or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Chico, CA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chico, CA - HDTV - Page 74

post #2191 of 2643
Good explanation John. That is the most likely cause I was going to explain also.
It also can mean that their Dish is slightly out of alignment, which can affect certain channels on certain satellites.

The same thing can happen on DirecTV.

-I have done this with DirecTV and the same can be done for Dish. When I looked up all the channels, and then locate the satellite and the transponders that they are on you can usually find other channels that are also lost because of rain fade or failed LNB or out of alignment dish. Start here: http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html
post #2192 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff View Post

All of Dish Network local HD channels in our DMA come from satellite 129 & spot beam 5. It sounds like it could be rain fade (not uncommon when there are very thick clouds and heavy rain). If not rain fade, then strong winds can force the alignment off ever so slightly causing what you describe. It also could be technical problems at the up-link. Generally the dish is aimed to exactness but if it just slightly out of alignment, then wind and rain make problem worse. What kind of dish antenna are you using? Also, was this with the HD channels or the SD channels? The SD channels use satellite 110 satellite and spot beam 26.

I only receive SD feeds on Dish. KRCR, KIXE, KCVU, and KRVU had absolutely no problems, but maybe the up link problem was something on KHSL/KNVN's end, and OTA might have been unaffected, I'm not sure my antenna didn't work at all during the storm. So if it was the weather, it had to be something at KHSL/KNVN's studio, perhaps dated receiving equipment or something else in the studio with the up link was failing.
post #2193 of 2643
Does anyone know anything about the Winegard HD7695P? I have a friend who is having Galaxy come out and install it for them, on their recommendation. I wasn't sure a directional antenna would be able to get NBC without rotation, since ABC, CBS, and FOX are in the same general direction from where we are in Chico. I also don't think it will pick up ABC because of the distance. Any opinions?

So apparently my friend had this installed today and he is getting ABC, CBS, and NBC all at 90+ percent, but isn't getting FOX. This just doesn't make sense to me, but it is what it is I guess.
post #2194 of 2643
Good all around antenna for UHF and VHF for distance. Dam long though. Very directional but does have a sharp reception area on the back side. Not sure why Fox 20 is not coming in unless their is another ch 20 interfering from the Sacramento area because it has some much gain, or Fox 20 was off the air during the scan. It also could be so strong of a signal that it is over driving the receiver. In which case you would have or load or pad the coax with an attenuator. Also I hope he is not using an amplifier. No need for it here, that would also overdrive the receiver. I would rescan without an antenna connected to clear the unit then rescan with the antenna connected. Some boxes and DTV's need to clear there memory before they can add channels. They get stupid. This worked for one of my friends. Also try forcing the receiver to tune Fox by typing in "20" "-" "1" manually.

Keep us update on any solution's.
post #2195 of 2643
Thanks for the info. I'm feeling very disappointed with my DB8 these days. I don't have it mounted on my roof yet, but I can't get ABC and sometimes NBC breaks up. I have it about 8 feet off the ground on a pole in the backyard.
post #2196 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtatman View Post

Thanks for the info. I'm feeling very disappointed with my DB8 these days. I don't have it mounted on my roof yet, but I can't get ABC and sometimes NBC breaks up. I have it about 8 feet off the ground on a pole in the backyard.

Have you tried putting a pre-amp on the antenna? They make a HUGE difference. You could also buy a VHF only antenna and combine the two with a combiner. Buy a VHF/UHF preamp, a power passing combiner and you would probably get everything fine...
post #2197 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill129 View Post

Have you tried putting a pre-amp on the antenna? They make a HUGE difference. You could also buy a VHF only antenna and combine the two with a combiner. Buy a VHF/UHF preamp, a power passing combiner and you would probably get everything fine...

I changed my cable yesterday and now I get 100% to all channels, and ABC is usually over 60%. Huge difference.
post #2198 of 2643
Now, try placing the old cable in a warm dry area like near a wood stove or 24 hours in a 150 deg. oven. Then hook it back up as originally used. If it cured the problem with the old cable, you proved your culprit to be "WATER" in the cable from the rain. Silicone grease in the connections will avoid any further problems.
post #2199 of 2643
Has anybody been eperiencing a weak signal on KNVN today, and maybe yesterday? I recorded the opening ceremonies and the segments I've seen so far are clear, however all day today 24-1 has been without signal for the most part. I get about a minute of viewing at a time, if even that.

