or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Charlotte, NC - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 34

post #991 of 7653
I am hoping that dish adds charlotte locals before football season kicks off or i will be hungry for football games in HD!!!!!
post #992 of 7653
Get ready all you TWC football haters ...

Check out this article in today's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/foot...l-network_x.htm

I LOVE IT!!!!! Finally, TWC is being exposed. I can't wait until I see the first ad that the NFL Network runs that mentions Time Warner. I especially like the NFL Network rep's quote:

"We think it's asinine that Time Warner (the nation's No. 2 cable provider) carries 12 shopping channels and 50 other channels you don't want but can't find room for one dedicated to the most popular sport in this country," Palansky says. "We're replacing the kid gloves with bare knuckles."

Amen.

The way I see it, TWC now has 2 choices. They can continue their current stance of ignoring customer demand and crying the blues about subscription fees (while they count the record profits they are reaping from you and me)-- all the while not giving a damn how many THOUSANDS of subscribers leave for satellite. OR, they will grudgingly sign up with the NFL ... for about double the cost that they could have gotten 2 years ago.

So, all you shopping channel lovers, can get busy and dial your favorite TWC sychophant and tell them to hold firm and not bend under the pressure of the mean old NFL. Somehow, I think that the football lovers who will finally realize what TWC is doing, will also pick up the phone (better yet, email our pal Fred Dressler, TWC VP of Programming at fred.dressler@twcable.com) -- and I bet they out number the sports haters.

I don't blame the NFL for doing this-- they know that most cable subscribers just sit back ignorantly, and take whatever is jammed down their throat--- sound familiar (i.e. federal government ... but that's another story for another day)?

It shall be interesting, at the very least!!!!
post #993 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadfannc View Post

Get ready all you TWC football haters ...

And just what does this have to do with OTA? Sounds like you're just running around trying to stir stuff up with TWC by posting this everywhere..

At the least you could provide a working link..
post #994 of 7653
I am new to sat. this is my first time ever having it and it was just installed last week. When was the last roll out of local HD channels? Football season is only a couple of weeks away and i am dieing for my locals in HD. I can not see myself spending the money to invest in OTA equipment if i can get them through my reciever in the coming weeks or months.

Any help or new would be greatly appreciated as well as getting this thread back on topic as previously mentioned.
post #995 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by packman95 View Post

I am new to sat. this is my first time ever having it and it was just installed last week. When was the last roll out of local HD channels? Football season is only a couple of weeks away and i am dieing for my locals in HD. I can not see myself spending the money to invest in OTA equipment if i can get them through my reciever in the coming weeks or months.

Any help or new would be greatly appreciated as well as getting this thread back on topic as previously mentioned.

Technically, to get this thread back on topic, shouldn't you refrain from discussing Sat. reception since this is an OTA Thread

Who is you Sat Provider? Dish or Directv? Directv just rolled out locals (End of June) for charlotte (except WBTV for some reason) AFAIK Dish still does not have locals via Satellite.
post #996 of 7653
New here and not sure what happened to a post I made yesterday about a problem I was having with loss of sound on HD channels. If someone could shoot me a private message to let me know what happened, I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry to post this here but I couldn't find an appropriate place to do so. Just hoping for some help with my problem and I apologize if this was the wrong forum for it. But now I can't even find my original post.
post #997 of 7653
Your post was in the Time Warner cable thread, this is the Over-The-Air antenna thread.

See your post here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8086296
post #998 of 7653
I just noticed today that WBTV-HD is now on D*! Great news...since they are my second weakest OTA HD channel! The picture quality on D* seems to be almost as good as OTA, also. More good news.
post #999 of 7653
Does anyone know if WJZY is going to be operating at full power before the new TV season starts?

I receive WWWB (I forget the new callsign) perfectly, but have crap signal with WJZY, as I understand it, these stations are broadcast from the same tower right?

Why would CW pick an inferior channel!
post #1000 of 7653
How are you guys getting local HD from D*? I called and the customer service said it is not available. There were extra channel 9, 18 and 36 s on my HD receiver, but now they are gone. What is up?
post #1001 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddisme View Post

How are you guys getting local HD from D*? I called and the customer service said it is not available. There were extra channel 9, 18 and 36 s on my HD receiver, but now they are gone. What is up?

