or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Charlotte, NC - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 243

post #7261 of 7653
Is your remote broken and Tv stuck on WAXN? rolleyes.gif
post #7262 of 7653

Not enough subchannels in Charlotte?

 

You should count your blessings.

Here's a small market that gets along with just two stations:

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=wbkb#station

post #7263 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

Not enough subchannels in Charlotte?

You should count your blessings.
Here's a small market that gets along with just two stations:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=wbkb#station
They also have an analog TV station that oddly seems to now be licensed by Luken. (RetroTV, Tuff, PB&J, & Family)

For a place that only has 10,000 people and the 3rd smallest DMA I'd say they are doing pretty good. Entertaining weather personality too.... (though no Mark Mathis)
post #7264 of 7653
Speaking of Mark Mathis, I wish he would return to Charlotte. He was an entertaining alternative to the other stations. And where is he now? ... And speaking of weather, most major Charlotte stations had extended coverage the the big snowstorm, including WBTV which went from 3pm to 8pm. So certainly no lack of covergage or advanced warning on all channels.
post #7265 of 7653
Quote:
...including WBTV which went from 3pm to 8pm. So certainly no lack of covergage or advanced warning on all channels.

Wow, mind boggling there was 5 straight hours of coverage for 0.6" of light snow. Correction: Major Snow Storm. haha. Snow which they originally said had no chance of coming to Charlotte. I do agree with you, Mathis or that guy from Michigan would be welcome because if the TV stations insist on putting this kind of nonsense on the air, then they should at least get some real entertainers. I watched a few minutes of it but turned it off as I couldn't take the droning reporters taking 5 minutes to essentially say. "it's snowing". I will give them credit though for being able to talk loudly for so long without taking a breath.


I looked up Mathis on Wiki. It says that he is currently doing the weather in El Paso.
post #7266 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

Wow, mind boggling there was 5 straight hours of coverage for 0.6" of light snow. Correction: Major Snow Storm. haha. Snow which they originally said had no chance of coming to Charlotte. I do agree with you, Mathis or that guy from Michigan would be welcome because if the TV stations insist on putting this kind of nonsense on the air, then they should at least get some real entertainers. I watched a few minutes of it but turned it off as I couldn't take the droning reporters taking 5 minutes to essentially say. "it's snowing". I will give them credit though for being able to talk loudly for so long without taking a breath.


I looked up Mathis on Wiki. It says that he is currently doing the weather in El Paso.
Well I think they may have taken a 30 minute break on WBTV for the CBS Evening News. But all channels had additional coverage, as WSOC added a 4pm newscast, and WCNC had 2 hours of prime time coverage on 36.1 and 36.2. And I thought all the stations did a good job with the extended coverage, and it was interesting to watch the snow storm move through Charlotte and across the Carolinas, from the mountains to the coast. Also it was important to note that the snow turned to ice on the roads and traveling was indeed treacherous, as I had to go to work on 3rd shift last night. But made it back home ok, although others were not so lucky as there were numerous accidents everywhere. So I would say the coverage was warranted.
post #7267 of 7653

Stations seem to be adding more local news coverage during the day.

WNCN in the Raleigh market just added a 11:00 a.m. newscast.

post #7268 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

Stations seem to be adding more local news coverage during the day..

Correct. There is a limited availability of affordable, quality syndicated programming out there. Adding more newscasts is a cost efficient way of adding more salable inventory using existing staff and resources.
post #7269 of 7653

I'm considering replacing one of my 1080P LCD TVs with a LED 4K if it would result in significantly better screen images from local OTA. I've read claims that both SD and HD should be improved but I'm leery that might just be marketing hype.

Has anyone here viewed OTA on a LED 4K Ultra HD and compared it with a regular LCD TV?
post #7270 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post


I'm considering replacing one of my 1080P LCD TVs with a LED 4K if it would result in significantly better screen images from local OTA. I've read claims that both SD and HD should be improved but I'm leery that might just be marketing hype.

