or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › HOUSE on FOX in HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOUSE on FOX in HDTV - Page 168

post #5011 of 5037
Well, watched the finale. Ouch. Pretty dismal effort, but considering the quality of the show the last few years, not a big surprise. It really is a shame, as this was truly a remarkable show in its early years. Each year it became more farcical and outlandish.
post #5012 of 5037
Thanks BoilerJim, spyder696969 & prospect60 for the responses.

Story lines such as the burning building without any explanation simply help ruin these series.
post #5013 of 5037
I didn't care for the finale as much either... but I also found myself thinking, what else could they have done?

They honestly wrote themselves into a corner to some degree over the years. No way to plausibly give House a "happy ending"... so while I had issues with the finale, I don't know what I would have wanted that I would have accepted as better or more fitting.

You can't "cure" House or make him happy... you could kill him off but would that really be any better? To that end, him faking his own death actually makes a kind of sense. I think the execution was poor, though... and I would have liked to see more expose than they had time for in the 45-min finale than just he goes off with a junkie he just met and somehow a warehouse is on fire.
post #5014 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

You can't "cure" House or make him happy...

They've done both of those things! In addition to making House a nice guy as well. Then the show has just reset him every time.
post #5015 of 5037
Yeah I'm on the "how did they end up in that building and why is it burning?" boat..

Makes us think House OD'd the other guy, set the building on fire and planned everything to avoid jail... perhaps the ultimate low for him..
post #5016 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

They've done both of those things! In addition to making House a nice guy as well. Then the show has just reset him every time.

Ah... but you see... they never cured him... and he was never happy.

He has an addiction, the vicodin thing was never properly addressed... he just substituted one "drug" for another time and again... so he was never cured.

He hasn't been happy either. Any time he was moderately in a better place he questioned it and sabotaged himself.... so he never has been happy.

There were lots of times he had the illusion of being cured or happiness... but never anything real, since it was just covering the underlying issues by avoiding them.
post #5017 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Ah... but you see... they never cured him... and he was never happy.

He has an addiction, the vicodin thing was never properly addressed... he just substituted one "drug" for another time and again... so he was never cured.

He hasn't been happy either. Any time he was moderately in a better place he questioned it and sabotaged himself.... so he never has been happy.

There were lots of times he had the illusion of being cured or happiness... but never anything real, since it was just covering the underlying issues by avoiding them.

I thought that both House and Wilson finally realized that the only way they could be tolerably happy was to be together. I though it was a creative and satisfying ending.

fafner
post #5018 of 5037
The only word I can describe the finale: BAZINGA!
post #5019 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Yeah I'm on the "how did they end up in that building and why is it burning?" boat..

Makes us think House OD'd the other guy, set the building on fire and planned everything to avoid jail... perhaps the ultimate low for him..

That is my take, but then the purpose of the the ghosts visiting him comes into question. If this was planned, then why get high and have the internal battle when the decision was already made before he got there. He had to stick around until someone saw him, in the window to make the switch work.

I consider the House high and ghosts visiting him a poor bit of writing if it was all planned. It boils down to they needed a device to bring back old dead regulars in cameo roles.

If it was planned, then House has dropped to arson and abuse of a corpse, if not murder or an accessory to murder.I consider that pretty dark compared to the riding motorcycles off into the sunset ending.
post #5020 of 5037
Very disappointing finale. I don't know if any of you guys share my view but I kind of wish House died in the building. When it happened, I thought it was powerful and tragic, only to be undone when we find that he faked his death. A proper death would have been more meaningful, especially under the circumstances - him wanting to live for something, only to be killed tragically later. It would have resonated better with me.

For him to escape almost certain death is just a joke. Riding into the sunset is just a ridiculous ending. I don't know, I just wish they killed House in that building fire.
post #5021 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Very disappointing finale....I don't know, I just wish they killed House in that building fire.

As a long time fan, I think they "killed" House about 2 seasons ago. This was just the point where they stopped filming it.
post #5022 of 5037
Just wondering if anyone else thought that Cameron was also aware of House's faked death. When she opened her computer there was the picture with the original team opened up. I thought at the time that perhaps House did that. Clearly Foreman knows as well.
post #5023 of 5037
Yeah, there was no goodbye scene for the team .... House didn't say a damn thing to them. It was just a terrible finish. I assumed the finale would be a 2hr affair as well. I mean, 8 years of showtime, you would think they would dedicate more time to wrap everything up.
post #5024 of 5037
Loved it and found the ending quite satisfying. Hated the fire scene but I hate every fire scene ever filmed in Hollywood because I have a pretty good idea of what a real fire is like on the inside. Thankfully, I'm not a cop.

Chuck
post #5025 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Very disappointing finale. I don't know if any of you guys share my view but I kind of wish House died in the building. When it happened, I thought it was powerful and tragic, only to be undone when we find that he faked his death. A proper death would have been more meaningful, especially under the circumstances - him wanting to live for something, only to be killed tragically later. It would have resonated better with me.

For him to escape almost certain death is just a joke. Riding into the sunset is just a ridiculous ending. I don't know, I just wish they killed House in that building fire.

