or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › MyHD MDP-130
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MyHD MDP-130 - Page 403

post #12061 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

I've been using a 19" LCD for several years with my desktop. This LCD is around 4x3, so the picture I get is lopped off at the sides if the content is 16x9. For serious viewing, I use a projector whose native resolution is 720p, which is about 16x9 and when I go this route I get approximately the aspect ratio of broadcast HDTV, I figure.

I figure I'd get close to the correct aspect ratio with this 22" LED display:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX22...pr_product_top

If I get that, would I be able to configure the display to handle the 720p resolution of the MyHD 130/daughterboard or another equivalent resolution? I know the MyHD130 doesn't put out 1080p. Is there such a thing as OTA 1080p HDTV?

Electrically it should be a perfect match to your MyHD's daughterboard DVI output (DVI and HDMI are electrically equivalent for our purpose, requiring only different connectors on the MyHD end of the cable), and it will definitely display both 720p and 1080i OTA DTV in correct aspect. My guess is that it will look fantastic compared to your 19" (5:4 1280x1024?) monitor, except that it will be a tad shorter. I think that you may find some 16:9 24" screens near that price point that would be closer to your existing display's actual picture height.
post #12062 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Electrically it should be a perfect match to your MyHD's daughterboard DVI output (DVI and HDMI are electrically equivalent for our purpose, requiring only different connectors on the MyHD end of the cable), and it will definitely display both 720p and 1080i OTA DTV in correct aspect.

Did you even read what I wrote about the monitor that the OP selected? It is a computer only monitor. It will not display 720p or 1080i. Those resolutions are missing from the list of those that it supports.

Just because the monitor has a DVI connector, doesn't mean that it will display the video sent down that connector.
post #12063 of 12461
It will display 720p and 1080i using its own scaler. Do you really think that it could score only 6 1-star Amazon reviews out of 273 if it didn't do a decent job on 720p/1080i inputs?? Gimme a break.
post #12064 of 12461
As a computer monitor it could certainly obtain that score. But it will not work as a computer monitor plus "consumer" video display.

Please read the manual for this monitor. I did. Consumer video is not supported.

The OP needs to look for a monitor that has VGA, DVI (both analog and digital) and HDMI. Having HDMI is a good start to the monitor supporting consumer video. Even then, one has to read the specs, which most of the time do not list what the monitor will support. That is why I always download the manual and look. If that doesn't list what it can do, I would avoid it.
post #12065 of 12461
Thanks for the replies, details and explanations. A 22-24" 1080p that supports consumer video would then support 720p or 1080i. Here's a question I have:

Will it support 720p as well as a display whose "native resolution" is 720p? IOW, is a 720p 22-24" display really a better idea here? If the picture is as good for both, a 1080p has the upside of not becoming obsolete so soon.

I like the idea of always downloading the manual before making a buying decision, certainly when there are unanswered pre-buy questions such as in this case. I like to download manuals even when I have printed versions. That allows me to do word/phrase searches.
post #12066 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
TWill it support 720p as well as a display whose "native resolution" is 720p? IOW, is a 720p 22-24" display really a better idea here? If the picture is as good for both, a 1080p has the upside of not becoming obsolete so soon.
NO! You really want a computer monitor/TV display combo that does 1920x1080. You don't want a display that only goes to 1280x720. You'd be throwing away a lot of image resolution by doing so.

You can leave the MyHD set for native, i.e., if you tune in ABC, or Fox (or maybe PBS), the 720p will be upconverted (by the monitor) to 1920x1080 for displaying on the monitor. When you tune in the others, which are 1080i, you'll be all set. If you get a display that only goes to 1280x720, the display will have to downconvert 1920x1080 video to 1280x720. Not good.

Plus, with a 1920x1080 display, you'll have more display area for the computer output.

And, with the HDMI input, you can connect your Blu-ray player to the monitor. Don't have one yet? You will

720p displays are rapidly becoming obsolete. With the price of 1080 displays being a lot cheaper now, no one gets a 720p.

Quote:
I like the idea of always downloading the manual before making a buying decision, certainly when there are unanswered pre-buy questions such as in this case. I like to download manuals even when I have printed versions. That allows me to do word/phrase searches.
Same here.
post #12067 of 12461
Thanks for the updates. Hope to find what I want by my birthday in 6 weeks. Summer starts this AM. I'm celebrating it, happy summer all!
post #12068 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Thanks for the updates. Hope to find what I want by my birthday in 6 weeks. Summer starts this AM. I'm celebrating it, happy summer all!
Muse,

For me, the monitor must be HDCP compliant on the digital inputs (DVI and/or HDMI). Click here for a Newegg monitor search, select the HDCP option and the desired screen size. The search results should produce a selection of monitors that should work for you. There may be other criteria that you will want to use, for example, many of the H-Ps do not have a VESA Wall Mount.
post #12069 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

Thanks for the updates. Hope to find what I want by my birthday in 6 weeks. Summer starts this AM. I'm celebrating it, happy summer all!

