Originally Posted by Trip in VA
I am very much looking forward to your results when all is said and done. Do let us know!
It's not all said and done yet, but I do have some interesting things to report. There is no splitter in the waterproof junction box outside the house. It's dry and nicely insulated in there, with a cable exiting through the bottom. It is this cable that provides my connection from the outdoor antenna through the wall to the television.
Curiously, the cable that runs from the television out through the wall of the house is RG59. It may be about four, or at the most 5 feet long. I will be replacing this with RG6, perhaps with a single run from the antenna through the wall to the TV with no breaks/connections.
The RG59 looks and feels old. I messed with the (crimped on?) fitting on the outside end of it, cleaned it up a bit, and refastened the antenna cable to it. I also climbed up to the Winegard HD8200 on its mast, removed the RCA RG6 at the fitting, and cleaned that fitting too, then refastened it. I went back inside and re-tuned the TV and I brought in WJZY, my current target channel, in brilliant OTA glory.
I went to Lowes and got a compression fitting tool, and some Snap-n-Seal water tight (proof?) connectors. When I have a few minutes I'm going to replace both ends on this relatively new RG6 coax (RCA branded). When I was cleaning one of the ends the end popped off. I put it back on, and it was fine. Got WJZY. The fittings on the cable don't look as good as the Snap n Seal fittings.
I also got the DB8 today, and put it together in about 20 minutes, in spite of the pictures and the directions. I also hooked it to the antenna cable, but just with it sitting on the deck, kind of pointed toward the ground as I was doing this without an assistant. Man that thing is tiny compared to the Winegard! I got a lot of channels with blocks of color and sound. More then the Winegard currently gets. But, the only channels it got perfectly was WJZY and the PBS stations. The rest were all broken up, but there. Remember, the antenna was propped up on the deck and shifted so it was pointed some distance away at the ground. Very bad directionally, I would think.
The 91XG was supposed to have been cancelled when I spoke with Antennas Direct, but it wasn't. It was sent out of their warehouse at the same time as the DB8, just via a different carrier. So both will be here. I'm a little aggravated at the shipping, etc, but will likely make lemonade out of the lemons, and hook both up so I can compare them with each other and with the Winegard.
Bottom line though, the old Winegard works now (definition: picks up that one channel I was missing out on), and would, I think, continue to work if I get new fittings on the coax, and ditch the short run of RG59.
I've never put fittings on coaxial cable, but I assume I can do it. Lowes had a "Snap-n-Seal" Thomas and Betts compression connection tool for just under $30, and an Ideal PrepPro Coax/UTP cable stripper for about $16. I figure that given that the fitting fell off one end of the RCA RG6 today when I was cleaning it, I can at least do it that well, and I can then re-use the new-ish RCA cable.
I'm curious to know what any of you might think or recommend given my recent brief adventures with the astonishing outcome - picking up WJZY! And it's two days to kick-off...