It was the ultimate puzzle. House tried to get Wilson and then Foreman to take the fall so House wouldn't go to jail. So he got the heroin addict to take his fall by standing in for his faked death.

That is why I think it was intentional that he faked his death. And it made all the ghosts visting him while he was high and deciding to live so contrived.
post #5026 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6 View Post


It was the ultimate puzzle. House tried to get Wilson and then Foreman to take the fall so House wouldn't go to jail. So he got the heroin addict to take his fall by standing in for his faked death.

That is why I think it was intentional that he faked his death. And it made all the ghosts visting him while he was high and deciding to live so contrived.

Sure he could have faked it and planned it in advance but it doesn't mean that he didn't have doubts about what he was doing as he was waiting for it to play out. One thing about the show is we generally watch house from outside his mind as a third party. Maybe I have forgotten but I don't think they have ever given us an inside the mind conflict.
post #5027 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6 View Post

It was the ultimate puzzle. House tried to get Wilson and then Foreman to take the fall so House wouldn't go to jail. So he got the heroin addict to take his fall by standing in for his faked death.

The problem with that is... he had the chance to let the guy die earlier and take the blame without having to fake his own death... so I can't believe House planned all of this when he had a better/easier plan earlier that he didn't use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

Maybe I have forgotten but I don't think they have ever given us an inside the mind conflict.

At least twice.

When Amber died (or rather while she was dying) House kept having visions trying to remember something, ultimately remembering that she was in danger.

Again a couple of seasons ago, he was having waking hallucinations when overdosing on Vicodin and thinking everything was ok and that he and Cuddy were happy... only to eventually realize that he had been hallucinating the whole thing and went into rehab after that.
post #5028 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

At least twice.

When Amber died (or rather while she was dying) House kept having visions trying to remember something, ultimately remembering that she was in danger.

That two part season finale is in my top 3: "House's Head"/"Wilson's Heart" (my favorite episode being "Autopsy" and not "Three Stories").
Quote:
Again a couple of seasons ago, he was having waking hallucinations when overdosing on Vicodin and thinking everything was ok and that he and Cuddy were happy... only to eventually realize that he had been hallucinating the whole thing and went into rehab after that.

Also, shortly after "Kumar" committed suicide he hallucinated speaking to him, struggling to figure out why he'd done it.
post #5029 of 5037
I enjoyed House while it lasted but it was one of those shows that went on a little too long and could never have a proper ending.

The finale was alright, and I enjoyed it.

A show like House could never have a "happy ending"
post #5030 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

I enjoyed House while it lasted but it was one of those shows that went on a little too long and could never have a proper ending.

The finale was alright, and I enjoyed it.

A show like House could never have a "happy ending"

Bingo! I think you summarized it exactly. House was one of my all-time favorite shows and I'll probably watch it forever on reruns like I do old NCIS episodes. Even the reruns are better than many other first run shows.

With House's addiction/pain and Wilson's cancer, you know if this had been real life, it wouldn't end happily. Likewise, with it being a TV show, you can suspend reality and give the illusion that it at least the TV Show had a somewhat happy ending although we all know what lies down the road (pun intended).

The only thing that could have made it better was to have a sobbing Cuddy show up late to the (what turned out to be fake) funeral.

The only reason I didn't like the finale was because it meant that the series was over. I never missed an episode (either "live" or on DVR), so I guess that would classify me as a true House junkie. Greg, I'll miss you, your brilliance, and your many imperfections.
post #5031 of 5037
The last 15 minutes were awesome, the first 45 were boring as hell. I've watched every episode of House and felt the ending was what should have happened. I think they should have done something other than the "fire out of nowhere."
post #5032 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby View Post

The last 15 minutes were awesome, the first 45 were boring as hell. I've watched every episode of House and felt the ending was what should have happened. I think they should have done something other than the "fire out of nowhere."

I am thinking a better ending was a quicker approach to faking his death and have all the cameos do funeral eulogies with possible flash backs (new material) to this and that and then the same ending. You could have had Cutner and Amber in the flashbacks. I am also thinking it should have been two hours with the retrospective the week before or after.

They also could have had fun with the Cuddy character! Since she wasn't going to show they should have done a House style joke on her like him leaving poop in a bag on her doorstep or something as they leave on the motorcycles.
post #5033 of 5037
The show did not have a "happy ending" since House promised Wilson that he would "take care of things" when his cancer got too painful. He also implied in the strongest terms that he would be passing with Wilson. It did have a happy 6 final months or so for both House and Wilson.

fafner
post #5034 of 5037
Man forgot all about this thread, the final was kinda just meh.. Would I be wrong in saying I kinda enjoyed the behind the set look in Swan Song instead?
post #5035 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

Man forgot all about this thread, the final was kinda just meh.. Would I be wrong in saying I kinda enjoyed the behind the set look in Swan Song instead?

How can you be wrong in stating a personal opinion?
post #5036 of 5037
well I figured people might say otherwise here.
post #5037 of 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

well I figured people might say otherwise here.

That doesn't make them any more right than you. I for one do not agree, but you always reserve the right to tell me to shove it. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › HOUSE on FOX in HDTV