Do you have the H20 receiver and the 5 LNB dish? These are required for local HD channels from Directv. If so, you should be able to get WBTV (3); WSOC (9); WCCB (18); and WCNC (36) in HD. The HD feeds from D* appear in the guide under their call names (except for 3 which is WBTV-D). The channels that say "CT 3, CT 9, CT 18, or CT 36" are the standard definition channels. If you have OTA HD channels included they will show up as 3-1, 9-1, 18-1, and 36-1. Hope this helps!
post #1002 of 7653
You need the MPEG4 set-top box and the 5-lnb dish in order to receive the Charlotte locals in HD. They are available despite what the CSR told you.

For future reference, ask your questions on AVS - then tell the CSRs exactly what you want. CSR accuracy can vary.
post #1003 of 7653
When I had my receiver upgraded to the HD pkg(10/05), they put in a different kind of dish, but I am guessing it's not the 5lnb? How do I tell?
post #1004 of 7653
post #1005 of 7653
That is what mine looks like I think. It has one big one and smaller ones to the side. I will check it when I get home. My ota antannea works well most of the time, except when it is windy, but if I can get it thru the receiver and the pic quality is not too bad, it would be better. I have alot of money invested in my media room, but I have a $40 antannea sitting on top of 2 boxes. WAF is bad until she starts watching Panthers, then she can live with it. Thanks for the info.
post #1006 of 7653
Some basic questions.

I'm located in South East Charlotte Approximately Providence Road & I 485. I've been putting an HTPC together past few months and since football is looming. I'm running out of time to get antenna installed & Tuner card into the box.

Was looking at the DB4 antenna and my stated distance from the main cluster of digital stations (per antenna web) is 15 miles for PBS / ABC & FOX and 30 Miles for NBC & CBS.

My newbish thought was to get the DB4 and point it due north & catch the cluster @ about 15degrees, and the cluster @ 316degress.

Do I have any hope of receiveing NBC & CBS if I go the easy route and put my antenna IN the attic??

If do put it on the roof, what precautions must be taken for lightning.

Code:
WTVI-DT 42.1    PBS     CHARLOTTE       NC              19°     15.3    11
WSOC-DT 9.1     ABC     CHARLOTTE       NC              13°     13.3    34
WCCB-DT 18.1    FOX     CHARLOTTE       NC              11°     13.6    27
WCNC-DT 36.1    NBC     CHARLOTTE       NC              316°    30.2    22
WBTV-DT 3.1     CBS     CHARLOTTE       NC              316°    31.6    23
Lastly I see lately that a FOX affiliate in Raleigh is knocking out reception for others. Not pointing my antenna at Raleigh I'd expect to be immune from this disturbing development. Is anything in HD that logical?
post #1007 of 7653
Hey Bob,

Someone in WCCB's news department needs a refresher course either in spelling or in southwestern US geography. Tonight's 10pm news showed a clip about dehydrated Mexicans sneaking across the border, with the legend "DEADLY HEAT / TUSCAN, AZ"
post #1008 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post

Does anyone know if WJZY is going to be operating at full power before the new TV season starts?

I receive WWWB (I forget the new callsign) perfectly, but have crap signal with WJZY, as I understand it, these stations are broadcast from the same tower right?

Why would CW pick an inferior channel!

OK I found the answer to my question, thanks to John Bishop at WJZY for responding to my email with much info.

Quote:


WCNC is at about 800kw and uses a side mount antenna, WBTV is at 1MW and uses a top mount antenna. WJZY was at 400kw with a side mount until June 28 when it was boosted to 1MW with a side mount antenna. WMYT (formerly WWWB) has always been at 200kw with a side mount antenna - low power antenna.

