OK ... I have tentatively added the 78 series info to the top of this thread. Samsung if you are listening please let us know what is up ... at any rate this has added another open issue to our list. Current open issues are shown below.
1. What is the PQ on the new 1080p models?
2. What TI DLP chips are used in the new models? TI and Samsung are not discussing chips, simply referring to 1080p chips and 720p chips. One press release from Optoma talked about a HD4 (720p) chip and therefore it is really tough to understand what is going on with these chips. When TI introduced the xHD3 (1080p) they claimed a 5000:1 contrast ratio, so it would seem they have a new chip since this has risen to 10000:1 now.
3. What are the depth measurements, and or dimensions, on the new models by model number? Even a couple of reference points would allow us to see the trend.
4. Which models will offer IEEE 1394 ports? What will be the capability of those ports? A news report from TWICE mentioned 1394, was it just in error? IEEE 1394 info was from www.twice.com
5. What is the contrast ratio spec's for the HLR5087W 720p pedestal model?
6. Confirm the number of HDMI inputs on the 67 series 720p models. Will there be 1 or 2 HDMI inputs?
7. Are these all of the planned models for 2005, or will Samsung be adding models later in the year? Last year they announced all of the 2004 models at CES.
8. Why aren't there any 46 or 50 1080p sets? I would really like to see a 50. Many have commented that 1080p is not needed or wasted at these sizes, but that does not make sense to me as I sit here working on a small computer monitor with more resolution than a 1080p HDTV.
9. Which of the current models will be continuing? Specifically, what are the plans for the HLPxx74W, Tantus thin bezel models. Many planning to buy in 2005 might want to know the fate of this HD2+ unit.
10. Can the 68 series or 88 series 1080p sets accept a 1080p signal via the HDMI input? The general feeling is that the answer is NO ... but, did anyone ask this specific question?
11. What is the capability of the 68/88 series 1080p sets to handle computer/video gaming?
12. What computer resolutions are supported on the 1080p 68 and 88 series sets (1920x1080?)? How would this work through the HDMI connection (via DVI - HDMI cable?) See VGA / PC question below.
13. PRIORITY QUESTION: Is a VGA / PC connector going to be offered on any of the 2005 models?
14. TOP PRIORITY QUESTION: Can anyone confirm that the 78 series 50" and 70" models are real production models?