MANY things can go wrong with this quirky setup, including the issues listed above. I've botched recordings due to
1. improper tape length
2. bad S-VHS tapes (a certain batch of Maxell's just didn't work)
3. forgetting to tell the timer to 'record' (leaving the timer 'off' instead)
4. wrong time (1 hour off due to me living in CST and listings are posted EST). DOH!
5. wrong channel
6. rain fade
7. ruining a good recording by not removing the record tab
7a. accidentally pressing the record button on Pronto
7b. inserting a tape while an old timer setting from the previous week was active, causing VCR to jump into record mode.
8. trying to record on a tape with the record tab removed (hah!)
9. loose coax connection on the back of the Panny tuner, giving rise to sporadic dropouts
10. dropouts at the source (like HBO's month long run of dropouts back in May)
11. no tape in the VCR
Looking at this list, just leave it to Murphy to screw something up. All in all, the combo is pretty unforgiving. But it's worth it when you get it right. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
[This message has been edited by dahester (edited 08-22-2001).]