
It's physical channel 28. It's the same signal that used to be on channel 41. Looks like they moved for some reason.

- Trip
post #1671 of 2643
Trip,

Do you know the geographical location they are transmitting from?

Thanks
post #1672 of 2643
http://www.recnet.com/cdbs/fmq.php?c...te=&country=US

Click the second "view map" option for an estimated FCC coverage map.

- Trip
post #1673 of 2643
So here we go again, another season CBS is broadcasting some of the Supercross events with next day coverage. Normally it's broadcast on Speed.

Well just like last year, they decided to take a coffee break and screw the viewers on HD feeds. I talked to them last year and I was given the pass of of "Well, we don't always know what programs are broadcast how", and "We do what we can to stay up to date on HD feeds to us, the local affiliate.

Well that is crap today. It started off great. Good color, quality....all of the HD stuff. Commercial break kicked in and what do you know, they forgot to put it back to HD, or whatever the heck it is they do in the transmission rooms.

This is ridiculous, most programs, especially sports, are HD. I don't understand how it's so difficult to play a program the way it was meant to be. I don't know all of the technical aspects of what it takes to make HD show on my TV from the studio's, but I shouldn't have to. All I should know is that the camera guys on site are carrying HD cameras. Then it's broadcast to our homes and it should be the same.

What's next, are we going to be forced to watch black and white because somebody forgot any given program was supposed to be broadcast in color.

I know, I've read it all before from the football and NASCAR fans aboard. Like you all, this is one sport that hits me.

What do we need to do to get the local affiliates to broadcast in HD? Obviously calling them and complaining or asking the technical folks to make sure the feed is correct doesn't work.

Come on CBS, let's get it together. I know the other networks have the same problem, but my personal experiences have CBS rated the worst for broadcasting HD in HD.

Okay, I loosened up the top button on my shirt so I'm a little less hot now!!

CBS will be airing these events for the next two weekends. Who do we talk to to make sure they have reliable coverage in the studio's next Sunday?
post #1674 of 2643
Watched the game yesterday on KHSL. It was HD and everything was great. CBS ran several adds for a new episode of "The Mentalist" during the game. It was supposed to be broadcast last night. When I tried to watch it, KHSL was airing an infomercial. Disgusting greed.

Mike Jones
post #1675 of 2643
Was it the episode that ran at 10:00 p.m.? My HR21 had it listed in the to do list. I did see TV earlier in the evening and The Mentalist was on. I almost recorded it, but I decided to let my DVR pick it up naturally. I will find out tonight when I can check my list to see if I am lucky enough to watch an infomercial also!
post #1676 of 2643
I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I'm approaching my question incorrectly or posting this in the wrong area!

We live on the north end of the California Park neighborhood in Chico.

I've been experimenting with OTA reception at my home over the last couple of weeks. Last week I purchased a new Clearstream 2 antenna from Best Buy. This is an outdoor antenna. However, I mounted it on a paint pole on our AV Cart inside our house (yes, it's pretty dorky, but we just don't watch a lot of TV and this works, or worked!). Using that antenna and an Insignia digital converter box, I was able to receive all of the major stations, including KRCR out of Redding. I was not able to receive KIXE.

Yesterday we purchased a Toshiba LCD HDTV at Costco. When I set it up with my paint pole mounted antenna, I received all of the channels we were seeing through the digital converter box, except now we were not seeing KRCR or KIXE. I can live without KIXE, but it would be nice to have access to some of the programming on KRCR.

I thought that perhaps my issue was related to the digital converter box...perhaps the tuner in the box was somehow stronger than the tuner in the new TV. This morning I tested that theory by reconnecting the digital converter box. However, now, through the box I am no longer receiving a viewable KRCR signal. It shows up as weak when I select "signal" on the digital converter box remote.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with KRCR during the last few days? Have they changed something?

I love the idea of not having to mount this antenna on the roof, and I just can't figure out why KRCR would have been working fine last week and not this week.

