or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › home theater in a loft, what to expect.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

home theater in a loft, what to expect.  

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi,

One side of my new theater room is mostly railings and I was wondering if the room acoustics can be modify in any way? I am afraid what to expect with a mostly open right side. The room demensions at 12 ft wide by 17ft long. I am thinking about ordering a Rocket HT Package # 2 from ********** which includes 2 - the RS 750 towers, 1 - RSC 200 center and 2- wall-mountable RSS300 adaptive dipole rear-surrounds plus a subwoofer.

thx
post #2 of 10
Thread Starter 
no replys ?
must be because I used the R word I guess.

:)
post #3 of 10
Hi, I also have a loft. You can view my HT photos in my gallery:

http://forum.**********/photopost/sho...r=1706&thumb=1



You have to calibrate due to the main speaker closest to the wall ( it tends to be 'louder' due to the reflections). Otherwise, you tend to get some interesting reverb from the high ceiling (the delay in my ceiling reflection is enough to actually 'sound' like there is reverb coming from the rears sometimes!!!

In general, large spaces require a bit more amplification. I am very satisfied with the SPL I can get with my 55TXi and HT#1 setup. (typical levels are 60-70 dB)

Hope this helps....
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by cwb4tx

In general, large spaces require a bit more amplification. I am very satisfied with the SPL I can get with my 55TXi and HT#1 setup. (typical levels are 60-70 dB)
Good advice. You have to look at the space as a whole, and it can take some serious amplification to fill a tall, cavernous room and loft.

I am finally, after 3 years, enclosing my loft to make a dedicated HT...

John
post #5 of 10
John, I would lke to see how you are designing that enclosure... DO you have pics or drawrngs?


Perperitu,

A bit more to think about... My subwoofer is terribly underpowered (DCM sub210...) for this size of a room...

I have a subwoofer on order from Onix (UFW-12 - there are lots of other beefy subs that could also tackle a large space like SVS, HSU, etc.)

I think there is a disproportionate amout of power needed to get proper bass levels in large spaces (mine is about 30k cubic feet..)

Also, I think the nulls and peaks in this space are very dramatic (fewer modes excited maybe? but they seem stronger - possibly due to having one big box as an enclosure...).

- So I am also buying a prouct from ONIX called RDES. It's a digital multiband parametric EQ that should allow me to get a fully flat bass response. There is at least one other device out there in good regard (Beringer feedback destroyer)
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by cwb4tx
John, I would lke to see how you are designing that enclosure... DO you have pics or drawrngs?
I will post some pix as I get a chance. There were many obstacles to deal with, as my loft was open on 2 sides and the 2 solid walls had "cut-outs" for floor-to-ceiling windows. I will be about $5K into it when all is done. Regards,

John
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
thank you for the great response. I was thinking of a heavy curtain that I can pull across the two sections of railing to enclose the area. It looks like some type calabration is required . I will look into Onix EQ, although moving a bunch of frequency sliders up and down and not being 100 percent sure what are the best settings can be confusing.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by pespiritu
thank you for the great response. I was thinking of a heavy curtain that I can pull across the two sections of railing to enclose the area. It looks like some type calabration is required . I will look into Onix EQ, although moving a bunch of frequency sliders up and down and not being 100 percent sure what are the best settings can be confusing.
If you are only concerned about the listener, curtains may help get better sound. If you are trying to keep sound from the rest of the house, they won't do much to isolate the room...

Regards,

John
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by pespiritu
thank you for the great response. I was thinking of a heavy curtain that I can pull across the two sections of railing to enclose the area. It looks like some type calibration is required . I will look into Onix EQ, although moving a bunch of frequency sliders up and down and not being 100 percent sure what are the best settings can be confusing.
Give is some drawing or photo to work with ad we can help more. I am a little grey on the exact layout...

On the EQ.. It's not as bad as that. What you get (for the RDES..) Is a way to record the room response (say from 14 Hz to 100 Hz) NOTE - this IS NOT for mid or high freqs....

You then create (on your PC!) an inverse curve to counter dips and peaks. Load it into your RDES box. Then remeasure. It might take three loops to get it right, but in the end you get to see the flat curve you are trying to attain...

NOTE: RDES is not out yet, Q1 05... I can post a full review of how it went tuning, etc. after I get it and the subwoofer.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by pespiritu
Hi,

One side of my new theater room is mostly railings and I was wondering if the room acoustics can be modify in any way? I am afraid what to expect with a mostly open right side. The room demensions at 12 ft wide by 17ft long. I am thinking about ordering a Rocket HT Package # 2 from ********** which includes 2 - the RS 750 towers, 1 - RSC 200 center and 2- wall-mountable RSS300 adaptive dipole rear-surrounds plus a subwoofer.

thx
I have HT #3, and no sub yet. Room is 18 x 35 x 10. No problem filling room with sound using an Onkyo 702 (listening level is at -17 dB). The RSS300s are nice for surround sound. But with one wall mostly railings, where do you plan to mount the 300s?

-T
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › home theater in a loft, what to expect.