Summer started during the noon hour in the CT zone. And later today, a sign of summer will be thundering through

Good luck with your search. Wendell has a very good point.. But I don't know of any monitor/display that handles consumer video, with HDMI, to not have HDCP (bought and paid for by Hollygreed). Still, best to make sure.
post #12070 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

NO! You really want a computer monitor/TV display combo that does 1920x1080. You don't want a display that only goes to 1280x720. You'd be throwing away a lot of image resolution by doing so.

You can leave the MyHD set for native, i.e., if you tune in ABC, or Fox (or maybe PBS), the 720p will be upconverted (by the monitor) to 1920x1080 for displaying on the monitor. When you tune in the others, which are 1080i, you'll be all set. If you get a display that only goes to 1280x720, the display will have to downconvert 1920x1080 video to 1280x720. Not good.

Plus, with a 1920x1080 display, you'll have more display area for the computer output.

And, with the HDMI input, you can connect your Blu-ray player to the monitor. Don't have one yet? You will

720p displays are rapidly becoming obsolete. With the price of 1080 displays being a lot cheaper now, no one gets a 720p.

Trying to wrap my head around this stuff.

I never even noticed "Native" in the list of MyHD resolutions. What I've been doing is changing from 1280 x 720 to 1280 x 1024 when I switch from my 720p projector to my 19" LCD. If you set MyHD to "Native" does it detect the display and automatically change the resolution? If so, I've been doing a LOT of wasted motion!

Digital Connections lists the MyHD resolutions:

720x480p
864x480
800x600p
1024x768p
1280x720p
1280x1024p
1360x768p
1440x1080i
1920x1080i
Supports 4:3 or 16:9

is the 1920x1080i the same as what you call 1920x1080? I suppose not. Is 1920x1080 the same as 1080p?

Yes, I expect I'll have Blu-ray one day! Hope so!
post #12071 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

I never even noticed "Native" in the list of MyHD resolutions. What I've been doing is changing from 1280 x 720 to 1280 x 1024 when I switch from my 720p projector to my 19" LCD. If you set MyHD to "Native" does it detect the display and automatically change the resolution? If so, I've been doing a LOT of wasted motion!

Before I got my ASUS 1080 monitor/display, I too had a 1280x1024 monitor connected, but I used the VGA output. I do not know if the daughterboard DVI output can be configured like the VGA output. And since it has been quite a while now, I do not remember the exact setup, but you can also configure what the display resolution is of the connected monitor. Whenever I switched the MyHD to HD output, I always got a letterboxed 1280x720p video display. It was never center cut.

Quote:


is the 1920x1080i the same as what you call 1920x1080? I suppose not. Is 1920x1080 the same as 1080p?

1920x1080 can either be interlaced or progressive. It depends on the source. When connected to the computer, it will be 1080p and when connected to the MyHD, and tuned to a 1080i station, it will be 1080i.
post #12072 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

If you set MyHD to "Native" does it detect the display and automatically change the resolution?

No, it means what comes in is what goes out (no scaling). There are eleven 1080 scanning rates in SMPTE 274M. Will try to post more later.
post #12073 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

But I don't know of any monitor/display that handles consumer video, with HDMI, to not have HDCP (bought and paid for by Hollygreed).

According to Newegg there are models with HDMI that do not have HDCP. Only verified one model, it had two HDMI connectors but it was not HDCP complaint (at least their (Panasonic/ViewSonic) manuals and Newegg made no mention of it). There are many models with DVI that are not HDCP compliant.
post #12074 of 12461
Is HDCP compliant all that important now?

I do use the scaler, all the time, set for 1280x1024p for the best aspect ratio on two 23" Acer monitors.
post #12075 of 12461
HDCP is irrelevant for MyHD but vital for playing Blu-Ray disks from your PC using something like PowerDVD.
post #12076 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post

Is HDCP compliant all that important now?

As Terry said. For Blu-ray stand alone, HDCP is a must. That makes it nice as a backup test monitor if one has a projector.

We were talking about computer monitors and if they could be used with the MyHD series. If they are HDCP compliant then they should (i.e. 1080i, 720p, 480i). Click here for an example of a 1080 x 1920 monitor that should work and at a price that seems unreal. I paid almost $700.00 ($1,127.00 in 2011 dollars) for a Sony 13" color computer monitor in the early 90's, most everyone else was using paper whites, ambers or green monochromes.
post #12077 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

As Terry said. For Blu-ray stand alone, HDCP is a must. That makes it nice as a backup test monitor if one has a projector.

We were talking about computer monitors and if they could be used with the MyHD series. If they are HDCP compliant then they should (i.e. 1080i, 720p, 480i). Click here for an example of a 1080 x 1920 monitor that should work and at a price that seems unreal.

Since I waited too late to upgrade my HD-130 with a daughter card which now seem hard to get without getting gouged and therefore have no DVI only VGA output, would I be wasting money replacing a 17" DELL CRT with this ACER LCD monitor in terms of video picture quality?
post #12078 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddir View Post

Since I waited too late to upgrade my HD-130 with a daughter card which now seem hard to get without getting gouged and therefore have no DVI only VGA output, would I be wasting money replacing a 17" DELL CRT with this ACER LCD monitor in terms of video picture quality?

