or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Charlotte, NC - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 51

post #1501 of 7658
Anyone getting problems with WBTV Analog Feed?

I've noticed issues here - anlog only, HD's fine - So far confirmed in Catawba, Alexander and Caldwell Counties.

Picture is garbled with lines - like a very bad antenna connection - thought audio does not seem to be affected.
post #1502 of 7658
I've never been able to get WGHP 8 out of High Point but I don't know where their tower is.
post #1503 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post

I've never been able to get WGHP 8 out of High Point but I don't know where their tower is.

I believe that the tower for WGHP is located near Level Cross, NC in Randolph County. Down my way, they are one of my strongest OTA channels.
post #1504 of 7658
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post

I've never been able to get WGHP 8 out of High Point but I don't know where their tower is.

A link from the fcc page. The FCC site to query TV stations is http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

--Dale--
post #1505 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrfish1 View Post

I believe that the tower for WGHP is located near Level Cross, NC in Randolph County. Down my way, they are one of my strongest OTA channels.

If I remember correctly: WCHP broadcast their digital signal on low-power for quite a while. Their web-site said they weren't going to full-power until they finished their new tower near Ashboro. I'm in Salisbury and started being able to get the digital signal back in the 1st quarter of 2007.
post #1506 of 7658
WGHP-DT (channel 35 DT) is located at Randleman north of Asheboro and began full power broadcasting (1 million watts) in August 2006. Before that we broadcast at 4200 watts from the old tower on the same property from April of 2002.
post #1507 of 7658
Now that it is officially 2008, has anyone heard anything as to when WBTV, WCNC, or WCCB plan to begin broadcasting their local news in HD? I've sent a couple of emails to WBTV and WCNC, and haven't gotten any kind of response. I really don't think that overall WSOC has the best news broadcast, but it's the one I watch because it is in HD! I'd really like to see the FOX "foxes" in HD...bdfox18...can't you get your bosses to pony up for HD?
post #1508 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrfish1 View Post

I'd really like to see the FOX "foxes" in HD...bdfox18...can't you get your bosses to pony up for HD?

I'm sorry, I can't answer that question.As the old movie saying goes, I could but I'd have to kill you... All I can say is that it will happen sometime between now and 2009. And yes,we believe that Morgan, Talitha, Rebecca, Eva,and others, will be a treat in HD.
post #1509 of 7658
If BD told you everything he knows...eek...someone might kill him.

BD has survived because he is a good guy...a smart guy...and he knows who is the boss.

HD news at CCB? It costs money.

They have in the past....only made some improvements because of an FCC report......because ABC demanded them....and eventually switched to WSOCTV. WCCB TV was told by a top man at NBC...regarding NBC coming to WCCB TV.....tell CY not to worry.

NBC went to Channel 36.... Ever wonder why not WCCBTV? Ask the ABC and NBC executives of those days.

Fox came along.... and Fox...long ago demanded local news coverage...if you want to remain an affiliate. It took a long time...but it came.
The FCC rules contain.......operate...in the public interest, convenience and necessity. WSOC and WBT followed those rules from the early 20s and 30s.

Broadcasting has become a very competitive business.....much as the banks...and services stations.... mergers....new owners... changes.
Some for the good some not so good.

WCCB TV will eventually have HD local news.

New owners have entered each of the other stations.

Time will tell. Times change.some people do not change. Always ask or try to discover the real motives of others. It is not what they say.it is what they do. Just as persons .they are not all they pretend to be. Better to find that out.early. and then you don't waste your time or years under their thumb.

The whole story may never be told.

This is not from an unknowing source. Management...owners..may not approve. The truth does not change.
post #1510 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevohdftmill View Post

The geek that I am......

Due to tropospheric bend, I got the following digital signals when I was turning the antenna on 12-8-07...

WXII - Winston Salem
WFMY - Greensboro ( I get this pretty often)
WTVD - Durham
WRAL - Raleigh
WITN - Washington NC. ( My wife was not impressed that we could watch the weather on the Outer Banks from 260+ miles)

I normally get all Charlotte stations and all Columbia stations with the exception of WLTX due to directional signal and WSPA in Greenville.

I have also gotten:

WBTW - Dillon
WTAT - Charleston
WLOS - Asheville

Please tell us of the equipment you are using...to bring in these stations. Off the Air HD is much better than cable or satellite. (And for now...it is free.)
Also....just where you are... at least the area.

HD is very good. However...it does not provide better programming. Better programming is hard to find. Media Mediocrity is in abundance.
post #1511 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougbell View Post

If BD told you everything he knows...eek...someone might kill him..

Hey Doug-
I'm NOT Bob Delvalle, FYi..But he is still here..

And I can tell you that you're comments are now inaccurate and do NOT apply to the current management of WCCB & Bahakel.
post #1512 of 7658
Right now it's ecconomics 101 all over again...

