or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Oklahoma City, OK - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oklahoma City, OK - HDTV - Page 35

post #1021 of 1039
Has anyone else had the problem I am having with the DD 5.1 audio on ABC's network shows via KOVCO HD on Cox? There is a +4 dB boost on the center channel and slight buzz in the overall audio. The result is that I have to keep the gain of my receiver, a Yamaha RX-V3900, at a low level, compared to its setting on other channels, to keep the dialog at a comfortable listening level. Even then, the overall quality of the 5.1 audio isn't very good.

By contrast to ABC's shows on KOCO, DD 5.1 audio from Fox, NBC, and CBS, via their local affiliates on Cox, have center channel settings, which are never greater that 0 dB and, often, -2 dB. Also, the 5.1 audio from Fox, NBC, and CBS always sounds great. This makes me strongly suspect that the problem I am experiencing with ABC shows lies with either ABC or KOCO HD.
post #1022 of 1039
I haven't noticed this but I have a problem where there is no center channel audio for CBS HD on COX. All other channels on COX cable are fine. Just no CBS HD center channel. This is on local and network shows.
post #1023 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpershall View Post

I haven't noticed this but I have a problem where there is no center channel audio for CBS HD on COX. All other channels on COX cable are fine. Just no CBS HD center channel. This is on local and network shows.

Ever since KWTV finally installed the gear to pass CBS's DD 5.1 audio, their 5.1 transmissions have sounded beautiful on my system. The 5.1 audio on NBC and Fox HD transmissions has always been wonderful. That's why the problem I am experiencing with the 5.1 audio on ABC's HD transmissions via KOCO HD has been so frustrating. Is shouldn't be happening, it seems to me.
post #1024 of 1039
I've also been experiencing audio issues with KOCO. My perception is that all their transmissions are just too loud - far louder than what I get from KWTV or KFOR (either OTA or cable), or any cable channels on Cox.

Today I noticed that KFOR no longer has the jarring transitions between network pass-through and locally-sourced programming. Now my receiver is showing a continuous 5.1 stream from KFOR, even during local commercials and the local news. Anyone else noticed this change?
post #1025 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Ever since KWTV finally installed the gear to pass CBS's DD 5.1 audio, their 5.1 transmissions have sounded beautiful on my system. The 5.1 audio on NBC and Fox HD transmissions has always been wonderful. That's why the problem I am experiencing with the 5.1 audio on ABC's HD transmissions via KOCO HD has been so frustrating. Is shouldn't be happening, it seems to me.

Good to hear this on KWTV 5.1 DD .... G.B.
post #1026 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post

Good to hear this on KWTV 5.1 DD .... G.B.

Although KWTV was shamefully late in installing the gear to allow them to pass CBS' 5.1 audio, once they finally acted, they did a very good job. Now, I just wish that KOCO would cure its 5.1 audio ills.
post #1027 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Has anyone else had the problem I am having with the DD 5.1 audio on ABC's network shows via KOVCO HD on Cox? There is a +4 dB boost on the center channel and slight buzz in the overall audio. The result is that I have to keep the gain of my receiver, a Yamaha RX-V3900, at a low level, compared to its setting on other channels, to keep the dialog at a comfortable listening level. Even then, the overall quality of the 5.1 audio isn't very good.

By contrast to ABC's shows on KOCO, DD 5.1 audio from Fox, NBC, and CBS, via their local affiliates on Cox, have center channel settings, which are never greater that 0 dB and, often, -2 dB. Also, the 5.1 audio from Fox, NBC, and CBS always sounds great. This makes me strongly suspect that the problem I am experiencing with ABC shows lies with either ABC or KOCO HD.

ABC's audio seems to have gotten worse lately. I recorded War of the Worlds about three weeks back, and the audio actually distorted in parts with a lot of bass activity. In quiet parts, there would be a slight buzz or hiss. There was also the same kind of problems in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest two weeks ago. Maybe its just me, but is this a recent problem?
post #1028 of 1039
I live 4-7 Miles north from the antenna farm in Oklahoma City. 4-7 because some antennas are closer to me than others. I have an old set of rabbit ears that I am using for reception. Works 95% of the time in my living room, and about 80% of the time in my bedroom. Any good antenna recommendations to have a consistent signal?
post #1029 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post

I live 4-7 Miles north from the antenna farm in Oklahoma City. 4-7 because some antennas are closer to me than others. I have an old set of rabbit ears that I am using for reception. Works 95% of the time in my living room, and about 80% of the time in my bedroom. Any good antenna recommendations to have a consistent signal?

