or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lg Mu42pm12x - Page 3  

post #61 of 166
Quote:
Originally posted by GePapa
How far are people sitting away from this plasma?
I will be approximately 8.5 ft from the tv, I am worried that 42 will be too small.
I currently have a 46" RPTV, and sit about 6 ft from it and I find it fits me quite well.
I would recommend sitting 7ft out to 14ft for a 42 inch

A friend of mine owns a 60" Sony LCD Projection and 8ft is way too close for my taste. I like his TV at about 12-14ft away.

Viewing distance is really a personal preference although the closer you sit the more imperfections you will see.
post #62 of 166
Hi Michael

I am interested in hooking up a PC to the LG-MU42PM12X through the DVI connector. I notice that the max resolution is 1024x768, and I was wondering if you could do a quick test and see if the monitor stretch the image to fill the whole screen? or would the image be centered, with black bars on the left and right of the image?

Thanks!
Slider
post #63 of 166
My thoughts exactly!! I will give it a try tonight I believe my video card has a DVI output I have an Asus V8440 GF4 Ti-4400. Do I use a normal DVI cable or should I use the DVI that came with my Dell LCD monitor? I guess I will end up trying both.


Also in the documentation for this monitor it says it comes with a DVI cable, well mine did not. I picked mine up from sams club for 1/10th what you would pay for a monster cable. They philips ultra reference series cables and are limited in supply.

-Michael
post #64 of 166
i know you guys both just got the plasmas but could you please go into a lil more details on the PQ you are experiencing??

any false contouring or anythign like that??

also is the glass shiny and have problems with reflections at various angles if lights are on in the room??

thanx in advance....
post #65 of 166
Quote:
Originally posted by ludeboy12
i know you guys both just got the plasmas but could you please go into a lil more details on the PQ you are experiencing??

any false contouring or anythign like that??

also is the glass shiny and have problems with reflections at various angles if lights are on in the room??

thanx in advance....


I do not know about contouring...I'm a newbie...But the picture quality is bright and crisp when viewing from 6ft to 14ft the color is excellent once you do some tweaking. The only thing that bothers me is when you are close to the screen when watching LOTR Return Of The King and you see dithering or pixelation of the dark gray areas on the screen but 5ft or more away you do not see this (may be my dvd player HarmanKardon DVD22)
High Def looks really good even up close you can see pores on peoples faces on head shots even 10ft from the screen. So far (48hrs) I am really happy with this monitor... Also the HK DVD22 looks great on this set. Movies look crisp and are bright and detailed (Factory settings on this display are way too bright) they really come to life. I will let you know more about the PC connection when I have more time...

The glass on the front is reflective during the day but only when viewing at less than optimum angles... Same as any plasma... at night no issues with this... unless a light is on and you are at the right angle to see it. Plasmas have a very wide viewing angle and you may catch some light from lamps, windows etc... I personally was not sold on plasmas but I have back problems and usually lay on a piece of foam in front of the display (lame I know) so I really could not go with a DLP or LCD rear projection (I have layed down in stores in front of these displays including a friends house and 25%-50% of brightness or picture is gone) and when I found this plasma at this price I could not pass it up without a try...



-Michael
post #66 of 166
I saw specs on the DU42PX12XC(consumer model) on avstore site and it lists a contrast ratio of 1200:1. I was trying to think why LG would decrease contrast ratios in 05 models when everything had been 5000:1. Also, my local CC has these new consumer models on their computer and will put one on display when they ditch the 04 PZ-71 as an open box. The new price will be on par with 04 ED sony models there(a little less). I wonder though if older models will be better, or is it just a spec thing?
One more question: avstore lists the consumer model with "hurricane" at the end of the #. What's that about?
Tony B
Sarasota Fl
post #67 of 166
All New models are 5000:1 contrast ratio, either that spec is wrong or its a model from last year. Avstore and the other stores still have alot of the 04 models on their sites, it seems to me that LG's new models are just starting to show up on the websites even though they have been out for a couple months.
post #68 of 166
AVstore is advertising it as a new model and based on the # it should be an 05. I hope they got it wrong. The specs and 05 models aren't on the LG site yet. I hope CC gets this new model displayed soon. Does more than the 04 HD, for less. The trend continues.
Tony B
post #69 of 166
Hi Tony

Don't worry, avstore probably just cut-and-paste the description. Check out this brochure...