I think I actually do receive WJZY now better, since it's at full power, but I'm still going to try a CM4221 in place of my RS 40" Yagi to see if I get better reliability.
post #1009 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

Hey Bob,

Someone in WCCB's news department needs a refresher course either in spelling or in southwestern US geography. Tonight's 10pm news showed a clip about dehydrated Mexicans sneaking across the border, with the legend "DEADLY HEAT / TUSCAN, AZ"

No Mah yob, Man!
post #1010 of 7653
Since it's been a little trying sorting through 34 pages, I figured I'd just come out and ask

I'm in Fort Mill (Doby's Bridge south of 160) and I just ordered an SIR-T451 receiver. Now I've been looking at the DB2 and DB4 from Antennas Direct and the Winegard SS-2200. My only concern is that antennaweb shows CBS and ABC as VHF (3.1 and 9.1 respectively). Is that accurate and would I not be able to pick up these 2 stations with one of the above antennas since they list effectively 14-69?

All of the towers seem to be in the 25-30 mile range from the house and anywhere from 337 to 37 degrees (the stations I care about anyway). Is there a prefered antenna for this area that can pick up ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX (with UPN, WB and PBS coming in as a nice to have but not necessary second)?

Outside mount will be fine but I'll have about a 50' cable run, so not sure on amplifier or not.

Thanks
post #1011 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GndPrx View Post

Since it's been a little trying sorting through 34 pages, I figured I'd just come out and ask

I'm in Fort Mill (Doby's Bridge south of 160) and I just ordered an SIR-T451 receiver. Now I've been looking at the DB2 and DB4 from Antennas Direct and the Winegard SS-2200. My only concern is that antennaweb shows CBS and ABC as VHF (3.1 and 9.1 respectively). Is that accurate and would I not be able to pick up these 2 stations with one of the above antennas since they list effectively 14-69?

All of the towers seem to be in the 25-30 mile range from the house and anywhere from 337 to 37 degrees (the stations I care about anyway). Is there a prefered antenna for this area that can pick up ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX (with UPN, WB and PBS coming in as a nice to have but not necessary second)?

Outside mount will be fine but I'll have about a 50' cable run, so not sure on amplifier or not.

Thanks

3.1 and 9.1 are the virtual channel mappings. WBTV-DT is 23 and WSOC is 34. Both are UHF. The only VHF Digital station in our area is WTVI-DT.

I live in RH and they are spread for me about the same as you (348 to 45 degrees). I have a Square Shooter 2000 (the amplified model) and the antenna is in my attic. I can pick up the main networks you wish to get with semi regular accuracy. UPN/WB as well. My signal strength is usually in the high 70's to mid 80's. I find that's the weakest I can get and still have something watchable.
post #1012 of 7653
Ok, so the frequency assignment is the actual channel...big piece of information I didn't catch during my searching

That helps quite a bit and thank you!!
post #1013 of 7653
More problems! Has anyone else noticed a "jittery" or "stuttering" picture (motion artifacts?) on WBTV-DT (channel 3) and WCNC-DT (channel 36) via D*? I noticed it several days ago. It is apparent on both of my new H20 receivers. I've reset them, but the problem is still there. OTA does not have the same problem (at least with regard to WCNC--I don't get WBTV very well OTA).
I hate to think what football will look like if this problem persists! Thanks for your responses!

A followup: It seems this problem is only occurring on the two 1080i networks-- CBS and NBC. FOX and ABC (both 720p) don't seem to have this issue! Hopefully, D* can get this fixed!
post #1014 of 7653
I have the ProBrand Digital Stream 3150plus. I picked it up a CC this week after my used Motorola HDT-101 locked up (no fix Motorola won't do anything). Does anyone else have the ProBrand?

I am using a RS V/U TV antenna up about 30 feet. It would have been 35 feet but after taking the telescopic mast down for antenna adjustments we cant seem to get it all the way back up again! Anyway I was wondering what out of market signals you have been receiving if any. The only one I have ever seen is WXLV 45.1. I'm surprised I don't get WFMY or WSPA since their analog counterparts can be seen here.

I am in East Charlotte (28212) and find that WBTV, WCNC, WSOC, WCCB are solid and seem to be rather forgiving when it comes to pointing the antenna. WJZY and WMYT take turns being difficult, sometimes I get one but not the other which is strange since they are on the same tower. WNSC was real solid until just recently and WUNG has always been a pain!

