or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Official SED, Info, Discussion, Etc Thread!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official SED, Info, Discussion, Etc Thread!!! - Page 61  

post #1801 of 2847
Welcome back Rogo. I hear that iFire is close to signing a deal with Sanyo. :D ;)
post #1802 of 2847
Well if you look at some of the other threads, 1080p LCDs and plasmas aren't all that yet.

The Bravia XBRs seem to be getting mixed reviews and those aren't exactly cheap.

So can you blame guys for wanting something better?
post #1803 of 2847
[quote=wco81]Well if you look at some of the other threads, 1080p LCDs and plasmas aren't all that yet.

Exactly which 1080p plasmas, "aren't all that yet"? How many have you seen? Of the 2 manufactuers and 3 models that I spent some time evaluating at CES, I considered all to be of stellar PQ. We won't know for some time yet if they will stand up to real world viewing, but the potential is certainly there. The 50" Pio is out, and definately pricey at 10K, but the ability to view it from 5' with no SDE visible is a plus. And with a true 1080p signal, it may very well be all that.
post #1804 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
Welcome back Rogo
:)
post #1805 of 2847
Rogo: AVS has suffered like Camelot did until Arthur drank from the Holy Grail. Welcome back!

Rogo my take is this: Flat Panel LCD looks like crap from off angle and the Pioneer 50-inch Plasma isn't a bowl of cherries either.

I don't know how the 65-inch 1080p Panasonic will look like--it won't be cheap--what are you looking forward to?

How long will it be before you can get decent quality 1080p Plasma of at least 65-inches so yuu can appreciate the extra resolution for just under 5K?

You're the greatest guesser around here--what does Merlin's crystal ball say?
post #1806 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood
How long will it be before you can get decent quality 1080p Plasma of at least 65-inches so yuu can appreciate the extra resolution for just under 5K?
Is this a realistic expectation?

What will push the best plasma makers like Panasonic and Pioneer to cut prices so much?

What is going to drive them to do this?

Are there some breakthroughs in manufacturing costs for the highest-quality plasmas?
post #1807 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
Incredibly shameless self-promotion.

Muhahahahahaha.

(Ready to buy a 57-65 inch flat-panel 1080p display as soon as one offers reasonable price/performance.... )
Me too. :eek:

You and I have "unfinished" business, but your PM folder is full. ;)

It's great to hear from you.
post #1808 of 2847
[quote=Tonypaul]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
Well if you look at some of the other threads, 1080p LCDs and plasmas aren't all that yet.

Exactly which 1080p plasmas, "aren't all that yet"? How many have you seen? Of the 2 manufactuers and 3 models that I spent some time evaluating at CES, I considered all to be of steller PQ. We won't know for some time yet if they will stand up to real world viewing, but the potential is certainly there. The 50" Pio is out, and definately pricey at 10K, but the ability to view it from 5' with no SDE visible is a plus. And with a true 1080p signal, it may very well be all that.
The Pioneer PRO-FHD1 can be bought for much less than the 10K MSRP, and I would imagine the upcoming Panasonic 1080p 65"er will have a large price drop once it has been out for a month or so.
post #1809 of 2847
I wonder if Panasonic would come out with a 58-inch 1080p plasma set--it wouldn't cost so much and would be minimally big enough.
post #1810 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood
I wonder if Panasonic would come out with a 58-inch 1080p plasma set--it wouldn't cost so much and would be minimally big enough.
Panny will be releasing its 58" 1080p Plasma in Japan around October. Look for it to come to the US next year.
post #1811 of 2847
The MSRP for a 58PX60U is $5499.95, while the 65PHD8UK is $11,995.00; I doubt you will see any 1080p PDPs in the 60" or near 60" category being priced in the $5K range for a number of years.
post #1812 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
The MSRP for a 58PX60U is $5499.95, while the 65PHD8UK is $11,995.00; I doubt you will see any 1080p PDPs in the 60" or near 60" category being priced in the $5K range for a number of years.
Those are not the latest 1080p models. Here are the new 1080p Panny Plasmas:

Panasonic TH58PZ600....MSRP $7280.00....release date in Japan is for Sept.2006

Panasonic TH65PZ600...MSRP approx. $8500.00...release date in Japan for Sept.2006.

Other PZ600 Series models are a 50"er & the infamous 103"er.

You've been following Panasonic Plasma TV's for some time and know their history for pricing and actual street prices. Take it from there.
post #1813 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy
Those are not the latest 1080p models. Here are the new 1080p Panny Plasmas:

Panasonic TH58PZ600....MSRP $7280.00....release date in Japan is for Sept.2006

Panasonic TH65PZ600...MSRP approx. $8500.00...release date in Japan for Sept.2006.

Other PZ600 Series models are a 50"er & the infamous 103"er.

You've been following Panasonic Plasma TV's for some time and know their history for pricing and actual street prices. Take it from there.
The "street price" for a 50" PRO-FHD1 is ~$8K... IMO it's highly unlikely we'll see a Panasonic 58" - 65" 1080p PDP available in the US during 2007... perhaps by the end of 2008 or 2009; as I said... a number of years.
post #1814 of 2847
Maybe...but my thinking is that those new Japan models will arrive on our shores about the same time frame as did the last models...around this time 2007...provided the 1080p 65"er is released here on schedule late next month. Isn't that the same time frame that Toshiba/Canon last spoke on the SED release date (Q3 2007)??
post #1815 of 2847
Who knows? Only time will tell. ;)
post #1816 of 2847
Had to throw in a SED comment some freak'in place on that post, otherwise too far off the OT Reservation. Yeah, who knows what, when, where, how about SED's future. ALL IS QUIET on the homefront, and this has me thinking something A LOT more wrong than some silly lame pricing strategy on Toshiba/Canon's part.
post #1817 of 2847
Plasma prices WILL come down a little more than most people here think NOT because Flat Panel LCD 's quality is any good but because they will be priced low enough with 52-inch versions less than 5K and shouting that they're 1080p that enough less knowledgeable people will buy them--so plasma will have to lower prices more than they would like to lower them.

I think that wil be a good thing--I think sometime in 2007 you will see a 58-inch 1080p Plasma sell on the street for $4999-maybe Christmas 2007!

The only way SED will ever sell is if they put Fujisu's name on it and make sure it comes in all black!
post #1818 of 2847
Thank God that there is this SED thread. Where else could Plasma fans go to post their thoughts on future Plasma developments. You would think that by now someone would have started some Plasma threads. Why are Plasma fans left out in the cold!. ;)
post #1819 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland
Thank God that there is this SED thread. Where else could Plasma fans go to post their thoughts on future Plasma developments. You would think that by now someone would have started some Plasma threads. Why are Plasma fans left out in the cold!. ;)
I am a LCD fan myself, but I agree with you. Although no place is safe from fanboys of either type.

Interestingly enough someone started a thread about why there seem to be more plasma threads than LCD related threads. Link to it here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=715377

Started reading this thread to keep up on the news about SAD (the company I work for makes LCD/Plasma manufacturing equipment). SED and OLED technology that could be printed on via a exotic type of printer would be bad news for us, so although I look forward to SED I hope Tosh/Canon continue to have problems in the printing part of it and go to traditional methods.
post #1820 of 2847
"IMO it's highly unlikely we'll see a Panasonic 58" - 65" 1080p PDP available in the US during 2007."

IMO, it's highly likely you are going to be quite wrong.
post #1821 of 2847
I am sure everyone here knows this by now, but just incase, I read an article in the September 2006 edition of Sound & Vision by Al Griffin that Toshiba plans to introduce SED to coincide with the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. So, we will see about that. The article is a pretty good read, so if you do not have a subscription Id pick it up at the news stand or read it on line when it becomes available.
post #1822 of 2847
For those who missed it here is a good link from last year explaining the SED panel in more detail.

http://neasia.nikkeibp.com/neasia/002048
post #1823 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
"IMO it's highly unlikely we'll see a Panasonic 58" - 65" 1080p PDP available in the US during 2007."

IMO, it's highly likely you are going to be quite wrong.
Isn't it about time someone started at least one Panasonic Plasma thread, so folks are not forced to communicate about them on a SED thread. Let us all do the right thing and support Panasonic Plasma fans in their right to have at least one thread about their product. ;)
post #1824 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG
I am a LCD fan myself, but I agree with you. Although no place is safe from fanboys of either type.