FCC wants to regain analog spectrum - forces change to Digital
FCC has not re-written old rules on what must be carried by cable
FCC may or may not, current I think they are waiting to see what happens.

Current logic is, local networks are being made to go digital, right now they are not mandated by FCC's must carry to GIVE these digital feeds to anyone

MUST CARRY was a mandate that cable companies must carry the networks that broadcast in their footprint - this in general is a good practice for two reasons

1) Stations could not be cut off from the subscribing public (consider this like "network neutrality" for broadcasting - ABC can't complain that CBS has an exclusive deal with say Time Warner or Charter and they can't reach thos subscribers etc)

2) Cable companies would not have to incur PROGRAMMING cost (of course we have to have the equipment to push it through our cable plant) to carry channels that it's customers can receive for "FREE" via the airwaves.

Now, personally I'd like to see a Digital / HD Must Carry mandate (of course because of my employment I would be considered biased) because, as anyone knows, increased operating cost are passed on to the consumer - if it cost Charter or TimeWarner $5 more per sub to carry NBC in HD, then those subscribers are likely to see at least a $5 increase in their bills (I say at least because there are other factors driving increases, such as operating expenses, network and equipment upgrades and of course the requirements of Franchise agreements)

But for now the FCC is not acting, Hopefully it's because they want to see a new mutually benificial behavoir work out between broadcasters and MSOs - To a degree I can somewhat understand their side of it - yes it cost money to broadcast a channel - but at the same time - that broadcast has traditionally been paid for by advertising - afterall, you don't pay to pick it up with an antenna.

Dish companies where never required to air these channels, but at the same time therefore have to pay to get them. This of course has gotten alot of companies (I won't say any names... but a certain network in Charlotte) thinking they can do this to Cable companies who now find themselves negotiating for channels not mandated by Must Carry)

As I understand it at this point and time, once Analog goes away, ONE digital feed will be designated the primary and this will become "Must Carry"

Anyway... I'm spinning off on FCC and Channel feeds at lightspeed when the last post was HD programming, Back to the point -

Consumer Electronoics Companies have pretty much had to go digital now, and given the performance and cost, it's of course better to get someone to go to HD rather than just settling for the same old tube with a digital receiver... So HD CAPABILITY is becoming more and more common. With the change to the digital spectrum, more bandwidth will become availible... so we see a change in the landscape...

For now that landscape is a large number of SD digitals dotted with HDs


It costs more to produce a broadcast in HD, the only upside of it is, they don't have to re-broadcast it in SD, as it already includes the data needed for 480i resolution (so long as something can decode the HD picture and input it to the TV) - So while Syndicated programming that's the bread and butter of a major Network (Particularlly Prime Time) are the Stars of a HD network - local in-house stuff is left to management (News, Commercials etc)

But, let's remember News is a competitive service... and the networks are themselves competitive... so if say ABC and NBC are doing news in HD, the others have to be eyeballing it if they want to remain competivite - *providing* that the consumer is going to change network news programs because they want it in Hd.

Personally I get 99% my news online and even with an HD TV and converter, I watch the analog when I do watch the locals... because with my TV and converter I just don't see a heck of alot of difference unless it's a major HD production (like CSI etc...)

If a network wants to look cutting edge and wants bragging rights against competitions, they are going to push as much of their content as possible to HD... because it IS better... but right now some of these networks do not feel any worry for competitive loss if they don't.

It will probably be quite a while before we see all HD... and I'm wagering once it's all Digital there won't be much "steam" for an immediate press onward to HD...

Ultimately Money votes - and for a broadcaster that money comes from advertising... which relies on eyeballs--- If you're not watching it, it won't sell as much ad time - and therefore won't bring in as much.

If people quit watching shows that are not in HD on an HD feed... it will send a message - unfortunately most marketing twits will think that message is more about the content itself rather than how it's produced... and ... even if they get the message, they'll have to deal with managers and bean counters who want the lowest bottom line... (maximum profit for minimum expense)


So ultimately my point is "Vote with your Remote" and pray that someone, somewhere "gets it"...
post #1513 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougbell View Post

The whole story may never be told.

This is not from an unknowing source. Management...owners..may not approve. The truth does not change.

The whole story will never be told...

Parts becuase many will go to extravagant lengths to cover their arses, be it bribery, illicit extortion, or most common method threat of legal action (which might as well be considered financial and political extortion)

Parts because many of the legal, financial and technicial barriers to be crossed will not keep up with the required hype and standards of what's news-worthy in today's News for the attention deficit...