Insteringly enough, my signal strength on 24-1 is approximately 70%, slightly over. However 7-1 is hovering around 57% and the signal seems to be fine. Perhaps it's not an antenna issue, but a network issue?

I guess I'll try to restart the reciever and see if it helps any, not that I expect it will.

Just thought I would check with other folks to find out if you are also experiencing issues.

Thanks.
post #2200 of 2643
Back on my bandwagon again;

All channels worked yesterday and everyday for me. No disruptions seen in the 2 different locations I was at on any channels.

Water in the connections outside at the cable connection "CAN" and "WILL" disrupt one channel signal verses another, (be frequency sensitive), in disrupting signal reception.

Disconnect the cable at the antenna and let the sun dry it out today. Hook it back up before dark. If all is again well, the silicone grease application "WILL" solve the problem.

Silicone grease is available for $5.00 for a bigger tube than you need but is readily available at most Napa Auto Parts stores.

Get it dry, squirt in some grease into the connector, put it back together and problem should be solved permenantly. The grease "WILL NOT" dry out and the connection may be taken apart at a future date for any reason without destroying it.

Bob
post #2201 of 2643
HDFinder,

I wasn't paying attention but around those times my KNVN was at 100% I didn't see any problems with any channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFinder View Post

Has anybody been eperiencing a weak signal on KNVN today, and maybe yesterday? I recorded the opening ceremonies and the segments I've seen so far are clear, however all day today 24-1 has been without signal for the most part. I get about a minute of viewing at a time, if even that.

Insteringly enough, my signal strength on 24-1 is approximately 70%, slightly over. However 7-1 is hovering around 57% and the signal seems to be fine. Perhaps it's not an antenna issue, but a network issue?

I guess I'll try to restart the reciever and see if it helps any, not that I expect it will.

Just thought I would check with other folks to find out if you are also experiencing issues.

Thanks.
post #2202 of 2643
The thing I find to be most odd is that signal strength is high enough to provide a clear picture. I generally have issues with KRCR before any other network. However the past few days it's been KNVN. I got home not long ago and so far the news is going well. Perhaps it's dry. Perhaps it's got a better line of sight. Perhaps it's becasue it's Monday.

Today KRCR is 48% and KNVN is still just under 80%. KRCR is clear with such a weak signal, whereas the past few days KNVN was pixilated with higher strength. I'll keep an eye out for moisture and maybe get up to the connection later if it acts up again.
post #2203 of 2643
I can't figure out why our local stations think it is OK to broadcast two digital signals to the same channel. 7 is broadcast on 7 and 34. 9 is broadcast on 9 and 18. 12 is broadcast on 36 and 43. None of my tunners handle this well. They will often sync to the weakest channel. To try and solve the problem I had my antenna replaced and a Booster installed. It now works OK most of the time but not always.

Mike
post #2204 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemaxj View Post

I can't figure out why our local stations think it is OK to broadcast two digital signals to the same channel. 7 is broadcast on 7 and 34. 9 is broadcast on 9 and 18. 12 is broadcast on 36 and 43. None of my tunners handle this well. They will often sync to the weakest channel. To try and solve the problem I had my antenna replaced and a Booster installed. It now works OK most of the time but not always.

Mike

Broadcasting using this system results in more people receiving their signal due to items like building penetration and line of sight problems in different area's of the landscape. This is "GOOD" for most people who would otherwise "NOT" receive a particular channel where they live.

If selection of one signal over another is wanted; "ALL" digital television sets as well as "ALL" DTV converter boxes out there have an edit function available to disable the unwanted signal even if your system receives it.

Using the edit function for your channel list is available. Simply call it up after a scan and disable the one or more that you don't want to see.

Example; you receive channel 7 on channel 7 and channel 34. You don't want to see channel 34. Click the delete or disable box and save the change. Your tuner will then "NOT" see channel 34 any more. Same process for any of the duplications you receive.

You will have to do this edit function every time you re-scan for updates but it only takes a minute to do. You "CAN" delete any and all unwanted channels with one process by checking all unwanted channels before saving the change.

Enjoy!!
post #2205 of 2643
This is not true for directv dvr's. no way to edit frquency's. You can with Tivo and most other sets. On directv, it just scans and picks the first frquency it picks up. For Redding, it's a problem because it sees freq 36 first and assigns 12-1 to it.
post #2206 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding Delivery View Post

This is not true for directv dvr's. no way to edit frquency's. You can with Tivo and most other sets. On directv, it just scans and picks the first frquency it picks up. For Redding, it's a problem because it sees freq 36 first and assigns 12-1 to it.

For some reason the my D* DVRs have started syncing to the weaker of the channels (ie; 34, 36, and 18). Don't know why. My Mits TV has a tunner that wil switch to the weaker signal if there is anything wrong with the stranger signal. Very annoying.

Mike
post #2207 of 2643
Bob mills,

Insdead of trying to figure out why I can't get all of the OTA stations all of the time, you give me a lecture on how to program my system. You didn't know anything about my system. This typical of the attitude at the local stations. Which station do you work for?

Mike
post #2208 of 2643
Mike,

I think we are in the same boat but use different receivers. I have a receiver that will add both of the same channels which causes big problems with no options of manually selecting the one that I want to use or deleting the other, while I have other receivers where I can manually add or delete any of them.

The FCC promotes a network user system where the same channel (not different frequencies) are used whey they are synergistic providing better reception to different areas of the DMA. I don't think that any of our TV stations use this technology, and I don't know if they ever will. This preferred transmitting process I can only describe as being cellular like. Being this is such a small DMA means small dollars and small budget. So we get the small end of whatever comes out.

I really would be nice if the FCC would lay out the law on the manufacturers of ATSC tuners so they all have to do the best job for the users!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemaxj View Post

I can't figure out why our local stations think it is OK to broadcast two digital signals to the same channel. 7 is broadcast on 7 and 34. 9 is broadcast on 9 and 18. 12 is broadcast on 36 and 43. None of my tunners handle this well. They will often sync to the weakest channel. To try and solve the problem I had my antenna replaced and a Booster installed. It now works OK most of the time but not always.

Mike
post #2209 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff View Post

Mike,

I think we are in the same boat but use different receivers. I have a receiver that will add both of the same channels which causes big problems with no options of manually selecting the one that I want to use or deleting the other, while I have other receivers where I can manually add or delete any of them.

The FCC promotes a network user system where the same channel (not different frequencies) are used whey they are synergistic providing better reception to different areas of the DMA. I don't think that any of our TV stations use this technology, and I don't know if they ever will. This preferred transmitting process I can only describe as being cellular like. Being this is such a small DMA means small dollars and small budget. So we get the small end of whatever comes out.

I really would be nice if the FCC would lay out the law on the manufacturers of ATSC tuners so they all have to do the best job for the users!

Has this method of transmission been promoted in larger markets? In this economy it could be many years before even larger markets deploy this technology. I guess this is mainly for cities with many tall structures that could cause interference, but even those cities will be limited to O&O broadcasters to begin with, then affiliates owned by large corporations (i.e. Hearst, Gannett, Raycom, Belo, etc.).

The Chico/Redding DMA will likely not get this technology given the nature of mediocre cell phone reception in rural areas, so TV reception with cellular-type signals would be extremely difficult. If our stations weren't so outdated, then maybe they would have the money to deploy this technology, but it would only be good for areas in the valley, but not the rest of the Northstate.
post #2210 of 2643
The FCC is promoting this. I didn't read law. You can go to the FCC site and research digital television. The idea is to provide an even signal to all areas, rural and metropolitan. There will be enforcement preventing stations from providing stronger signals to specific geological locations with say larger populations with more desired viewer markets, while neglecting other geological locations with an smaller or less desired viewer markets. According to the FCC ATSC tuners must be designed to comply with this spread technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted_to_HD View Post

Has this method of transmission been promoted in larger markets? In this economy it could be many years before even larger markets deploy this technology. I guess this is mainly for cities with many tall structures that could cause interference, but even those cities will be limited to O&O broadcasters to begin with, then affiliates owned by large corporations (i.e. Hearst, Gannett, Raycom, Belo, etc.).

The Chico/Redding DMA will likely not get this technology given the nature of mediocre cell phone reception in rural areas, so TV reception with cellular-type signals would be extremely difficult. If our stations weren't so outdated, then maybe they would have the money to deploy this technology, but it would only be good for areas in the valley, but not the rest of the Northstate.
post #2211 of 2643
Looks like Comcast is upgrading our area by June. Hopefully this means more HD channels aren't far behind.

Quote:
A number of other Comcast systems will be converted by June, including those in Chico, Fresno, Grass Valley, Marysville-Yuba City, Merced, Modesto, Stockton, Tracy, Tulare and Visalia.
post #2212 of 2643
By the way, for those of you wondering what Comcast offers in "upgraded" areas, I was visiting my parents in my hometown (Spokane, WA) in January, and they have quite a few more HD channels than what's offered here. Same company, same packages, way more HD choices.

Here's the HD lineup for Comcast in Spokane. Kind of hard to look at it and not feel cheated.

Bold = Channel is available in Chico in SD only
Bold and red = Channel is not available in Chico in HD or SD


418 – NFL Network
440 – NBA League Pass
456 – NHL Center Ice/MLB Extra Innings
517 – Encore
530 – Starz Kids & Family
531 – Starz Comedy

532 – Starz
533 – Starz Edge
543 – HBO 2
544 – HBO Signature
545 – HBO Family
546 – HBO Latino
547 – HBO Comedy
548 – HBO Zone

549 – HBO
563 – Cinemax
564 – Moremax
568 – Actionmax
571 – Showtime Too
572 – Showtime Showcase
573 – Showtime Extreme

574 – Showtime
588 – The Movie Channel
589 – The Movie Channel Xtra
619 – WGN America

620 – Speed
621 – ESPNU
622 – ESPNews

623 – ESPN
624 – ESPN2
625 – Golf Channel
626 – Versus
627 – FSN
629 – MLB Network
631 – NHL Network
632 – Big Ten Network
634 – Tennis Channel
635 – Outdoor Channel

637 – NFL RedZone
649 – WE tv
650 – Style

651 – E!
652 – Bravo
653 – Lifetime
654 – Travel Channel
655 – Fox News Channel
656 – Fox Business Network
657 – CNN
658 – CNBC
659 – Spike
660 – Universal HD
661 – MSNBC
662 – TNT
663 – HD Theater
664 – TBS
665 – FX
667 – Animal Planet
668 – Discovery Channel
669 – TLC
670 – A&E
671 – History
672 – USA Network
673 – National Geographic Channel
674 – HGTV
675 – Food Network
676 – Syfy
677 – Disney Channel
678 – ABC Family
679 – Nickelodeon
680 – Cartoon Network
681 – Disney XD
685 – Palladia
686 – CMT
687 – VH1
688 – MTV
689 – BET
690 – Fuse
691 – TV One
692 – QVC
693 – G4
694 – Bio
695 – Planet Green

696 – Science Channel
697 – AMC
698 – Lifetime Movie Network
699 – IFC
700 – MGM
701 – TCM

703 – Hallmark Movie Channel
704 - Comedy Central
705 – TruTV
706 – The Weather Channel
post #2213 of 2643
Thanks AKA. Wow. 42 more HD stations. I am ready for the upgrade to those.
FYI, I noticed this weekend that all of the digital simulcasts of the analog stations and some other digital channels (NHL, etc.) are in the clear. Most are found in the 60's channel locations. All of the networks have been in the clear for awhile mapped to the 200's.
Maybe they are getting ready for the changeover.
post #2214 of 2643
Anybody know why I can get a signal for channel 42, (42.1 khsl, 42.2 knvn, 42.3 cw-10, 42.4 accuWx) but they are all blank?
post #2215 of 2643
Probably K42HL-D in Oroville. Interesting that it has all four stations on it. I wonder if they're all in SD.

- Trip
post #2216 of 2643
This past weekend Comcast in Chico began encrypting all but the basic QAM channels. We went from about 60 channels to 8. Sad day for those of us who have been receiving the clear QAM channels.
post #2217 of 2643
Just checked with Fox Engineer in Chico. KCVU will be on Back-Up transmitter for several hours. He didn't say what happened, just that it will be down.

Ed
post #2218 of 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding Delivery View Post

Just checked with Fox Engineer in Chico. KCVU will be on Back-Up transmitter for several hours. He didn't say what happened, just that it will be down.

Ed

I'm down to 64. The signal is at least holding with no break-up. I'm happy to have Dish Network locals in HD.

UPDATE: 03/31/10 7:23 PM - My signal is back up to 85.
post #2219 of 2643
Just as a point of FYI,
Dish is taking KRCR SD and HD feed off air on the channel 34 transmitter but has the ability to remotely switch back to the main channel 7 transmitter at any time. DirecTV is taking KRCR off air channel 7 SD only. Charter is also taking KRCR off air on channel 34 for SD and HD but will need an on site engineer to switch to channel 7.
The channel 34 antenna does better during heavy icing conditions than the 30 year old RCA batwing.
Please let us know if there are noticeable variances in signal.
post #2220 of 2643
Anyone else having a problem with KRCR? I haven't been able to get a signal at all since the last big storm on Sunday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Chico, CA - HDTV