Has anyone here viewed OTA on a LED 4K Ultra HD and compared it with a regular LCD TV?
No, forget LED. Get a Panasonic plasma while you still can. ST60 model. Much better overall picture quality, better black levels, reduced motion blur, and no side angle image fade. Or, at a lower price point, the Samsung 51F4500 is $469 this week, and the 43 inch version is $379. Even this 720p model has a better picture than most of the overpriced LEDs. And OTA reception looks very good.
post #7271 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post


I've read claims that both SD and HD should be improved but I'm leery that might just be marketing hype.

For OTA it sounds like marketing hype to me. There are very few panel manufacturers out there. Two years ago it was 3D TV and now that's dead, they need something else to make people pay high premiums for TV.

I do think some TV/Monitors, even professional ones have differences in PQ not because they have a different panel in them, but they have better electronics/software decoding & deinterlacing (if needed) the data stream into video. Some TVs have really cheap chips in them. My Samsung falls into this category. Direct OTA picture is OK. OTA picture sent through DVR (with a real GPU) is higher quality. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to it as other Samsungs are better.
post #7272 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Correct. There is a limited availability of affordable, quality syndicated programming out there. Adding more newscasts is a cost efficient way of adding more salable inventory using existing staff and resources.
Yea nothing much to watch anymore since Oprah ended her show.wink.gif
post #7273 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Yea nothing much to watch anymore since Oprah ended her show.wink.gif

We still have Ellen smile.gif
post #7274 of 7653
Speaking of talk shows, I am disappointed that NBC is making Jay Leno step down again. He is still the top rated late night talk show. Some of Fallon's sketches are good, but overall I like Leno and his monologue better. I like the headlines and the Jaywalking, and the man on the street interviews with unsuspecting and ignorant people. I will probably switch over to Letterman more often. And this change will leave Jimmy Kimmel with the only Hollywood based show.
post #7275 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

For OTA it sounds like marketing hype to me. There are very few panel manufacturers out there. Two years ago it was 3D TV and now that's dead, they need something else to make people pay high premiums for TV.

I do think some TV/Monitors, even professional ones have differences in PQ not because they have a different panel in them, but they have better electronics/software decoding & deinterlacing (if needed) the data stream into video. Some TVs have really cheap chips in them. My Samsung falls into this category. Direct OTA picture is OK. OTA picture sent through DVR (with a real GPU) is higher quality. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to it as other Samsungs are better.
Since OTA TV broadcasts in 720p and 1080i, I don't see how an expensive 4K Ultra HDTV will make much difference. But I could be wrong. But we have a Samsung 43F4500 TV in the bedroom, and the 720p OTA picture looks very good.
post #7276 of 7653
Haha. Here is a 4K TV for you. (Read the comments smile.gif )

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9-85-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B00CMEN95U
post #7277 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

Haha. Here is a 4K TV for you. (Read the comments smile.gif )

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9-85-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B00CMEN95U

hahaha!!! I don't really know what to say. I also don't really know anything more about the TV!
post #7278 of 7653
post #7279 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-04/fcc-may-crack-down-on-multiple-tv-station-strategies.html

This could be significant.....or....amount to nothing.