Interestingly enough someone started a thread about why there seem to be more plasma threads than LCD related threads. Link to it here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=715377

Started reading this thread to keep up on the news about SAD (the company I work for makes LCD/Plasma manufacturing equipment). SED and OLED technology that could be printed on via a exotic type of printer would be bad news for us, so although I look forward to SED I hope Tosh/Canon continue to have problems in the printing part of it and go to traditional methods.
Was that where Canon was supposed to develop a way to print the SED actuator array. I think that did not work out. They were supposed to be counting on that approach to lower production costs, and to be able to mass produce with standardized quality. With all the past delivery dates that never came to pass, it would behoove Toshiba/Canon to level with the public as to where the SED project actually stands. After all the previous promises that they never delivered on, they are in danger of being viewed like the boy who cried wolf.

Perhaps I should start another LCD thread, to compete with the Plasma crowd. I will title the thread: The Salma Hayek LCD. (Large chest display) :)
post #1825 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland
Isn't it about time someone started at least one Panasonic Plasma thread, so folks are not forced to communicate about them on a SED thread. Let us all do the right thing and support Panasonic Plasma fans in their right to have at least one thread about their product. ;)
The man has 23,000 posts. If he wants to debunk anti-plasma statements in the SED thread let him be. :D
post #1826 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur_255
The man has 23,000 posts. If he wants to debunk anti-plasma statements in the SED thread let him be. :D
What Rogo was debunking was not anti-plasma rhetoric, but rather 'predictions' on timing that are almost certainly wrong.
post #1827 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhman
I am sure everyone here knows this by now, but just incase, I read an article in the September 2006 edition of Sound & Vision by Al Griffin that Toshiba plans to introduce SED to coincide with the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. So, we will see about that. The article is a pretty good read, so if you do not have a subscription Id pick it up at the news stand or read it on line when it becomes available.
So, it seems that SED has been delayed yet again.

Wasn't it supposed to first come to market in Spring of this year (2006)? Then it was delayed until the end of of 2007. Now they are saying Summer 2008.

This seems like a bad joke. I guess it would be nice for these displays to exist someday, but I'm not counting on it. Vaporware, indeed.
post #1828 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur_255
The man has 23,000 posts. If he wants to debunk anti-plasma statements in the SED thread let him be. :D
Well of course, but the last post from him, which I cited, had nothing to do with debunking. It was simple a speculative comment on future Panny Plasma developments. I am all for allowing a 23,000 post blatherskite to freely express himself. I just think it is not fair to force Plasma worshippers to have to conduct their services in the temple of SED. Let his people go. Let them have at least one plasma thread where they can utter the mystic incantations of the Plasma doctrine. Are not plasma fans human beings too. If you cut them, do they not bleed. I plead with you people, please stop depriving them of a measly Plasma thread or two on which to communicate about plasma issues. Is that too much to ask for. Call me a dreamer, but deep in my heart, I do believe, that one day the downtrodden Plasmaites shall overcome. I feel better now, for having spoken up for fairness and justice. Did someone say: "Nobel Peace Price, nominee"? :D
post #1829 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy
Had to throw in a SED comment some freak'in place on that post, otherwise too far off the OT Reservation. Yeah, who knows what, when, where, how about SED's future. ALL IS QUIET on the homefront, and this has me thinking something A LOT more wrong than some silly lame pricing strategy on Toshiba/Canon's part.
My Spidey senses is telling me that a big annoucement is forthcoming from Toshiba/Canon regarding the future of SED. I think within the next several months we are going hear something that's going to make videophiles smile
from ear to ear. :D
post #1830 of 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55
My Spidey senses is telling me that a big annoucement is forthcoming from Toshiba/Canon regarding the future of SED. I think within the next several months we are going hear something that's going to make videophiles smile
from ear to ear. :D
Come on, what do you hear. Give us a hint. Toshiba/Canon have made several big announcements in the past about the future of SED, and none of them came through. What are you picking up on that would lead you to think that the next big announcement will be any different. Hurry up and answer please, before the plasma crowd says that SED will not get made because plasma is perfect. Time to propose shutting down the patent office, like they did in the past. They said, back then, that all breakthroughs in patentable research had been accomplished.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Official SED, Info, Discussion, Etc Thread!!!