And of course because it would be hard to make it a best selling book or movie with major stars and alot of ficitious drama added *L* (coming to a theater near you, Matt Daemon in "The Good News Anchor" a drama about one Anchorman's fight to get his newscast in HD... ) Let's face it, movies about the broadcasting and news media tend to be comedies if they are *REALLY* going to get watched.... (yes "Good night and Good luck" got critical acclaim... but really, how much did it gross, including after theater distribution compared to "Anchorman")

Let us also remember that reality is defined by perception, while truth is defined as that happened in reality. As such truth is reliant on one's perception.

It's been said there's three sides to each story - Your's, Mine and the Truth.

In practice everyone has their own truth, definied by their their perception of relality, altered only by what they will and will not accept.
post #1514 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Hey Doug-
I'm NOT Bob Delvalle, FYi..But he is still here..

And I can tell you that you're comments are now inaccurate and do NOT apply to the current management of WCCB & Bahakel.

BDFOX: Thanks for the information...that Bob is still there. bdfox18...Bob Delvalle.... That would seem to be DelValle. I use my name....rather than post anonoymously. Tell Bob Hello.

Your postings could well be the same as Bob would make.

You confirm my post...with your .."comments are now inaccurate...." That would imply they were correct. Then....why no HD News....?

Channel 18 has come a long way.... Let me know who you are....and if you want to privately continue with this. I am writing a book...you might want to contribute to the current days there. It is titled..."The Three Ring Circus"...AM FM TV.

What is seen and heard now...once was only seen at a fair's sideshows.

This is not the place for this stuff. Most people do not care about these things. Glad to know you are not Bob DV 18. He is one of a kind.
post #1515 of 7658
You live in a dream world. I can provide you with a very long list of those who were there. Were you? I once stopped the wife of a just dismissed employee.....on the stairs to HQ...she was there to do what? I just happened to be walking through the lobby...saw her anger...
I stopped her...and I took her outside and told her...what she was there for was not the answer. Reality? You say "many"...to whom are you referring?
Attorneys. A Wake Forest Law School cartoon is the picture of a plaintiff ...at the head of a cow...pulling on the horns. The defendant was at the rear of the cow....pullling on the tail of the cow. The attorney was sitting on a stool....milking the cow.

There are not enough horses heads to go around. (You must be a joy to work with. Lots of jumbo.... and it is your viewpoint of something you have not seen...or been a part of. )

You could have helped Solomon? Have you covered your behind?
Would you know the ...yours..mine...the truth.? That is an old knee jerk action. Evidence is the truth. Who said anything about "a best selling book". Many books are written without the idea of profit or gain...which books would you burn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

The whole story will never be told...

Parts becuase many will go to extravagant lengths to cover their arses, be it bribery, illicit extortion, or most common method threat of legal action (which might as well be considered financial and political extortion)

Parts because many of the legal, financial and technicial barriers to be crossed will not keep up with the required hype and standards of what's news-worthy in today's News for the attention deficit...

And of course because it would be hard to make it a best selling book or movie with major stars and alot of ficitious drama added *L* (coming to a theater near you, Matt Daemon in "The Good News Anchor" a drama about one Anchorman's fight to get his newscast in HD... ) Let's face it, movies about the broadcasting and news media tend to be comedies if they are *REALLY* going to get watched.... (yes "Good night and Good luck" got critical acclaim... but really, how much did it gross, including after theater distribution compared to "Anchorman")

Let us also remember that reality is defined by perception, while truth is defined as that happened in reality. As such truth is reliant on one's perception.

It's been said there's three sides to each story - Your's, Mine and the Truth.

In practice everyone has their own truth, definied by their their perception of relality, altered only by what they will and will not accept.
post #1516 of 7658
This might have been covered before, but...

Why did WTVI choose to broadcast the digital signal via VHF instead of UHF? Are there any plans to change to UHF? I am replacing antenna's in the attic, the newer amplified UHF models are nice and compact. But they are no good with respect to VHF digital stations.

Of the 8 stations in Charlotte with Digital transmitters, WTVI id the only one doing it with VHF.

Thanks,
Tom
post #1517 of 7658
WTVI at first wanted to be on 24 (get it? 42 backwards). WBTV DT is on 23 so unless they located the transmitter close to WBTV's there would be a chance of signal problems. That's what I heard anyway.

There are no plans to move off of VHF-11. One of the good things about being on VHF is it takes less power to cover the market.
post #1518 of 7658
The old story is a UHF signal being better than a VHF signal...(picture)...UHF ...had to have more power to cover the same area.

This brings up the question.....will the WTVI VHF digital transmission end when all current VHF and UHF will cease to operate?
Bob Davis or Bob DelValle at 18 would be a good source for that answer.
(along with your amateur call letters...you must know of Dave Smith's health problem. Anyone who knows Dave..should let him know your concern...and a prayer for him. )

WTVI is .....I am told...one of the best equipped stations in the market. non-commercial. Listener and tax supported...and supported by foundations.. Charles Crutchfield of WBTV and other stations..in the beginning....gave them equipment to help them get going. (it seems to be somewhere in my memory....that channel 18 was the original public channel....and that was moved to channel 42...because 18 had a better broadcast reception, advantage. Anyone who can correct that or explain?