I have a small dual band ham yagi above the TV antenna which I might take down and mount elsewhere. I also have one of those Zenith HD UHF outdoor antennas and wonder if it would work better that the RS V/U antenna. I won't even think about making any changes till the weather gets cooler!

I'm using the HD STB with a standard TV and you can still see the difference in quality!
post #1015 of 7653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

WJZY and WMYT take turns being difficult, sometimes I get one but not the other which is strange since they are on the same tower. WNSC was real solid until just recently and WUNG has always been a pain!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I usually get WJZY okay (28269) but WMYT has been a problem. At my house, WUNG has the distinction of a separate antenna and downlead which goes into a secondary input on the tuner (that was the only way I could get it to work concurrently without a rotor).

--Dale--
post #1016 of 7653
Just trying to confirm that my problems are hardware related.

I have a DirecTV HR10-250 and I can view most HD signals in the Gastonia area just fine when I am watching live. But recorded they are all pixelated. Are others having this problem? I believe this is a hardware problem, but before I mess with calling DirecTV I thought I ask other Charlotte area customers if you are having this same problem and that it may just be the quality of the local feeds for some reason.
post #1017 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post

Some basic questions.

I'm located in South East Charlotte Approximately Providence Road & I 485. I've been putting an HTPC together past few months and since football is looming. I'm running out of time to get antenna installed & Tuner card into the box.

Was looking at the DB4 antenna and my stated distance from the main cluster of digital stations (per antenna web) is 15 miles for PBS / ABC & FOX and 30 Miles for NBC & CBS.

My newbish thought was to get the DB4 and point it due north & catch the cluster @ about 15degrees, and the cluster @ 316degress.

Do I have any hope of receiveing NBC & CBS if I go the easy route and put my antenna IN the attic??

If do put it on the roof, what precautions must be taken for lightning.

Lastly I see lately that a FOX affiliate in Raleigh is knocking out reception for others. Not pointing my antenna at Raleigh I'd expect to be immune from this disturbing development. Is anything in HD that logical?

I'm on the East side of Charlotte around Independence and Idlewild and I get all the locals well except for WUNG with the antenna in one position. The antenna is a Radio Shack VU-90 at around 30 feet that has been up for quite awhile (I got it back when DirecTV didn't offer local channels!) Anyway I can find one position where I can get most of the locals. The Channel Master has better gain and a wide beam so if you don't have a problem with multipath it should work well. I'd try it in the attic first to see how it does (just don't make it permanent till you try it out). Let us know how it works out.

As for grounding if you mount the antenna outside it's probably a good idea to ground the mast. I'd use the Duke Power ground so that everything was grounded to a common point if the Duke ground is close by. Keep in mind there are a lot of different opinions on this and I don't claim to be an expert. If you go with a separate ground then you should tie to two grounds together to try and avoid ground loops.

Good Luck and don't forget to post your results!

Mike
post #1018 of 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I usually get WJZY okay (28269) but WMYT has been a problem. At my house, WUNG has the distinction of a separate antenna and downlead which goes into a secondary input on the tuner (that was the only way I could get it to work concurrently without a rotor).

--Dale--

Two years ago I received WJZY with excellent signal and stability here (at 3300') in Asheville, if my antenna is pointed that direction. During the last 6 months or so I receive a very weak signal that is somewhat unstable...definitely a change from the initial WJZY DT transmission.
Is that the "pattern" observed by others?
post #1019 of 7653
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry birdwell View Post

Two years ago I received WJZY with excellent signal and stability here (at 3300') in Asheville, if my antenna is pointed that direction. During the last 6 months or so I receive a very weak signal that is somewhat unstable...definitely a change from the initial WJZY DT transmission.
Is that the "pattern" observed by others?

That does seem to be a pattern in the posts from some of the more distant folks since UHF 27 came-on in Raleigh.

--Dale--
post #1020 of 7653
<----Does anyone know how to get this stupid Motorola HDT-101 out of here?

It's a thorn in my side. I'm still trying to get Motorola to fix a known defect that has turned it into a high priced doorstop.

I noticed the other day new TV sets (even regular ones) are starting to come with built in ATSC tuners built in. It's about time!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Charlotte, NC - OTA