or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › With Fox HD on D* does this mean E* will get it soon?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

With Fox HD on D* does this mean E* will get it soon?  

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Does anyone think E* will get FOX HD soon now that D* has it? With all this stuff about media consolidation and that Fox owns 34% of D*, dont they have to offer E* this channel as well? Its sucks right now because i live on the edge of 3 fox O & O markets, but can only get one on my digital antenna, and it happens to be the ONLY fox o & o in the country right now that is not in HD yet, grrrrr
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by houselog442
Does anyone think E* will get FOX HD soon now that D* has it? With all this stuff about media consolidation and that Fox owns 34% of D*, dont they have to offer E* this channel as well? Its sucks right now because i live on the edge of 3 fox O & O markets, but can only get one on my digital antenna, and it happens to be the ONLY fox o & o in the country right now that is not in HD yet, grrrrr
They are under no obligation to offer Fox to E*. They are only obligated to allow E* to negotiate a fair market price for the programming that is not out of line with what D* paid for it (yes, despite being in the "family" they do have to pay for the programming). E* is also under no obligation to attempt to obtain the programming. What happens on D* has very little to do with what may occur with E*.
post #3 of 15
I sure wish E* would get off their thumbs and add some HD programing. I am in KC area where the local FOX is broadcasting with 1100 watts, (what a joke) and cannot get cable service in my apt complex (damn SBC). I guess it is time us E* customers start calling and complaining... tell them we are switching to D*.
post #4 of 15
This is very interesting. It wasn't that long ago that DirecTV subs where complaining about how much HD they had. Now it's Dish subs turn.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by mws6468
I sure wish E* would get off their thumbs and add some HD programing. I am in KC area where the local FOX is broadcasting with 1100 watts, (what a joke) and cannot get cable service in my apt complex (damn SBC). I guess it is time us E* customers start calling and complaining... tell them we are switching to D*.
Don't complain too much - KYLE-DT in Bryan TX is broadcasing at 1 kW ERP.

I'd say you are 1100% better than we are! :(
post #6 of 15
Isn't 1100 watts about the same as 1 kW ? As in 1 Kilowatt = 1000 watts?
post #7 of 15
I wonder if there is a kW on the end of that 1100. That would be 1.1 megawatt.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
Isn't 1100 watts about the same as 1 kW ? As in 1 Kilowatt = 1000 watts?
Yep.
post #9 of 15
From the FCC

WDAF-TV 34 DS STA KANSAS CITY MO US BDSTA-20020325ACG - 11291 1.1 kW


He's right...that sucks!!!

The good news is that WDAF's license is a S.T.A. (Special TEMPORARY authority).

WDAF-TV 34 DT CP KANSAS CITY MO US BPCDT-19991004ABP - 11291 1000. kW

This CP is their construction permit for 1 MEGAWATT. Coming soon to an ATSC receiver near you. Hang in there
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by houselog442
Does anyone think E* will get FOX HD soon now that D* has it? With all this stuff about media consolidation and that Fox owns 34% of D*, dont they have to offer E* this channel as well? Its sucks right now because i live on the edge of 3 fox O & O markets, but can only get one on my digital antenna, and it happens to be the ONLY fox o & o in the country right now that is not in HD yet, grrrrr
E* doesn't even have NBC HD yet, let alone Fox. Compared to the HD Tivo, their 921 is considered crap and not very user-friendly by many of their subs. The price of it has dropped in half because it is being discontinued.
You can tell I'm a happy D* subscriber (since Nov. 1, 1994).
post #11 of 15
Quote:
With Fox HD on D* does this mean E* will get it soon?
No, it does not.
post #12 of 15
What about Voom, Ken?

:)

just kidding....
post #13 of 15
Charlie Ergen, CEO of Echostar, has said on two separate occasions this fall that Dish Network is beginning the transition to MPEG-4 next year, that new STBs that can handle MPEG-4 won't be available until around the end of 2005 . . . and that they won't be adding any new HD channels until MPEG-4 is ready to roll out.

So, apparently, there won't be any new HD channels on Dish for another year.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
What about Voom, Ken?

:)

just kidding....
Mark,

A pox upon your family and few friends.

:)

just kidding....




Sorry, it was just too easy.....
post #15 of 15
Sorry i did not reply to the 1100W vs 1KW been out of town. Yes i know that WDAF is "soon" to be at full power... just wish i could get the super bowl in HD. If it was not for the 1yr contract and upfront cost i would switch to D*.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › With Fox HD on D* does this mean E* will get it soon?