I wouldn't think you'd need much. The rabbit ears you have should be rock solid on the VHF channels (ABC & PBS) but the for the UHF you should have a VHF/UHF antenna. There are several small indoor types on the market that should work fine (no AMP). You're so close the rabbit ears are probably still picking every thing up but with some pixels or drop outs.

I'm about 14 miles SW of that antenna farm and put a RCA ANT751 up on the eve of my roof. It feeds two HDTV boxes and the signal is extremely stable. I probably would have had good results from an indoor but I wanted to make sure I had a solid signal for multiple TVs (might add a 3rd). The ANT751 is reasonably priced. Something like the CS5 would be terrific but is overkill and 3x as much $.

Search around on the forum. There are a lot of smarter people than me that can help and there are already numerous antenna threads to read through. I've also heard good results from the Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna.
post #1030 of 1039
Any one in Norman, OK able to reliably get channel 4?

I have attic mounted CM3010 antenna aimed ~355° (I'm on the west side), CM7777 amplifier, RG6 cable throughout, Dish DTVPal DVR.

The best I can get is 60% signal, when it comes in at all.
post #1031 of 1039
Not from Norman, but channel 4 doesn't have much trouble in Stillwater with a fairly steady 55% signal, using a Winegard FV-HD30 antenna mounted indoors in the upper part of the window well above the TV. It's used with an amp taken from a enclosed square shaped RCA indoor antenna, which didn't work as well. I use a Centronics seperate HDTV tuner, which probably helps account for the good reception. Perhaps channel 4's signal is directional.
post #1032 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnms View Post

Any one in Norman, OK able to reliably get channel 4?

I have attic mounted CM3010 antenna aimed ~355° (I’m on the west side), CM7777 amplifier, RG6 cable throughout, Dish DTVPal DVR.

The best I can get is 60% signal, when it comes in at all.

I have a Channel Master STEALTHtenna 3010 that I bought at Lowe's a few years ago mounted in the attic and am getting, as of a few minutes ago, 98% on the signal meter on our Panasonic HDTV. We live on the south side of Norman just across the street from the Cobblestone Creek golf course. I went to the AntennaWeb site for bearing information, ie. 348 degrees. The signal on 4.1 is clear as a bell so to speak...

The only problem I have is on OETA 13.1... I get good video but no sound for some strange reason. I get video and audio on 13.2...

All the other OTA channels I am interested in, ie. 4.1/5.1/9.1 for example, are OK...
post #1033 of 1039
Thanks StillwaterTownie and
Sooner Al, sounds like we have the same antenna. Good to know it can come in strong, I just have to figure out why mine doesn't.
post #1034 of 1039
KFOR is now doing HD Syndication YEA!! Commercials and promos to follow. Finally Jeopardy in HD. I still miss my hour of jeopardy though...
post #1035 of 1039
anybody know how i can set my panasonic tc-p42x1 to cable being that i dnt have the original remote just a cheap universal one.right now i'm only receiving channels 2-13 and i'm using cox
post #1036 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnms View Post

Any one in Norman, OK able to reliably get channel 4?

I have attic mounted CM3010 antenna aimed ~355° (I'm on the west side), CM7777 amplifier, RG6 cable throughout, Dish DTVPal DVR.

The best I can get is 60% signal, when it comes in at all.


I live on the far east side of Norman and get Channel 4 quite well. Of course I'm using an MXU-59 and a Y5713 in my attic. I had issues with weaker channels like 48, 52 and 62 but the 10 foot long antenna certainly resolves any signal problems.

Channel 4 is physical channel 27 UHF so you would do well to get a directional UHF Yagi instead of a small suburban antenna, as Norman is far away enough from the transmitters that it could be considered fringe, especially if you aren't lucky like me (I live on a hill).

One thing you also might look at is the preamp you are using. Its quite a powerful one and you can actually overdrive your tuner with too much signal. The channel may seem weak but its not. Other concerns are if your satellite system is diplexed to your coax. I've noticed diplexers don't fully isolate satellite signals and could weaken your OTA signals. I'm going to drop a separate coax to fix this annoying problem with my system.
post #1037 of 1039
Thread Starter 
What does everyone think of KWTV's 9-1 picture quality since they started multicasting?
post #1038 of 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefSooner View Post

What does everyone think of KWTV's 9-1 picture quality since they started multicasting?

Watched Survivor (DVR'd via Dish) last night and it looked as spectacular as ever. That's my favorite show - their island beauty shots are jaw-dropping with detail.
post #1039 of 1039
Can anyone confirm that OETA has added Create and Kids to the OTA lineup?

- Trip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Oklahoma City, OK - HDTV