Yeah in the whole Belo/Gannett thing.. Belo never went away.
post #7280 of 7653
Apparently the school bus is stopping near the sex offender's house, according to a special investigation by WBTV. Must be a ratings month again, as these problems always seem to appear about that time.
post #7281 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Apparently the school bus is stopping near the sex offender's house, according to a special investigation by WBTV. Must be a ratings month again, as these problems always seem to appear about that time.
You'll know for sure when Puppy Mill stories start.
post #7282 of 7653
In recent ratings, WAXN is the top rated 10pm newscast, and WCCB has dropped to second place. So far WJZY cannot hold on to the FOX lead in audience for its 10:00 newscast. According to Charlotte Observer story to be printed in the Saturday paper. Perhaps someone can post a link to the Mark Washburn story which attempts to explain the format of the WJZY newscast. And apparently WJZY plans to add a 6pm newscast this summer..
post #7283 of 7653
post #7284 of 7653
I understand what WJZY is trying to do, but when I watch news I want to see live reports from the latest breaking news. Direct from the anchor desk with a strong team of anchors and reporters. Like WSOC does a good job. Not a group of reporters sitting around and chatting about the news with a TMZ like format. They can still use iPads in the field and utilize social media, but don't altogether abandon a traditional newscast format. Once again, I say look at their own FOX-5 in DC and FOX-8 in Greensboro and bring that successful format to Charlotte. Then add on the social media aspect if you want to later.
post #7285 of 7653
Signal strength is down about 20% today on WCNC. Normally about 80--85%, today I am getting 58-60%. All other Charlotte signals normal, including WBTV and WJZY around 100%. So don't think it is the weather.
post #7286 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

I think the WGN newscast in Chicago is at 9 p.m. central time (10 p.m. eastern).
At least, that's the way it used to be.

Still is. It still airs nationwide and is STUNNING in HD on Directv.

Edit: I lied. The WGN News at 9 isn't there anymore, but the midday report is. I was sick this week and watched it the other day. The late news used to be there rather recently, I could have sworn...

Most of the news on there is only available in-market, so the 9pm WGN News is there, just not nationwide anymore.
Edited by ejb1980 - 2/8/14 at 6:16pm
post #7287 of 7653
A lot of off-topic posts have been removed. For the HD Radio chatter, we have a whole section devoted to that. Feel free to start a local thread there and link it here.

While we allow a lot of latitude in the Local Reception areas, it can and has gotten out of hand. Enough so that I've heard from a number of members. I do apologize that I haven't had time in the past week to do much about it. I've been slammed with my day job and my side gig, appearances, meetings and such. I rolled the thread back a little bit. When I get more time, I'll try to work on it further.

Keep it on or at least moderately close to the topic. Thanks.
post #7288 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

A lot of off-topic posts have been removed. For the HD Radio chatter, we have a whole section devoted to that. Feel free to start a local thread there and link it here.

While we allow a lot of latitude in the Local Reception areas, it can and has gotten out of hand. Enough so that I've heard from a number of members. I do apologize that I haven't had time in the past week to do much about it. I've been slammed with my day job and my side gig, appearances, meetings and such. I rolled the thread back a little bit. When I get more time, I'll try to work on it further.

Keep it on or at least moderately close to the topic. Thanks.

 

Thank you for your efforts to keep the threads on topic. I think some of us just didn't know where discussions of local programming (such as local news shows) fit in. The existence of local programming is one of the main reasons to have local OTA broadcasts, so I hope some forum can be provided for those kinds of discussions. I do understand, though, why you may want the OTA threads to focus on hardware and reception and only allow programming discussions in the cable threads, where hardware and reception may be less of an issue.

post #7289 of 7653
One of the main reasons I use an antenna is to receive news and local programming. Therefore sometimes discussions naturally move into the topic of programming received by the antenna. And I thought this thread is supposedly about local HDTV information as well as reception. I did not realize info meant exclusively technical and hardware. I thought it also meant news about the local TV stations. But if a separate news and programming forum were provided, I would be happy to comment there. But I am more than happy to discuss antennas and reception from a consumer perspective, as I am a major proponent of OTA TV broadcasting.
post #7290 of 7653
I thought the same thing too about local HDTV info. It's clear what the reception part means.

I looked back at the beginning of the topic, and there doesn't seem to be anything there that describes what's allowed here. I can see where in '03 discussions about the local availability of local HDTV and HDTVs would generate a lot of discussion on it's own. It was rare, expensive, and the digital transition was still years away. These days however, HDTV is everywhere, so I'm not sure that alone warrants much of a discussion now. IMO, it's more of a question of why someone would want to spend the time to put up an antenna in CLT now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Charlotte, NC - OTA