Originally Posted by dolemite77
What are the benefits of the new firmwares? I am trying to get mine to work with a crappy $20 Philips antenna w/ very limited success. All the channels have constant dropouts.
Take a look at the release notes on the mediafire link. How far are you away from source? These boxes are not as sensitive as the newer tuners. However, they still work well and the EPG and picture quality are very nice.
I have found that it comes down to the signal you feed it. I have 2 antennas (a large one to pull 70 miles and a small one to pull 35 miles -- in opposite directions). I had to experiment quite a bit in order to get everything to work properly.
For example, I had both antennas on a 30ft tower. The signal strength was terrible for both. The antennas were stacked about 1 foot on top of each other. Put the smaller one about 15ft lower. That helped out alot. Now, my understanding was you can stack antennas like I had tried, but it didn't work in practice.
Then I ran both to a splitter in reverse and took that single output to an amplifier. The signal strength was still not too good. So, I took each antenna to their own amplifier. Combined the signals after amplifiication. Then split it out to the rest of the house (8 ways). Signal strength is 94-97% on all stations (and analog looks great too).
Just giving you an example to say that I had to spend a bit of time trying things to get it right. There are tons of factors.
As far as the newer version of software, here are the release notes:
2.9.1 - 2006-05-22
Last known release before all of the USDTV engineers were let go because of bankrupcty.
Do not know the difference between 2.7.15 (last offical release) and 2.9.1.
2.9.2 - 2008-01-29
- Update the system time each time the power is turned off using the current channel.
- Expose the diagnostic, revert/toggle NAND flash and nightly update menus.
- Comment out the auto software update (therefore we shouldn't need the nighty update menu).
- Minor change to the System Info screen to clarify version and point people to Proserv (who is the
reason I was able to upgrade my subscription box in the first place - so a kudos to him).
2.9.3 - 2008-03-17
- Update the /usr/share/zoneinfo files with the new DST rules. Fixes the daylight saving time issue.
- Add the password to the prompt for the serial comm -- now reads "Password (xyzzy):"
- Turn off debug statments to console (for performance consideration -- didn't see much improvement though)
- By defualt, turn off gathering statistics (for performance consideration). You can enable stats
via the Diagnostics menus from the Setup.