Any information/education you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #1677 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFinder View Post

Was it the episode that ran at 10:00 p.m.? My HR21 had it listed in the to do list. I did see TV earlier in the evening and The Mentalist was on. I almost recorded it, but I decided to let my DVR pick it up naturally. I will find out tonight when I can check my list to see if I am lucky enough to watch an infomercial also!

Yes. I turned off the TV after the game and turned it back on at 10. If "The Mentalist" aired before that I would have missed it. I wonder why the guide was wrong.

Mike Jones
post #1678 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsharkeus View Post

I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I'm approaching my question incorrectly or posting this in the wrong area!

We live on the north end of the California Park neighborhood in Chico.

I've been experimenting with OTA reception at my home over the last couple of weeks. Last week I purchased a new Clearstream 2 antenna from Best Buy. This is an outdoor antenna. However, I mounted it on a paint pole on our AV Cart inside our house (yes, it's pretty dorky, but we just don't watch a lot of TV and this works, or worked!). Using that antenna and an Insignia digital converter box, I was able to receive all of the major stations, including KRCR out of Redding. I was not able to receive KIXE.

Yesterday we purchased a Toshiba LCD HDTV at Costco. When I set it up with my paint pole mounted antenna, I received all of the channels we were seeing through the digital converter box, except now we were not seeing KRCR or KIXE. I can live without KIXE, but it would be nice to have access to some of the programming on KRCR.

I thought that perhaps my issue was related to the digital converter box...perhaps the tuner in the box was somehow stronger than the tuner in the new TV. This morning I tested that theory by reconnecting the digital converter box. However, now, through the box I am no longer receiving a viewable KRCR signal. It shows up as weak when I select "signal" on the digital converter box remote.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with KRCR during the last few days? Have they changed something?

I love the idea of not having to mount this antenna on the roof, and I just can't figure out why KRCR would have been working fine last week and not this week.

Any information/education you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Your signal must have been borderline, and the Insignia has one of the best available chips in it for receiving digital transmissions. The Toshiba's receiver chip must not be as good as the Insignia.

You will want to invest in some type of VHF antenna (like an Antennacraft Y5-7-13) and probably put it outdoors. KIXE-DT is not viewable to you because it is on VHF channel 9. KRCR-DT is currently on UHF channel 34, but will move back to VHF channel 7 next month, so you should use your reception of KIXE-DT as a guide for how KRCR will be at that time.

Perhaps some of the local people here will be better able to help you than I can. Good luck.

- Trip
post #1679 of 2643
I think I noticed the program playing around the 8:00 or 9:00 hour. It must have come on at an add time because the portion of the program was not the beginning (as far as I could tell) however the clock showed that normal programming would have just begun. I did not watch the episode either, I was relying on the DVR to pick up the later airing. I wonder if CBS will air it again as folks may have missed it.

The guide data on PBS is always wrong too, so I guess it didn't want to be lonely.
post #1680 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Your signal must have been borderline, and the Insignia has one of the best available chips in it for receiving digital transmissions. The Toshiba's receiver chip must not be as good as the Insignia.

You will want to invest in some type of VHF antenna (like an Antennacraft Y5-7-13) and probably put it outdoors. KIXE-DT is not viewable to you because it is on VHF channel 9. KRCR-DT is currently on UHF channel 34, but will move back to VHF channel 7 next month, so you should use your reception of KIXE-DT as a guide for how KRCR will be at that time.

Perhaps some of the local people here will be better able to help you than I can. Good luck.

- Trip

I have yet to tune in PBS on anything other then 9-1. Likewise for ABC, always comes to me on 7.1.

I agree that your signal must be boardeline to have received ABC for a period of time. I have not lost signal lately, but I am in Redding so I really should not. I do however receive KHSL and KNVN stronger. I think they are 98-100 whereas KRCR is 85%.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Chico, CA - HDTV