CRT & LCD have their strong and weak attributes so it becomes a personal preference. I am assuming your 17" Dell is a 4 x 3 (resolution ?) monitor, the ACER is 16 x 9 and 1080 x 1920 resolution. The size increase, aspect ratio and resolution upgrade would be enough to sell me on a new one (I have a ASUS 22" [16 x 10] and a ASUS 23" [16 x 9] LCD). You could connect your computer graphics via DVI and your MDP-130 via VGA. Just make sure it is easy to switch between inputs on your monitor. The switching on my 22" requires a menu selection (dumb) to switch inputs, my 23" switching is done with a front panel button. My 23" has handshake issues, my 22" does not.

MDP-130DVI daughter cards show up on eBay from time to time, expect to pay $30 to $50 + shipping for one. Several months ago I lucked out and won a MDP-130 with daughter card for around $35 + shipping. A short time ago I won a bid for a MDP-130DVI daughter card for about $40 + shipping. I have had MDP-120's with daughter cards for many years but recently moved to the mountainous NC area so I needed cards that could do QAM. Unfortunately, the MDP-120 daughter card will not work on the MDP-130.
post #12079 of 12461
The ACER I'm interested in is the model you embedded the NewEgg link to. From looking at the item description pictures, I don't see a front panel switch to go back and forth between inputs. So it will probably be a menu situation. Do you find that to be a total pain in the a**? BTW my Nvidia control panel for this Dell 17" 4x3 monitor allows my desktop to display all the up to 2048 X 1536 so how am I gaining better resolution with a 1080 x 1920 LCD?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

CRT & LCD have their strong and weak attributes so it becomes a personal preference. I am assuming your 17" Dell is a 4 x 3 (resolution ?) monitor, the ACER is 16 x 9 and 1080 x 1920 resolution. The size increase, aspect ratio and resolution upgrade would be enough to sell me on a new one (I have a ASUS 22" [16 x 10] and a ASUS 23" [16 x 9] LCD). You could connect your computer graphics via DVI and your MDP-130 via VGA. Just make sure it is easy to switch between inputs on your monitor. The switching on my 22" requires a menu selection (dumb) to switch inputs, my 23" switching is done with a front panel button. My 23" has handshake issues, my 22" does not.

MDP-130DVI daughter cards show up on eBay from time to time, expect to pay $30 to $50 + shipping for one. Several months ago I lucked out and won a MDP-130 with daughter card for around $35 + shipping. A short time ago I won a bid for a MDP-130DVI daughter card for about $40 + shipping. I have had MDP-120's with daughter cards for many years but recently moved to the mountainous NC area so I needed cards that could do QAM. Unfortunately, the MDP-120 daughter card will not work on the MDP-130.
post #12080 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddir View Post

The ACER I'm interested in is the model you embedded the NewEgg link to. From looking at the item description pictures, I don't see a front panel switch to go back and forth between inputs. So it will probably be a menu situation. Do you find that to be a total pain in the a**? BTW my Nvidia control panel for this Dell 17" 4x3 monitor allows my desktop to display all the up to 2048 X 1536 so how am I gaining better resolution with a 1080 x 1920 LCD?
Thanks

BTW, it is 1920x1080 (width x height).

If the native resolution of the 17" is 2048 X 1536, then you don't gain anything at all. You are only going to gain physical size.

As for the input selection, download the manual and read what it can do.
post #12081 of 12461
^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddir View Post

So it will probably be a menu situation. Do you find that to be a total pain in the a**?

Yes. FWIW, the monitor in question is switched via menu (or so says the manual).

Just to be clear, most recording and editing is done on the office PC's. The playback is via a HTPC which is connected to a video projector (click the RED in my signature line for a list of equipment) via a switcher.
post #12082 of 12461
My two Acers are the X223W series , 1680x1050 bought in 2008 after the failure of both of my CRTs, one after the other but I've been
happy with both for TV and Display via VGA and since there is no button on front I guess they too are a menu select.
[need to drag out the manuals]
post #12083 of 12461
Before I offer this up for sale on eBay, I thought I'd pass it by people who know what to do with it first. To recap, this only works with the MDP-120 card, and produces DVI output. Although it takes up another PCI 'slot', it does not actually plug in to the motherboard. But you know all that.

These things are pretty hard to come by now, so if you need a replacement, let me know.
post #12084 of 12461
Thread is dead??
post #12085 of 12461
People still using this?
post #12086 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post

Thread is dead??

No, but not much to say when everything works.
post #12087 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

People still using this?

Yes X2.

Yes, it just works.
post #12088 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post

Thread is dead??

As of 09/25/2011 it has 1,143,253 views. I am a long time user (started with the MDP-100) and on occasion will search this thread for info.
post #12089 of 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

No, but not much to say when everything works.

One way of putting it. I still use the card to play everything recorded off my antenna. Hi Terry.
post #12090 of 12461
I suppose I'll get something else but for now I see no compelling reason.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › MyHD MDP-130