Brochure

Slider
post #70 of 166
Strong work by Slider and LG. It looks very much externally like their Zenith ED. 5000:1 "improved" and an increased Brightness from 04 models at that price? When this gets around it should start a whole new buzz considering performance and price(close to Vizio @ Sams, I don't know the Costo price). And it's a K less at the online sites.
Thanks
Tony B
post #71 of 166
One more thing, does anyone know if the both the commercial and consumer model warranties are in home and 2 years?
Tony B
post #72 of 166
The Costco price for the Vizio is about the same as Sams - this week.

Deciding between the Vizio, the LG (but hate to buy blind, just based on reviews),
or the new Pioneer at Costco (a bit nicer than the Vizio, but is it worth $1K more).

I've written off the Dell, due to quality and customer service issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by wabkab
Strong work by Slider and LG. It looks very much externally like their Zenith ED. 5000:1 "improved" and an increased Brightness from 04 models at that price? When this gets around it should start a whole new buzz considering performance and price(close to Vizio @ Sams, I don't know the Costo price). And it's a K less at the online sites.
Thanks
Tony B
post #73 of 166
I emailed ITPros and was told that the LG MU-42PM12X warantee is 2 years
in home.


Quote:
Originally posted by wabkab
One more thing, does anyone know if the both the commercial and consumer model warranties are in home and 2 years?
Tony B
post #74 of 166
That's excellent to have the commercial models covered in home also. The commercial model has a totally different look, similar to the Pano Onyx-kind of.
In regard to the Vizio, it seems the model @ Costco is the new "e" model. I don't know if Sam's is the old PD42. Where is the info about Vizio @ Costco? I see nothing about it online.
Tony B
post #75 of 166
The book that was mailed to Costco members.

If you go to a Costco and ask, they'll also give you the book.

It is only good next week (Jan 17-23).

You can find out alot more by sifting thru the 2 Vizio threads here.


Quote:
Originally posted by wabkab
That's excellent to have the commercial models covered in home also. The commercial model has a totally different look, similar to the Pano Onyx-kind of.
In regard to the Vizio, it seems the model @ Costco is the new "e" model. I don't know if Sam's is the old PD42. Where is the info about Vizio @ Costco? I see nothing about it online.
Tony B
post #76 of 166
Thanks, we don't have a Costco in Sarasota, but within an hour(Tampa area)there are two. Looks like I'll have to join and do a "road trip".
Tony B
post #77 of 166
kdb209,

Please don't talk about prices (other than MSRP) and coupons, against AVS Forum rules! Otherwise the forum monitors will shutdown this thread.
post #78 of 166
Quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMike
My thoughts exactly!! I will give it a try tonight I believe my video card has a DVI output I have an Asus V8440 GF4 Ti-4400. Do I use a normal DVI cable or should I use the DVI that came with my Dell LCD monitor? I guess I will end up trying both.


Also in the documentation for this monitor it says it comes with a DVI cable, well mine did not. I picked mine up from sams club for 1/10th what you would pay for a monster cable. They philips ultra reference series cables and are limited in supply.

-Michael
Hi Michael

Did you have a chance to play around with the DVI connection?

Slider
post #79 of 166
No, sorry I just got my dish 921 high def recorder in and have been messing around with it. It is awesome but has some bugs. The dish guy is coming out on Saturday to install a quad LNB which will allow me to record 2 Hi Def shows at once and view another, also the extra is used for software downloads and updating the guide. Anyway I may get around to the pc connection this weekend I have some commitments but I may have the time...
post #80 of 166
MOD NOTE:

Please refrain from "PRICE AND COUPON TALK".

Thanks.