The old, early public station was in a small building behind the old, old coliseum on Independence Boulevard. WCCB is and has been located there many years. Does anyone remember that…and did WTVI or that channel go black for some time during the channel change?

The Charlotte broadcasting history…..needs to be witten in a book. It is much a part of our heritage…Going back to the experimental station Earle Gluck built …in the 1920’s ….in a garage…or chicken coop..way back then…. later became WBT.

Amateur radio…is not the name it should have…they are much more than amateurs. And have served well in time of public disasters.
Also….they have helped through the years….service men and women….overseas to communicate with their folks here at home.

An almost forgotten part of a great group of people… No station is better than its people.
post #1519 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

One of the good things about being on VHF is it takes less power to cover the market.

I guess that it is fortunate for our market that there are two more PBS stations that broadcast HD.
At least WNSC-DT 30 has a 24 hour HD signal.
post #1520 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by netconcepts View Post

I guess that it is fortunate for our market that there are two more PBS stations that broadcast HD.
At least WNSC-DT 30 has a 24 hour HD signal.

WNSC-DT is the only PBS I can regularly receive from my apt in south Charlotte. No outside antennas here!
post #1521 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstang View Post

WNSC-DT is the only PBS I can regularly receive from my apt in south Charlotte. No outside antennas here!

You have the best PBS in the market. I don't know why the other two can't do as well. The HD programs on WNSC are very good.
post #1522 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

The HD programs on WNSC are very good.

I do agree, there are times though that WTVI-HD has an alternative program running rather than the PBS national feed that WNSC-HD runs.

It is really nice to have the such a wide choice of channels available in the Charlotte Market.

We are even seeing some HD re-runs on the CW and MyTv channels in the afternoon/weekend.
post #1523 of 7658
In case anyone is looking for them I noticed the Best Buy on Independence has a stack of the Insignia DTV converters. There was no display but the box had a picture on it. The box is quite small. The stack is under the DirecTV display.

I'm thinking of getting the Zenith because I've heard some good things about that box. There is a rumor the Insignia is actually the same box. It had made in China on it. Seems like they make everything these days!
post #1524 of 7658
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

In case anyone is looking for them I noticed the Best Buy on Independence has a stack of the Insignia DTV converters.

This is a DTV tuner that outputs on RF channel 3/4? Did you get your $40 off (or whatever it is) coupon from the government, or are you footing the entire bill?

--Dale--
post #1525 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

In case anyone is looking for them I noticed the Best Buy on Independence has a stack of the Insignia DTV converters. There was no display but the box had a picture on it. The box is quite small. The stack is under the DirecTV display.

I'm thinking of getting the Zenith because I've heard some good things about that box. There is a rumor the Insignia is actually the same box. It had made in China on it. Seems like they make everything these days!

Most Walmart stores have the Magavox unit for $49.95
post #1526 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

This is a DTV tuner that outputs on RF channel 3/4? Did you get your $40 off (or whatever it is) coupon from the government, or are you footing the entire bill?

--Dale--

I have applied but haven't received the $40 off cards yet. I'm going to wait until then to buy. The TV in the living room already has the Digitalstream box on it. So at least I have one DTV capable set. We haven't used the analog tuner in the TV for a long time (DirecTV before that).
post #1527 of 7658
I just discovered today WCCB 18 does something kinda cool. If you go to 18.3 where they show the radar and play the NOAA weather radio, flip through the audio selections that are usually used for different languages and you will hear the Rock Hill and Columbia NOAA radio as well as Charlotte.
post #1528 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

I just discovered today WCCB 18 does something kinda cool. If you go to 18.3 where they show the radar and play the NOAA weather radio, flip through the audio selections that are usually used for different languages and you will hear the Rock Hill and Columbia NOAA radio as well as Charlotte.

Yea..been that way for years tho.. I may add the new just installed one up at Mooresville(?) someday.
post #1529 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Yea..been that way for years tho.. I may add the new just installed one up at Mooresville(?) someday.

On one of the 18.1 audio subchannels I noticed there was audio from a basketball game. That wasn't what was on the screen. What's that all about?
post #1530 of 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

On one of the 18.1 audio subchannels I noticed there was audio from a basketball game. That wasn't what was on the screen. What's that all about?

I noticed the strange audio on WCCB-DT. It is Fox Sports West. Just curious why 18-1 is broadcasting audio from a cable channel. Also the audio was going out on local commercials (Windstream ads) during the Nascar Race Sunday. Did this happen to anyone else?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Charlotte, NC - OTA