Dave
post #81 of 166
any update on this LG model.
Did anyone buy the optional stand?
If so where from?
Could you PM me the price of the stand please?
Thanks
post #82 of 166
I have had the LG for almost 2 weeks now and I can definitely recommend this monitor. I have had many people over to look at it (initially some skeptics about the low $$) and they were all blown away by the quality of picture in High-Def and DVD@480P. I have it hooked up to a Harman Kardon DVD22 and a DishNetwork 921 high-def twin tuner PVR receiver via DVI.

-Michael
post #83 of 166
Thread Starter 
I'll second that! Tomorrow the LG will be placed in its final resting spot , after cutting sheet rock, snaking wires and buying a few new components. Still waiting for the DVI cable. I needed a 50ft and was sent a 35ft. For now I can use the component . Also I need another satellite box I have the Sony sat hd200,a great box but I'm disappointed its not made anymore. I was going to buy the Samsung 360 but after reading this forum about all the bugs this unit has I had second thoughts. Any suggestion ?

I'll post some pics of the work.

How about some pics Mike ?
post #84 of 166
Have you guys noticed any false contouring?
post #85 of 166
Quote:
Originally posted by GePapa
Have you guys noticed any false contouring?
Yes, I have noticed some gradation of light colors mostly in dark scenes with fog or panning shots of a light blue sky or the halo around the sun. I have also seen this same effect on a friends LCD projection which also uses dish HD so I am not sure if it is my LG plasma or the HD signal. I have brought this up to friends of mine but they do not see it or it does not bother them (they say I'm crazy) but I know its there... to answer your question.

I am still very happy with the picture on this screen vs the LCD projection from Sony. I was dead set on buying an LCD or DLP projection but then opted for the LG plasma after seeing the price and also the quality of the picture on a retail version in a local Best Buy.

-Michael
post #86 of 166
Quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMike
Yes, I have noticed some gradation of light colors mostly in dark scenes with fog or panning shots of a light blue sky or the halo around the sun. I have also seen this same effect on a friends LCD projection which also uses dish HD so I am not sure if it is my LG plasma or the HD signal. I have brought this up to friends of mine but they do not see it or it does not bother them (they say I'm crazy) but I know its there... to answer your question.

I am still very happy with the picture on this screen vs the LCD projection from Sony. I was dead set on buying an LCD or DLP projection but then opted for the LG plasma after seeing the price and also the quality of the picture on a retail version in a local Best Buy.

-Michael
Do you feel this is a big issue that detracts from your viewing experience? Are you going to keep the display despite this problem? Have you tried setting your display up optimally to minimize the issue?
post #87 of 166
So how would you say this compares to the Vizio 42" Plasma from Costco? I really don't need the speakers or stand because I will wall mount it and use my surround sound, so really I don't need those features and so price is not really an issue because after taxes this plasma can be had for the same price. For the people that have it or know more about plasma's than me (i don't know that much, mostly just info i've gathered from here), should I wait out my rain check for the Vizio at Costco or go ahead and get this one? Also does this do 720p and all of the other features of the Vizio?
post #88 of 166
Quote:
Originally posted by GrandMasterJ
Do you feel this is a big issue that detracts from your viewing experience? Are you going to keep the display despite this problem? Have you tried setting your display up optimally to minimize the issue?

Only when sitting very close to the screen (4-6ft) is it really noticeable. Yes I am going to keep the display I am very happy with the picture overall this issue (besides possible burn-in) is the only issue that I have with this display.

I have the DVE calibration DVD but I have only spent about 30mins setting the contrast and colors and it still needs work so maybe that will help a little with the false contouring in dark scenes.
post #89 of 166
Does the DVI input on this unit accept computer DVI-D and DVI DVD players? Or is it one or the other?

Tulsa, did ITpros pressure you into buying a desktop stand or wall mount? (or any other accesories?)
post #90 of 166
I placed my order through itpros on friday and got it finalized today (had a problem with my bank's default daily spending limit on my bank card). They have been very nice, they DID try to sell me a Wall Mount or Stand, but didn't really hassle me about it. More or less just making sure that I knew this model does not come with either and I would need one, but I told them I already had a wall mount and that was the end of the conversion. So far my experience with them has been great, just hope I get it in time for the super bowl! They are suppose to email me tommorow with tracking information once LG provides it to them (because it's being drop shipped directly from LG).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked